Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Ninshack posted:

Quick background, although not all may be relevent. We've got around 50 sites connected via frame relay (various circuit sizes depending on office size) with GET VPN for encryption. Pretty much three hub and spoke topologies, one per lata. We don't directly manage the routers or circuits, but are expected to work the provider to make sure they are working properly.

We've been having issues with exchange/outlook running in cached mode saturating our circuits (exchange servers located at the hubs). This usually occurs when a traveling user logs into a new box, downloading their entire mailbox, or an e-mail with an attachment (sometimes as small as 3 MB) is sent to a distribution list and all the cached clients try to download simultaneously.

Our opinion has always been, "yeah its going to make the whole office suck, you're clogging the pipe." But there's been some questioning of how much latency should be incurred when we hit saturation or "how bad should it suck".

What kind of factors determine how much latency is incured during circuit saturation assuming no qos? Number of flows? Router hardware? Should there be a difference in latency the rest of the office experiences when a single session app clogs the pipe (outlook mailbox download) vs when many sessions are competing for the bandwidth?

Sorry if this isn't exactly cisco specific.

Wan accelerators is the answer. What was the question again? Wait, what am I saying, it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

J. Elliot Razorledgeball posted:

We're looking to implement some type of automatic control for updating firewall rules and that on some of our ASAs, is there any type of API available for retrieving and setting configuration values or do I really need to try and interface with it over SSH and parse that garbage out?

I may not be reading deep enough into this but what about changing firewall rules manually is such a bad thing?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

TheHeadSage posted:

I guess this is just a sanity check question but here's the situation.

I've got a Cisco 2621 router and a Cisco 1950 switch. Currently it's just routing the one network with no vlans or special tricks. As we've now run out of IPs in the block given to us, we've got a new block assigned to us.

To use this new block on the same router/switch combo, I'll have to move all the existing stuff onto it's own VLAN, setup a subinterface FA0/1.1 for this VLAN, then create a second subinterface and VLAN for the new network?

Is this correct or am I just gonna have to fork out for a new WIC? I'm asking because it's been a good few years since I last touched this stuff.

Don't forget you'll have to configure trunking on the router and the switch (which boils down to a couple of interface commands) but otherwise yep do that. Having never touched secondary addresses before I can't speak for that method.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Brb booking a plane to new york

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Stupid question, whats your config register set to? (sh ver; at the bottom). It should be 2102.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I'm toying around with frame relay and I'm having a serious "what the gently caress" moment:

pre:
R1#sh ip int br
Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
Ethernet0/0                unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down    
Serial0/0                  192.168.1.1     YES manual up                    up      
Ethernet0/1                unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down    
Ethernet1/0                unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down    
TokenRing1/0               unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down    
R1#ping 192.168.1.1

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.1.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)
R1#
How can a router fail to ping its' own interface?

R1#sh run int serial0/0
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 138 bytes
!
interface Serial0/0
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
encapsulation frame-relay
frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.2 100 broadcast
end

I might be missing some frame stuff because I seriously just saw the router fail to ping itself and stopped right there to try and figure it out.

Here's the frame switch runconf if it matters in the least:

interface Serial1/0
no ip address
logging event subif-link-status
logging event dlci-status-change
serial restart-delay 0
clock rate 2016000
no fair-queue
no frame-relay inverse-arp
frame-relay intf-type dce
frame-relay route 100 interface Serial1/1 200
!
interface Serial1/1
no ip address
logging event subif-link-status
logging event dlci-status-change
serial restart-delay 0
clock rate 2016000
no fair-queue
no frame-relay inverse-arp
frame-relay intf-type dce
frame-relay route 200 interface Serial1/0 100
!

Debugging frame packets reveals:

*Mar 1 04:41:45.539: Serial0/0:Encaps failed--no map entry link 7(IP).

Which I gather to mean there's no map entry for [?], but I'm at a loss for where to go with this info. What would I need to map to get a router to ping a local interface?

edit: I should add that I can ping the router 192.168.1.2 at the other end of the frame switch no problem.

Add this;
frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.1 100 broadcast

You need to set a map so it knows what DLCI to send it down. In fact, it'll actually get send all the way to the other end (192.168.2.1) which will then send it back to the interface.

I think that's right, but it's been a while since I did frame-relay.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

inignot posted:

Using frame maps is round about in the first place. I've never seen that config used outside of ccie scenarios.

NBMA interfaces

NBMA interfaces

NBMA interfaces

I try to block the pain but it is unrelenting

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

inignot posted:

So, you're saying what here? If I've got frame relay service with pvcs from a hub site to three remotes; I can set that up however I want. I can use physical interfaces, point to multipoint subinterfaces, point to point subinterfaces, or some combination thereof. Any one of those can be made to work based on design choices. Back ten years ago when frame relay was ubiquitous, I only ever saw point to point subinterface implementations used.

There's a portion of the CCIE lab that makes you configure frame relay between 3 sites using no subinterfaces. When I was doing my training it required a lot of study to get your head around something that is pointless in the real world.

edit; my point being the cisco certs make you learn a decent amount of roundabout stuff.

abigserve fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 24, 2010

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

CrazyLittle posted:

The ASA line is the successor to the PIX line of firewall/security boxes. They all have CLI.

There's two things that you have to remember:
1) They don't run IOS, no matter how similar it looks.
2) PIX/ASA is not a router. They don't "route" traffic.

A pix can route traffic - we route several DMZ's off our pix using ospf.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

jwh posted:

Our DC systems folks are attempting to move to UCS-based chassis and blades within the next six to ten months, in an attempt to consolidate our VM environment.

To that end, they're proposing FEXs (Nexus 2ks) in the blades, connected to a HA pair of 6140 unified-fabric boxes. They're also proposing a Nexus 5000, to connect the 6140s to.

Thing is, I don't see what the point of the 5000 is, since all the M71KR-E converged network adapters terminate in the 6140s, and the only thing the 5000 would do is sit in between the 6140s and the 6500 L3 cores.

I can understand the 5000s provide cheaper 10gig density, but I don't see why that's important here if all the CNAs sit on the 6140s.

Am I missing something?

Are they at least buying two 5k's for redundancy?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

inignot posted:

'Sup fellas.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Did...did you cover your name and number with paper?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

At my old job I believe we had the aging time said to 300 seconds (5 mins).

As for sticky mac addresses, they don't age as far as I'm aware - buuut if you don't write the config, the entries will vanish on reboot.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to enable this feature?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Find out the switchport it's connected to and r-span that poo poo rasta.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

InferiorWang posted:

tortilla_chip, ip pim sparse-mode. L3 between the 3560 and the 4507, L2 within the school if I'm understanding your question. While the school has multiple vlans, the 3560 core switch is the only device doing L3 at that school.

jwf, I've tested it myself. I didn't see the problem as severe as has been reported. I plan on going back on site to test some more. Here's the output from that command...

Maybe do a SPAN on a port in the same vlan as the users who want access to the multicast group - in fact, that's probably the next thing I'd do, that'd rule out anything stupid/underlying problems.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Now it's time for a "gently caress the competition" post

HP has the absolute best practice ever in regards to their software releases; if you are running old code, and have to upgrade, occasionally you won't be able to upgrade straight to the latest version. No biggie.

Except they don't keep the old versions available on their sight. Brilliant, guys, well done.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

ragzilla posted:

PC1 will send out an ARP for PC2's IP address to the Ethernet broadcast address. The switch will receive this frame and flood it out all ports *except the one in which it was received (it's a broadcast!), all hosts on the broadcast domain will see the frame and will respond appropriately (ie everyone except PC2 ignore the request- it's not for one of their IPs, PC2 unicasts an ARP reply to PC1).

Fixed that for ya!

Also, jwh, I find your interview questions intriguing. You only ask for a minimum of BGP knowledge from your engineers? BGP has gotta be one of the most important thing an engineer knows.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Is than an outside facing interface? Because if so, it might be more prudent to block isakmp from anyone that ISN'T one of your routers.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

gently caress spanning-tree, MST in particular. The next time we buy hardware the only question I'm asking is "does it do pvst+? It doesn't? gently caress you."

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

jwh posted:

Yes, exactly this.

The problem is that it's very much non-deterministic from a routing point of view- you can't be certain where anything is going.

And when you're dealing with 40ms forward delay, it makes for some terrific problems.

Works on our network :dukedog:

(Which, coincidentally is full 10gig through the backbone and entirely located on one campus)

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Look for (S,G) entries on the receiver facing router, check IGMP group membership tables, if that's all fine check RPF isn't failing (for the group).

Finally, if all of those are good, check the multicast TTL on the host, and after that, you'd have to continue on a case-to-case basis.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

jwh posted:

Wired 802.1x is so full of hurt.

802.1x...integrated into a billing system, interfacing with packet shapers :anime: Yey, look upon yor destiny and despair - the devil is real

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

People ask loving spanning-tree questions in Engineering interviews? That's like asking a mechanic if he understands what wheels do.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I guess my point was more the fact that asking about spanning-tree when interviewing for an engineer position seems to be picking the low fruit - I would've thought (this is all opinion, ofcourse) that something along the lines of "explain the importance of iBGP in the campus" or "list some examples where you might use MPLS VPN's to solve a problem".

Obviously this is dependent entirely on the position and I'm only basing this on what I perceive based on my limited experience to be an "engineer" position.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

jwh posted:

I want TRILL.

Literally the future of networking in just about every space. Bone up on IS-IS...

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Tony Montana posted:

You won't get a CCIE.

Learn servers. Then work for a firm that does IaaS (that's usually consulting firms, not internal IT) and embrace the cloud because you are the cloud.

Layer 4 and down gets pretty mundane quickly, and you don't need to be a coder to understand and play with the higher layers.

I do not appreciate your viewpoint sir, that dude is obviously quite new to the field and advising him to split his focus between networking and servers is tempting him to be mediocre at both.

At the end of the day a CCIE who knows routing and switching is more valuable than a dude who knows most of it + some server stuff. Leave layer 4+ to the server guys, or until after you get your CCIE and you have considered yourself a master of all things networking.

I may be biased because I'm going for my CCIE this year and I hate doing server work.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

workape posted:

A couple of months, I picked up some books just before Christmas after getting my CCNP in November. If I can keep my current study rate, I may get the company to spring for a CCIE Written bootcamp as a final touch before I go and write the exam.

My big issue right now is a lot of really cool security poo poo keeps coming out and those blinking lights call to me. Soooo shiiiiinyyyyyy...

Out of curiosity, how are you studying for the lab? Do you have some practice labs from somewhere or is it your own set up?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

brent78 posted:

I need to find a contractor in the Sacramento, CA area that can do some BGP/routing work on some 3800's. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I'll do it if you don't mind me doing everything remote <_< (from Australia)

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Defiantly consider Aruba "mobility controllers"...we run around 3000+ clients and about 400 access-points off them and they are fairly unbreakable.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

SlippyFists posted:

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'll try anyways. I'm about halfway through my CCNA course at my local college, but I've been having a bit of trouble with the static routing chapter. I have this assignment where I have to connect four pc's with four seperate routers, and they all must be able to communicate with each other via static routes with next hop addresses. Well, after typing in all the different static routes into each router, and placing ip addresses into the four Pc's, not all Pc's were able to ping eachother.
I'm a little puzzled as to what I've done wrong, and can't really figure out what it is that I screwed up on. I've put the packet tracer project and the HW into a Zip. If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it. I'm sure the answer is something really obvious, but I just can't seem to figure it out.

http://www.mediafire.com/?e46f452bqy94qbl

Ping the router interfaces instead of the pc's and that'll tell you if your routing is working correctly. If it is then check your host config.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Bardlebee posted:

EDIT: For my own benefit, what the heck is a "interface port-channel"?

EDIT2: Just a swing here, errr. You are doing what seems a VLAN allowable command on your trunks, have you tried to see putting on full allowable vlans and see if you get connectivity. Is that wrong to do (probably is) in a production network as far as security goes?

A port channel is a grouping of multiple physical links into one logical link, for the purpose of increasing total bandwidth and often providing redundancy. In other words, it makes two physical interfaces look like one.

As for the config, where is the interface for vlan 13? You've only got one SVI for vlan 1, so I presume it's routed elsewhere, you should find that and do a show ip route there to start with.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Do a show standby on the layer 3 switch. Verify that your host is configured to use the standby IP address as the default gateway.

Also do a show arp | inc [your hosts ip address]

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Sepist posted:

Figured it out, forgot to put in `switchport trunk native vlan 1` :downs:

the etherchannel uplink fails on anything but vlan 1 when both ports are plugged in but that's probably just a misconfiguration I overlooked..

This doesn't make any sense unless the two member ports were configured differently and even then it should operate as usual unless you only allowed vlan 13 down one etc. etc. etc. etc.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

jwh posted:

tcpdump -lvvns0 -w - | strings | grep blah

:)

tshark fully supports all wireshark capture filters though so there's that.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

jwh posted:

Well, just received marching orders to evaluate high density 10gig platforms. I guess our server folks are "doing stuff".

I have minimal feature requirements, but layer-3 is one of them, which would preclude the Nexus 5010 and 5020.

The Nexus 7k 32-port 10g module looks kind of, well, lovely- it's got an 80gigabit connection to the fabric module(s), so you're limited to 8 ports of 10g per 32-port linecard without running into oversubscription issues.

Nexus 5596's are what you're after. The 7k is a big loving distribution switch and isn't angled at server connectivity. As mentioned, Layer 3 capability with a card (but why do layer 3 on aggregation switches anyway) and up to 96 ports line-rate 10gbe.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Actually we've had more problems with Cogent. Part of our problem last night was that they were NOT advertising a default route to us via BGP so when Level 3 crashed our ASR was left with no where to go. We get partial from XO and Cogent and full with Level 3.

When we asked them about this, they told us it was out fault for not specifically telling them we want a default route. And I'm sitting there thinking "Are you loving kidding me?"

It's a common thing for ISP's to not advertise a default route. To be honest, I don't really understand why, when 9/10 times that's really the only route you actually need on your border routers. You can always originate statics but what happens if your bgp adjacency goes south without the link going down?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Powercrazy posted:

We have switched to 100% Cisco optics because of weird poo poo like that. Yea it's more expensive, but budgetary decisions should be made on a device/capabilities level, and reliability isn't something to compromise on.

Really? We use plusoptics (http://www.networkconnectors.com.au/) and never had a single problem. The place I used to work used agilstar and never had any issues either.

I guess if you like throwing money away then that's cool!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

routenull0 posted:

Most vendors I have worked with will not support an optics issue if it is not OEM branded. Even though most Cisco / Juniper optics are Finasar, if you ever have to RMA them, they will reject them.

I know I'd rather not chance a 3rd party OC192 optic for $500, have issues, and still have to turn around and by the Juniper one for $1500 because Juniper will ultimately go "oh well you aren't using our optics, so we cannot help you"

Does this happen a lot for you guys? In my career I've probably seen like 3 bad optics and each one we've just replaced with the exact same type and it's worked fine.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Powercrazy posted:

Yea I plan on doing that as well, but it seems like there has to be a away to see best path info from various routers, without output filtering.

You won't have any idea about which way is preferable to get back into your network from the big wide world from your border routers.

EDIT2: nevermind, I was wrong. You could be getting asymmetric routing though still which is probably why you posted in the first place because you're trying to fix it so I'm gonna shut up now!

abigserve fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 17, 2011

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

greatapoc posted:

Had a 7206 crash while configuring an ACL :downs:

code:
ipv6

Problem located

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

ragzilla posted:

Nah, there's enough base bugs in IOS that you can't blame IPv6 for that one.

I know, I just like bagging out ipv6!