Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

The Ron Jeremy of the coding world
Is there any way to adjust DHCP client retries / timeouts on a Cisco 871W? It runs IOS, c870-advsecurityk9-mz.124-11.T1.bin to be specific. My braindead ISP only gives me an IP after the 4th or 5th DHCP REQUEST or after a certain time period has elapsed, but my 871W only issues 3 requests with a 5 sec timeout on each one before giving up for a minute.

Windows and Mac both continue issuing requests with the same xid until they get a lease whereas the 871w picks a new xid after 3 failed attempts. The only timeout settings I could find seemed to be for the dhcp server. My router is acting as nothing more than a glorified switch at the moment until I can fix this. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

jwh posted:

Can you hard code the ID? I think there's an option for that. There's an option for hard-coding some client identifier, although it might not be the one you need.

I haven't seen any options to tune the dhcp client, sadly.

For that matter, why is your ISP so slow to reply to your request? Fifteen seconds is a long time.
Yeah the only things that can be hard coded are hostname and client identifier, not the DHCP transaction ID. It increments by one each time. I have no idea why my ISP does this, it seems to prevent Vonage / some routers / etc from working which may be something they consider "good". Either that or they have one DHCP server for the whole country and it's overloaded to all hell.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

Anyone have any ideas on how to make the DHCP server on my 871W respond faster? I tried reducing ip dhcp ping packets and timeout to really low values. Whenever I plug in a network cable, Windows sits at Acquiring IP address for so long it actually times out and assigns an automatic private IP, then the DHCP IP is assigned about 5 second later. I'm guessing the DHCP server is waiting for an authoritative DHCP server to respond first, is there any way I can tell it that it's the authoritative server?

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

I'm assuming portfast was off by default, I turned it on which should hopefully fix it given the description of how it operates. Figures I was looking in completely the wrong place, I had no idea this was even happening :). Thanks.