Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In the vein of the OS X, Windows, and Linux "short questions" threads I've caught myself thinking on several occasions "I'd love to ask this stupid little 6500 config question but its not worth a whole thread". So after bouncing it off jwh and Dr. Fred here it is, the "Cisco Short/Stupid Questions Thread."

Guidelines:
  • Please please please don't get into vendor debates or open-source debates. It would be trollish to crash the Linux thread with "kde sux buy a mac", its just as trollish to poo poo up this thread with monowall/mikrotik/etc.
  • "sh run" output is a must for nearly any troubleshooting, don't wait for someone to ask, put it in your question post.
  • Pictures! Any kind of visio, gliffy, or even mspaint will be hugely helpful in understanding what you're talking about.
Resources: CCNA:
  • I'm sure there'll be tons of ccna questions here so when links crop up I'll edit them into the OP

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jwh posted:

Provides support for mapping (tagging) of client traffic at the group or user level.
ooooooohhhh. Now I have to go re-think my plan. I had talked myself out of needing this, but it was half sour grapes.

edit: this is dot1q tagging right?

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Figured I'd try a slight change of venue:

Wanted: Network Engineer, Jersey City

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a default management IP address for a 2960G? My usb to serial adapter won't arrive till wednesday, so I'm gonna spend all tomorrow in the colo staring at this switch I can't configure.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Powercrazy posted:

Is it a brand new 2960G, cleared config and everything? Because if so, it will only have VLAN1 with no IP address set. I had a similar problem with a 3560G. Depending on the infrastructure you have around, you could make it join a VTP/SNMP domain, default name cisco for both, and from there maybe nudge some configuration onto it. Otherwise I think you might be SOL.

You could also try setting up a DHCP server and see if it grabs an IP Address, but if its default config, then you will be SOL for that as well.

yep, fresh out of the box. I think you have it, SOL.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
saw the cisco telepresense thing on 30 rock tonight, how much does a "500" cost, anyone know? what kind of upstream does it need?

v list is cool, i'm familiar with the usual discount ranges

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 6, 2009

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its amazing to think i started this thread four years ago. I barely ever do networking anymore.

However, time for the occasional exception.

I'm sortof doing a greenfield on a small four-rack/sixtyodd-server colo setup. 3 years ago I would have gotten a pair of 3750's or small 6500's and done my l2 and l3 in one pair with my loadbalancers 'on a stick' (or one arm i guess).

But its been awhile. I see cisco has this new "nexus" thing going on. I would kinda like to go 10gb if that has finally become reasonable.

Should I be reading up on the 2k, 3k, 4k, or 5k range of nexi?

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so turns out nexus 5500's are absurdly expensive, and also I had a pair of dell 6248's lying around. As long as I stick to really simple 4 or 5 vlan and maybe one trunk over an lacp pair, will I be ok? Or are these things "extreme" level disasters? (those purple ones from the early days of gigabit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

workape posted:

How much were you expecting to pay and what's your discount rate?

I figured they'd be a premium over 3560/3750's but not all the way up at 2x. The base platform isn't actually *that* bad from a price perspective, but the fleet of sfp's you have to buy for the ports to be usable add up fast.

So anyone have disaster stories with Dell 6248s?