Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneaksie
Feb 13, 2003
I'm wondering if anyone here has had a similar problem, or can offer some advice as to the solution.

I am installing a bunch of 3845 routers with NM-4T cards in, recently I have had a set of cards fail on me. The error I get is

code:
Aug  2 07:31:11: %OIR-3-SEATED: Insert/removal failed for slot 2, check card seating
We have tried reseating the card but the error pursists, if the card is moved to a new slot the only change is that the error shows the new slot number.

At the moment we are replacing the cards as they fail but we are worried that 3 out of 6 cards have failed in the last 3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaksie
Feb 13, 2003

CrazyLittle posted:

Are they honest-to-god real Cisco cards? We've had 3 out of a 4-card purchase of WIC-T1-V2's and that's pretty much because they're all cheap chinese counterfeit WICs

Definatly Cisco cards, bought from Cisco direct (or at least thats what my buyer tells me)

I recieved one of the faulty cards back yesterday and the build quality is really low; dry solder, missing solder, chips not straight, gouges in the board. I have also checked the ones in stock and it looks like it may be a dodgy batch.
We are raising a TAC at the moment.

Sneaksie
Feb 13, 2003

Ninja Rope posted:

What is everyone's favourite netflow graphing/display software? I've been using nfsen, but I was really hoping for something a little less complicated. Ideally, something that would provide users with a graph that says "this host send X bytes today", or even better "traffic between this network and that network averages X bytes/second". It seems like nfsen can do this, but it's too complicated for most clients I work with and even then the numbers aren't exactly what I'm looking for.

It seems like all the data I need is being collected. Do I need to write a front end to the rrd data files to generate the graphs I want? Or is there a better (ideally free) netflow display application I should be suggesting to clients?

Most of the networks I work with are monitored with either cricket or cacti.
For core networks we also use weathermap, this runs off the cacti/cricket graphs and produces a network diagram with coloured lines showing how much bandwidth has been used.

Sneaksie
Feb 13, 2003

InferiorWang posted:

Would you guys talk to me a little bit about how you handle routing? What's your organization size, number of subnets, type of routing? Do you use static or dynamic? I'd like to read a bit about some real world applications.

It depends on where you are and where you are looking.
The various 16 or so WAN centers that are used tend to re-use the 10.0.0.0/16 network, although some have 172 and 192 addresses mixed in for added fun.
Public IP addresses have been allocated per Data Centre, however some smart people pick free ranges from the middle and send them elsewhere.
There are a mixture of BGP, OSPF and Static. It all depends on who designed the network and how long ago it was designed.

Sneaksie
Feb 13, 2003

InferiorWang posted:

I'm starting to run into some limitations such as the switch limitations you mentioned. You can put a switch in and specify VLANs, but not a L3 switch apparently, nor can you telnet to it. Also, I can't seem to use a serial interface using a 2600 image.

I ended up using a 3745 with an NM-16ESW as a "L3" switch, it was as close as I could get.