Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Keep in mind that CCNA is a prerequisite for CCNP, so you need to pass that first. I'd say that CCNP in one month is all but impossible with little to no prior knowledge.

Edit: Oh yea, bootcamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sorry, I don't have anything useful to add to your scripting question, but wouldn't this a perfect test case for QoS?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dang. What OS are you running? I suppose if you're running some sort of Unix-ish environment you could set up an expect script to telnet to and execute commands on the router. If it's Windows though, I'm not too sure :(

Bonne chance!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Crossposting from the cert megathread:

I'd like to pick up a router with a FE port and I think the most economical is the 2620. Will I be kicking myself if I opt for the 2620 over the 2620XM? They both seem to have the same 1NM/2WIC slots. As far as I can gather the memory limitation of the non-XM model will prevent me from running 12.4 -- is that something that'll be important come CCNP time or what?

My FE requirement is for testing router-on-a-stick fyi. I'll pick up the XM if I can find a good price on one, but I'm in Canada so I'm trying to buy local and avoid border fees/international shipping rates/etc.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

jwh posted:

Be aware of the IOS requirements for dot1q fast ethernet subinterfaces.

I can't for the life of me find any reference to these requirements in Cisco's official 802.1Q documentation unless I'm just missing something.

Cisco posted:

Platforms

This feature is supported on these platforms:
•Cisco 2600 series

Thanks Cisco :downs:

The XMs aren't THAT much more expensive, but just pricey enough to the point where you have to make the decision between a third switch or a 12.4 capable router :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy crap, that must have taken a mad tumble. Did it work after you popped it back in or was there permanent brain damage?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Guys. I'm still kind of scratching my head here. This is basically a continuation on my last help for router recommendations.

I'm still building my CCNA lab but I've got an eye on CCNP in future so I want a few routers that will handle 12.4.

The economical options are basically a Maxed out 3640 or a 2600XM. Is there any advantage to going with a 2600XM over a 3640? The prices certainly heavily favour going with a 3640 64/16 and upgrading the memory. I mean, for the price of one 2600XM I can buy two or even three baseline 3640s each loaded with a NM1E2W, judging by a quick ebay scan.

Ciscokits seems to mix and match the 2600XM and 3640 in their Advanced CCNA/Starter CCNP kit.

I've been trying to do as much research as I can, but for the life of me I can't find a good reason why I'd go with a single 2600XM over two or three 3640s + a little cash to upgrade at this point.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 3640s and a few support NMs. I don't have anything against the 2600XM but it looks like these will do just about everything I want in the forseeable future, at least through the CCNP track. Apples to apples the 2600XM is still a good deal because the NM-1FE2W is still pretty expensive but I only need one router to support FE at the moment, so dropping a hundred bucks on an NM-1FE-TX while loading the others with NM-1E2Ws and WIC-1Ts is a pretty economical compromise.

Also it looks like this is basically a badass frame switch platform. Pick up a cheap 64/16 chassis, load it with four NM-4Ts and you'll never want for a lab serial port again :fap:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 29, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just took delivery of a bunch of 3640s and one of them has "bittorrent.pdlm" and "kazaa2.pdlm" listed when I 'show flash'. From what I gather this has something to do with QoS. Are these going to be safe to purge or are they somehow related to IOS?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

inignot posted:

Those are protocol definition files for nbar recognition. Feel free to get rid of them, I think those definitions have been migrated into IOS at this point.

Thanks, sounds like I'll be wiping these down then.

Also, does anyone know why a 2620XM would report a network module as UNKNOWN? I've tried my NM-1E2W, NM-2E2W, and NM-1E1R2W, and none of the above registe any interfaces. Could it be a defective NM port on the router or does the 2620XM just not support older NMs?

Edit: I just realized I didn't post any IOS versions or anything, I'll post those when I get back from my hockey game tonight. Sorry.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's the best news I could have hoped for. I actually don't intend to put any NMs in the 2600 but since I have a 90 day warranty on the router I wanted to make sure it (the slot) worked. I'll see if I can't borrow a NM-1FE-TX or something to test it with instead. Thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've been looking for a CUG in the Southeast Ontario / Toronto area but apparently I'm the only one.

It would be pretty cool to start one but I don't feel at all qualified or connected enough to pull that off :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm just a beginner at this stuff myself so take this with a grain of salt but unless I'm misunderstanding your setup I don't think you need the ASA actually doing any WAN routing. Just connect both WAN uplinks (T1 and Cable) to your 1800, get a routing protocol advertising routes between offices. I think you might need to still set up a VPN over the 1800s' cable WAN interface.

But the routing protocol should essentially take care of all that failover for you.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Spanning tree putting a port into blocking mode also changes the port's status light to amber, correct?

Just want to make sure that my port isn't dying or something. So far blocking mode is my working hypothesis but I can't find confirmation on Cisco's site.

As an aside, hot drat I love working with my new home lab :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 16, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I'm working with two 2950s and one 2900. I just threw both 2950s into primary and secondary root roles and the 2900's redundant trunk went amber as expected. Thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

I have one user who as a 7941 who says other people often say that he is garbled sounding and choppy. It doesn't seem to matter if he in calling inside or outside phones.

Does anyone have any idea where or what to check?

Check for slurred speech and ask him to stop drinking before work :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't actually find a simple answer to this, maybe you guys will know.

If I buy a 3550-SMI, what exactly would I be buying from Cisco to enable use of the EMI IOS? I know the part number is CD-3550-EMI=, but is it physically some kind of chip that enables use of the EMI features or is it just a license to install the advanced software?

I'm not trying to be sneaky and :filez: about it, but I want to know if I buy an SMI L3 switch today if I'll be able to upgrade any 3550 to EMI down the road when I actually need to study those features, or do I need to buy a 3550-SMI that has specifically been built to be upgradeable to EMI, if that even makes sense. Hopefully someone gets the gist of what I'm trying to ask.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

routenull0 posted:

Paycheck is what counts, not the title.

I'll engineer networks even if my title is "poo poo hauler" as long as the paycheck cashes for the correct amount.

Truth. I was "Sr. Software Engineer" at the last place I worked and the way they cobbled that title together was the most ridiculous thing seeing as how I had less than a year experience programming at that time, surrounded by people with lesser titles who had been doing it most of their life. For what it's worth I told them I didn't feel right taking the title but they said it was linked to the pay grade so my arguments promptly stopped :)

Beurocracy! :effort:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

cptInsane0 posted:

That's crazy. Sr. Engineering positions usually have pretty strict requirements. For instance, I still have another year or two before I am qualified for most of those positions. I've been doing this a while.

Yeah, I think my company was completely the opposite. They had a database of pay grades and rather than create a new one for me they just shoved me into some preexisting class. Our job titles were basically meaningless. Not bad for a resume though. I don't feel too bad putting it on there since I don't ever plan to go back into Software Engineering so there's no chance I'd ever be hired to work on actual software based on that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Maybe it's one of them new fangled Juniper "routers". Mine has a FreeBSD login too :clint:

But seriously, I can't wait to hear what you find out about this new Linux/FreeBSD/IOS hybrid :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Setting the banner on all my lab routers and switches to

FreeBSD 4.10 (STABLE)
Kernel 2.6.27 on an i686

in honour of this monumental bug discussion :cool:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I went a little out with my setup and picked up three 3640s, one 2600, and three 2950s. I wanted a kit that I could use after CCNA as well though, and the money was there so I figured why not. I really wanted the 3640 so I could throw a bunch of NM-4Ts in and do frame relay, but also be able to use it for something else if I didn't feel like running a frame setup. I forgot why I ended up buying the 3640s other than they were pretty cheap.

All my equipment came from cablesandkits.com. I can't recommend them enough.

Also just finished Network Fundamentals, beginning routing and switching on the 12th. Can't wait!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 18, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

jwh posted:

I never even power it on. Why? Because it's too loud, eats a ton of power, and in my microscopic 750 square foot condo, takes up too much room.

My poor dog runs away every time I power on my router or switch stacks :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good MacOS serial capable terminal emulator? I have a USB-serial dongle that I can talk to using 'screen', but somehow that always comes off feeling like a pretty inelegant solution.

Edit: I guess I should have asked in the Mac software thread, but maybe there are other Cisco junkies that also enjoy Macs v:)v

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

nex posted:

So tell me, what are your favorite USB-serial kits? Or if USB is crap, favorite laptop with native serial interface? Cost is pretty much a non issue.

I initially had nothing but trouble with the kit they sell on monoprice.com, so if you're using Windows I would recommend staying away form it. The driver disc they provided was a mess of divers with no obvious clue as to which one should be installed.

That said, I did end up getting it working and it worked fine after some driver hunting. It also has great open source drivers for MacOS and I think it works out of the box on Linux. Since I use MacOS on my Dell 10v netbook it's a perfect solution.

So I guess this was more of a "what not to get" post, sorry.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there something similar to show int trunk that returns useful trunk info on my 80 year old 2900xl switch?

Took me a few minutes to remember that this bad boy defaults to ISL. Just one more nail in the 2900's coffin come payday <:mad:>

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Darkn1o posted:

I'm looking to get some lab gear to study for my CCNA. I purchased a $80 piece of crap lab simulator software from Sybex and it doesn't even have a quarter of the commands available on it's 2600 router console. Since I feel as though I've been ripped off, so I'm looking for the real deal. I'm currently looking at a 851 router for around $115 on EBay. Does anyone have any idea if this router would be suitable for study purposes? Is this a good price? Can anyone recommend something better for study? I don't want to make the same mistake twice. Thanks guys.

A single router isn't going to help you much in the long run. Instead of a simulator, why don't you go to cablesandkits.com, buy a Cisco 2600 for like $50, then TFTP the IOS off of the router and use it in GNS3 (dynamips). 100% commands because you're emulating the hardware and running real IOS. And of course if you have access to IOS images then you don't even need to buy the router.

If you're going to spend money on something, I would recommend emulating the routers and buying three 2950 switches to practice your switching component instead. You can still do things like physically connecting Dynamips to a network card to let you practice things like Router on a Stick.

In the end though, there's no good way to patch this together. If you're going to go full-on hardware then you probably want to build a good CCNA lab which is at the very least two or three 2950 switches and probably at least two or three routers, though I think you can scrape by with 2500 series.

If you don't like dynamips, I think like Sojourner said, packet tracer is probably your best bet. It might not have 100% of a real IOS' commands, but you can safely bet that if it's not a supported command then you won't need it to pass your CCNA. I would go that route personally, if I hadn't already built a thousand dollar lab :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This might be a terrible question, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around IOS releases. Are the release names strictly linear, wherein 12.3YZ line is always going to be preferable to the 12.3XD line? Why are we jumping from XD to YZ anyway? Is there any significance to the letters other than incremental tagging? If so, why not just tag them numerically like Cisco already apparently half-does.

I don't mean the feature sets -- those I pretty much understand at this point. It was actually tooling around the Feature Navigator that got me wondering about this mish-mash of nomenclature.

Also, desperately need more memory for my 3640s. 72pin SIMMs are so hard to come by these days :(

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 17, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ragzilla posted:

In general if they increment something on the letters immediately following the parentheses it's going to be for feature/hardware support. If they increment the following number/letters it identifies the bugfix/maintenance release.

So to answer XD->YZ, it would be for feature/hardware support (given a jump like that, probably hardware support to simplify support for the new hardware so people don't try load earlier unsupported code). If it was XD1 -> XD1a it would be a minor bugfix (usually a quick patch release for something horribly broken). And XD1a -> XD2 would be a regular maintenance patch release.

Thank you, that does actually clear things up a little. So obviously I don't have a support contract with Cisco so this is entirely pie in the sky, but looking at Feature Navigator, is the best option for any given router still the "latest and greatest" according to Cisco as long as it fits within your memory and flash footprint? Or are there times where you'd actually look to put something other than the newest release on a device, if both the newest release and the older one support the same feature set?

Sorry if the question is obvious, but I haven't had to deal with an IOS revisions since I worked with 7200s at a datacenter in the early 2000s, and then we had a contract with Cisco so I didn't really do much of the legwork. Most of my current experience is centred around my home lab where I just the newest 12.3 Telco IOS from one of my 3640s and deployed it across the remaining four after backing them up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

(sorry for the doublepost)

KernelFailure posted:

Hey, Just about ready to take my CCNA, besides a job in the industry, and besides books, whats the best medium for studying? (Reading does Noooooothing for me) Is there a creamy middle between the "watchability" of CBT nuggets and the all encompassing knowledge of the train signal videos?

If you have the money, take the CCNA curriculum if offered at your local community college. I'm doing that now. I could probably fast track it and just cram for the exam, but I like the hands-on labs (not so much in CCNA1, but more throughout the rest). They teach from Cisco's own Exploration material which tends to be more concise than their own Official Certification Guides, so when you do have to do the reading yourself it's not incredibly dry like the book.

I study better in a classroom environment myself. I've gone through both CBTNuggets and Train Signal multiple times, but being able to ask my instructor questions is much more helpful than listening to Jeremy crack jokes for five minutes between issuing an IOS command, or listening to Chris Bryant drone on like a robot for an hour. Which isn't to say that the other two haven't helped me by laying down the foundation.

I typically hit the books only if there's something I really want to learn more about in detail. Also the CCNA command reference is pretty handy at times, but seems like more of a crutch than anything.

If you're in a hurry, this probably isn't the best way to do your CCNA. It's a full year at least, or at least a few months if you can double-up on classes. I'm not in any particular hurry on the other hand, and being able to sit down and digest the classes for a week really helps. I'm not in any pissing contest with anyone to fast track the CCNA so this really is the best method for me.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 17, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Edit: Huge post redacted because I'm an idiot who forgot that "ip default-gateway" doesn't do the same thing as "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0" when using a router to emulate an end-device in a lab.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 26, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's your knowledge of subnetting right now? VLSM isn't difficult at all if you realize that all you're doing is splitting an existing network down into smaller subnets by logical chunks.

Are you having trouble with the concepts or the implementation?

If you're having trouble with the implementation, the best thing I can recommend is to remember that all your hosts have to fit as efficiently as possible into your available subnets which are powers of 2, and you need to start with your largest networks first.

For example, a subnet that needs 28 machines would do best on a subnet of /27 that allows for 32 hosts. You'd be wasting a /26 unless you knew you needed to plan for future growth. Just start carving your available addresses down into smaller subnets and do your point to point WAN links last since they only need two (usable) addresses.

Don't forget to take into account that one address is broadcast and one is the network ID. Typically you won't be assigning these so you're losing two addresses off the top.

So looking at your example, consider what each subnet they want you to assign fits best into. Look at it really carefully to make sure that all your hosts will fit after you consider broadcast/network id.

The reason you want to do your largest networks first is that if you create a network with four addresses at the start of your range, then you need a network of 100 hosts, you'll be able to use a.b.c.0-3 for your first subnet but then you'll need to use a.b.c.128-255 for your second subnet. You just wasted addresses 4 through 127. There's actual binary math behind this, but I don't remember any of it, and it's a lot easier to think of it logically than it is to binary math it out.

As dumb as it sounds, maybe check youtube. There are a few VLSM tutorials where people go through it step by step. I can't speak for how clear they are because I'm not ready to spend 30 minutes going through a video about VLSM :v:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 4, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

NTP v4 supports IPV6 synchronization, however digging through Cisco's support site I came across this:

NTPv4 was introduced into Cisco IOS Software: 12.4(15)XZ, 12.4(20)MR, 12.4(20)T, 12.4(20)YA, 12.4(22)GC1, 12.4(22)MD, 12.4(22)YB, 12.4(22)YD, 12.4(22)YE and 15.0(1)M.

So I think you're stuck just setting the date manually unless you want to upgrade.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Yeah, I saw bits and pieces of it, but trying to navigate their website is like striking myself repeatedly in the junk with a brick.

Welcome to cisco.com. But seriously, it's all in there, though when you say "all the setup stuff" that could be anything from simply logging in to enable the GUI, to actually handling every aspect of configuration via IOS' cli -- what are you trying to set up specifically, and maybe we can give you a hand pointing you to specific documents :)

Powercrazy posted:

Also once you get the hang of it, you can find pretty much anything about any cisco product somewhere on their site.

My experience is that typically cisco.com's search will go into excruciating detail on absolutely everything related to your product, except for the one specific topic you're looking for.

Then on page five of the search you find a two page document that vaguely references your problem.

Cisco :argh:

(though I'm exaggerating obviously, it's probably better when your equipment isn't all old lab routers from the mid 90s)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 5, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

To think all this time I've been avoiding the RJ45 T1 cards because I thought you needed some more specialized equipment to cross-connect them. I could have avoided buying all of these loving serial cables for my lab.

Oh well, at least I can simulate a frame switch convincingly.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but which side sets the clock in a T1 crossover?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 30, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

show mac-address-table

or

show mac address-table

I forgot which one works on what.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

That poo poo couldn't have happened if it were up to me, but I'm inheriting the department. Apparently a verbal handshake happened allowing them to use our connection, and it would piss off a ton of people if I kept them turned off (the port is currently disabled), so I will probably have to turn them back on after I know the system has been cleaned and/or wiped.

VLAN VLAN VLAN. Separate that guy from your production network at the very least.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is 3min 10sec an acceptable reload time for a 2620xm 128D/32F with no startup config? It seems a little slow compared to my 3640s but maybe I'm just being extremely picky.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Interesting. OK thanks for the info. Guess I'm just impatient :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hope you have hearing protection. That stack looks louder than it is hot.