Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

jwh posted:

...similar enough to IOS to make you feel comfortable, but different enough to irritate the poo poo out of you.
Welcome to the rest of our career.

e: What's almost worse is having another vendor fix an annoying kink in their IOSsy product and then having to go back and do it the stupid old Cisco way.

bort fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bort
Mar 13, 2003

This may seem from left-field, but do you have Fast SSID change enabled on the controller?

That fixed a whole slew of issues I was having with IOS clients.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Folks using iPads like they're going out of style.

"Why do I have to reconnect when moving from the 4th floor to the 7th floor? Can we fix this?"
Did you check Fast SSID change? This sounds an awful lot like the problem I was having and Fast SSID change fixed it.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Ninja Rope posted:

What about the F5 boxes with the cotton candy colored glowing logo on the front? Always makes me hungry.
I totally see that, too.

CaptainGimpy posted:

Those lights coupled with some other devices hurt to look at.
I have a Cisco 2710 wireless location device at a rack unit in the high thirties. The blue "everything's ok" LED is absolutely brutal.

bort fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 10, 2012

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

Can you give an example? When I was learning VLANs I had no problem understanding tagged/untagged/native vlans, though it did take me a little while to remember which was which.
Exacerbated by Cisco not using "tagged" or "untagged" for some reason.

Force10 has a nice VLAN setup. They're an interface configuration without any flat layer 2 configuration. You add physical interfaces/channels to it, tagged or untagged. You can set portmode hybrid on a interface/channel to get it to pass untagged/tagged like a Cisco trunk does.

The real :downs: thing about FTOS is that a static port channel is configured in the port channel interface configuration (using channel-member). An LACP port channel is configured on the physical interface -- similar to how Cisco does a channel-group statement -- adding the interface to an LACP instance, I guess, conceptually.

e: I really like the idea of named VLANs.

bort fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 13, 2012

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Kaluza-Klein posted:

If I want to get a used cisco switch for the house can some one suggest some models to look for? I don't know my cisco models.

I imagine anything more than 1-2 Gig ports is going to cost me a lot of $$$? I'd like to spend less than $100. Ebay is full of them, but I am having trouble assessing them.
You probably want a 2950 for that price. Definitely avoid the 3548 models and there are models that run CatOS instead of IOS, e.g. 2948G. That's 10/100 money. Don't know what you're using it for, though -- if it's educational, gig doesn't matter that much. If you don't need the port count, get a consumer gigabit switch and put good firmware on it.

bort fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 15, 2012

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Again, depends what you're using it for. The 2950T is end of sale and if I were using it for IOS training, I'd get a model that's still supported. If I were actually wiring my house with a $100 switch for some reason, and I needed 24 ports in one place also for some reason, I'd buy the one with the gig ports.

e: powercrazy has a point about the 3550, too. It might be a better training device, since learning layer three is really important

bort fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 15, 2012

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I love Solarwinds NCM, Windows or not. If you can afford Solarwinds' stuff, it's easy to work with and produces great diffs for configuration management and audit. Good multivendor option, too.

I'm wrangling Cisco Prime right now to try and migrate off of WCS. They have me in a series of tangled dependencies that's really making me consider looking at another wireless vendor. Need v7 to get off of WISMs and on to 5500s, need MSEs to replace my aging locators and v7 obsoletes them, need Prime to run MSEs. Nothing's broken and I'm out six figures for the privilege of replacing my EOL chassis switches. :geno:

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Langolas posted:

Try having bugs in the export scripts for WCS that you have to uninstall and install different versions to try to get a proper exportable migration file to move to NCS.
Ok, I'll try that and see how it goes. :haw:

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Force10 switches default to having spanning tree disabled globally. Why they'll allow you to configure portfast on an interface without it being enabled, I'm not terribly sure. I won't bore you with details of how I discovered this... :eng99:

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Do WISMs support post 7.0 code or are you running 5500s?
Sort of answered above. I just got done with upgrading my whole kit and caboodle: WCS to Prime, adding MSEs and getting rid of 2710 locators and upgrading from 6 to 7. Took me all weekend but it was fun.

bort fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 18, 2012

bort
Mar 13, 2003

jwh posted:

...to be able to transparently decrypt all of the SSL moving through the box from your user population
Does this work transparently enough to not get browser certificate warnings? We found that our mobile user population got wise to any MITM-ing that we did since they'd get different certificates on the road.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Does software update work for you guys using Prime Infrastructure?

1.3 is out, as well as an update for my MSE virtual appliance. The MSE release notes say to use Prime software update but it doesn't detect those updates. I also can't download the tarball for the MSE upgrade, just OVA files.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

When you finally do upgrade, in the top right corner, hover over your login name and click Switch to Classic Theme.

They tried to make it all lifecycle-y and hid every useful function in different menus. Classic Theme is reskinned WCS.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

How prevalent is the problem of microbursting? I've heard it blamed for a few errors in my infrastructure, but that always turned out to be something else. However, with the growth of 10G networking I could see situations where it'd occur. Is it a characteristic of app traffic or just volume?

We use Riverbed Cascade for netflow, but I don't think it'd make sense as a solution without a prior investment in Steelheads. Leveraging them for traffic analysis is rewarding, e: but we're in the same boat as everyone else when the traffic doesn't cross one.

Bluecobra, I'm jealous of your solution.

bort fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 2, 2013

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Don't buy an ASR1002. There's a serious bug either software or hardware the fucks with the line cards. We've had to RMA them multiple times and it looks like this is also the source of the sonet problems we've been having.
Not that a whole lot of you will be in danger of doing this, but don't buy Dell/Force10 Z9000s.

A 32-bit counter bug in a timer rebooted our spine switches one night. I got the dubious honor of having my infrastructure generate a field alert. Finally got the maintenance window to upgrade the software, and encountered an unpublished bug where our VLANs won't route. To fix it, either shut/unshut the VLAN interface or occasionally, we get to remove and reconfigure the VLAN interface entirely! Really sweet low-impact workaround.
:tipshat:

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Speaking of H-REAP/FlexConnect, does anyone have a problem where the remote APs will occasionally get the local controller's VLAN number for an SSID in their VLAN mappings? This is a problem that occurs maybe once every three months and has persisted through three version upgrades. I'm attacking it by running a weekly scheduled task on Prime to apply a template to the remote APs, but I'm wondering if it's a bug that's fixed after 7.0 somewhere. I'm pinned right now because of 4400 WLCs in my deployment.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

ior posted:

Do you have multiple controllers? Are the flexconnect SSIDs configured exactly the same on all controllers (even the WLAN ID number)?
Yes but they're identical and active/standby. I can't see any differences with the SSIDs, but thanks for the suggestions.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

The controller firmware will be the longest part, but if you want to get fancy and you're not afraid to use the CLI, you can preload the image on your APs. This means when your controller boots up the new software, your APs reset and it's done.

http://www.my80211.com/home/2011/2/20/wlc-predownload-the-image-to-the-access-points-from-the-cont.html

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Jedi425 posted:

gently caress yes. I'm studying for my CCNP Firewall right now, and that poo poo is stupid.
Run multiple version 8 point releases in production and we'll discuss stupid.

e: speaking of which

bort fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 23, 2013

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Hope you either like syntax or ASDM.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Ninja Rope posted:

Give them all your logs for all your users and let them filter out what information they don't want? Pass.
They have it anyway :tinfoil:

bort
Mar 13, 2003

If you're a scrub and have to do RJ45 patching, I really like Ortronic's EZPatch thingy.

I wish I were old enough to have learned cable lacing. It looks amazing.

e:

Powercrazy posted:

I came across neatpatch, but don't see anything particularly special about it. It is nice to have some names though.
It can be very nice to know that a jack corresponds to a particular switch port. That and the cable length from patch panel to switch won't vary very much. That's a nice problem to solve1, but I'm not sure I like that much horizontal cable management.
1 e.g. the horrible choice between making your own cables or using standard lengths and having some stretched tight and some with too much slack

e2: if you have the budget to spend on optics, fiber inhibits less airflow and gives off less heat. Another great thing to look for is reversible airflow in top-of-rack switches.

bort fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 30, 2013

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Ninja Rope posted:

There are a lot of bullshit ways to represent an IP address and if you do anything other than dotted decimal then I hate you. I will accept network byte order uint32_t's in hex as well, but not if I have to type them anywhere.
I call Toxx that Ninja Rope will henceforward have to type all IPv6 addresses using decimal.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I've yet to see a PDU setup that I really, really like. It's always some decision of what I'm okay with giving up. Bluecobra, your two-color power cable suggestion is the best thing.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Is there a WCS/NCS/Prime-sized tool that manages ASAs? Even smaller or CLI-based would be nice. I'd love a pushable central config with some allowances, just to keep my core rules in synch and be able to change them all at once. I know there's CiscoWorks but even loading demos makes me instantly and continuously frustrated, never mind the extra cost.

They really need to beat Checkpoint and Palo Alto on centralized config, but I have no hope that Cisco will.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

routenull0 posted:

Since they are matching up 1:1, something is feeding it bullshit.
That's the rub. It's either something spewing traffic at it or it's the processor doing too much of something that makes it ignore the interface queue. I'd guess the latter because of the DATAPATH process numbers and the fact that the switch isn't doing very much. Is the ASA logging, debugging or mirroring/spanning anything more than it should be? Looks like you can't enable flow control and rule out traffic.

Nothing physical layer? Won't autonegotiate is pretty strange.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

The switch interface output said that direction was unsupported, so I imagine it just drops it -- but that did move the problem and underscore the need for a span.

e:

jwh posted:

Use ether channel to increase the number of FIFO queues.
nice one

bort fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 15, 2013

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I still think a 5515 should be able to handle a Nessus scan as well as the traffic sizes in the slices you've posted, unless inspection configured to act against it or manically log when it happens.

ninja edit: you're not vulnerable to Nessus scanning, I guess.

real edit:

routenull0 posted:

Not attempting to be insulting here either, but have you changed the sw1 --> asa-gi0/0 cable?
:hfive: oh wait, but the flow control moved the drops to the switch.

bort fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 15, 2013

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Failover interfaces are negotiated at gig, right? No Active/Active, standby looks normal?

e: just thinking that maybe failover/ARP table magic could be sending extra traffic to the active firewall interface.
not seeing any bugs that touch this

bort fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 15, 2013

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Always with the mysteries, ASA.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

jwh posted:

So there you have it! :toot:
At this point, I would be yelling at my sales rep if it were any other vendor. But Cisco sales keeps you at arm's length unless you're a tremendous customer, and bitching out your VAR that Cisco sucks doesn't accomplish anything (unless they specifically recommended a 5515 in this scenario). Cisco just shrugs and dares you to recommend buying a multi-vendor solution.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I think you need to allow larger packet sizes for both. I have used "fixup protocol dns maximum-length 4096", but I think there's a newer command where you allow larger packets in the inspection clauses. Otherwise the ASA drops the UDP query and the requester retransmits using TCP.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

mezoth posted:

This is basically the response TAC gave me for my 5540 overrun problems (constant 3-5% overrun with a max of 250meg traffic on a 1gig interface). In short, the ASA interfaces are pieces of junk. Thanks for letting me know this still happens on the newer line of ASAs, however!
I wonder what's wrong? If there's prevalent overruns, then something in the queue/interface/bus/cpu/driver/os stack is either undersized or is screwing up its job. None of these loads sound crazy. Is it really that packets arrive so quickly now that something in the stack on a Cisco firewall can't process them?

:crossarms: you could all have misconfigured firewalls

:tinfoil:

e: what I did all day was look at SmartNet costs.

ee:

psydude posted:

Might have been linked a while back, but apparently Cisco is opening up EIGRP for multi-vendor support.
holy poo poo! All that work I just put into OSPF :eng99:

gently caress you cisco

bort fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 16, 2013

bort
Mar 13, 2003

routenull0 posted:

I had this exact conversation with a friend that runs a 100% Cisco shop. When it comes to firewalls, so many other things are in play; inspection, NAT, etc but the last two issues we've seen in this thread haven't even hit those area's yet. It is either under sizing gear for the requirement (which I doubt, jwh is a smart dude) or Cisco being shady on the capabilities of the ASA. If you look at the ASA datasheet, there is *zero* about pps throughput, buffer depth, or anything near what the two have run into. You go looking at datasheets and get stuck with the assumption that X fits the role, but once deployed, it cannot keep up and Cisco's response is 'buy bigger'.
jwh, I aspire to be the network engineer that you are -- please understand my post was in jest.

Force10 blew away the Cisco performance myth for me, though. Cisco gear does have limitations, maybe we're just finally seeing lovely hardware Oz behind the curtain.

Nebulis01 posted:

I'm looking for a book
Buy Safari for a month or two.

P.S. 8.4 NAT isn't that bad. But gently caress you already Cisco.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

quote:

sales engineers
will kill you if you bought the "converged networking" story. Nothing wants to go at the interface speeds they say it will.

edit: and want to agree with you on F5. Those are stand-up guys, 2003 Cisco-era support people.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

You wanna sell me something? The words are: "let us put it in a lab for you."

bort
Mar 13, 2003

There's an F5 guy in Russia who I'd seriously pony up $1,000 to if I ever met him IRL. He not only took me through the failure I was experiencing but probable failures the next morning under production load, and basically saved me and my boss at a critical time. I've wasted countless hours in fruitless support queues in my career, but this one that mattered totally saved my rear end. Why that guy in particular?

:confuoot:

bort
Mar 13, 2003

We had one of our Force10 S50s fail. Dell shipped us a replacement switch.

:stonk:
I guess that's why they're cheaper than SmartNet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Bluecobra posted:

:wtf: Did you send this picture to your sales rep?
Indeed I did. We're having an ongoing partnership to improve our support experience :words:

I think the support quality is sharply declining and they don't have a handle on how to fix it. They've sold so much equipment so quickly into so many environments that they're now struggling to keep up with their customers. As much poo poo as I've given Cisco's support on price and declining quality, they've certainly never shipped me a disgusting switch that hadn't been reset.

e: the other thing I said yesterday is that Force10 is something of an anomaly for Dell. Where most of their offerings are aimed at the meat of the bell curve in performance/engineering/use case, Force10 was a weird niche player offering high performance to some big data centers. I don't think Dell is prepared to handle support for those kinds of players, and everyone keeps saying they're shedding original Force10 people who might salvage that. I'm a little bearish on 'em too, in other words.

Still very nice gear, it's just you gotta be prepared to fix it or to muscle support and the dev process around.

bort fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 18, 2013