Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

So, it's not a Cisco Tech's job too mount racks and all that?

By the way, how does the minor in CS sound? I'd probably also get Server + and Network +

Depends on the company. When I'm working on an implementations team, we might have to rack some 6513s, 4510Rs, 4506s, and a number of 3750s, 2960s, etc, as part of the implementation. And program them. I've even had to run cable every now and again.

But, we're generally set up so that if you can't do heavy lifting, there are plenty of other things you can do, and plenty of other people to help out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Chuu posted:

I have a rj-45 -> db9 management cable. If I use a db9->usb adaptor (example : link) can I use this on a computer without a serial port?

I'm asking because it looks like these are "dumb" adapters and not truly emulating a serial port. If the answer is no, any suggestions on how to search eBay for this in a way that's going to filter all of those out?

I've had some coworkers who have had to do this because their serial port died, and yes it will work.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sidmae posted:

I was wondering what equipment I should buy to practice for the CCNA exam. I went through the cisco networking academy for the previous curriculum, so I didn't learn about some of the newer items on the curriculum like wireless(I think).

For the CCNA you'll probably be fine just using GNS3, provided you have access to some router IOS images. I passed it pretty easily without ever really using any physical equipment to study.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

NeuralSpark posted:

I realized the FXO cards are useless to me without landlines, but I've already got it running NAT and QoS for my cable modem. I've got a 3750E-24PD stacked to it powering every CAT5 port in the house and 2 1252s and an 1131 are currently in stand-alone mode providing wireless.

I'm pretty comfortable with IOS, I just have no idea where to start with the VoIP stuff on the CLI. The small VoIP system you mention is really my goal in all this, just to learn. The wireless controller is really just a perk since the APs are already running, but it's there so why not play with it? I'll see if I can get CME from our Cisco guys.

If you can't get CME or call manager access, you might be able to play around with some SRST stuff with the router and phones. Might want to pick up a Magic Jack or something to plug into an FXO port to have fun with that.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

falz posted:

Blasphemous I know but you could see if a Catalyst Express does voice VLANs. I've never used one (they don't have CLI, only web interface) but maybe it's IOS underneath.

They do voice vlans. There's a quasi-CLI available through the web interface, but it's all one command at a time, submitted through a web form. Handy for showing CDP neighbors and a couple other things, but I wouldn't want to configure one from it.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Powercrazy posted:

GBICs are old and busted the "New Hotness" are SFP+s. However for your purposes it should be fine. Just make sure you have SC fiber ends.

Speaking of SFPs, we just got a customer who's previous vendor sold them a 48 port SFP linecard for either a 4500 or 6500 switch, and 48 GLC-Ts.

Yeah, that's right. 48 GLC-Ts instead of a 48 port gigabit ethernet card.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Powercrazy posted:

haha. Do the GLC-Ts work on the sfp linecards? I remember there was a particular set of SFP cards that wouldn't work with teh copper converters. They might be the 6748-SFPs though.

Apparently they do.

Of course, I'm getting all this second hand from the one coworker who's been over to work on that site. The gist of it was that there was no real reason for the SFP linecard and not just one of several 10/100/1000 48 port ethernet cards.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I've got a couple 3825s and 2821s with T1 WICs in them, used as PRIs for voice calls. We want to monitor the PRIs for utilization, but can't seem to find a way to do so.

Anyone have any ideas?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Syano posted:

As in just see how many channels are used at specific intervals? I apologize for not having an answer I was just curious to know what specifically you were looking to find out.

Yeah, pretty much. Keep an eye on utilization so we can decide whether capacity needs increasing or can be decreased for cost savings.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

reborn posted:

Completely unrelated to what you guys have been going on about but I have an issue.

I'm not familiar at all with CallManager or the voice side of things outside of setting up QoS for it and doing some basic debugging. I'm also not familiar with DID lines, mostly pots lines so if anyone could provide some basic help that'd be great.

I have a set of new DID line numbers that I need to add to the pool. How do I go about this? The CallManager gui is about as forgiving as a bear trap and my tinkering hasn't worked thus far. It doesn't help that this system I'm working on was setup years ago and ported over for the most recent CallManager version. The translation patterns are assanine and I'm astounded that this setup even works.

If someone can just provide some real basic steps, nothing too detailed, I can figure it out I just don't know where to start.

Do I need to create a new dial-peer on the router which the DID will be coming in through?

What version of CallManager? How are the lines coming into the system? T1/PRI?

I've got access to a couple different versions of CCM, as well as a variety of hardware available, so I might be able to put together a walkthrough for you.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

reborn posted:

The latest version of CallManager and they are coming in through a PRI through a 2821.

Do you already have working lines coming in through that PRI? Do you just want your external number to reach an internal extension?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

CanOfMDAmp posted:

Super simple question here I hope, but I know I have no idea what the answer is.

I've got a WS-C2924C-XL-EN switch, running some IOS that is only who knows how old (sh ver: http://pastebin.com/xa7L1ZTb). It's spitting out a tremendous number of errors related to some kind of processor deal, then some kind of timing stuff. That's only when I turn on debugging. I assume a new IOS might fix that, as per what Google told me. I'd like to know what version of IOS I can run so I can upgrade. However, my real problem is that I've got a bizarro setup that I can't trace the problem for.

Your pastebin link isn't working, but Cisco's website says the following are the newest IOS images.

c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC17.bin
c2900xl-c3h2l9s-mz.120-5.WC17.bin

However, that might not fix it. That switch is pretty old, the end of support date was Nov 2006. You should be able to get a comparable 2950 for less than $100 now.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

reborn posted:

Sorry for not checking back I've been working crazy hours. Yea it's over an existing PRI and it'll be a 1 to 1 yes. So external number coming in to one internal extension.

Just to be clear here I can do an awful lot of things when it comes to networking, setup multi homed sites with dynamic routing, GETVPNs, DMVPNs, you name it I'll figure it out and do it but when it comes to VOIP I just tune out for whatever reason. I really appreciate your help.

See if this helps:

Click here for the full 821x699 image.

Click here for the full 774x294 image.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
That's on 7.1, but I'm pretty sure 8 is the same or similar enough. I know that 4.x was pretty much the same as well. Also, the number you put in the incoming number field may vary depending on what your provider is forwarding you through the PRI. We're using AT&T here.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

reborn posted:

I wanted to thank you again I was able to get this setup and working. Now I have to add a new router with a new PRI though and I can't get it to bind to callmanager. I think my IOS may be too old because when I add the sccp info the highest version I can add is 4.1 so that may be the cause.

I also can't add codecs to my dspfarm it must not like the codecs I'm trying to use g77ulaw.

I'll have to poke around with it more since I need to just buckle down and learn this voip crap.

I'm glad I could help.

My experience is limited to CallManager, so I don't think I'm going to be able to help getting new PRIs set up.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
A partition is a group of extensions. Every extension must go in a partition. Partitions are used in calling search spaces. In order for one extension to call another, the receiving end's partition must be configured in the sending end's calling search space.

The calling search space is the group of partitions which a phone or line has permissions to call.

All of the logical groups have a purpose in CallManager, they're just not all readily apparent.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Your ip route command is wrong. Unless, of course, you want to send all requests which are intended for inside the network to outside the network.

should be:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 111.111.111.112

That way it will send requests for anything not locally connected to the outside network.

EDIT:

Also, you don't have any DNS servers set in your DHCP pool. Not really a problem, but unless you've manually set DNS servers on each of your clients you could possibly run into issues.

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 21, 2010

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Bardlebee posted:

Would the DNS be my internal DNS server or the default gateway of the ISP? For example, my DNS Server is also my DC, which is 192.168.2.113.

dns-server 192.168.2.113

If you've got an internal DNS server, use that. Otherwise your ISP generally provides some, but it's generally not your default gateway. Google and OpenDNS provide free DNS services as well.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to specify which phones will fall into SRST mode on CallManager or the local router? We've got several sites with 2821s and more than 50 phones, and want to specify which phones will fall into SRST modes, and which phones just won't work.

Any ideas?

EDIT: CallManager 7.1 and Cisco IOS Software, 2800 Software (C2800NM-SPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(13a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 29, 2010

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It's better than Tandberg's hold music. It's a one minute classical loop.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

Does this require physical access to the device?

Yeah, it does. Only way to do anything in rommon mode is through the console port.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

para posted:

Has anyone received any new 4500's? We've been waiting months for the ones we ordered to be delivered but they keep saying there's a back order a mile long. Is anyone seeing these actually being delivered?

We've got a whole bunch of equipment we're scheduled to start installing tomorrow, that is still MIA. I know a 6500 chassis is in that list, not sure about a 4500 chassis though.

I know Cisco has had some supply problems over the last year or so. I think it mostly has to do with underestimating demand, and the supply line just can't seem to catch up. I know there's been 3+ month delays on ASAs and Nexus equipment.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

They scaled back production big time when the recession hit and demand for new equipment waned, then were caught with their pants down when people decided to start upgrading equipment.

Does Cisco manufacture their own equipment or do they contract it out to third parties? It's entirely possible that it's a supplier problem.

Pretty sure I've seen Foxconn's name on some parts, but that makes sense.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ragzilla posted:

Right.

Also I like how it's a gigabit switch but "The switch supports up to 48 connected devices with a maximum speed of 200 Mbps per port.", that's just tragic, skimping on the fabric so much you can only do 200mbit/port.

I think they're referring to the fact that most of the ports on that switch are 10/100 full duplex which equals 200mbit/port!!!!!!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Got a brand new fully loaded 4506E in yesterday, and the Sup6-E linecard is dead.

:argh:

At least the scheduled install date isn't for another month or two.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Bardlebee posted:

I have dreams of working with equipment like this. Count your blessings. :(

But, it still sucks. What is it exactly? A super powered switch port? I am reading about it and it says:

code:
Centralized 320 Gbps switching capacity with 250 Mpps of throughput

• IPv6 support in hardware, providing wire-rate forwarding for IPv6 networks

• Dual 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplinks (X2 optics)

• Hardware forwarding entries: 256,000

• Quality of service (QoS) services hardware entries: 64,000

• Security services entries: 64,000

• Low latency
:stare:

The supervisor linecards for the modular chassis switches like the 4500 and 6500 series switches are basically the brains of the switch. It's where the main processor and IOS of the switch are housed. It's where any layer 3 functions are handled, etc.

Most chassis are built for only one supervisor linecard, but some have two, for redundancy. The 4510R has two supervisor linecard slots, for example.

Most supervisor linecards have two gig or ten gig gbic slots. Of course, the two 10 gig slots on this one are going to have adapters that let you use two gig SFPs.

The one with the bad sup linecard has two 48 port gigabit POE switch linecards, two 48 port gigabit linecards, and a 24 port SFP gigabit linecard. Not sure why they ordered the SFP linecard, but I think it was grant money, so whatever.

This new sup6-E linecard is pretty cool, and I do like that Cisco is moving toward USB for console access, but I wish they'd pick one USB cable and stick with it. The linecard has a big old standard B type USB plug, while the new routers all have microUSB plugs. :argh:

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 6, 2011

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

jwh posted:

I have a bunch of 4510Rs scattered around the country and they're okay. They're all SUP5 though.

Cable management sucks though, as in, there isn't any.

They ship with plastic cable management racks that attach to either side of where the linecards are.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, 3750-X switches with LANBase will only stack with other 3750-X switches with LANBase! EXCITING!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Older 3750s you could finagle things into working.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

jbusbysack posted:

I think he's referencing since the move to the universal codebase, with separate license feature upgrades you cant make a stack of ipbases into advipservices for $stealing.

Or go the other way if you don't need the advanced features. Sometimes you get thrown into situations where the salesman sells things without fully knowing the capabilities and limitations of the hardware is.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Stew Man Chew posted:

Is there anywhere to download the latest Cisco VPN Client without having a big fancy account? I'm looking to access my shared drive at work from my personal computer.

I don't know if this counts as a :filez: question because although it says the VPN client is "free", it requires logging in to Cisco's secure servers to download.

Only way I know is if you have a CCO account.

HOWEVER, there are plenty of other clients that will connect to a ipsec VPN. I've used ShrewSoft VPN client in the past.

http://www.shrew.net/download

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
For tabbed PuTTY, I like PuTTYCM. http://sourceforge.net/projects/puttycm/

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

it was a tossup whether I should post this here or in the asterisk thread.

I have a CUCM environment. In this environment I have branch offices that I would like gain access to the PSTN via SIP. Does it make sense to license CUBE on each branch router, and terminate the local SIP trunks at the router, or should I terminate them all at our main datacenter? If I terminate at the branches, will the RTP stream traverse our wan to the CUCM, then back to the branch to hit the phone, or will the RTP stream only go from the branch router to the phone?

Are you going to have PSTN access at the branch sites other than the SIP trunks? Are you planning on using SRST? What are your plans for calling 911 at the branch sites?

What we usually do for customers if they have a main office and several branch locations in a general metro area is to have one or two POTS lines at each branch location and a PRI at the main location. Incoming calls to the main lines at the branches come in over the POTS lines, and outgoing calls go out over the PRI at the main location. This way you save money by bundling and sharing the bulk of the lines over the PRI at the main office, but each branch also has at least one POTS line to make/receive calls over in SRST mode in the event of a WAN or datacenter failure. Also, all 911 calls are routed out over the local gateway through the POTS line at each site so the e911 information is correct.

If you terminate at the branches, the RTP stream will only traverse from the router to the phone.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE3
c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.150-1.SE2

Is Universal the new iOS line? I basically just need EIGRP, Auto QOS, and Layer 3, which Universal does and for some reason I have the impression that it is the more up to date iOS.

Yes, universal is the new IOS line (iOS is for Apple devices). However, instead of having different features in different versions, they're activated in the universal version using licenses.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

We are going to continue to terminate a single pots line (shared with the alarm) for 911 access. I did some experimentation today, and it looks like the CUBE router relays all traffic, including RTP, through our call manager. I am using sip to sip, not h323 internally.

Are you sure all the traffic is hairpinning through the callmanager? I know in traditional voice gateway scenarios with POTS or PRI lines, it doesn't, and I don't see why it would with the CUBE.

In fact, this Cisco whitepaper sells the CUBE on the fact that remote sites don't need to hairpin the voice traffic through the central CM.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps5640/cis_45835_cube_assets_wp1e.pdf

(Page 7-8)

Granted, I don't have much experience with the CUBE. One of my coworkers is working on his CCIE Voice, and has played around with the CUBE quite a bit, so I'll run it by him tomorrow.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Are you using them as standalone APs or as lightweight APs in conjunction with a controller?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Speaking of WLC, is there a way to change the idle timeout on individual SSIDs instead of just on the controller in general?

Yes, there is. It's under the Advanced tab on the wlan configuration.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

CrazyLittle posted:

Nah, 2960 switches are still on the old catalyst OS 12.2 branch. It's the routers that are up to 15.2

The worst is how it randomly logs me out while navigating the various pay-gates within their site.

The 3750-X and 3560-X switches are on 15 as well.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Erwin posted:

Okay, another dumb question, but I want to confirm my understanding coming from the Procurve world:

I have a VLAN 10 for VOIP with Polycom phones. The phones are configured explicitly for that vlan, so they tag their traffic. On the Procurves, ports have a primary vlan, but can also be a member of other tagged vlans. Trunks are something entirely different (aggregated links).

With Cisco, it sounds like if I want to plug a computer into a port and have it be on vlan 1, then disconnect it and connect a phone tagged on 10, it needs to be a trunk, even though trunks are defined as connecting two switches in the Cisco world. Is that right? Is that the best way to handle it? We're not daisy-chaining the computer through the phone, so it doesn't need to recognize both at the same time, but I don't want to reconfigure anything if I swap a computer out for a phone, and I want the phones on their own VLAN. Not that that's the end of the world, but I'm lazy.

Like ragzilla said, the "switchport voice vlan 10" will accept tagged traffic intended for vlan 10. This allows you to use the auto-qos command, and traffic going over the voice vlan will be given higher priority.

On the newer switches, a port configuration for a phone with auto-qos would be done something like this:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/14
switchport access vlan 100
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 10
auto qos voip cisco-phone

The "auto qos voip cisco-phone" command will add a few other lines of configuration to the port, and a bunch of lines of configuration to the global config. You could use this config on all your ports, and will allow you to move phones around without having to reconfigure the port every time. It'll keep the PCs on your PC vlan, and your phones on your voice vlan.

You can also configure the ports as a trunk, and connect a PC to it. Since PCs don't normally tag their traffic, it'll default to sending the untagged traffic over vlan 1. You can configure this on the port as well, using the "switchport trunk native vlan XXX" command, which will put all untagged traffic coming in on that port into vlan XXX.

Older Cisco switches, such as the 3500XL switches, didn't automatically trunk the port for a phone with the voice vlan command on an access port, and the port had to be configured to trunked. This way, if you had a PC hanging off the back of a phone, you had to use the "switchport trunk native vlan" command to put the data from the PC onto the correct vlan. For purposes here, this command functions the same on a trunk port as the "switchport access vlan" command works on an access port. Such a configuration would look like this:

interface FastEthernet 0/14
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 100
switchport voice vlan 130

With a trunked port though, by default it'll accept tagged traffic for any vlan, which isn't always desirable for security reasons. The voice vlan command only accepts tagged traffic for the voice vlan, and not for any others.

EDIT: Wow, that's a lot of :words:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Pvt. Public posted:

My question is thus: I know the 7945Gs will the fine for normal desk phones, but will the 7965s with the 7916 expansions be sufficient for operator/receptionist phones? The main functions these phones need to serve are to display all active user's desk phone line status (incall/dnd/offcall) on the expansion display (so they can see when someone is on the phone), field incoming calls on 4 lines, paging over intercom (phone speaker) and park calls to 4 hold extensions for pickup.

I think they will, but I don't know much about voice products so I'm out of my element here (hence calling the consulting places). If anyone can give me some pointers or more information/better models, I'm all ears. Thanks guys.

Yes, a 7965 with 7916 would work perfectly for what you want. You can use a busy lamp field/speed dial button to monitor and call all the other extensions in the office. You can also hook up two sidecar (7914, 7915, 7916) modules to a single phone.

One note though, if you ever move up from CME to full CallManager, CallManager does not do paging/intercom to multiple phones at once like CME will. You can do single phone to single phone with CallManager, but not a "broadcast".

There are also several ways to deal with the calls to the incoming lines. You can actually have all 4 lines ring to a single directory number on the phone, leaving additional line appearances open on the phone for more lines/features.

Also, unless you have a real need for color screens on your new phones, I'd just buy 7942s and 7962s.

I'm a little rusty on CME, but let me know if you've got any more questions.