Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkady
Jun 18, 2004

Off to work!
I'm experiencing the strangest problem.
I have a network with the following configuration:

Router A is not really a router and we don't really care about it at the moment.

The problem is that Router B is not sending RIP updates towards Router A. It is configured with RIP v2, classless, zubnet zero and with no split horizon. The networks configured on Router B are "network 10.31.13.0" and "network 192.168.0.0".
With that config Router B is not sending any updates to Router A. I checked the "debug ip rip" and the RIP is only sending update messages to the 10.31.13.1 interface but not to the 192.168.0.0 interface. I have checked the "show ip protocols" and the 192.168.0.0 network is recognised by RIP. It is also there in the "show ip route" as a locally connected network.

What is even more strange is that if I change the IP of the interfaces between Router A and B to 172.30.x.x it works just fine, sending updates to both interfaces.
All of the above is leading me to believe it has something to do with the class of the networks.. But RIP shouldn't care. It is supposed to send multicasts to the interface that is not on the advertised network. It doesn't build connections or verify that there is someone to receive the multicast. It just sends them out.

I know that this configuration is not a good one. I also know that setting both routers on the same network works fine. This configuration was not made by me and has to stay the same for compatability reasons.

Please tell me I am missing something stupid and that I didn't just stumble onto some strange bug.

Lastly, here is the config I received before doing my tests on it.
code:
!
version 12.4
service config
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname Router
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
!
no aaa new-model
!
resource policy
!
ip subnet-zero
!
!
ip cef
!
!
no ip domain lookup
!
!
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
 ip address 192.168.4.26 255.255.0.0
 duplex auto
 speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
 ip address 10.31.13.1 255.255.255.0
 duplex auto
 speed auto
!
router rip
 version 2
 network 10.0.0.0
 network 192.168.0.0
!
ip classless
!
ip http server
!
!
control-plane
!
!
line con 0
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
 login
!
scheduler allocate 20000 1000
!
end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkady
Jun 18, 2004

Off to work!

Tremblay posted:

Exactly what image are you running? Is this in production or in a test lab?

I didn't check the version, but it's safe to assume it's a very recent one.
It's in a test lab. We are testing a few things for satellite communication (that's the cloud), with the Router A being a VSAT.

Quickie edit: Just checked the same setup in Netsim and it does exactly the same thing; doesn't send RIP updates to 192.168.0.0 interface, but sends them to 172.31.0.0 without a problem. What is going on! :argh:

Arkady fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 12, 2007

Arkady
Jun 18, 2004

Off to work!

atticus posted:

Then what is it? Are you running routed, gated, quagga on some server if it's not a router? Are they configured properly?

Why why why oh why (no split horizon)

The Router A is a VSAT - Satellite router of sorts. It is configured properly and all I really need is for Router B to send a RIP update to it. The rest should be easy.
I tried testing without split horizon (not shown in this config) because this is a going to be connected to an isolated satellite network, so no fear of loops and such.

atticus posted:

Not the class. RIPv2 is classless. First of all you need to fix the subnet masks on the 192.168.x.x network. Secondly split horizon is still turned on from looking at your config. Thirdly you need to use major network addresses in your network statements. If you fix both ends of the link to /30's and add the network with
on both sides, it will happily work. See for yourself.

I know RIP v2 is classless, but for some reason class is coming into the calculation in this case.
Putting the two interfaces on the same network does solve the problem, but that's not the issue. The issue is why doesn't the router advertise RIP to a 192.168.0.0 network. You see, I need to leave the interface of Router A as a /30 and I need to leave the interface on Router B as /16. It works fine for all networks I have tested so far except 192.168.0.0

atticus posted:

edit

I am not sure why do they have to match. The interface can't recognise the other interface's IP and mask. RIP doesn't care for classes or neighbors. It just sends the updates.
As for the masks having to be the same; I'm not sure they do. Ping goes fine between differently subnetted networks. Why do you think it would be a problem?

Arkady fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 12, 2007

Arkady
Jun 18, 2004

Off to work!

jwh posted:

192.168/16 is classful /24 space, so your third octet needs to play ball with what's configured on the interface. RIPv2 is classless, but it's configuration isn't. The reason your 10/8 and 172.16/16 attempts worked, is because they were accidentally the correct classful mask.

I'm still not entirely sure why doesn't the router recognise the 192.168.4.26 interface in the 192.168 /16 network. Are you saying that even though the network is /16, the interface is being recognised with the /24 mask?
Also, what debug command did you use?
Still, the solution you suggested works perfectly. Thank you very much.

Arkady fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 13, 2007

Arkady
Jun 18, 2004

Off to work!

jwh posted:

*Jul 12 15:26:27.059: rip_route_adjust for Serial1/0 coming up
*Jul 12 15:26:27.063: IP: s=192.168.4.26 (local), d=224.0.0.9 (Serial1/0), len 52, sending broad/multicast
*Jul 12 15:26:27.067: RIP: sending request on Serial1/0 to 224.0.0.9

Houston, we have a problem. I think I have started celebrating too soon.

I checked this idea in my lab, with the same results as you presented. Except that you didn't show it sending updates to the interface. And it didn't.

Right now the router is sending a RIP request to the 192.168 /16 interface after the interface comes up from shutdown as expected from RIP. The problem is; the router doesn't send RIP updates to that interface. It only sends out a request once, and nothing after.
As always, interfaces with other IP addresses work fine.

Arkady fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 15, 2007

Arkady
Jun 18, 2004

Off to work!

Jeff73 posted:

RouterB(config)#ip route 192.168.4.24 255.255.255.252 fa0/0

Hey guys,
I have tested this idea in the lab and it works perfectly. Jeff, Atticus, thank you very much for your help.

It is still very interesting why the IOS looks to send out a /16 (or even /24) RIP update from a /30 network. I'll try to do some tests tomorrow and try to figure this out.
The only two options I see are at the moment are; the other side of the network being /30 or the address on the Interface being somehow in in the /30 network. Both seem very unlikely.
I'm probably missing something.

Arkady
Jun 18, 2004

Off to work!

Jeff73 posted:

Arkady, which OS version(s) are the firewalls running? Do you have a CSC account? I lack one, so the Juniper knowledge base is playing cagey.

I think you mean GodofLint? :confused:

Arkady
Jun 18, 2004

Off to work!
Hey guys, I think it's about time for me to start studying for the CCNP. What literature would you recommend to prepare for it?
How long after your CCNA did you go for the CCNP? How long after CCNP did you go for CCIE?

Also, how many of you are CCIE? I figured they would be pretty rare.. But they aren't, it seems. v:shobon:v

Arkady
Jun 18, 2004

Off to work!
Does anyone know of a way to make a 2950/60 switch or a 1800 series router to strip the 802.1p tagging?
I have a device on my network that drops all data that is tagged with QoS (802.1p). That's not good. Now I need to find a way to completely strip that tag. Like a reverse "switchport priority default".
So far I have found ways to add such a tag or to change it, but not ways to remove it. It would be swell if someone could help me figure it out.

Edit: The image is standard, not enhanced.

Arkady fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 23, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkady
Jun 18, 2004

Off to work!

Girdle Wax posted:

From the 2950 QoS FAQ.

The way I'm reading that, you need to issue 2 commands:
code:
mls qos cos 0
mls qos cos override
Why do you feel dot1p tagging is bad though?

I've read that FAQ, but from my understanding all it does is override the COS with a different value, not strip it. Meaning I'd still be left with a COS value, be it 0, or something else. Am I wrong in this?

The problem I'm having is one of the propriety devices on the network, a router of sorts, dropping all packets tagged with COS. This problem is being worked on a system level, but I was hoping to find an networking solution in the meanwhile.