Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Not sure if I asked this before, but this is just a curiosity. Dealing with Cat 3750G-PoE's we occasionally find ports that just won't work at Gig, for no apparent reason. The agonizingly long startup tests show nothing, then we will find a port that will work great at 10/100 but will not negotiate at gig, or work at gig if we lock it down. We tried the obvious, shut/no shut, check log, etc. Nothing comes up, or helps, save for a reload. Obviously once we have a switch full of users operating in a production environment, we can't do this. We're not terribly concerned about it, because it is just one port every so often and we just move the user to an available port, generally. The only thing we could think of is there is some problem with using a 5 Pair punch on 110 blocks, may be causeing a problem. I know it does with PoE devices, you will sort the pairs and get a power error, so we don't do that. We did have this issue show up on one of the mini GBIC ports, however.

Anyone have this happen, or have any ideas? Its just a curiosity...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Powercrazy posted:

The only think I can figure is that you have PoE configured for the ports stuck at 10/100. PoE can't work at GigE speeds. Also is the other device capable of running GigE? Finally if it's only one port sometimes, it sounds like you might have a bad patch between end device and the port. If you have a lovely cable that can't support GigE then it will go down to 100.

In any case I think its a layer 1 problem, and not necessarilly a problem with the switch.

That is possible. I mentioned using the 5 pair punch which does cause PoE problems on devices trying to draw the power. If it somehow turns it 'on', that may work. I don't think I examined closely an interface exhibiting this behavior enough to notice any comments about PoE. When we find a failure at a workstation, I will test the port, direct attached with a gig enabled laptop, and known good patch, and find that it will flop between "Acquiring address" and "Disconnected". Other times it will sit at disconnected and at some point in time it will appear as being at 100M and start working. Locking the port at 100M, is instant.

However, we did have this issue with one of the mini GBiC ports, for a fibre uplink. Last I checked you can't run power over fibre, so unless the switch becomes confused for some reason that shouldn't play into it.

It hasn't come up recently, and we have been running SEE2 on the IOS, instead of SEB or SED, so maybe it was some odd glitch that is no longer present. It was sort of a running joke that you had to wait 5 minutes for a port test that did not actually seem to "test" anything when we had what would appear to be bad ports, but they may not actually be bad.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Powercrazy posted:

It's very possible that it was a code problem. But I'm still suspicious of why setting the port to 100 would cause it to come up immediately unless PoE was enabled somehow.

Strange. As far as the fiber problem, Cisco devices are pretty specific about what SFP's you use, so if it wasn't that, then it could be any number of things.

The cable tester we are using shows no PoE on these ports being on, unless the switch thinks it is. The fibre issue cleared with a switch reload, so whatever the hardware setup was, seemed to be fine.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

evilZardoz posted:

Now, question for y'all. Has anybody here seen stack port flaps (up/downs) on the Catalyst 3750 switches? We've got over 1500 in production and we've found we're getting this happen about 2-4 times a month. Sometimes the whole stack goes crazy and reloads. A hardware replacement of the affected switch has solved the problems prior and we have a TAC case/EFA in progress. We can't possibly be the only organisation seeing this.

We have seen them crash on their own and reload, and since the drat things take forever to boot up we do hear about it, but there hasn't been anything we can do. I haven't seen any of them actively disrupt a stack continuously warrenting replacement for just that reason, but I have noted that depending on how it is set up, if you have loops and other errors that it is monitoring for recovery, it may eventually run out of memory and poo poo itself.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

We use WCS but don't do anything with the rogues. They pop up but in this environment it does not matter. Hundreds of them anyways so it would be a mess.

If anyone here does VoIP, I am curious to know with CIPC, if there is any way to disable native CDP with it, it pops up and gets the PC swung into a voice VLAN with hardware phones, which prompts the whole setup to pretty much stop working at that point. I'm sure there is a better/more appropriate way about it, but I can't seem to find anything that would be helpful.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Working on a cool issue that has appeared recently, wherein the VLAN configuration for switchports disappears at random. I don't know what is causing this, yet, nor how long it has really been an issue, because of several other factors people generally wouldn't notice what is going on.

At least Cisco keeps you busy.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have a vendor attempting to configure and send us an ASA 5510 . The idea was that we were going to have one interface on the device, publicly addressed (all our stuff is) . The device establishes a tunnel off to somewhere else, we route traffic to it internally for that range on the other end of the tunnel, it spits out the encrypted traffic towards the gateway, and it rolls over the internet.

On the reverse the tunneled traffic would be heading towards the public IP of the appliance, where it would be able to decrypt and find the remote destination, and forward the traffic again towards the gateway which would send it off wherever it needed to go.

At least, that is how I understood it to work, but now I'm being told it only functions if I have two interfaces with two addresses on two subnets, which seems like it isn't necessary.

I figure someone here may have encountered this and could tell me why either that won't work or why it owuld be a bad idea.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Steve Slavery posted:

With VPNs you cannot have your peer address in the same subnet as the subnet you're tunneling. How is your firewall (and theirs) supposed to know to transport encrypted traffic over "itself"?

You always need an ip on a different subnet for your peer address. Usually it isn't a problem because the address space you're tunneling is usually an internal network but sometimes it isn't.

I'm not sure I understand this, as I really haven't ever done anything with VPN's. The VPN appliance is own its own subnet, we chopped off a piece of our network for it.

The traffic that we want to go to some subnet at the far end would have a static route setup to forward towards the VPN router. It would send the encrypted traffic back towards a gateway, which I would assume would be the only sticky part, to make sure that doesn't just get routed back to itself, so that flows over the internet. The return traffic destined for that device would get decrypted and floated back towards our network to the peers.

All of the clients would be elsewhere on other subnets, that part is for certain.

e:

this sonicwall document describes this. I am obviously not using this product but it seems to make sense to me.

http://www.sonicwall.com/downloads/Firmware_6.x_Single_Arm_Mode_Concept_and_Configuration.pdf

Partycat fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 31, 2009

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I'm not familiar with that appliance, but for all the 1230's, 40's, and 50's we have here they seem to have 90 days on them for warranty.

The way we operate is we wait 83 days to install them so by the time we put them up and they fail we are out of luck :/

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

InferiorWang posted:

edit: Telecom companies always seem to be the most comically woeful when it comes to anything involving technology. Need to turn a circuit down? That will be a month.

This or that they can't find your circuit sometimes without not only the ID but the location, order number, time of day you ordered it, who you talked to, what you were wearing when you ordered it , etc .

They can, for sure, bill you for it, however.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

ragzilla posted:

(Or have you looked at the end of the fiber as you insert it to make sure you're not connecting the transmits together- assuming it's multimode (orange) cable)

Why would you do this ??? Multimode is not always orange, either.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

12.2(46)SE on Cat 3750Gs still having the "port won't operate at 1000/Full" item crop up at random . Attempts to negotiate and operate at 1000 but links/delinks then eventually operates at 100/Full . Clears on reload, sometimes appears randomly.

Had two power supplies die off last week, and then caps or something in them explode when we "tried another outlet/cord" for SnG's . Nice bang.

This version of software doesn't apply the voice VLAN properly when using macros when the switchport type is not set prior to application, only on the first port, when that is the first thing you do when you configure via terminal. That's just so baffling that I can work around it but ugh.

Now I've got ports on 3 or 4 switches which simply stop forwarding egress traffic for seemingly no reason . Debugs of the switch and packet captures confirm data is entering the switch , it is being processed, and data is coming back, but never makes it through the switch. Reload clears this, but, recently, it has cropped up again. All POST tests pass on the equipment. I wanted to do more rigorous diagnostics but I don't have enough spares to afford losing them all right now.

To the earlier comment about the 802.3af power, note not all equipment will power on 48 ports , unfortunately. The 3750G's we bought won't do it for all 48 ports, only 24 are supported. The E's will do it with the 1150W PSU, but they also support the high power devices so if you get a couple of those on there you lose some capacity still. Nothing is perfect.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

How about running modems over the VG248 voice gateway to a 6600 CMM with a PRI connected ?

Faxes work fine , voice works fine, no errors.

I have line clock
mgcp modem passthrough set for nse and g711ulaw
fax relay disabled

Active call readout shows "modempass" on the active call but all I get is a bunch of ear splitting squealing but it won't even come close to connecting.

I've about given up on it, but, wondering if anyone else has had luck. The gateway could also just be trash. It was complaining about 3.3V supply too low but is still operative.

---

I'm going to kick my own rear end if this turns out to be it , but , re-issued the proper commands and restarted the CMM. Now I get no audio on passthrough, diagnosing to make sure the firewall one of the other engineers slipped into our test network isn't causing a problem.

Partycat fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 18, 2010

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

Edit, our Cisco guru said the "Cisco GLC-SX-MM" is what we should use for our Cisco 2960s. No lights come on with I plug it into our 2960

It won't light up unless it is on and linked on anything I've used, unless you're staring into it to see if it "lights up".

show inventory from the CLI should show it present as a pluggable in the system if it sees it there. This is also assuming that you know it works, we've had several with no light output but never right out of the box.

ex:

switch>sh inv
NAME: "1", DESCR: "WS-C3750G-48PS"
PID: WS-C3750G-48PS-S , VID: V05 , SN: FOCSHIT

NAME: "GigabitEthernet1/0/49", DESCR: "1000BaseSX SFP"
PID: , VID: , SN: H11CASH

The 'unsupported' option sounds neat but, for the TAC reason mentioned above, we haven't yet done that, until we get into a good position with our deployment where we won't want to call TAC for issues they would case.

Loving this new software though, can't see the log buffer unless enabled (?) ...

Partycat fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 21, 2010

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

You could do no errdisable detect cause loopback , but that seems to be switch-wide and not applicable to individual ports.

e: rear end, I am terribly late to this ballgame.

Just tell them not to break their crap and set it to recover from loopback after 5 minutes or something.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I'm curious, and I'm looking at a network design here that's being thought over for data center design. This is internal data center, there is external traffic but the functionality of it is not primarily geared towards web traffic.

What is the caveat of using ACLs on something like 6509's or Nex 5548's at a core where ingress traffic is present, versus paying for other large firewall devices for deployment and installation in front of those for what would ultimately amount to a set of off-box ACLs? Is there any commentary on the performance hit , or vulnerability for that function that any one would care to share ?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Okay, I got another one. Is is possible to configure "anonymous call block" as a toggle feature in the CUCM? I can see that you can turn it on, on a SIP trunk, but I don't see where you could create that as a vertical service code or anything.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Nice stuff on that blog there too. Disabling Auto-MDIX would help us in a couple of loop instances. BPDUGuard works just fine I would say most of the time, however.

I like the article on connecting the 2248 FEX's to the 5500 device, and in a multi-link scenario, how you would drop FEX ports if you weren't using a port channel.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

VR Cowboy posted:

Wowza, I didn't know they could do that. Thanks! It definitely works on my 3560X, but not on my older 3560. That's really useful.

But if anyone has a personal favourite hand-held tester, we still have a lot of older 3560s and 3750s all over the place.

The built in test is only so useful. If a device is connected it can provide misleading results. In some instances it affects link state, before you get too comfortable buzzing that one in remotely.

I like the Fluke CableIQ. It's a cable tester. It does not do any other sort of testing, as far as DHCP, pinging addresses, etc. The LinkRunner Pro displays LLDP and CDP information, and gives some PoE presence information, but I really don't like wasting time with it. A keychain PoE detector and a laptop are infinately faster or more flexible.

We have an assload of 3750Xs deployed now, but I haven't run into any testing issues. What device are you using?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

ICOMM - Introduction to Cisco Voice and UC Administration
CVoice - Implementing Cisco Unified Communications Voice over IP and QoS

I took "ICOMM" or "ACCMU" or whatever it was. I assume every training class has:

- idiots
- jerks

so I ended up with people at the course who seemed to just be using a computer for the first time, and several people who played iPhone and asked the lecturer stupid questions. It was like a flash back to college.

If you've done basic system administration for MACs, maybe poked a route pattern, setup some Unity mailboxes and basic integration, then you probably shouldn't waste your time on that. They spent about 15 seconds on packet structure, codec, etc, and moved right on to point 'n click. And when I took it, it was CUCM 6, we had just moved off of 4, and now we're on 8 which has an entirely new pile of things.

CVoice is the pro one as far as I can tell, and then you go out and take the CCNA Voice is what I figured. Since I rarely get into it, I haven't bothered, and the deployment guides for the UCM anyways explain much. Unity can go eat it though.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

wolrah posted:

Oh goodie. I have one of those (SF300-24P) coming in for a customer tomorrow. They lost their only PoE switch capable of both Prestandard and 802.3af and this was the most desirable (read: cheapest) replacement option. At least they don't use any managed switch features, it's just there for the PoE, so I should only have to deal with it if I need to remote reboot them.

Is it just the same old SRW224G4P interface or did they somehow make it worse after the Cisco rebranding?

I have a growing number of SG300-24Ps. I'm not sure about heroin but the web interface is about on par for web interfaces for these things. The CLI menu is utterly pointless and needs to be shot. Also I like the "console only" management ACL you can enable, prompting you to have to go to the device and use the console to undo this action. Or, pull the cord since you can't save to apply that if you weren't already using the console in the first place.

Upgrade the software. Note the caveats in the 1.1.1.8 release notes. There are 1.1.2.0 notes if you look but they don't really seem to change anything. This gives you an "IOS like" CLI which you can frustrate yourself with.

The device can do much of what Cisco's limited edge devices can, but, it's not completely feature packed. If you look at the running config you will have a stroke, but, you can apply configuration commands with ranges or in blocks, it just prints each setting in individual interface config blocks for some reason.

VoIP on these used the OUI method but, at least now (didn't dare try it in the terrible stock firmware) you can turn on an auto smartport to pick up on the CDP/LLDP phone capabilities, and run a macro that applies the voice vlan to the port.

There are some other quirks to these but they are not the worst thing in the world, and leagues better than whatever office depot unit the departments would have come up with on their own. So far so good.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Anjow posted:

What are the settings on the other side? I had a channel that wouldn't come up not long ago, both sides were set to auto, when one had to be set to passive.

You can run both sides active. It will just be... active instead of listening for LACP PDUs first. While my understanding is that LACP is "off" while there is only one active member in the channel group, I am able to use that as a tagged link with a single port for recovery purposes if something blows up. If it were suspended, that obviously wouldn't do me any good.

Then again, I've seen LACP implode on a resource constrained switch. It would be nice to have the other side suspend itself, but, it may not anyways.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

ior posted:

The only caveat is the 'switchport default-vlan tagged' which you will not be familiar with.

Well it's not terrible, there are just some things which are in a different place, but, it is understandable anyways. The smartports are just a bit of a pain for me since I haven't had to deal with them, but, with VoIP here it seems that isn't much of an option to avoid them.

What's the purpose of that command you listed? Wouldn't you normally not tag the PVID?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

wolrah posted:

Thanks for the info. It got delayed and finally came in yesterday, but my boss wanted to get it out to the customer ASAP so I only got the chance to upgrade the firmware (it still had a 2010 firmware which did not support Prestandard PoE) and set up SNMP.

Good to know about the password. I could set the password via the web, but, when I entered the password I wanted into the CLI, it whined about complexity. I pasted the hash of the non-complex password and it shut up, which it should since it's a hash.

With SNMP you have to pick a version, or don't, but, I couldn't define a string to be V1 AND V2 with groups, it's one or the other. With basic it doesn't need to be specified and it works.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

A 3750 interface with the correct vlan. Vlan 130 and the 130.0 /24 range. Vlan 130 is trunked to the WLC on another switch. All switches are trunked together and are not pruning vlans.

As he said the cycling lights mean that it is trying to join the controller. If you look at the console it may give you an idea why it left the controller. AFAIK it won't move between controllers until it loses contact or is booted, so I don't see why DNS would screw with it once it is already online.

You could always do "lwapp ap controller ip address X.X.X.X" and specifiy if you wanted to avoid DNS (or configure controller IP in WCS) but I bet the problem is elsewhere.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Weathermap is nice - as I figure anything that gives you a better bird's eye view of problems should be investigated, for network health. Anything that does it faster (than say, scrolling syslogs like the Matrix or configuring some crazy coorelative event mangement system) is even better. Plus it looks neat.

As far as IPT goes - I was sent to ACCMU and have been tinkering with our VoIP system, which is a 6 node cluster running over 8k endpoints. I have some basic VoIP background from my own experiences with Asterisk, and most of it makes some logical sense. I realized about a year ago we are sort of boned though.

We built our dialplan based on management mandate to push transparency to our users, who are all in the same area code. We went with 7 digit extensions, no "dial 9" prefixing, and basically shot ourselves in the foot. Our dialplan wasn't designed with anything in mind, and the engineers we have working on this didn't come into the organization with any expertise - they are learning it themselves - so we're all hitting speedbumps.

As an example, since we ran flat dialing, all 7 digit extensions would hit a [2-9]XXXXXX route pattern in the local calling CSS and route out the gateway. What we ran into was DIDs pointed to our system but not defined or allocated would come in the gateway with 7 digits ( Verizon :( ) and then route back out and around again until it ate up a bunch of resources or did a max forwards type thing. Now we moved to UCM 8 because our UCCX was going out of support, the new version didn't work with UCM 6.1.2 , and there's a shitpot full of new features and things which have bit us we were not prepared for - because we're way off from the base deployment guide.

As per the earlier job posting, setting up a clustered system with 2500 endpoints and some basic call routing is not hard - but man is it easy to get way in over your head. I have my CCNA, reading some NP materials, but also having to poke into voice and wireless. With Cisco's unquenchable thirst to do everything this is getting to be pretty tough.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

With the SG series devices ...

It is clear they're not 100% IOS replicated, but, its not really all that bad to use. The macro/antimacro smart ports have thrown me for a loop.

Is there a way to return an interface to its default configuration? "Default" isn't present in the command set, at least on 1.1.2.0 , which makes macros for technicians to configure port scenarios not very practical. Understandably, if you know how to use IOS this isn't a problem, but we have people that do not.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

That, a HULC, and the LED process will eat some CPU, and I recall reading articles saying there was a software version where that was or may have been more CPU than it needed to grab on the 3750 platform, but, it wasn't concerning.

It's hard to narrow down 90% CPU but, I found the CPU will do that if it's dealing with any sort of forwarding loop or heavy storm control. It will also spike to near 100% if it is rebuilding the running configuration in the background, as if you exit global configuration or write memory.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

AtmaHorizon posted:

Same here, just that toothpick solved fan noise problem. Switch is under heavy power load - multiple PoE devices attached. Haven't encountered any problem so far (unless toothpick falls out).

I've had a couple of devices where the fan has failed, it has overheated, and shut off. In wiring closets mostly. It gets pretty darn hot. "sh env all" of course come back with FAN is OK . OK is not my criteria, I guess.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

So, it sounds like you're talking about some sort of 'load balancing' and/or redundancy. My understanding of LACP as we use it, is that it doesn't really give you "double the throughput" because certain traffic will be placed on certain links (given two links), but, it could be helpful anyways.

For our server using customers who like to use MS's Network Load Balancing, I run into two flavours of it. The first one, somehow both NICs assert the same MAC address, which causes Port Security to whine, or the switch to complain the MAC is flapping. The "Multicast" variety generally ends up as unknown unicast, flooding all over the place. For both of those, the solution seems to be to disable port-security and statically add the MAC to the table so the switch doesn't flood the traffic all over the place, and sends it to the right ports, but, on a distributed VLAN, this is a royal pain trying to stick that address up.

Am I missing something obvious here? I'm on the edge of recommending that we aren't going to try and support that sort of stuff since it's a pain but I don't really know anything about "NIC teaming" or what have you. Any pointers?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

As far as I know with the appropriate software, CME, the phones can talk to each other once it is configured, as it will do everything it needs to do internally.

If your phones are SCCP anyways.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Well, we already drank the Cisco Kool-Aid, so I have 8000+ sets running SCCP.

Converting them to SIP themselves seems pointless at this time.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

a world called z0r posted:

LMAO at EIGRP in 2012.

I bet. We are an OSPF shop but I am studying for my CCNP and have been playing around with EIGRP. From what it's telling me, load balancing is the benefit, but, much of these exams seem to assume you aren't blinging with the latest in gear, and you won't be doing VSS w/sLACP or vPC and would be load balancing that way on a small local core. Whatever.

Anyways, apparently the 6500 series chassis goes end of hardware support in about two months. Our core guys are up on that but I'm voice so SOP requires me to replace our 6509s and CMMs (lmao: 1 sup, 1 cmm, per 6509). I'm now specifying 2921 ISR G2s with VWIC3-4MFT-T1/E1s and PVM3-64/128's to handle DSP, so we can get out of the end-of-support black hole and move over to CUBE. I'm not sure if anyone is really doing this, but, that combination of stuff seems like it will be fine for our digital PRIs. The only thing that bothers me is that the Cisco doc says (at least the one we settled on as "correct") the 2921 will do 600 CUBE sessions. If I have 200+ DS0s active on that box, how does that impact the system performance, for concurrent usage of CUBE sessions and PRI-based PSTN calls? The CCIE that is putting together a build quote for us basically pasted the Cisco doc back in saying it does 600 sessions but I've learned the hard way not to trust their documentation much more than the paper goes when I try to throw it.

Any pointers?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Pvt. Public posted:

We're looking to replace our phone system (old NEC PBX) with a Cisco 2821 running CallManager Express that was pulled from another office. We've only got 12 users (23 total phones), so using CME isn't the issue. I need to know more about the phones I need to buy to complete the phone count and match current functionality. Right now we have 10 7945Gs and a 7937G. I think if we purchase 5 7965Gs, 5 7916s and 9 7945Gs I can equal the functionality we currently have (and have one spare 7965/7916 and 7945).

My question is thus: I know the 7945Gs will the fine for normal desk phones, but will the 7965s with the 7916 expansions be sufficient for operator/receptionist phones? The main functions these phones need to serve are to display all active user's desk phone line status (incall/dnd/offcall) on the expansion display (so they can see when someone is on the phone), field incoming calls on 4 lines, paging over intercom (phone speaker) and park calls to 4 hold extensions for pickup.

I think they will, but I don't know much about voice products so I'm out of my element here (hence calling the consulting places). If anyone can give me some pointers or more information/better models, I'm all ears. Thanks guys.

I can't speak for call manager express, but, yes, the 7965 with the 7916 sidecar will work for this. The 7915 is cheaper. It will display presence through BLF/SD, you can put intercom extension one of the lines, and maybe BLF/Call Park directed call park buttons on the sidecar but I haven't done that. With too many lines you'll have to page over, or add a second sidecar.

Note, intercom is separate from DNs.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

We should get a GPS time clock. I run Dimension4 on my XP laptop, and it kept popping up the other day with a message about wanting to go more than 4000 days into the past.

I just ignored that and the message was gone this morning.

Our time server must not have picked it up.

Anyway, I was typing a Cisco question and it got lost this morning.

I'm rolling out some ISR G2s to replace EoL CMMs to terminate our digital PRIs for our UC deployment. I have PVDM3s in these units which will flex DSP for my calls.

Presently we do all of our media res in software on the UCM nodes. I notice while configuring these things you can say xcode or conference but you have to lock the dsp credits to those functions. Is there any guide to planning these things, or metering our usage on software? Why put them in hardware if we don't have to? I don't get it.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I passed my CCNA Voice a back in May, and passed the CVOICE exam last week, so if you've got any questions, feel free to ask.

Since we don't have CME how big of a pain in the rear end is this going to be to pick up? The concepts should be the same minus paging and a couple of other things that CME does, but, given that CUE is EoL I think, that should be the worst of it?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I sort of come from an environment where we started with CallManager 4, where we'd "wing it" and it would be "all cool", so I've got a jumble of a dial plan, MGCP PRIs that we don't do anything to configure, and 7 digit extensions that use no translations or transformations. UCM8 is scary with the amount of things that are new over 6, and 9 adds even more.

I need to get up to speed before I get my rear end handed to me by yet another "feature" that appears at some point, so I will need to knuckle into the exams.

If that other fellow wants to just play with his phones, he could do asterisk and chan_sccp-b, or put sip firmware on the phones and URI dial each other (lol)

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

So with the Cisco SG300, I am trying to write a recovery procedure for non technical persons. IE, they won't know how to get the device on the network, they just want to get a hot-spare going.

I have RANCID backing up the configs, but the configs are a real mess. Some of the commands seem to be at the bottom of the config, that it wants before it parses the information at the top (but it doesn't really need to be at the top, doesn't functionally do anything).

Trying to get AAA setup on it, so I am throwing in "aaa authentication enable Console local" to use the local user, except local is not an option and it rejects the command. Local is clearly listed in the command guide, as well as in the backup configuration, but it's not available at the CLI?

Anyone ran into this or have any thoughts, orther than throwing these things into the incinerator?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

As far as I can tell it doesn't support TFTP Boot.

The issue is basically that somehow, you can put things into the configuration via the web interface, that you can't put into it with the CLI. When you try, it spits out an error and rejects the line. It also parses the "startup-config" when you copy to it, so you can't sneak it in somewhere.

The config file is a mess, anyways.

So far the login local statements are no good to be applied from the CLI, nor the login banner. As far as I can tell anyways as it stops trying to tell me what's wrong after about 10 lines worth.

But, it does let someone swap the device and get back online and running, we just have to get around to logging in with the default user name/password to the web interface, and then editing those items in by hand through there.

As someone here has said, it's the Cadillac of mini switches. But it's no enterprise gear.

e: as to the above, it is going into a space/cooling constrained cabinet, and needs PoE, so a large catalyst won't work. The cheap price tag is also very attractive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

bort posted:

Speaking of H-REAP/FlexConnect, does anyone have a problem where the remote APs will occasionally get the local controller's VLAN number for an SSID in their VLAN mappings? This is a problem that occurs maybe once every three months and has persisted through three version upgrades. I'm attacking it by running a weekly scheduled task on Prime to apply a template to the remote APs, but I'm wondering if it's a bug that's fixed after 7.0 somewhere. I'm pinned right now because of 4400 WLCs in my deployment.

We have about 40 or so APs on FlexConnect, but haven't had this happen.