Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

Filthy_McGreasy posted:

Here is a handy trick that you may not know about yet:

I use the password decrypter pretty much every day to get passwords out of old configs. I use the Boson utilities one. It's great for legacy crap where the original engineer is long gone and it wasn't in the password rotation.

code:

as1.x(config-line)#password ?
  0     Specifies an UNENCRYPTED password will follow
  7     Specifies a HIDDEN password will follow
  LINE  The UNENCRYPTED (cleartext) line password

as1.x(config)#enable secret ?
  0      Specifies an UNENCRYPTED password will follow
  5      Specifies an ENCRYPTED secret will follow
  LINE   The UNENCRYPTED (cleartext) 'enable' secret
  level  Set exec level password

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

Moey posted:

This. Networking is an endless pit of learning, just have to keep digging.

Throwing out a plug for Network Warrior. Great read.

http://www.amazon.com/Network-Warrior-Gary-A-Donahue/dp/1449387861

I enjoyed reading this after getting my CCNA. I saved the duplex chapter to educate anyone questioning why auto/half/full/no-negotiate matters.

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

wolrah posted:

Just to be clear, you're saying it matters in that it's good to know the symptoms of a failure to autonegotiate so you can identify and fix the problem, right?

Because if you're saying that manually setting those things when you're not forced to by something like a broken and unfixable/irreplaceable device at the far end is a good idea, I'd like to hear your thought process.

I'm glad it's been a few years since I've run in to an ISP that insisted on hardcoding the interfaces on their managed circuit hardware to 100/full or 1000/full.

Because it's good to know the symptoms and it's an easy thing to check when troubleshooting. I have had newer techs not understand why a mismatch would happen and the performance impact. We have customer that are still requesting 100/full.

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

Powercrazy posted:

Nope. Just shows the name of the filters. But no detail on what the filters are doing or where they are applied. I'm also not sure if the list is exhaustive. No "hit counts" either. This is an srx1600 I think. I'll check tomorrow.

I don't think juniper has a concept that sometimes you use an access list to mark "interesting traffic" for say a site-to-site vpn. Or possibly to restrict control-plane management. All are access lists. All should be displayed.

SRX firewall/nat/vpn information will be located under the security stanza.

show security policies detail
show security ike/ipsec security-associations detail
show security nat source/destination/static rule all
show configuration security ...

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

If you just want nice graphs checkout cacti. It's pretty easy to configure and add devices.

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

falz posted:

Don't do it, it will break your poo poo. Put the money into fatter pipes.

Seconded. It was part of an RFP we won. It's manipulating outbound traffic only which wasn't needed. Haven't noticed any improvements over some manual local preference settings. We have not used it for inbound manipulation - I just used some more specific announcements when it was a problem.

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

Sepist posted:

If anyone has the old arrowpoint load balancer (Cisco css) run "show groups", it has a similar easter egg

I once ran 'admin' command on one which autocompletes to 'admin-shutdown' and helpfully shuts down all interfaces with no prompting.

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It might depending on who's doing the hiring. I got the initial experience part in the helpdesk/MSP mines

Yes. NOC at MSP/ISP and then getting my CCNA got me the network engineer interview. Changed companies twice for the experience and new job salary boost. 10 years later I’m doing the degree for personal reasons and to be able to get into industries where it is sometimes a hard requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

Famethrowa posted:

That sounds like my jam. How hard is it to get into an ISP entry level?

It wasn’t too hard(but still always checking and sending resumes) to get into a small regional ISP with decent troubleshooting skills and doing some hard time at Best Buy. MSPs would be the place to be now as many have moved out of owning/leasing MAN and WAN. My dialup and DSL support skills also seem less in demand.