Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

H110Hawk posted:

Thanks for the info. :v: I had a nice long reply typed out and closed the tab. :downs:

The short summary is, as far as I can tell, the 6509 was shipped via a freight carrier or something. I'll have a look at it one of these days. We're happy to leave it sitting there forever.

I'll be certain to include all pertinent troubleshooting information. I didn't spend my time in technical support, or berating techs now that I'm a sysadmin, to go and make someone elses life hell. (Or waste my time with half-assed emails.) I'm not certain on the exact part that needs to be replaced, but I do know that 0x2142 was being ignored and my NVRAM contents were being loaded, which was corrupt. Fun times were had by all.

I just RMA'd a 6513. As the pallet weighed about 183 pounds according to Cisco, we had to arrange for a company called HAAS to come pick it up. I'm shocked that they're not on your rear end about this. I get a call on day 10 from them. They're pretty cool overall though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ray_ posted:

Awesome. It SHOULD work, I'm just nervous about pitching this much expensive equipment for the first time, heh. I appreciate all the help, guys.

Paul_Boz: it's Redwater Elementary School on an Indian reservation in Mississippi, I just found out. That'll be a lovely drive :/

Don't be nervous. That premium your paying is for something that is going to work and be reliable. If it doesn't you have many avenues of support. Sometimes when pitching a more expensive idea, I'll do a little presentation on how it will actually SAVE the school money in the long run, by spending a little more up front. Throw out some good buzz words like "Total Cost of Ownership" (TCO) and throw in some neat words like "vertically integrated wireless solution" and other random BS. You'll dazzle them.

Also I'm surprised no one has come up with the comedy option of "48 Linksys WRT54G's with DD-WRT" yet.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What would cause computers to take forever to get a DHCP address?

Win2k3 is handing out the DHCP addresses.

Cisco 6513 switch set into vlan's. It is configured with the appropriate ip helper address.

It can take 30 to 45 seconds to pull an address. Not really a huge issue, but one model of computers PXE rom times out before it can pull an address. I use a boot cd on those.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ninja Rope posted:

Is spanning tree enabled for that vlan/port/switch?

Seems to be.

Spanning tree enabled protocol ieee
Root ID Priority 32769
Address 0017.0f5f.6c80
This bridge is the root
Hello Time 2 sec Max Age 20 sec Forward Delay 15 sec

And then it lists all Vlans/ports under that.

tortilla_chip posted:

If it's a client port, enable portfast.

I'm not the network person, so here is the config for a random port

interface FastEthernet7/36
switchport
switchport access vlan 20
switchport mode access
no ip address

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jwh posted:

Although if you do portfast, you should also consider bpduguard.

From what I'm reading up, portfast shouldn't do too much harm, this thing just connects to 300+ workstations, but I'm sure it's desirable to avoid switch loops.

Can you change the time from 15 seconds to listen and 15 seconds to forward to maybe 10/10. That would give the pxe rom enough time to grab an IP.

failing that I might be able to talk the network admin into portfast and bpduguard.

Thanks for the help guys.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Here's a dumb question. Is there a way to blank out all the settings for a particular interface on a 2600 series?

I was messing around bringing up a lab t-1 and put a ton of wrong info on s0/0 so I just configured s0/1 and got it working, but all the wrong stuff is still on s0/0. Is there a way to just reset it to nothing/default without going in and typing in no <command>?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jwh posted:

Yerp- default int se0/0

Thanks. You rock!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Quick question about OSPF.

Is there a way to delete just one OSPF route/process instead of reloading the whole thing?

I'm not the network person, but we replaced a firewall today, and it wouldn't see it until we actually ran a clear ip ospf and let everything rebuild which caused a blip in connectivity.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jwh posted:

What wouldn't see the new firewall? The OSPF process on a neighboring router?

We switched from our normal netscreen 204 to our backup netscreen 204. cisco gear in question is a 6513 running IOS acting as a core router/switch.

We replaced each connection and the drat thing would work, couldn't ping the firewall interface or anything. It was strange, but I'm not the network person. I thought it might have something do with with the ARP cache but clearing that didn't help. The backup firewall originally had a different IP address when we configured it, we switched it to the same IP as the 1st one, but the OSPF route kept referencing the old .100 ip when it should have been .21. It was strange, clearing ospf was a last ditch thing, but it worked.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Can anyone tell me the difference between a WS-C3560X-48T-E and the WS-C3750X-48T-E besides the 3750's ability to stack? I'm looking for an iSCSI switch and can't find info about the switchfabric speed/blocking non blocking ports, etc. The 3750's are stupid expensive and if I can save a few bucks by going with a 3560 that would work too.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ragzilla posted:

You may want to look at 4948 if you can instead, unless the -X really improved the buffers, 3560/3750 are pretty abysmal for bursty traffic.

Hmmm... good idea. Cursory Google search shows the -X didn't improve the buffers.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Erkenntnis posted:

I don't actually work in the industry yet, only just got my CCENT/studying for the CCNA, but is there a problem with having a Cisco-only shop?

I'm a big believer in 'best tool for the job' and am generally wary of 'x-only' shops.

We use Cisco for routing and switching, Juniper for firewalls, Riverbed for WAN Accel and F5 for load balancing. Works for us.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We use /23's :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm not a network guy, I barely remember a little bit from school 12 or 13 years ago, but this is bad right?

code:
Package header rev 0 structure detected
Calculating SHA-1 hash...done
validate_package: SHA-1 hash:
        calculated 49032688:094f8561:2078cc73:19035272:d87fc327
        expected   00000000:00000000:00000000:00000000:00000000
SHA-1 hash doesn't match
boot: cannot determine first file name on device "bootflash:/"
It's an AT&T Managed router, guess who gets to sit around for the next few hours and wait for the tech?