Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
kazztin
Apr 28, 2007

Seriously...
I would love to cover my dormroom with some of these pics. Anyone know a good place to make posters cheap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Scum
Nov 23, 2002

I drink Scotch like Granpa. No rocks.
Requesting that this thread not be closed for at least a few more days. I desperately want to contribute, but I have finals today and tomorrow.

I plan on making something that I can turn around and print on 17x22" rag paper using a litho press.

neonbubble
Jul 12, 2002
Larger version of this (2000x1200 , 200k) is here

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

look_at_banner posted:

I really enjoy this, but "ununderstood?" Is that to fit the un theme? Sorry, English major here.

Definitely, it's the theme, it's the vibe, it's engrish. It works on levels, man!

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Why are we on page 17, and still no supersized version of the 5th Element one? I mean, the vector image is great in the meantime, but the little details bring it all together.

Please Jonathan Dramatica, save us. Bring us the Deluxe version. Or better yet, make it a buyable poster and put it on SAmart or something.
[/apologetic derail]

I screwed up when I was making it and only saved the .psd before adding the effects, and to make matters worse, my computer has decided that it will use any opportunity to open Photoshop to regurgitate numerous error messages. So for the time being, I don't have a way to make a bigger version. I'm hoping to try and reinstall PS this weekend, but until then I can't do much with it.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I just broke down crying.

EDIT: Manly crying. Manly. Yes.

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I just broke down crying.

EDIT: Manly crying. Manly. Yes.

I am okay with admitting that mine were wussy tears. Though they did cascade through my manly 'stache.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

I thought for a long time I just didn't have what it takes to make one of these, but with everyone's helpful hints and suggestions, I gave it the old college try.

Here's my contribution! (Homo-vision strictly tongue in cheek)

Kolchak
May 3, 2006

If I don't tell this story now, I don't think I ever will.
Apologies if my Italian doesn't make any sense, I just used an online translator...

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

quote:

Apologies if my Italian doesn't make any sense, I just used an online translator...

But WHY???

Kolchak
May 3, 2006

Seriously?

It's a fake foreign poster. A lot of grindhouse pictures only made money by selling the foreign rights and using flashier posters. I'm pretty sure it fits right in with our little theme here.

Kolchak fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 3, 2007

Lucien
May 2, 2007

check it out i'm a samurai ^_^
Did I do this right?

I thought I'd try it the other way around for a change. Sorry if that doesn't come across.
VVVVVVVVVVVV

Lucien fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 3, 2007

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

quote:

It's a fake foreign poster. A lot of grindhouse pictures only made money by selling the foreign rights and using flashier posters. I'm pretty sure it fits right in with our little theme here.

But is that the poster we would have seen advertising the grindhouse film? Maybe it's just me, but I tend to think of these as a very American thing -- other countries did their own thing.

quote:

Did I do this right?

I don't think so. Have you actually looked at the posters in this thread?

Kolchak
May 3, 2006

Exploitation was in no way a strictly American phenomenon. Perhaps the double-bill & drive-in culture was, but Germany, Sweden, Italy, France, they all had thriving exploitation industries, both imported & domestic. Obviously my poster would not have been used in America, but it's the kind of thing American producers would ship overseas with their films.

Hazelnut
Dec 4, 2006

Lucien posted:

My first 'shop, please be gentle. (Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai)

An excellent first photoshop. "Negro Samurai Killer" was a nice touch.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Kolchak posted:

I think it's really great, despite some people's short-sightedness. It looks awesome!

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 3, 2007

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Lucien posted:

Did I do this right?

I thought I'd try it the other way around for a change. Sorry if that doesn't come across.
VVVVVVVVVVVV

Kinda. It's not really grindhouse "BLOOD! GUTS! SEX!". It's more film noir. But you did make the movie look like something it's not, so that's cool. I like the quotes you have listed, like it's s dark look into suburban life.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Kolchak posted:

Exploitation was in no way a strictly American phenomenon. Perhaps the double-bill & drive-in culture was, but Germany, Sweden, Italy, France, they all had thriving exploitation industries, both imported & domestic. Obviously my poster would not have been used in America, but it's the kind of thing American producers would ship overseas with their films.

No kidding. If people think American exploitation movies were racy and violent, they should see Italian movies from the era. Cannibal Holocaust practically defies description.

Sunny Sixkiller
Mar 29, 2003

Some things are better left top secret.

Lucien posted:

Did I do this right?

VVVVVVVVVVVV

Hah, brilliant, I was waiting for someone to try this. Nicely done-- though you may want to get rid of the tattered corner to up the "classiness". Also, the Italian Raging Bull is genius. You people need to lighten up. Heaven forbid someone shake things up a bit with the theme.

spacemountain
Apr 10, 2003

The Raging Bull one is more in theme than a lot of the others, and it's also really well done.

Thackery Lambshead
Nov 3, 2005

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Kinda. It's not really grindhouse "BLOOD! GUTS! SEX!". It's more film noir. But you did make the movie look like something it's not, so that's cool. I like the quotes you have listed, like it's s dark look into suburban life.

The point is that he did the exact opposite that everyone else did in the thread by taking a crappy (although modern) film and making a really classy poster for it. Land of the Dead doesn't need a grindhouse poster, because the movie is in no way classy and there's no joke in making a "SEE Asia Argento survive in THE LAND OF THE DEAD!" tagline.

It's like taking Hostel and making it seem like a cultural exploration/coming-of-age documentary, which is funny. Taking Hostel and making it seem like it's full of blood, guts and sex, not so funny. Ruins the point since that's what the movie is about anyway.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Thackery Lambshead posted:

The point is that he did the exact opposite that everyone else did in the thread by taking a crappy (although modern) film and making a really classy poster for it. Land of the Dead doesn't need a grindhouse poster, because the movie is in no way classy and there's no joke in making a "SEE Asia Argento survive in THE LAND OF THE DEAD!" tagline.

It's like taking Hostel and making it seem like a cultural exploration/coming-of-age documentary, which is funny. Taking Hostel and making it seem like it's full of blood, guts and sex, not so funny. Ruins the point since that's what the movie is about anyway.

I hereby vote that this, the reverse concept, either gets its own thread or is allowed in this one.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Prettynickels
Mar 31, 2007
I like to marry things I find, I'm glad that I found you!

Steve Vader posted:

I hereby vote that this, the reverse concept, either gets its own thread or is allowed in this one.

I second that motion. I would love to see someone manage to class up Cannibal Holocaust.

Lucien
May 2, 2007

check it out i'm a samurai ^_^

Steve Vader posted:

I took the liberty to start a new thread titled Class up trashy movies. I'm not sure how much potential there is for this, but I'd love to see you guys prove me wrong!

Mithril Wolf
Oct 18, 2005

where mah glitchez at

Lucien posted:

My first 'shop, please be gentle.

I love this. The only thing I might change is the background.

Crown Royal
Jan 5, 2005

shoot her

neonbubble posted:

Larger version of this (2000x1200 , 200k) is here

I just watched this the other day. Nice job.

MoonageDaydream
Dec 22, 2006

www.poecide.com

Kolchak posted:

This is really fantastic. I'd buy a print of this as well.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Yeah, someone beat me to it.. here's my effort.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Innate
Feb 20, 2003

Lucien posted:

I took the liberty to start a new thread titled Class up trashy movies. I'm not sure how much potential there is for this, but I'd love to see you guys prove me wrong!

Thank you for doing this. It helped me kill a few hours.

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

Effingham posted:

While I wholeheartedly approve of seeing this poster and think that's awesome as hell, is Animal House a classy movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemountain
Apr 10, 2003

Serisothikos posted:

While I wholeheartedly approve of seeing this poster and think that's awesome as hell, is Animal House a classy movie?

I'd say you were about 18 pages too late to be worrying about that...