Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
I thought it might be interesting to try to describe vision to you by analogy with hearing. Both vision and hearing have three primary components: intensity, frequency, and direction. Frequency (colour) isn't actually that important for sight all things considered (at least compared to sound), and the directionality of sight is pretty similar to hearing except that you can only see the 180 degrees in front of you, so I'm going to focus on intensity for simplicity.

So, ignoring direction and frequency, the intensity of sounds you hear vs. time could be represented by a cartesian graph with axes of time and intensity, with the sound being a 1-D line. On the other hand, a graph of light intensity seen by a person at a given time would have to be represented by a 2-D surface, with the x and y axes representing position and the z axis representing intensity.

A clearer way might be to say that hearing compared to vision is like a speaker compared to a monitor. One creates/recieves a single complicated fluctuation of a value in time (i.e. the movement of the surface of the speaker/eardrum), the other is a 2-D array of many fluctuations (i.e. the individual pixels/rods and cones). This is why people can clearly see every object around them without getting confused, unlike if those objects were all making loud sounds - because thanks to the extra dimensions the values for each object are more sharply separated in the sense space rather than being all lumped on top of each other like sounds can be.

Well, I'm not sure if that was much use but at least it was interesting to think about.

edit: the other big difference of course is that objects only make sounds under certain circumstances, whereas most things "make images" all the time.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 22, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Greefus posted:

:colbert:

It's a smiley face guy (except he's not smiling and he kind of just has his mouth closed) with his arms folded all sarcastic like - I guess like Steven Colbert. It's a funny icon to use when you are sarcastically arguing, sarcastically being a jerk, or sarcastically sticking to your opinion on something, etc.
:v: is better for more of an "I'm joking" kind of thing. :rolleyes: is good for "mean" sarcasm and :colbert: is good for what you describe.

edit: :v: is a circle with two eyes and a wedge taken out on the side for a mouth. It's reminiscent of someone with a cheeky grin or similar. :colbert: has a kind of "well, hmmph to you too" feel to it, while :rolleyes: is more like "what an idiot".

edit2: having been blind from birth, do you actually make standard facial expressions given that you haven't seen them yourself?

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 24, 2007

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

FreshFeesh posted:

An interesting (to me) thought just crossed my mind -- the farther away or fainter a sound is, the harder it is to hear or perhaps identify. Very similarly with sight, the closer one is to ab object, the easier said object can be seen and described. Likewise, some elements are easier than others -- if something is very big (or very loud in the case of sound), it will be easier to discern at a distance.
If you were going to compare perspective to sound, I'd say a better analogy is that it's like how it's easier to assign a precise direction to a sound if it's further away. A close sound takes up more of your "auditory field" in a similar way to how a close object takes up more of your visual field. If something is right in your face it doesn't really have a direction other than "in front of me", but if it's a bit further away you can say it's forward and a little to the left, and a bit above or whatever.

As for the house drawing, the roof part is fine but if the small square to the right is supposed to be the main part of the house then it's too small and in the wrong place. It should be directly under the roof and almost the width of the triangle, with the rectangle of the door being inside the square and about half it's height. Your individual shapes are pretty accurate all things considered though.