Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Ender.uNF posted:

All those electronic eye devices under development? They're only useful for people who used to see but are now blind... (or kids who have them implanted early in life, eventually when the devices get better). People who are 20 and have never seen will not benefit from them.

I've often wondered what it would take to cure those people. Might it be possible to somehow stimulate the proper region of the brain into forming the necessary new connections? Would it be necessary to add new neurons via stem cell therapy? Or cybernetically link the brain to a symbiotic AI which would decode visual data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Now that the question of Braille keypads on drive-thru ATMs has been answered, how about vending machines? I've been seeing them since college, yet I've never seen anything which looked like it could give blind users any means of knowing what's behind the glass. What's up witrh that?

Fasheem posted:

I had to check out the ponies after this. They do! Little white booties! It's so cute. I don't think I would want one if I was blind though. They are much too unusual and adorable and would attract too much attention. HAY GUY CAN I PET YOUR HORSE PLEASE.

As I understand, they also require a good size yard to run around in when they're not on duty. Which can be a bit of a problem when you consider that the only parts of the US where one can easily get around without a car are major cities where a house with any significant backyard would be obscenely expensive.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

purity control posted:

That stuff is always fascinating to me. I find it amazing how many amazing things medical science has accomplished. Transplantation of limbs and organs, growing ears on mice, doing things on microscopic levels that weren't done a century ago. I guess I'm surprised that they can't just pop a whole new eyeball, nerve and all, into another person. Or would its failure be because the brain not ever being able to have processed sight before, it would be unable to do even with a new outlet?

I'm pretty sure the problem, regardless of when the recipient became blind, would be getting the optic nerve to heal properly.