Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
purity control
Jan 2, 2005

i look better in real life. seriously.

Caffeinated Sloth posted:

I had light perception at one point, but it faded over a period of a few years and is totally gone now.

Could you elaborate on this, please?

Also, on the money thing, I remember reading about some advocacy group wanting to alter the US currency into different sizes for blind people. What do you think about that? Will it be more helpful for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purity control
Jan 2, 2005

I've seen two blind people within the past couple of days, maneuvering downtown with just their cane. There is a lot of construction going around, so sidewalks end and there's generally a lot of confusion that makes getting around hard, even for sighted folk. How hard is it to move around if you're alone, in a congested area where the noises just all smash together? What is that like, if you had walked around without a guide dog? I saw a lady run across the street to help one of the guys, because he just looked absolutely flustered. I imagine that a lot of people don't have someone who would be willing to help all the time.

Also, Whompy since you're in here, can you use a laptop like normal? Do you have to take special precautions when you're handling a credit card? How often does the magnet interfere with normal things that you have to be cautious about?

purity control
Jan 2, 2005

Caffeinated Sloth posted:

I've read about it, but my understanding is that it only really works if your brain has processed visual feedback at some point in the past. My retinas didn't form due to prematurity.

That stuff is always fascinating to me. I find it amazing how many amazing things medical science has accomplished. Transplantation of limbs and organs, growing ears on mice, doing things on microscopic levels that weren't done a century ago. I guess I'm surprised that they can't just pop a whole new eyeball, nerve and all, into another person. Or would its failure be because the brain not ever being able to have processed sight before, it would be unable to do even with a new outlet?

purity control
Jan 2, 2005

HellsEmbrace posted:

I'm only on page 14, and trying to catch up little by little, so this might have been asked, but do you ever go on Wikipedia and just browse that in your spare time? At your rate of listening speed, it seems like you could devour web pages on all sorts of stuff really quickly, and just be a walking trivia book. Great thread, by the way.

This made me wonder.. Caffeinated, you "read" through your ears. Does that mean you can have a tendency to remember a lot better just by listening to people? Do you have a great memory for conversations and what people have said, because how you commit to memory is by listening?