Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Redbeard
May 12, 2005

by Fragmaster

AlbertGator posted:

Do you ever worry that you'll be kidnapped by rogue philosophers who are frustrated with theorizing about Molyneux's Problem?

Hah, the thought of rogue philosophers gave me this mornings first chuckle. For the unaware:

William Molyneux posted:

Dublin July. 7 88

A Problem Proposed to the Author of the Essai Philosophique concernant L'Entendement

A Man, being born blind, and having a Globe and a Cube, nigh of the same bignes, Committed into his Hands, and being taught or Told, which is Called the Globe, and which the Cube, so as easily to distinguish them by his Touch or Feeling; Then both being taken from Him, and Laid on a Table, Let us Suppose his Sight Restored to Him; Whether he Could, by his Sight, and before he touch them, know which is the Globe and which the Cube? Or Whether he Could know by his Sight, before he stretch'd out his Hand, whether he Could not Reach them, tho they were Removed 20 or 1000 feet from Him?

If the Learned and Ingenious Author of the Forementiond Treatise think this Problem Worth his Consideration and Answer, He may at any time Direct it to One that Much Esteems him, and is,

His Humble Servant
William Molyneux
High Ormonds Gate in Dublin. Ireland

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/molyneux-problem/

Wouldn't proprioception answer this (the sense of knowing where your limbs are)? I'd probably say 'yes' to both questions.

OP, three questions:

I guess you use a printer that creates Braille writing, but is there any way for you to write by hand?

I guess it is inevitable that blind or deaf people have certain careers and activities naturally prohibited to them, but have you at any time felt truly malignantly discriminated against?

Can you easily recognize a person by his sound signature - the way he breathes, walking rhythm, keyboard tap frequency - and thereby determine which known persons surround you? Are you easily distracted by noisy surroundings?

drat, that was four questions.

A fifth one: do you think we should label...unsavoury texts, like extracts from "Agony in pink" (unless you already know, do not look for this) "not work safe for the blind unless the volume is turned down"? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU