Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
sink
Sep 10, 2005

gerby gerb gerb in my mouf
Thank you for this incredibly insightful and enjoyable thread. I hope I don't ask or suggest anything unkind with these questions.

I am a programmer as well. I imagine (although this is just a guess) that your memory is trained exceptionally well to deal with stack state (the number of parantheses open and closed in a statement, for example) as you are presented with only one datum at a time (that is, only one word or character is read to you). Is this the case and do you find this to be true compared to other people? Do you prefer certain programming paradigms to others because of your different mental visualization abilities? For example, you said that you do a lot in SQL, a declarative language. Have you ever played with Forth?

You have provided very good descriptions of what interacting with JAWS is like. You touched on this earlier, but can you please describe how you interact with your programming development environment, or is it similar to how you interact with the forums? What editor or IDE do you use?

Do you find using Unixes sometimes more convenient to use because of the powerful command line capabilities?

Ever since I've been little, I have had dreams with little or no audio/visual component. Usually these involve following a line with intense composited and layered emotional components. Sometimes after a particularly long coding session, I will dream in code. I will be aware of the state of a program and the branches of execution that it follows but nothing will really be drawn in my head (sometimes this even sheds some insight on a problem!). Does this ever happen to you after working too much? I ask this because I've described this experience to other people, and nobody has described having no visual component to a dream.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

sink fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 5, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU