Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I've been trying to keep up with the thread, but I'm not sure if this has been covered or not. What do you do about paperwork? Like bills, bank statements, etc. Do you have it transcribed into braille or have you just found other ways to deal with them? It might be a problem if you get some letter or form in the mail from a place that didn't know you were blind.

I kind of wondered about this when I was stuffing envelopes for a mass mailing at work today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Caffeinated Sloth posted:

I'd be surprised if any of the places that send me bills know that I'm blind. They provide a service, I provide money, and that's that. Different people have different solutions for this problem. I use a scanner and OCR software to reade my mail--I figure that the only person who really needs to be reading my mail is me. This works for everything except handwritten things, and I don't know when the last time is that I got something like that.

I've discussed how I organize bills and track who's been paid a bit earlier in the thread.

Yeah, I didn't think until later that the braille idea would be a confidentaility problem for your mail and stuff. It sounds like there's some very cool technology out there to help you out. This thread has been quite a learning experience for me because I didn't know some of this stuff existed until now.