Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
There had better be some answers by the time I get up, or I'm gonna be irked. I'm especially curious about how you can quantify attraction when you can't see.

Edited and revised question; do you have a seeing-eye dog? Do you have pets of any kind?

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 20, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Caffeinated Sloth posted:

That said, I've always been interested in all the little things that I miss, so I'd find this pretty facinating. I've come across very few people who have the patience/interest for this type of description though.

You need to find a writer. I'm constantly trying to mentally describe things in words because it's great practice.

On a similar note, if you ever want descriptions of SA-forum visual jokes, send me an email. I'm frequently around gmail (pixelant3@gmail.com) and use MSN chat. A lot of people have bizarre or funny avatars on the forums. For example, did you know that yours is a slightly worried looking baby with "stupid newbie" and a question mark on it? Everyone has that one until they buy an avatar, or someone buys one for them.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Did you know that this thread has gone gold? Can you "see" the progression of a thread as people vote on it?

Also, to contribute a second description of your very spiffy new avatar. It's a section of the braille alphabet laid out with letters above the corresponding braile. The shot is on a slight angle, and it has a black border around it. It's quite attractive in an unpretentious kind of way, and doesn't have any custom text under it. Whoever chose it has good taste.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Also, hats off to Awful Yearbook, which is easier to use than I'd thought it would be.

What's the point of the Awful Yearbook if you can't use it to check out which goons are cute, fat, or neckbearded?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

My understanding is that you sort of roll them as if you're looking upward, then return to the normal position of looking ahead. I don't have enough control over the muscles to be able to do this--I can't actually tell in what direction I'm looking. I've tried to practice this with friends, because it would be neat to be able to do, but I can't get my eyes to roll on command.

:eng101: The trouble with eyerolling is that it's a very heavy-handed way of expressing irritation, disgust, or annoyance. It's very clearly an "oh god, you're a moron," expression. And if you get in the habit of using it, it's easy to slip and use it when it's inappropriate. If you aren't eyerolling in jest to a friend or family member, it's a big insult.

I sometimes roll my eyes at the antics I see in the hospital, either from patients or internal politics--but it's something you have to be subtle about. Ideally, it's privately exchanged between friends to express, "this situation is retarded," or "yup, I think this guy is a twit too" without using words. However, if the twit SEES you do it, they're likely to get upset, as it tends to indicate that you're feeling very dismissive towards them.

Needless to say, SA likes the eyerolling emoticon. Most of the forum is about pointing out the retardation of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Yes, and thank you. Is this a constant thing? That is, do all objects appear to shrink at the same rate based only on distance, or do other factors influence the change in how they appear?

Factors like flaws in your eyesight probably affect it. The amount of shrinkage is how we determine how far away things are. Because our eyes are set slightly apart, each gets a slightly different view. By putting the two together, we see depth. I realize this probably makes very little sense; I don't have any real education in opthamology, and would be happy to be corrected/clarified by someone more experienced.

However, this is why you'll never see a one-eyed person doing professional sports. They're hindered in their ability to perceive exactly where things are in space. It's a small thing when you're reaching for a cup of coffee--but a bit more important when there's a tennis ball flying towards your head.

I have very poor eyesight (even glasses don't bring me up to 20/20) and one eye is much weaker than the other. As a result, I utterly suck at things like ping-pong. My depth perception is weak enough that I have a hard time with things like walking down icy slopes. Its hard for me to tell how steep the next step is going to be, and it makes me very anxious.