Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

I'm not gay but my wiener is.
OMG! Beagles! They are such great dogs. My love for them has been recently rekindled by adopting a rescued beagle (Fern). It's incredible to see them working and living as a pack, doing what they were meant to do. Thank you so much for this thread.

I grew up around dogs also. My parents used to breed labs. Falling asleep in the puppy pile is an experience no kid should grow up without. It was also interesting to me that your uncle feeds his beagles a similar blend to what my parents fed our labs. And every puppy I've ever seen weaned has been fed the bread, milk and kibble slop. I guess dog nutrition is the same across the sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

Besides Anna, are there other dogs around besides the beagles? Is Anna strictly a pet or does she have a 'job' also?

Again, awesome thread and very educational. Thank you.

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

notsoape posted:

Anna is the only house dog at the moment; her only job is to see rodents off the premises (she takes this *very* seriously) and otherwise just be a very good girl (she is good at this). We used to have a big old sappy black lab named Florrie, but she died last year at 16 years of age :(. Prior to those two my Aunt and Uncle had another Glen of Imaal (Duster), and before Duster there was a white Italian Spinone (Polo) and a little scrappy terrier (Bramble). Bramble in particular saw the pack of beagles like a big litter of unruly puppies that she had to keep in line, it was amazing to see :).

It's interesting that your aunt and uncle have 'pet' dogs as well as the pack. My parents did the same thing when they were breeding labs. We had the breeders and then at least one 'pet'.

Queen of Roses, I've seen the oily and smelly hound coat before and I can confirm that most of that is due to nutrition. My current beagle just has a light waterproof gloss to her coat and rarely smells "houndy". On the other hand, I had a ex whose mother fed their bassets and dachshund nothing but crappy food and table scraps. Those were the most disgusting creatures I have ever seen/smelled/felt.

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

notsoape posted:

Speaking of achondroplasic breeds, I had a wonderful morning out with a working basset pack last season - they are so different to their show-bred counterparts! Members of the local show Basset group came out to join the field, and it was amazing to compare them to their working cousins. I didn't think to take photographs, but here is an example of a similar working pack.

Wow, the working bassets look so different than the pet/show bassets I've seen. How do they compare to the beagles as far as type of prey, tracking and speed?

Also your cairn is delightful! Does she ever get to visit the herd? How is the herd with outsider dogs?

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

I'm enjoying this thread so much I'd like to buy notsoape an avatar (with her permission, of course). I have little to no artistic skills so if someone can come up with a good one I'll buy it on Saturday (payday!). If I don't get any responses I'll attempt to come up with something myself.

So what do you think notsoape? Would you like a doggy avatar? Any preferences?

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

notsoape posted:

Wow, thankyou so much you guys! :blush:. Frenchypoo, if you want to buy me an avatar I would be so honoured - but, obviously, you don't have to! Both the icon of Acrobat (the puppy :3: ) and Twilight (!) are amazing - I couldn't possibly choose!

I agree. I like both the picture of the puppy and the portrait of Twilight. They are both very fitting since the timing of this thread coincided with Twilights whelping. I hope that there are a few other submissions before Saturday but that will only make picking the avatar more difficult.

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

Fern would also like to announce that we've voted this thread a "5".

MoCookies started it! :downs:

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 1, 2007

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

I hope you enjoy your new avatar (I flipped a coin and settled on Acrobat) and title. Just as we've enjoyed this thread! :glomp:

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

Honestly, I hadn't considered working Fern until I saw this thread. The only job my dogs have are cleaning up crumbs, keeping my spot on the couch warm and cheering me up. But now I'm thinking about getting Fern involved in something. I think her dachshund brothers can pick up her slack around the house.

P.S. Glad you like the avatar :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

Ah, the power of the biscuit. We use that at my house too. We also have the 'bad dog spray' (water+vinegar), and the megaphone. When they get going, the dachshunds and beagle are LOUD.

Congrats on getting through exams! Are you off for the summer? Where do you get to work with chimps?

That basset is so basset-y she looks like a caricature. No wonder she won.

Also, Fern being flirty:

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

EEEE! Puppies! I love when they are that little, I can just imagine their little swimmy motions and smelling all milky.

notsoape posted:

But no, to my surprise Unity came straight up to me, whimpering a little bit, and squeezed herself right in between me and the fence, with her head resting on my lap. I talked to her, and stroked her ear, and eventually she fell asleep - right in the midst of this nasty situation and all these horrible kids she felt safe and confident enough that she could fall asleep, just because she knew me and trusted that I wouldn't let anything bad happen to her. :3:. And you can't buy that sort of trust, honestly - it takes time and work and patience, and getting up early and scraping up barrowsfull of poo poo and working in the rain and when you're exhausted. But if you do it often enough, and patiently enough, and with enough love - that's when you earn your effort back, tenfold. Dogs never lie about love; and shy dogs never lie about trust. And, to me, it means the world :).

*sniff* that's beautiful, thank you. It made me get up and hug the rottweiler snoring at my feet (he was a skittish stray 4 months ago, now he's a moosh). He's my boss's dog, along with the 2 pit bulls who also sleep in my office.

Of course there are a few dogs that you really connect with and at some point they die. I'm sure it must be devastating, but how do you handle it? Does it ever turn into a sad fact of life, or are you heartbroken everytime?

I LOVE the idea of a beagle petting pen. It really is a win-win situation. The kids get educated and play with dogs; the dogs get socialized and play with the kids.

Now how'd these dachshunds sneak into a beagle thread?! Ladies and germs, introducing Jelly Bean and Spooky (the human is goon, Mr. Mailman).

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 12, 2007

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

Moraine Sedai posted:

The way you describe them, you make me feel like *I* know them myself. :D

I agree. This has been a delightful and educational thread. I even feel as if I know my own beagle better, after reading about the pack. I had no idea that dogs still lived this way and I truly hope that it continues.

Thank you for sharing with us!

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

Acrobat has grown up so handsome!

I was excited to see the color pictures of the hounds on parade. It was interesting to see how many were coupled. Also, I noticed that most of the pack is that light 'lemon' color. Is that intentional? It's nice to see a little more color variation with the new pups.

Blackthorn :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty
Dec 20, 2006

I worked with a dachshund rescue as a foster home for a few years and I've seen some interesting hierarchy/pack structures. They've been pretty loose so far. The only thing that has really stayed stable is me as the grand poobah and Jelly Bean as the highest dog. I've heard that dachshunds get along best with others of their same breed and, from what I've witnessed, I have to agree.

Bean came with two other rescued dogs and was overly protective of his "pack". He still goes out of his way to protect the other dogs from strangers and he and I occasionally have clashes. He is much happier since he doesn't have the responsibility of being alpha anymore (that's my job). And we're working on getting him to give up the last few issues that he has.

I've also noticed that the bitches seem to be on their own, sort of outside the male pack structure (I normally only have one female at a time).

The only dangerous hierarchy conflict I've had to deal with was between two male dogs. Max was unaltered when I got him and he kept getting into fights with one of the house dogs, Spooky. They would rip into each other regularly, with Spooky usually bearing the brunt of the aggression, he's quick but small. I noticed that the conflicts were usually about who was getting attention from me or over the bitch. They didn't really get worked up over toys or food. It was like a (bloody) contest almost, trying to one-up each other. Max ended up with a more suitable home.

The current structure is very calm and stable right now. I don't foster anymore and I had been looking for a bitch to round out the all-male crew for awhile. It was a priority for me to find a subordinate, calm female. Fern (the beagle) is a perfect match. Jelly Bean loves (ahem) larger women and Spooky is just happy to have someone to play with.

FrenchyPoo Fagnasty fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 10, 2007