Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

I mostly agree with you, but in terms of quality the Kaito/Degen 1103 is pretty good too. The user interface is just difficult to use. Most of the circuitry and guts are identical to the E5 (they're both manufactured by the same Degen factory in China). The E5 has the edge in terms of ease-of-use, though. BUT, if someone wants quality on the cheap the Kaito/Degen is just fine.

I can manage without ease-of-use, so the Kaito 1103 looks interesting. It looks like I could pick one up new for about $90, shipped-- are there any specific features that would warrant the extra cost of the E5, apart from user interface?

A few specs:
DUAL CONVERSION RECEIVER TECHNOLOGY
FM:76.0-108.0 MHz ( Step 10K/50K/100K Hz)
MW:522-1710 MHz ( Step 1K/9K/10K Hz)
SW:3.00-29.99 MHz (Step 1K/5K Hz)
268 MEMORY PRESETS ( Dynamic memory on 19 Pages)
Auto scan and memory (ATS), Start page preset
MANUAL TUNING/SCAN/PRESET/DIRECT ENTRY
SSB RECEIVER WITH FINE TUNING CONTROL
METER AND FREQUENCY CONVERT
SIGNAL STRENGTH INDICATOR
DX/LOCAL SELECT FOR SHORTWAVE RECEPTION
MONO / STEREO SELECTABLE
LINE OUT JACK
EXTERNAL ANTENNA JACK

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 7, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

For one thing, the Eton has about 3 times more memory slots for frequency storage.

What are those memory slots used for? Do you manually save frequencies, or are they used for autoscan?

I can't see myself needing more than 200 saved frequencies.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

The E5 has 700 programmable memory slots divided into "Pages" of 7 slots each which can be labeled with a 4 digit alphanumeric tag. You CAN use them for ATS (automatic tuning/storage) which automatically scans through all bands and frequencies and stores the strongest signals, but I prefer to just store them as I find them. Otherwise it would store a shitload of religious broadcasters.

Multiple Frequencies

Number Traffic enthusiasts

Thanks for clearing this up, I think I can manage with fewer slots and a notebook to write stuff down in.

Also, there's a TV antenna on my roof. I'm thinking I can connect the radio to the coaxial cable-- other radios get really good FM/AM reception off it.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Crackpipe posted:

Does anyone have the Conet 4 disc collection as a zip to download or torrent? The page linked has them as well over a 100 individual little files that have to be grabbed one at a time.

There's a Firefox extension called DownThemAll that may be helpful to you.

I normally use Opera, but I start Firefox when I want to download a bunch of linked files.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Stuntman Mike posted:

So I found this playing on 5741 at about 1:15 UTC.

192kbit mp3 recordings of shortwave radio :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

I'm having trouble seeing how a pirate shortwave station could operate for long (assuming the transmitter stays in a constant location)-- isn't it trivial to triangulate broadcast position?

• Locked thread