Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
I'm a ham too, but I really enjoy listening to shortwave more than anything else. Unfortunately I live in an apartment complex so my antenna options are really limited. I sometimes pickup radio habanna Cuba in the evenings, which I really love to listen to the shows and music they have on.

I have a cheapy shortwave and really want to upgrade to a nice set, but I'm probably hosed becuase of my apartment layout. I'm on the bottom floor, and it was a bitch and a half getting my directv dish setup there as it was. I'm sure they'd be pissed if I was trying to rig something else up there. Oh well, maybe some year I'll be able to have my own shack in California so I can plaster loving antennas everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
I usually use the loop that came with the stereo, but the signal improvement isn't usually very much. It still comes in with a lot of static. I tried putting some wiring on the outside area around my tiny patio but it was ripped out by the time I woke up the next day. I have no idea who/what ripped it out, probably some neighbors I guess. Maybe I'll pickup some more cabling and staple it to the balcony above me or something.

I think I'll pickup some wires this weekend and give it a shot again. I haven't looked at SW at my local ham radio outlet, but I believe they have some receivers there. I wouldn't mind upgrading my cheapy degen that I bought from Frys a while back.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
Hah, good old WB6NOA. Sometime I heard Gordo transmitting on one of the repeater nets I used to listen to.

I picked up a Sony 7600 at the Ham Radio Outlet on the way home from work today. The receiver I've been using hasn't aged too well so I figured I'd try this one out. Hoping RHC will come in clearer with my new setup. It's sad, but one of the main reasons I'm looking to move into a house is so I can drape antennas all over the loving place. :(

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

AstroZamboni posted:

How much did you spend on it? I can update the stats in the OP.

$160 for the sony receiver, and I noticed Gordo's updated General liscence book was out so I snagged that for $18 too. :)

Unfortunately with the new receiver and 50 foot of speaker cable, I'm still getting too much static to make most stations even listenable. I'm going to try snaking my cable up the side of my apartment complex this weekend. Hopefully I can make it hard to notice.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
I finally bought a home and moved in. I've been waiting for this time my entire life. Anyone have a suggestion on an outdoor antenna for shortwave that's fairly inexpensive? (the house is in California so I can't afford anything, anymore.)

So pumped to be able to mount antennas on my home. :D I'm also lightly into HAM but don't think I'll be able to afford much more than my handheld for the time being but I'll hopefully be that guy in the neighborhood with multiple antennas on the roof.

• Locked thread