Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I'm looking at the Degen DE1103, which is very hard to find. I assume the Kaito 1103 is the same thing, just rebranded? I can't afford to spend a lot on a receiver, but $80 from Amazon looks like a good deal, and from the reviews I've read it's a solid piece of equipment. Any SWers wanna weigh in on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Alright, it doesn't look like the E5 is worth the extra $70, especially on my budget, so it looks like I'll be picking up a Kaito. Thanks for the input!

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
If I only have budget enough for one, which book would you recommend I purchase?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Between WRTH, Passport, and whatever other book you think might be helpful. Also if you have any magazine or website suggestions to help get started, they'd be appreciated! Assume I have $30-40 to work with.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Sorry to keep asking dumb questions but I'm kind of excited now. If I were to buy a length of cheap insulated speaker wire and run it out my window along my gutters by my roof, would that be a pretty decent antenna?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
My radio came in today! I threw a 20-foot wire up on my roof, and have so far heard some a Chinese-language station, Radio Nacional de Venezuela, and a crapton of crazy preachers. Today they were talking about Jewish people, "ay-rabs," and B-12 complexes.

I've spent the last half hour or so switching around between Radio Vilnius, Chinese news, and whatever else I can find. Thanks for this thread!

I'll throw this in as an edit, to avoid crapping up this thread with my inanities. I have yet to find a single station that is improved by using SSB. It seems as though SSB just makes voices robotic and hard to understand, no matter how much I fine-tune.

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 12, 2007

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I guess I should have been more specific/less retarded. I knew SSB didn't improve AM broadcasts. Thanks for the clarification!

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

AstroZamboni posted:

Crazy Story #2:

The existence of this freaky station was independently verified by other goons during the last Number Station thread (which pushed me to stop lurking after five years and finally get a loving account).

On some nights, if you turn to 5915 kHz you can hear bird calls. The odd thing is it is only a short (five or six seconds) loop of bird calls repeated over and over and over for TWO FREAKIN' HOURS. It starts at the top of an hour, runs for two hours, shuts off. What is even weirder is that the bird calls are used to cover up an RTTY (radio teletype) or Databurst transmission in the lower sideband.

This is one of the spookier stations I've run across, and I haven't yet found an explanation for it.

Apologies for the poor quality, but would it happen to sound like this?

http://muddledones.com/Recording3.wav

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I just stumbled across it around 2235 today at 11800 khz. I listened for about 5 minutes or so and then it cut out and went to Cuban programming that I couldn't understand. I recorded it with my Pocket PC. I need some sort of line recorder for times like that.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I blew $89.90 on the Kaito KA1103 and antenna. Good thing my birthday was last week and I had a little (very little) bit of money to spend.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

4outof5 posted:

I was poking around a pawn shop today during lunch and there was a Grundig S350DL for 40 dollars, I said what the hell and got it. After getting home and starting to read reviews online it seems I got a really expensive AM radio that will never get anything interesting. Any rays of hope or are the negative reviews pretty much spot on?

Hey, no matter what a review says, just give it a spin and see what comes up. You may be surprised!

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Halah posted:

I just thought of something. I have the Gordon West General class upgrade study CD. One of the tracks discusses (with examples) the different pops and hisses you hear on the SW frequencies (lightning, electricity, flourescent bulbs, etc.) Would it be :filez: to share short examples of each sound? I'll ask a mod, it might be helpful to people new to the waves.

This would be very interesting to hear. I hope you can post them!

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
While part of me is disappointed that a lot of Chinese and Russian programming I pick up is most likely relayed from Canada, it's still pretty friggin cool to be able to hear them all. Gives one a whole new outlook on world events.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Fermata posted:

If you don't mind me asking what passport book?

The one mentioned near the bottom of the OP.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Most non-English stations I can hear are either Chinese or Spanish, with a large number of Spanish-speaking stations.

And I live in Upstate NY.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I really can't get my head around reading that map.

Edit: And just as I post that it makes total sense. Still hard to read though.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Danton posted:

I might consider the E5, I'll have to wait on the paycheck for this week and see how things go. The shipping on the DE1103 may be high enough to make it worth spending the extra few dollars on a better peice of kit.

I looked at the Degen 1103, but ended up getting the Kaito 1103, which is the same exact thing (and has a US power adaptor) and ended up being significantly cheaper.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I got back from 4 months in London last week, and am now ready to get back into listening. I'm still kicking myself for forgetting to bring my little Kaito along with me. I could have probably picked up some great stuff, especially when I was in Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania in October.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Well that right there makes me wish I hadn't dropped Ubuntu last week.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Here's a freeware Windows radiofax reader I found. I haven't tried it yet, but it installs and starts perfectly on my Vista install.

http://www.hffax.de/html/hauptteil_wxsat.htm

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

WaterHat posted:

Recently bought a Grundig G4000a for $30 at The Source. Did I do good?

Looks like it! Passport 2007 reports a $150 MSRP, and the only cons are the lack of tuning knob, slightly high battery consumption, and slightly below-average SSB reception. The pros vastly outweigh the cons, though. Enjoy it!

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

blugu64 posted:

In all probability they do, however over the years it would take to do that I'd rather pocket the difference and interest.

The government should subsidize these instead of digital TV boxes.

To end the derail, I haven't been using my 1103 nearly as much as I'd have liked to lately, and reception in my dorm is patchy at best, but I'll give it another shot this weekend!

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Yeah, English is quickly becoming the lingua franca of the world so it makes sense that most countries would broadcast in it.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I got back from college to find that the longwire I'd placed on the roof of my parents' house did not survive the winter. Looks like I'll have to find another way to listen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
My grandpa had a Transoceanic next to his bed for decades. He died a year or so ago--I wonder what happened to that radio..

• Locked thread