Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

How hard exactly is it to hear the Voice of Korea? North Korean propaganda is absolutely hilarious, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

im_sorry posted:

We haven't had any luck yet... apparently, if you send them a QSL, it's Crazy Propaganda Jackpot!!!! :w00t: And, if it gets intercepted by South Korea, you get anti-communist propaganda. You can't lose!!

What's a QSL? And where would I send it to? (and what's the frequency for Voice of Korea?)

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

I'm buying an E5 this Friday after I get paid! :argh: You people, making me spend money on kick rear end hobbies that I really am extremely interested in.

I'll let you all know how it works out once I get it and give it a spin!

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

hudibrastic posted:

Lots of Eton love here, which is great. But don't count out Sony, they've been making portable radios for 50 years. The 7600GR is a great radio and if you can find a ICF-2010 (produced from 1985-2003) at a good price, snatch it up. I've never used a 2010, but many guys swear that it's the best portable radio ever made.

Now please excuse me, I have to go try to trick the wife into letting me buy an E1XM...

:psyduck: So which do you suggest? The Sony or the Eton? I had a Grundig way way back in the day, but it wasn't that great. (It was rather inexpensive.)

I obviously don't want to spend $500 on an E1. (Although it does look rather hot.)

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

Between the higher-end sony portables and the Eton E5 (which is only around 150, unlike the E1) there are really more similarities than differences. It boils down to reading up on the features and prices and deciding which one works best for your needs.

What sucks is that I can't find these radios on Sony's webpage, unless I'm totally overlooking where. So, comparing them is nigh impossible.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

What should I do for an antenna? I live in an apartment, but it's an on-campus one, and I don't think housing would particularly like it if I strung wire everywhere and hit me with a potential fire hazard violation bs deal. Anything that could be nice and neat?

(I decided to go with the Eton E5, just because I can go down to the Circuit City and look at one hands on. But not until the weekend, because that's when I get paid!)

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

Oddly enough, Bed Bath and Beyond sometimes has good sales on Eton radios. Might be worth checking out.

Bed, Bath and Beyond? You have to be joking! Or is that part of the "Beyond" part?

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

I decided to hold off on getting the E5... and save up for an E1. I remember dicking around with shortwave when I was younger, and having a blast. Definitely a hobby I want to get seriously back into.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Almost have enough for an E1 :awesome: I can't wait!

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

Badass! Be sure to provide a thorough review!

You getting the straight up E1 or the souped up E1XM?

Just the straight up E1... I'd rather not pay MORE for XM radio, and then have to pay for a subscription, if that's how it works.

I'll try my best to write up a good review. And I'll borrow my friend's digital camera for lots of pictures of it.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

Actually, they cost exactly the same, 500 smackers. The E1 XM just gives you the option of adding XM at a later date.

Eh... XM really doesn't interest me... So it's just plain ol' vanilla E1 for me.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

You know, it's really hard to find an E1 anywhere on the net. (Amazon has it for $600 which is $100 more than what Eton even says it should be.)

I shall continue my hunt for the greater good!

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

Weird, I just checked and it was $499. Sharper image stores MIGHT carry them also.

Edit: Best Buy also carries them, but they only carry the XM version. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7749859&st=Shortwave&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1140394359129

You might also want to try Universal Radio. They have the E1XM, but they also have the Grundig G1, which is a rebranded E1 with a black exterior casing. It should be available withing a very short time, so you might want to call them and check.

Well, come next Friday, I think I will be plopping down $500 for the E1XM (even though I wont be using the XM radio features). drat you making me want to spend money on something so awesomely bad rear end. :argh: And lots of it too. (Money, that is.) :sigh:

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

MWUHAHAHHAHAHA!

This is what GBS is all about : Being inspired by an internet thread to take up new hobbies and wind up in the poorhouse.

As long as I'll have enough to pay for my internet and phone bills, food, and class on July 1st, it's all good.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

So I've got good news, and I've got bad news.

The good news is, my good friend is getting married and I helped him out with getting the ring. And he's going to pay me back.

The bad news is, that's going to delay me getting the E1, potentially.

I'm dying over here, guys. I'm loving envious of you all. :argh: I want to hear this stuff and explore the world of shortwave. :sigh:

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

I'm just posting a reminder that I haven't forgotten to get the E1. I've just been having a bit of monetary issues as of late.

It's still going to happen. And I'm going to lose $500. :cry:

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

I've decided to scale it back a bit and get an E5, just because 1) I am a poor college student and saving up $500 for an E1 is hard and 2) I just had a birthday and perfect excuse for a birthday present.

I still have my eyes set on an E1, it's just going to be a bit of a while before I get one. I'll give you all a comprehensive review of it once I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Finally, after months and months of worrying about bills and tuition, I finally have enough to buy an E1. I think I've finally found my Christmas/Graduation gift to myself. Will let you all know as soon as I grab one (which will be on Friday because that's payday!)

• Locked thread