Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Good timing! My shiny New SL350 Deluxe should be here tomorrow :)

Also I'm a ham, and found this thread via the A/V Ham thread

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

AstroZamboni posted:

In terms of sensitivity and audio quality, that is a drat fine radio. Lacks a few features like key entry and SSB, but makes up for it in solid quality.

WHen you get it be sure to let us know how it holds onto station positions. The earlier model S350 (non deluxe) tended to "drift" pretty badly. I'm curious to know how well the frequency lock feature works on the DL.

I'm planning on picking up a nicer HF Transceiver in the next month or so, so it's a stop gap radio as I'm feeling quite impatient. Also I scored it for $40 off of ebay :)

I grew up with a japanese market Sony SW radio (parents were in the military), which drifted better then those fancy cars do, so half of the reason I picked the 350 was because of the analog tuning.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 6, 2007

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

I also wouldn't be opposed to hearing stories from VHF/UHF scanners. Maybe this should just be the RF monitoring megathread?

I apologize for the double post, but didn't catch this until now.

Superman Strikes!
I enjoy listening to scanners, and usually find a nice busy frequency(s) to scan and listen to while I drift off into dreamland. One friday night I was listening to the South Dallas police (it's what all the cool kids do on friday night, right?) who were called over to a domestic disturbance at an apartment complex. Pretty run of the mill, until I hear the police say that the suspect ran out the front door and across the parking lot wearing nothing but a 'superman cape' and a kitchen knife. The apprehended the suspect,and sadly I didn't catch much more then that.

Police Scanners (and radios in general) Rock.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Dog Case posted:

Radio is awesome. I've got a couple shortwave receivers, a scanner, and another scanner on the way.
I've posted this in a few other threads, but I think it needs to come out again:

My Yaesu FRG-7 I found at a thrift store for $12.99. Works perfectly. Even came with the manual, schematics and warranty card!

This is the reason my fiance makes endless fun of me for religiously going to local thrift stores.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Videodrome posted:

When I had my first shortwave receiver 20 years ago I would stay up all night listening to international network broadcasts. I'd open up my copy of Passport to Work Band Radio and check out every station that was broadcasting to North America. I though it was the greatest thing in the world to listen to Voice of Russia, CRI, Deutsche Welle, etc.

A few months ago I got nostalgic for those good old days so I picked up an inexpensive Sangean portable and the 2007 edition of Passport hoping to relive the experience of listening to the world. After picking up a scratchy transmission from CRI that faded in and out I looked up their entry Passport to find a better frequency I noticed that the broadcaster's web address was listed.

http://www.chinabroadcast.cn/

I decided to check out the web site. Guess what they have? Live streaming audio of their shortwave broadcast! I started checking all of the big broadcasters and they all have streaming audio. Crystal clear, on demand, anywhere I have a computer and an internet connection (which is everywhere).

Everything worth listening to on shortwave radio can be listened to BETTER on the internet. I felt like I wasted $100, but I also realized just how much has changed. I'll keep the radio, though, just in case I am without power for a long time.

True, but that's not why I enjoy listening to radios. I enjoy tring to get that list little bit of static out of the signal, I enjoy twisting the VFO knob and watching numbers wiz by, and hearing birdies as I scan. Different strokes different folks I guess.

EDIT: OP you may want to include some links to a couple of the reference books to help people find stations.
I've got a copy of WRTH (http://www.wrth.com/) The other one that I know of is The Passport to World Band Radio (http://www.passband.com/). I'm sure you could find a year or two old copy for cheap at a used bookstore or Ham Swap meet.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 6, 2007

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Delivery McGee posted:

Art Bell's "Coast to Coast" radio show is also broadcast on shortwave. I picked it up once while looking for numbers stations on my little '70s battery-powered Longines Symphonette.

I also have an AM/SW Zenith radio made in 1940. The shortwave frequency numbers have little notes saying what country used them. The filter cap's dead, though, so all I can get on it is the sound of the electricity. No volume control, no tuning, just a loud-as-gently caress hum as soon as the tubes warm up. At least now I know what 60hz sounds like.

Any chance you know what station Coast to Coast is broadcast on (in shortwave). I've got a decent AM station here, but if it's possible to make Coast to Coast any cooler, it'd be shortwave.

Cacatua posted:

PROPAGANDA!
Awesome! I need to get me some Castro schwag!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Milka posted:

There's a small community of pirate shortwave broadcasters in the US. They can typically be found around 6925. Here's their main forums where they give each other listening reports - http://www.frn.net/vines/

Also, I have an Eton E10. Any thoughts on this radio? I've seen it for around $100 but I got it for $45 off Ebay

Thanks for the link! I'd been looking for something like that, as I really love listing to non-corporate radio, of which we've got a couple decent stations here in dallas.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Mapless posted:

Listening to these types of broadcasts while hiding in the stormhouse during a violent thunderstorm makes for an awesome night.

Except for the violent thunderstorm part I assume? ;)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

AstroZamboni

I'm trying to figure this out, and since you seem to be the radio expert in the room I'll ask you.
What is the difference between Kaito, Degen, and Eton/Grundig, Radios?
From what I can tell they all share designs and should be somewhat equivalent in performance, Truth or Humbug?

(Also I've noticed that the price can vary decently depending on the branding)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Hey can anyone help me figure out what I'm hearing on 15440-15445 khz at 23:00 UTC?
It sounds like an Asian language; mostly talking so I'm betting some kinda of news.

I'm checking WRTH, and I'll edit in what it is if I find it.

EDIT:
It appears to be "RADIO TAIWAN INTERNATIONAL".

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 8, 2007

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

stash posted:

Hey, thanks for the thread. Lots of good info here. I hadn't read about the Number Stations in awhile, and this got me all interested again. I decided it was about time to get a SW set since I've always wanted one, so I found the E5 on eBay for about 100 bucks and grabbed one. Seller is electronicrevolution and appears to have some more, along with positive feedback for this item. Price seemed pretty good since most places have it for MSRP. Anyhow, I look forward to picking up some foreign state-run radio stations.

I got into the FTA satellite thing a couple years ago, and that has been lots of fun - US viewers can get about 120 channels, mostly foreign programming but a lot of Jesus channels too. Lots of arabic channels and middle-eastern state news channels. Chinese drama and home shopping and live persian rug auction-by-phone. At about 1AM here you can get arabic morning cartoons, crazy poo poo. You can check out the channels available at https://www.lyngsat.com

Well, cheers! I hope to get my radio up soon and chime in on some of the crazy poo poo coming over the airwaves.

When I was a kid my dad had a 12' FTA dish; we got the SciFi channel back when it was free and they still ran Mission Impossible (the series), and Hawaii 5-0. Whenever I buy/build a house I'll probably try and get back into that.

As for state run radio stations; in a word they're awesome. I was out last night from 9-11 in a parking lot with my radio and the stereotypical 'huge spool of wire', and picked up Radio Thailand, Radio Havana, Voice of Russia, and CRI, and they all sounded great. CRI was playing a hour long music show that was pretty nice; and I found a Christian station that was playing some of the creepiest choral music you've ever heard. If you're anything like me you'll love the radio.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

stash posted:

These days you can get excellent FTA reception with just a lightweight 3ft dish and a cheapo receiver. You can get the whole shebang setup for about $100. For $200 you can get a motorized digitally-controlled dish mover and a better receiver, and you can pick up about 20 satellites from anywhere in the US where you can see the southern sky (not all sats have free programming). I was thinking about starting a FTA thread since this one inspired me a bit.

Requesting said thread...with link so I don't miss out on the FTA goodness!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Eurakarte posted:

Oh man, this thread inspired me to dig out my radio and rig my antenna back up to see if I could catch any numbers stations and I found one almost instantly. If anyone's interested, the Spanish numbers lady is on right now on 6855 kHz.

Havn't heard one in years; been hoping I'd hear one or someone would post one so I could tune it...Lesson learned spend more time with the radio;less time with the lady.

(joking of course)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Halah posted:

Edit: Out of curiosity, and possibly off topic, how many of you guys troll the medium wave (AM) band at night? I'm in South Carolina and I can usually pick up WHO in Des Moines at night. I've heard WBT (Charlotte) in central Ohio before, and they have a crazy nighttime directional signal (you can't hear it about 50 miles west of Charlotte at night.) I can grab WJR out of Detroit all the time.

Funny you mention that...the other night I was on US 281 between Dallas and San Antonio (near waco) and I heard that station from Des Moines.

EDIT:
I can just barely pick up 13630 Radio Japan from dallas with a crap $10 makeshift long speaker wire antenna. Also hi S350 buddie!

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 11, 2007

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

My radio came in today! I threw a 20-foot wire up on my roof, and have so far heard some a Chinese-language station, Radio Nacional de Venezuela, and a crapton of crazy preachers. Today they were talking about Jewish people, "ay-rabs," and B-12 complexes.

I've spent the last half hour or so switching around between Radio Vilnius, Chinese news, and whatever else I can find. Thanks for this thread!

Surf the dial just after sunset, and later on in the evenings. It's wonderful!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Dog Case posted:

SSB doesn't do anything to regular broadcasts, it allows you to hear SSB broadcasts. Sometimes they sound like the adults from Peanuts cartoons like Zamboni said, sometimes you can barely even tell they're there without using SSB. If your radio covers it, try tuning around 4MHz in the evening and you'll probably find some HAMs. Then switch SSB on and off and you'll see how it works.

Edit: :argh: Beaten while typing!

Speaking of which I tonight I heard a transmission in spanish on LSB, while morse code was flying by at a dizzying rate on USB.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Didn't get a chance to go outside and listen tonight. Though I did discover my apartment complex has a gazebo with power outlets and plenty of trees to wire up with my 75ft long wire.

Also over the weekend I bought this so I can tune in SSB, and use it as a transmitter when I get my general upgrade:

Can't wait to get it outside and try it out!

hoju22 posted:

I have a feeling this new obsession is going to burn a hole through my wallet and leave me with 3 and a half to 4 radios in various states of disrepair.

Get your favorite late night drink, a few radios, and Coast to Coast AM. You'll never have more fun in the middle of the night.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 13, 2007

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

Mobile SW reception from a car is...nigh impossible. I've tried, oh lord have I tried. Reception is tricky enough, and you tend to have to orient your radio and antenna in a way that it receives best and interference doesn't affect it as much.

Unfortunately, while driving in a car, not only are you constantly re-orienting the radio and antenna, you're also driving amongst people using FM transmitter iPod adapters which cause ungodly interference. Not so much on strong local stations, but while trying to DX they can throw off a lot of RF noise (which is entirely the point, I guess).

If anyone has found a way to successfully shortwave-ify a car, please chime in. I'd love to hear it.

I did some googling around and it turns out Sony made a few head units with shortwave reception in mind.
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/mtrevujun06.pdf

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 13, 2007

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

foobar posted:

Brand-new E5 user here, and I have 2 questions:

1. When I use SSB on this radio, is that the same as listening to USB and LSB? If so, how do I know which one I'm listening to?

2. If I string the wire antenna that came with the radio outside my windowframes, how do I ground it?

Thanks for the help! Really enjoying this thread.

Yes, SSB is referroing to using either the upper half of the wavelength (USB), or the lower half (LSB). I'm not familliar with the E5 enough to tell you how it tells you if you are using USB or LSB, but I'd assume it would say USB or LSB on the LCD, or the switch you use to select SSB mode.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

hudibrastic posted:

Now please excuse me, I have to go try to trick the wife into letting me buy an E1XM...

Good luck! I'd up-play the XM part (for picnics!) and downplay the 'shortwave' part. Unless of course you've got a cool wife :)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

You will enjoy many sleepless nights, and the days after these sleepless nights you will rue the day this thread came to be. Welcome to the party!

Jesus, can we get a roll call of everyone who bought a radio because they were inspired by this thread? Be sure to post what radio you bought and how much you spent on it. I want to add stats on monetary drain caused by this thread to the OP.

You should be asking for a commission ;)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Well my wire and antenna connectors and such ran me $10, I was already planning on buying my Yaesu (as in before this thread), and have been saving for it for a couple months, but if you want to count it it was $300.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

4outof5 posted:

I was poking around a pawn shop today during lunch and there was a Grundig S350DL for 40 dollars, I said what the hell and got it. After getting home and starting to read reviews online it seems I got a really expensive AM radio that will never get anything interesting. Any rays of hope or are the negative reviews pretty much spot on?

I ordered the S350DL online and paid $40. It got here and turned out to be a S350 (sans DL), you can pickup some decent stuff with it outside at night. Have fun with it, it was probably worth the $40.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

DarkSol posted:

What should I do for an antenna? I live in an apartment, but it's an on-campus one, and I don't think housing would particularly like it if I strung wire everywhere and hit me with a potential fire hazard violation bs deal. Anything that could be nice and neat?

(I decided to go with the Eton E5, just because I can go down to the Circuit City and look at one hands on. But not until the weekend, because that's when I get paid!)

I also live in an apartment. If you don't mind getting your nerd on, I just go outside to the pool area and tune up, that or the wire looped around a window trick works pretty well I hear.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Halah posted:

Holy hell, what's all that noise I'm hearing?!? Most of the time it's normal radio white noise, but shortwave is very prone to interference. Sometimes the interference can block a signal completely, and possibly frustrate a new listener. With the aid of Gordon West's ham CD's I can share some common noises and maybe help cure them (I got mod approval for this post.)

• This one applies more to hams operating HF mobile, but if you do happen to get shortwave working in your car, your alternator can cause problems, especially if it's going bad.

• Do you have flourescent lights in your vicinity? Turn them off while listening and you might solve this problem.

• This one is a thorn in my side here in the South. Lightning is a curse for listening all the way up into the AM band in the summer down here with our pop-up thunderstorms. Not much you can do there.

• Powerlines, especially the big ones up on those tall metal towers can cause reception issues. Moving away from them or wating for a rain to wash off the insulators may halp some of the issues.

• I've never run into this one, but refrigeration units on RV's can cause problems.

• Touch lamps, fans, even thermostats can cause interference. Unfortuneately, all you can do is turn things on and off to see what's the offending device.

In addition, locating your receiver near a monitor or TV will impair reception.

Exceedingly cool. Thanks! I've got a problem with my CFL lighting that I need to turn off all the time.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Halah posted:

Go right ahead. Earwicker told me to keep the samples under 45 seconds (OK, one is 46 seconds) so it's all cool. Edit: Do me a favor and use the edited post if you can. I had some horrendous spelling errors :)

Which CD was this? It sounds like it could be a pretty good resource.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

ValhallaSmith posted:

Anyone use the softrock40 rxtx or lite? It seems like a fairly decent setup for 30-60$. It is a SDR radio and has fairly decent support for most of the ham SDR software packages out there.

No but I'm intensely curious. Buy it and post about it?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Well guys I think we could have gotten ourself a pretty sweet aircraft carrier ;) Though a bunch of shortwave radios is pretty sweet too. Also I still havn't been able to pick up Africa yet. Perhaps this weekend. Anyone sent any QSL's yet? I've got some notes but I haven't sent any off yet.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

ValhallaSmith posted:

Probably.

The softrock basically captures the entire 40 meter, 80 meter or 160 meter bands. Sends that info out to your sound card and then filters that down into tunable channels. Also it lets you do things like this:
Thats a crap load of CW signals going on.

no no no.....that just sexy. $30-$40 eh? Is the software included?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Dog Case posted:

So I was out and about today, and, well, this happened again.

Found it at Value Village for $2.99 in the box with the case, manual, earbud headphones and rollup antenna. Sorry I'm not really adding much to your financial drain tally :shobon:

Go buy me one, I'll pay 3x plus shipping ;)

Edit:
5x + shipping :)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Dog Case posted:

Yep, it does. Value Village is a chain thrift store kind of thing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_Village

I'm calling the store in austin tomorrow and seeing if they have any....I'll bribe an employee if I have to.

Buy one for me at 7x? ;)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Well on my humble S350, I just picked up WHO 1040am out of Des Moines from my apartment in doors in Dallas Texas!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

EDIT: Dang Back Button,

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

SoundMonkey posted:

So, I managed to score myself an Eton E5. Is $120 CAD (like $105-$110 USD) a good price for one?

Also, is my plan to listen to it when I'm on the cruise ship flawed? I just realized that the cabin I'll be in has no windows, is on a lower deck, and behind a steel hull. It's pretty much a floating Faraday cage.

Pack some headphones and sit on the deck. Though being a cruise listening to the radio probably wouldn't be my main concern, but to each his own.

Comedy Option:
Use the Ships Hull as your Antenna.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

9700khz AM Radio Bulgaria is coming in very well in Dallas. I heard the program "Keyword Bulgaria", and let me tell you guys something; it's got the coolest theme song for a radio show /ever/.

Faux EDIT:
It starts around 1min into this stream. Note it was noticeably longer on air; and more awesome as my radio kept trying to drift away.
http://213.222.53.195/BNR.RadioBulgaria/Programi%20ot%20denia/Angliiska/6_Subota/Audio_eng_16_06_07.mp3

EDIT

Halah posted:

I'm currently listening to WOAI out of San Antonio...indoors in South Carolina :clint: Edit: I just realized that's a 'W' call in Texas. Add another one to the list!

I picked up Radio Sweden earlier tonight as well - sent them an online QSL.

Awesome! I used to listen to that station (1200AM WOAI) all the time when I lived in San Antonio. I can hear it /just/ enough to ID it inside my apartment in Dallas. You should see if you can hear 1040AM WHO out of Des Moines. I can usually pick them up here in Dallas; and they usually play odd stuff like crop reports and little league games.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 19, 2007

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

The sunspot cycle did me in. If memory serves me it should be improving a bit now, six months later - I think the cycle nadir was somewhere between Feb and April.

It's going going to get better from here :)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

Got Radio Havana last night, clear as a bell, just in time for the Cuban jazz program. Really cool, and nice reception considering I'm on the WEST coast of the US.

Radio Havana is a fun one to listen to. I enjoy listening to bits and pieces of their news hour. Do all of you guys have to wade though a sea of tejano, and spanish stations? I'm in Dallas so it would make sense to pick up mexican stations clearly; however for all I know they are coming from South America. (I should probably look them up)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

ValhallaSmith posted:

Well my softrock lite kit just showed up. I'm waiting for the soldering iron I ordered to arrive now (Metcal SP200). Would anyone like a little walk through on putting these things together?
Do you really have to ask :). I'm already pretty handy with a soldering iron; but a good project post is always a fun read.

FauxEDIT:
With lots of pretty pictures!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

SoundMonkey posted:

This leads me to believe that my issue is antenna placement. Would out on the balcony be loads better?

Turn off any other electronics you have, as they might be causing interference. Though I'd try running the antenna outside if you can do it discretely, or nobody cares.

Also just thought I'd also say I got Radio Bulgaria in English starting at 2:00 UTC at 9700khz decently well. Though a Asian language station at 9690 was interfering with it a bit tonight. I also picked up Voice of Russia in English quite well on 9860khz at 2:20 UTC, should be an easy QSL for anyone interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Mike B posted:

Shortwave is fun. Sometimes I like to imagine those insane preachers holed up in their dark and musty basements, surrounded by garbage and lit only by a single hanging bulb. He leans over his desk, eyes wild and sweat straining down his brow, dripping onto his battered bible as he barks it's words into the void in the dead of the night...

Dude...not cool...I try and keep those visuals out of my head. (Yes you're right though)

• Locked thread