Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

no new USAO since Rootage unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Yeah, Konami quietly cut ties with Hardcore Tano*C after they went and released Wacca. They might come back if/when Wacca ends but don't expect them back until IIDX 35 Lawnmower at the earliest.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Is auto timing adjust on new fancy IIDX good? I don't notice a difference but I haven't played in 3 years.

My e-amuse card worked after 4 years but didn't have any FHS settings.

I can't pass April Fool's or 100 sec. Cooking anymore on Pop'N :(.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

leather fedora posted:

Yeah, Konami quietly cut ties with Hardcore Tano*C after they went and released Wacca. They might come back if/when Wacca ends but don't expect them back until IIDX 35 Lawnmower at the earliest.

i never drew that connection before. that sucks

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Dropped wife at airport, went to R1 and played IIDX/Pop'N for the first time in a few years...

E-Amuse and my expired Club Card still worked, no options were saved on E-A and I still had ~50 credits on my black card which said "expires in 2020" on it which was nice.

Walked in, immediately went to my old machine to check the cards, and played a game or two. I had to Google how to turn on FHS again and was Good Attacking for a little bit. Went to get a beer + smoke before really getting into it, when I come back I notice there are three (!!) IIDX machines. I'm probably responsible for this, when they first opened I would come solo and pump credits into IIDX nonstop and they might have got some misleading data on it being "the most popular game" from that.

Then I notice that one of the three cabinets has a light show attached to it! And a R1 security guard who is sitting on top of the controls taking a break lol. After politely asking the man to move I enjoyed a lightning cab for the first time. I forgot these were a thing.

The high resolution and the sound system on the Lightning cabinets is incredible, with the EQ ONLY pumped that poo poo was going nuts. The CastHour song select music is awesome. It was hard to not play old songs over and over again, the touchscreen "Most Popular" section helped me get some CastHour tunes in that I probably would not have tried from regular music select. The cameras weren't aligned correctly, but that feature always sounds cool until I turn it on and see my ugly face anyway. Why would I want to miss any of the amazing videos?

Is there anything else cool on the touchscreen? I only used it for "Most Popular" and to crank the EQ.

FHS is so nice, not that I have a "perfect" green number or anything but just having everything scroll at the same speed is a nice luxury.I turned on "Auto Timing adjust" because I definitely wasn't playing the late/early manual adjustment game with only a few hours of playtime.

The biggest shock, however - there were OTHER PEOPLE there! I haven't been to this location since it first opened. Some guy was getting his workout on the DDR machine and we chuckled at a bunch of dudes swipe a credit into Gitadora and then walk away when they couldn't figure out the menus. There were OTHER SCORES on the IIDX MACHINE (?!?!?!?!?). I took some guy's #1 spot on one of the "most popular" J-Pop CastHour songs by one point.

It was pretty funny to go deep into the old songs, and then at the score result screen see how many other people cleared it. SigSig had like 8+ scores on it. Is there a menu option to search by # of high scores? It would be cool to go back Monday and focus on clearing the new folders + beating these weak high scores set by zoomer college kids.

I also played Pop'N (it was set to FIVE songs!) but the allure of the lightning cabinet was too much. I still think Pop'N is a more ergonomic and fun game, but once I got used to the volume level of IIDX LIGHTNING I couldn't go back over to the tiny Pop'N machine.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

watho posted:

i never drew that connection before. that sucks
Konami is infamous for cutting out independent artists who are deemed to be unloyal and not popular enough to be a real draw. They've softened on that stance since a lot more games were released and drew from the same pool of musicians (which is how SDVX darling BlackY got away with releasing boss songs for Sega's stable) but Wacca was too big to let slide, apparently.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Elephunk posted:

Dropped wife at airport, went to R1 and played IIDX/Pop'N for the first time in a few years...

E-Amuse and my expired Club Card still worked, no options were saved on E-A and I still had ~50 credits on my black card which said "expires in 2020" on it which was nice.

Walked in, immediately went to my old machine to check the cards, and played a game or two. I had to Google how to turn on FHS again and was Good Attacking for a little bit. Went to get a beer + smoke before really getting into it, when I come back I notice there are three (!!) IIDX machines. I'm probably responsible for this, when they first opened I would come solo and pump credits into IIDX nonstop and they might have got some misleading data on it being "the most popular game" from that.

Then I notice that one of the three cabinets has a light show attached to it! And a R1 security guard who is sitting on top of the controls taking a break lol. After politely asking the man to move I enjoyed a lightning cab for the first time. I forgot these were a thing.

The high resolution and the sound system on the Lightning cabinets is incredible, with the EQ ONLY pumped that poo poo was going nuts. The CastHour song select music is awesome. It was hard to not play old songs over and over again, the touchscreen "Most Popular" section helped me get some CastHour tunes in that I probably would not have tried from regular music select. The cameras weren't aligned correctly, but that feature always sounds cool until I turn it on and see my ugly face anyway. Why would I want to miss any of the amazing videos?

Is there anything else cool on the touchscreen? I only used it for "Most Popular" and to crank the EQ.

FHS is so nice, not that I have a "perfect" green number or anything but just having everything scroll at the same speed is a nice luxury.I turned on "Auto Timing adjust" because I definitely wasn't playing the late/early manual adjustment game with only a few hours of playtime.

The biggest shock, however - there were OTHER PEOPLE there! I haven't been to this location since it first opened. Some guy was getting his workout on the DDR machine and we chuckled at a bunch of dudes swipe a credit into Gitadora and then walk away when they couldn't figure out the menus. There were OTHER SCORES on the IIDX MACHINE (?!?!?!?!?). I took some guy's #1 spot on one of the "most popular" J-Pop CastHour songs by one point.

It was pretty funny to go deep into the old songs, and then at the score result screen see how many other people cleared it. SigSig had like 8+ scores on it. Is there a menu option to search by # of high scores? It would be cool to go back Monday and focus on clearing the new folders + beating these weak high scores set by zoomer college kids.

I also played Pop'N (it was set to FIVE songs!) but the allure of the lightning cabinet was too much. I still think Pop'N is a more ergonomic and fun game, but once I got used to the volume level of IIDX LIGHTNING I couldn't go back over to the tiny Pop'N machine.

The Lightning cab is amazing. I really enjoyed my time on it last year when Bistrover was current. I'm hoping to visit a Round 1 in the next month or so and get my lamps moved over to CastHour before they get wiped.

A friend of mine recently gave me an old-rear end plasma TV from 2006-2007 which supports 1080p. I might be able to do dumb poo poo with it, including Bemani. Assuming it works and doesn't have bad display lag. We'll see.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Besides mounting, any decent solutions for making a TV eye height for playing DDR?

Edit: found what I was looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/Tilting-Adjustable-600%C3%97400mm-Rolling-Supports/dp/B08F1ZC9BF

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 17, 2022

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

dumb question, is there a way to show your ranking at the store for a song without paying for whatever the premium iidx option is? or does that go away when i select 'tatsujin battle' from the option menu? i swear i had it before but i changed something and now i don't get it again.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Harriet Carker posted:

Besides mounting, any decent solutions for making a TV eye height for playing DDR?

Edit: found what I was looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/Tilting-Adjustable-600%C3%97400mm-Rolling-Supports/dp/B08F1ZC9BF
Yeah I have a thing like this and it works fine.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

leather fedora posted:

Konami is infamous for cutting out independent artists who are deemed to be unloyal and not popular enough to be a real draw. They've softened on that stance since a lot more games were released and drew from the same pool of musicians (which is how SDVX darling BlackY got away with releasing boss songs for Sega's stable) but Wacca was too big to let slide, apparently.

i was talking to a friend about this yesterday and it’s fascinating how a lot of people brought on in heroic verse and beyond has been sort of replacements of hardcore tano*c people. yuta imai being a replacement for massive new krew is the most obvious one

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

The setup is nearly complete. I ordered another row of rubber flooring because I’m a bit too close to the TV. But this is basically now the DDR setup I’ve been dreaming of since I was a teenager. Doubles is hard!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So I've fallen down a rabbit hole in the last few days where I stumbled onto some rhythm game youtube vids, was like "oh, I haven't played a rhythm game in ages, I should give one a spin", played Taiko no Tatsujin since it was on GamePass and loved it even just bashing away at my keyboard, then managed to find a local arcade near me that has a Taiko no Tatsujin cabinet and a Banapassport kiosk. (They've also got a DDR A20+ machine but DDR hasn't ever really been my thing).

Still very early days of dipping my toes in but it's close enough that I can see myself travelling out once ever week or two to sink some hours into the arcade version!
Maybe I'll pick up one of the Hori tatacons for the Switch version in the meantime.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Mode 7 posted:

So I've fallen down a rabbit hole in the last few days where I stumbled onto some rhythm game youtube vids, was like "oh, I haven't played a rhythm game in ages, I should give one a spin", played Taiko no Tatsujin since it was on GamePass and loved it even just bashing away at my keyboard, then managed to find a local arcade near me that has a Taiko no Tatsujin cabinet and a Banapassport kiosk. (They've also got a DDR A20+ machine but DDR hasn't ever really been my thing).

Still very early days of dipping my toes in but it's close enough that I can see myself travelling out once ever week or two to sink some hours into the arcade version!
Maybe I'll pick up one of the Hori tatacons for the Switch version in the meantime.

:getin:

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Taiko is really fun I had the crappy plastic PS2 controller back in the day.

What's that special hand position in IIDX called with three fingers on keys 1-3 and four fingers on 4-7 and you never shift them? I think that's the only way I can improve at the point, relearning like that from the ground up. I at least wanna try as I keep working through all the new 6/7s I missed in recent mixes.

What makes a lightning cabinet track different? HD audio and video I guess? I didn't really notice anything. I was kind of expecting the light show to sync up or something, lol. That Smooch remix from bistrover SLAPS

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Elephunk posted:

Is auto timing adjust on new fancy IIDX good? I don't notice a difference but I haven't played in 3 years.

I'm definitely liking it :) On older versions I've scored two AAs ever, and both on songs I've played the poo poo out of.

Elephunk posted:

What's that special hand position in IIDX called with three fingers on keys 1-3 and four fingers on 4-7 and you never shift them?

I think you're referring to 1048 which is how I've been playing since I started getting back into it, although it's actually getting out of the mindset of never shifting them that finally allowed me to start squeaking past 8s. Some chords like tt+1+3, tt+2 or some scratch heavy patterns are just impossible for me to do staying in that position, but after allowing myself to shift around a bit those once impossible bits became relatively simple. At least for me, it's less about never shifting and more about being able to pop right back into that position solely off of muscle memory without having to think about it.

Elephunk posted:

What makes a lightning cabinet track different?

Aside from obvious stuff like the touch screen and physical differences, the biggest thing is that the refresh rate on the display is double that of the vanilla cabs (120 vs 60hz). The video itself still outputs at good old 720p. This may or may not be how I justified getting a brand new LG C1 TV for myself.

EDIT: Misread your question. There's no real difference between a Lightning Model track and any other track aside from only being playable on the newer TDJ cabs - the folder isn't available on an older style LDJ cab. I also like how the cabinet code for the lightning cabs is the one that doesn't begin with L.

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 21, 2022

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

baby puzzle posted:

I've got a new DLC for SEQUENCE STORM with 10 new tracks.
Congrats on the callout in this video about accessibility in indie games!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiCsvZZh5-k

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I stopped DDRing for several weeks since we were in the process of moving so all my energy was going to that. Got back into it and de-rusted; now I'm back up to clearing 15s. I also bought new walking/DDR sneakers since my old ones were disintegrating, so I had to break those in.

Does anyone know any good exercises and stretches for heavier DDR play? I have a lot of issues with just running out of gas in my arms of all things when I'm playing hard and holding the bar. I think my form is okay and I'm not wasting foot movement as far as I can tell. I think having more flexibility will help overall.

Harriet Carker posted:

The setup is nearly complete. I ordered another row of rubber flooring because I’m a bit too close to the TV. But this is basically now the DDR setup I’ve been dreaming of since I was a teenager. Doubles is hard!

Nice, what pads are those? I know I've seen them around.

The ultimate dream for me is buying an official cabinet with the pads on the cheap and then fixing it up myself. Can't really do that until I actually live in a house, though, and uhh. :v:

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 22, 2022

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

Does anyone know any good exercises and stretches for heavier DDR play? I have a lot of issues with just running out of gas in my arms of all things when I'm playing hard and holding the bar. I think my form is okay and I'm not wasting foot movement as far as I can tell. I think having more flexibility will help overall.

You can use any decent stretching routine for general fitness/running/lifting. I recommend the Limber 11 (plenty of instructional videos floating around). You'll need a foam roller, which I highly recommend if you don't already have one.

DizzyBum posted:

Nice, what pads are those? I know I've seen them around.

Those are L-Tek Ex Pro 2 pads. I got my first in January and my second a few weeks ago - they are incredible. I like them even more than my Cobalt Flux I had back in the day. Fantastic sensitivity, built like a tank. Pricey, but worth it.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

leather fedora posted:

Looks like it could be sooner than that, sorry to all the Wacca players out there

https://info-wacca.marv.jp/article/15683 posted:

Thank you for always enjoying "WACCA".

We have decided to terminate the online service of "WACCA" on August 31, 2022.
We would like to express our deep gratitude to everyone who has patronized us on a regular basis.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
My game SEQUENCE STORM is having a two week event based on the racing mode during the Steam summer sale.

All DLC tracks are available in the race event for free. The game is free to play so come play the tutorials and then jump in.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/630640/SEQUENCE_STORM/

https://twitter.com/sequence_storm/status/1540024271254171649?s=21&t=hOBY8B0oxqnQKRNQ9UNUNw

baby puzzle fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 24, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
SEQUENCE STORM is a really freaking good rhythm game; I strongly endorse it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Harriet Carker posted:

You can use any decent stretching routine for general fitness/running/lifting. I recommend the Limber 11 (plenty of instructional videos floating around). You'll need a foam roller, which I highly recommend if you don't already have one.

Cool, thanks! I got a foam roller a while ago and I figured it would be good for general health stuff as I get older.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

baby puzzle posted:

My game SEQUENCE STORM is having a two week event based on the racing mode during the Steam summer sale.

All DLC tracks are available in the race event for free. The game is free to play so come play the tutorials and then jump in.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/630640/SEQUENCE_STORM/

https://twitter.com/sequence_storm/status/1540024271254171649?s=21&t=hOBY8B0oxqnQKRNQ9UNUNw

Sequence Storm is real cool and fun but I don't know how I feel about the racing portion. Is there a way to unlock all the songs in arcade mode without doing all the missions?

Either way, I bought all the DLC because the songs are great and the actual rhythm gameplay is dope. Great work!!

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

infinite99 posted:

Sequence Storm is real cool and fun but I don't know how I feel about the racing portion. Is there a way to unlock all the songs in arcade mode without doing all the missions?

Either way, I bought all the DLC because the songs are great and the actual rhythm gameplay is dope. Great work!!

I think it has been on my list to make all the DLC tracks not need unlocking for a while now. I'll try to get to it soon.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

baby puzzle posted:

I think it has been on my list to make all the DLC tracks not need unlocking for a while now. I'll try to get to it soon.

No rush! I just thought there might be an easier way. I'm sure I'll get through the missions eventually but I always seem to fall behind so much. Whenever I boost I end up hitting a wall during the slightest turn so I must be doing something wrong there. Using hyper drift when I know a corner is coming up helps but then I end up losing all my boost. I'm still getting used to the rhythm gameplay itself so I'm sure that's not helping things haha.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

infinite99 posted:

No rush! I just thought there might be an easier way. I'm sure I'll get through the missions eventually but I always seem to fall behind so much. Whenever I boost I end up hitting a wall during the slightest turn so I must be doing something wrong there. Using hyper drift when I know a corner is coming up helps but then I end up losing all my boost. I'm still getting used to the rhythm gameplay itself so I'm sure that's not helping things haha.

There's a lot of muscle memorization of the track layout involved to know when to use hyper. Either for turns or for dense patterns. Boost is really only optimal when you can draft behind somebody on straight track.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
Impulse bought Taiko on Switch and love it. How bad are the third party drums? I am eyeing some but the Hori ones are so expensive and I could get a pair of the cheap ones for co-op for the same price.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Beffica posted:

Impulse bought Taiko on Switch and love it. How bad are the third party drums? I am eyeing some but the Hori ones are so expensive and I could get a pair of the cheap ones for co-op for the same price.

Most third party controllers are bad but some are very good.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth

inferis posted:

Most third party controllers are bad but some are very good.
:signings: With prices like that, I might as well move to a city with an arcade. I kept seeing that one pop up in YouTube uploads and Twitch streams but it never came up when I searched Amazon and eBay for controllers and that explains why. Suppose I'll have to save up and get a Hori :retrogames:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Someone told me to try coming here to talk about Pump it Up! It's a very big passion of mine:

I do play at Arcades once a month to help me stay in shape. But I also play this game at home using the SteppXX modification. It works exactly the same. BGA and all.

Currently the best song I can perform is legally an S23. I have only beaten S25s on custom packs that are graded "Approperately'. Whatever that means.

Edit- :siren: You may want to turn down the volume near the end on some because I pop off a little.

Louder S25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eED-sak3ag

Re; End of a Dream S23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpK3LkYcVtw

Ultimatum S23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn19E6KFASA

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 15, 2022

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I’ve been playing PIU a bit more lately because my local DDR cab is in dire condition and it’s actually extremely enjoyable once you use the full mode code (it’s a Fiesta 2 cab and the default list doesn’t have much going for it). The 5 panel set up allows for some fun movement around the pad. Don’t think I’d ever leave DDR behind for it, but I’m seeing the appeal more and more.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

holefoods posted:

I’ve been playing PIU a bit more lately because my local DDR cab is in dire condition and it’s actually extremely enjoyable once you use the full mode code (it’s a Fiesta 2 cab and the default list doesn’t have much going for it). The 5 panel set up allows for some fun movement around the pad. Don’t think I’d ever leave DDR behind for it, but I’m seeing the appeal more and more.

It's a fun journey to go on and it will work you out. Let me know how you are doing.

Edit- Done some tonight.

Heart Rabbit Coaster S23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLfpnEiH5B4

PARADOXX S24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gInmwCwW7P4

The Glorious Octagon Of Destiny S22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSu9DKkWC_U

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 15, 2022

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Is there an easy way to get mp3s from Apple Music or Youtube or something else to make simfiles for personal use?

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Harriet Carker posted:

Is there an easy way to get mp3s from Apple Music or Youtube or something else to make simfiles for personal use?

You can use JDownloader for YouTube (it looks sketchy but works great), no idea about Apple Music though - iTunes Store purchases have no DRM but I have to imagine Apple Music does.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I have beaten my first legal S24 on Pump it Up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL451rCP8sY

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Harriet Carker posted:

If you just search "youtube mp3 downloader" there's a bajillion websites (and probably chrome/firefox plugins) that'll do this. They're vaguely shady looking but I haven't run into any real issues so far. Maybe use a VPN if you're very concerned.

With most website videos there's a way to also use Chrome dev tools to just find the video URL yourself and save it (open dev tools, click "network" at the top, refresh page, sort by size, right-click the big one -> Copy -> Copy link address). But that doesn't work for youtube, looks like they chunk their videos in a way that breaks this flow.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 21, 2022

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
If you can use a command line, the easiest way by far for youtube stuff is yt-dlp.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
We have a PIU cab at my office. I don't think anyone plays it, and although I played Pump as a young'n and not DDR, it's been 20 years and I am no longer in good enough cardio shape for that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Brosnan posted:

We have a PIU cab at my office. I don't think anyone plays it, and although I played Pump as a young'n and not DDR, it's been 20 years and I am no longer in good enough cardio shape for that poo poo.

Wish my work had one!

But yeah I have been playing since 2004 and believe me I do feel like I am getting too old for this game. But at the same time I play super conservative and it does not really look good when performing in front of people. Some even call it cheating; I do like my lungs, and this game will beat you down if you let it. Just like DDR it's all about learning how to conserve energy and prepare for the moments where its needed in the higher levels of play.

Doubles is another story. I enjoy performing doubles when I go play near Atlanta. But that will beat you down as well.