Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Franky House seems to have scanlated the latest chapter already. It's on mangahelpers.

That was totally not worth the wait. The only thing noteworthy about this chapter is that we're getting another one on May 8th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The impression I had was that when Guts was branded he was removed from the influence of fate. Obviously, being branded means you're probably going to die horribly and almost immediately, but something "probably" happening is not what fate is in Berserk. Fate is stuff like Griffith stumbling across the red behilit when he despaired, and him getting broken in the first place. That stuff was predetermined, and was hinted at way before it happened.

Basically, there is "something" that determines everyone's fates, and since Guts is branded, he is not factored into this something's calculations. Hence, Guts could actually prevent fated events from happening, like Griffith ruling the world. Since Caska's branded too, this should apply to her as well.

I might be completely off here, but I thought that was the gist of what the Skull Knight said back in volume 13 or 14, after Guts first got the brand.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ah, looks like I was mistaken. The conversation I was thinking of was at the end of volume 18. Skull Knight says that the brand is beneficial to Guts because it pulls him into the Interstice, and hence the reason of the real world doesn't really apply to him anymore. I guess I mentally swapped "reason" for "fate".

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Is this available anywhere for those of us that can't use bittorrent?

Here you go.

http://view.thespectrum.net/series/berserk-chapter-310.html

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

YouTuber posted:

Berserk is licensed in the US. That link has the entire series on it. We get away with the current scanlations since it's not going to be in the US for some time but I doubt that link should be posted here.

I can see your point, but for series like One Piece, Naruto and Bleach, people post links to One Manga all the time, and they host the complete series too. Is this really any different?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

It looked like The Beast finally broke free on the last page. Which means we're probably going to see some kind of permanent resolution to the problem of the Berserk armor, or at least one that keeps it under control until some heavy-duty psychological trauma, like if if Schierke gets burnt at the stake or something.

Poor pirates, though. They can't catch a break. They're almost as unlucky as Adon.

That wasn't the last page. Keep reading.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Not to mention that the Berserk anime did a terrible job of foreshadowing. Almost all of the supernatural stuff was cut, so when Griffith turned into Femto, I was not thinking about how shocking this turn of events was. I was thinking "Why is this even happening? There was nothing in the previous story that indicated that something like this was going to happen at all." It all felt pretty stupid.

By contrast, the first arc in the manga sets the story up by showing you what Griffith was going to become. Equally as important, it showed you what a behilit was, and demonstrated how it worked. Since you already know that using a behilit pretty much requires you to sacrifice all your friends, you get this sinking feeling early on that all those characters you're starting to love will die. And so when it finally does happen, it doesn't come out of nowhere and confuse the gently caress out of you. Sure, it wasn't very surprising, but it was compelling.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I think that most people aren't willing to admit that their real problem with the ending was how shocked they were by it. The betrayal, and violence, and death, and rape were all quite a bit worse than anything that we'd seen up to that point. These things were happening to characters that we'd grown to care about, and that made it even worse.

A lot of the time, it's easier to say, "that makes no sense", than it is to say, "that was too horrible for me to accept".

No, I was not terribly shocked by the ending. It just wasn't gripping at all. The lead up to the Eclipse was compelling in the manga because you already knew what a behilit does, what the cost of becoming a demon is, how people get the Brand, and what the Brand does. So when the Eclipse finally happens, all you can focus on is how it's far worse than you had imagined.

In the anime, the behilit was doing jack poo poo the entire time, and had given us no reason to care about it beyond it being a symbol of fate that can block poisonous arrows and scare off Zodd. Then it summons a bunch of beings we've never seen before and tells us a bunch of stuff that would have been useful to know earlier. Then everyone gets eaten/raped. I didn't know it was based off a manga at the time, and it felt like they'd made poo poo up at the last moment so that there'd be a connection to the first episode. I wasn't horrified by the anime's Eclipse, I was bored.

Also, because the anime didn't feature the skeleton knight at all, they didn't show how Guts and Casca escaped the Eclipse. Instead, the show cuts straight from Casca being raped to Guts leaving Godo's house with his giant sword, ready to begin his rampage of revenge (if I remember correctly). I didn't even know Casca survived the Eclipse until I read the manga.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mr. Vile posted:

Yeah, but the reason he took the form he did was because he wanted to rise higher than anyone ever had before. I'm pretty sure it outright says that's why he has wings.

I think that was in the chapter that got cut from the manga volumes, so most people wouldn't be aware that you can choose your form.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Awesome Welles posted:

I'm curious as to how to them it's COMPLETELY ABSURD to alter the assassination sequence so that Guts covers his face and uses a sword that isn't easy to recognize later on, but I'm afraid I would get a wall of text about it. Is it unreasonable to think, being someone who grew up in loving war zones and poo poo, he would have at least a small idea as to how assassinations work?

Cool, so they're going to be changing that sequence to make more sense. For as detail oriented as Miura usually is, Guts using his enormous sword always seemed like a huge oversight.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

xzoto1 posted:

Berserk is my favorite anime series but I have yet to touch the manga... until now. I just started the first volume.

It took me years to give the manga a chance after I watched the anime and was generally unimpressed (outtakes were awesome though). The manga is pretty much better in every way, and the whole time I was reading it I was kicking myself for not buying the volumes sooner. If you like the detail in the art you see now, just wait until you reach the later volumes. They make the first few volumes look terrible by comparison.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ulio posted:

Gatsu isn't that old what's up with him having a bit of grey?

It's the result of the trauma his body endured when he used the Berserker Armor for the first time.

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 13, 2011

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

So, it was kind of on the fringe there before, but the the line Guts said about the Moon Kid "seeming like a kid playing around" this chapter and his spectral appearance have got my questioning whether or not this is some kind of freaky three way baby. like, Guts' sperm, Caska's egg, and Griffith's Od or something.

I had always assumed that it was the demon fetus in a new form. Which would basically be a 'yes' to what you're suggesting.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

PaleIrishGuy posted:

I'm guessing that only the 'demon/Griffith' part of the Guts/Caska+Griffith baby was what got used up.

Yeah, this is more what I was thinking. Also, the moon kid's first appearance came after the false eclipse, which is the last time we saw the fetus.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

So would that make this just a waxing gibbous then?

http://www.mangareader.net/96-1147-183/berserk/chapter-27.html

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Twitch posted:

I just finished reading the latest story arc after putting Berserk down for a couple years (not counting slowly building up my Berserk library), and I was on the edge of my seat whenever they showed mermaids; I'm terrified of the real ocean, if I had to live in the Berserk ocean I'd just kill myself out of terror.

Dude, mermaids showed up over a year and a half ago. No need to spoiler that.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

So I'm doing a reread, and I'm having trouble figuring out whats up with Lord Mozgus, the executioner guy for the religion. It seems like hes an apostle, but does it ever explain how he became one?

When Mozgus and his apostles were running from the black ooze, the Egg stung them with a stinger or something, which made them quasi-Apostles. It's the same way the cult guy dressed as a Baphomet got turned into a quasi-Apostle.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

What's the general consensus on the Anime? I watched the first episode and it was decent, but the manga's catching my attention a lot more. Obviously it's not going to be allowed to be as graphic and they already changed up the basic structure of the first chapter by having it be some girl he saves instead of Puck. Is it generally considered to be a good adaptation?

If you plan to read the manga, then don't bother watching the anime until after you've read volume 13. The anime tries to be self-contained and eliminates lots of key events that tie the plot to the rest of the manga (it eliminates Puck, for example). Some people really liked the anime, but it didn't really move me at all. Outtakes loving ruled though.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

temple posted:

I like the show version and think its the best way to introduce someone to Berserk. It gives a sense of the sword fighting in motion before you read the manga. The show also ends on a cliff hanger and would drive people to read the manga. Everynone I've recommended the show to end up wanting to read what happens next. It was the perfect F-U and brings gravity to the situation with the screen fading red with blood as Guts loses his eye.

I really disagree with this. I watched the show first and it turned me off bigtime. I thought the Eclipse was hilarious because up until then there was no foreshadowing at all about what a Behilit was for. After the first episode it was just a bunch of medieval stuff and then BAM! your relic is a summoning device and now there are monsters everywhere eating everybody. And then the show ended. At the time I didn't know there was a manga, so all I could assume was that whoever wrote the story was a loving idiot.

I found out about the manga thanks to this thread, and I'm glad I took the plunge despite my misgivings. I don't think Miura had a firm grasp of Guts's character in the first three volumes, but those volumes established context for the demonic events in the Golden Age arc that was sorely missing in the anime.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't know what show you were watching but there's tons of foreshadowing about the Behilit and supernatural stuff going on, that was the whole point of the part with Guts and Griffith fighting Zodd. Well, that and reinforcing that Griffith is an idiot where Guts is concerned.

While the anime series isn't as good as the manga, that's a testament to just how good the manga is, it's still one of the best anime shows ever.

I worded that pretty poorly. What I mean is that throughout the anime we see the Behilit as some sort of supernatural trinket, and Zodd says some stuff about it, but we've really got no real reason to fear it. The manga has those exact same scenes, but instead it's really unsettling because you already know what a Behilit is, what it does, what activates it, and what the results are probably going to be. That's what I'm getting at when I say the anime doesn't give us context. I think it's also annoying that the anime didn't tell you Griffith became Femto until it actually happened. IIRC the most we got was a vague dream and Guts waking up pissed yelling Griffith's name. I had no idea what real relevance any of the Golden Age had to the first episode until the end, and it just left a bad taste in my mouth.

The outtakes made up for it though.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

A.S.H. posted:

I always thought Guts was torn up over Theresia because the look she gave him as he was leaving reminded him of Casca. Miura even colors her with darker skin in the close up on her eyes to communicate this, at least that's what I gathered. He might on some level acknowledge what he did, but the wound that cuts the deepest is the reminder of his love.

I was under the impression that Guts was tearing up because saving Theresia from falling reminded him of Casca.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

temple posted:

The Dragonslayer

Can anyone remember any instances of other people moving or carrying the Dragonslayer when Guts was unconscious or whatever? Some nerds were arguing about how its magic so only Guts can lift it or whatever. I think remember other people trying to carry it and they couldn't swing it but they could move it.

Godo? He repaired the sword himself while Guts was chilling in the elf cave.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pensive posted:

I love that his face isn't like that because hes some crazy monster with demon powers (which he is), but because he spent days smashing his face into a marble floor as part of some self flagellation.

And even then, he didn't get his demon powers until the very end of that arc. Up until he and his disciples got stung he was just a normal, totally hosed up human being. Every time I read that arc I get a greater appreciation for Mozgus.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Zogundar posted:

Help, I can't make out the third character of the first word of what Kyuubey is saying on the 4th page. I don't think it's kanji because there appears to be a dakuten or handakuten so it looks like "ボ" or "ポ" but neither of those make sense to me. The first two look like "ワケ." And why is the next thing he says "わからない YO"? Is that supposed to be よ as a particle but written in romaji, or is he telling Guts "YO"? The former seems more likely but I have no idea what that's supposed to convey by writing it like that.

I gave up trying to read the second part by the fourth page.

It's "ga".

"Wake ga wakaranai yo". It's written in different styles to be funny.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

Oh, so whatsherface the psychic girl can hear and relay the voices of the dead? I can't wait to for her to hear what the original Band have to say!

Since they got killed as sacrifices, the original Band of the HawkFalcon got sucked into that vortex that robs you of your memories and basically melds you with the collective unconscious. I imagine they don't have much to say.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Awesome chapter except for using six pages on that old guy getting his leg brace, for real? I'd rather of had three double page spreads of Griffiths beautiful hair or...pretty much anything else.

Isn't the old guy Daiba? He wasn't some random old guy.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

That was a pretty cool chapter, and that hopefully wraps up the scenes in Falconia for now.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Well it would attract a lot more readers, that's for sure.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'm going to sacrifice everyone in this thread

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Next chapter: In order to gain favor from the king of the elves, Guts and the gang must put together an idol band

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The author wrote a short story where the hero drinks a little girl's piss, it should not surprise you that his fans are terrible.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

.....Please give me some details about this.

Enjoy.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

how does it being a joke make it better

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

In the setting of the far future where you can just make up whatever you want, Miura specifically chose "child piss has healing powers" as something that should be a part of that setting and spent several pages across several chapters on it. It being a joke doesn't somehow make that not goddamn creepy

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Zenzirouj posted:

Well actually she's hundreds of years old, so

hrm, touche

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

We're going to need the current year in the new thread title

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

With no God Hand to help explain things, that first Eclipse must've been so confusing for the person who became Void.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I for one am dying to see what Casca's perspective is going to be once she regains her mind. I wonder if she'll retain her memories of the last two years, because if so she's going to be royally pissed that Guts ditched her in a cave for two years after their last intimate conversations were about Guts taking Casca with him next time he left on a journey. And unless Casca gets her memories of the Eclipse wiped somehow there's no loving way she'd go to Griffith. After all this buildup for having one character finally reenter the story, I'd like it if Casca affects the plot in a way that isn't just "and then she joined Guts's/Griffith's team".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

gently caress yes, new Berserk chapters and the Musou game I've always wanted. :woop:

apropos to nothing posted:

you people are extremely negative. this month theres a new chapter, a new game announced, and a new anime about to premier and all any of you do is complain about seeing a cgi breast

I think it's fair to cringe at the developer's decision to have a teaser that is literally nothing but panning over Casca's naked body as she's being molested and is about to be raped.

i want this to be real