Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Japan was also published by Dark Horse some years back. I happened upon it a long time ago and bought it. Very nationalistic, yes, but also quite silly. Something like those cheesy 80s action movies where Schwarzenegger or Stallone or whoever just mows down a bunch of foreigners commies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
It was more like pro wrestling with giants and giant insects and it was awesome.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
We might get some guts next chapter.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
A place with living scarecrows and where times flows differently. Now all we need is a battle with Artorias.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Japan is really nationalistic but also really fun. It gives zero fucks and has a Not-Guts punching dudes in the face. It was published by Dark Horse a long while back and I managed to snag a copy of it by accident.

Not what could be called an essential read, but worth a look if you enjoy Berserk.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Puck: It's me Guts! It was me all along, Guts!

Isidro: Aw, sonuvabitch!
Ivalera: WHAT?

Puck: You all bought it, hook, line and sinker! Even that old granny in the woods bought it.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
There's a chapter in the conviction arc where Guts meets the skeleton knight and he tips off that Casca might be at the tower. The knight notices Puck but just notes that it's curious Guts has a creature like that with him.

It's more curious that after the meeting Puck thinks the knight almost felt like an elf...

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
So that's how they roped Miura into this.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Serious Frolicking posted:

I want to fight apostles as Corkus.

Judeau here. Pippin could also be cool.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Seeing whitewashed Casca in the new anime got me thinking: where is Casca from exactly? All the people around Midland and Chuder and other Holy See nations are more or Caucasian and the only people with different features and skin color are the Kushans. I'm fairly certain Casca is not related to them in any way or her reaction to the assassins at least would have been different. Is Casca just a freak with a darker skin or did Miura have a more racially diverse world planned at some point but then he scrapped it/forgot about it and Casca is just Casca now? That would at least make her new look make more sense.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I'm watching at least the next episode just for Mozgus.

But yeah, this is pretty much trash and I'm only watching it to laugh at it.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Mozgus is loving huge.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Pewdiepie posted:

That scene is bad and rear end.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I personally watch this to validate my alcoholism.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Why people still insist watching awful animes when critically acclaimed mangas exist is beyond me.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Torquemadras posted:

"I am a collector of art", I explain to my acquaintance. The fire warms us after our evening walk in the chilly forests of my family estate. I lean closer. "But I cannot be said to truly own art. No, I am merely a passenger of appreciation. I can only hope to, one day, to be worthy of the genius that created... such raw, masterful impressions..."
With that, I reveal my custom A3 print of hell dick nightmare monsters jizzing at a teenage witch

:same:

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

DamnGlitch posted:

is there a new season of the anime starting or something?

do not even joke

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Going back to action sequences in manga, I though Hiroaki Samura did a good job in Blade of the Immortal.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I avoided Berserk for several years because I assumed it was some edgy Heavy Metal-esque crap with above average art as its main selling point. Berserk is much better than that and I have confidence in Miura’s abilities.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
What about the mountain village of ogre ninjas where Rickert fled riding a pterodactyl the last time we saw him.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Brian Blessed as Azan.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Captain_duck posted:

Before the end, that behelith guts is carrying around is getting used. It's a extremely horrible Checkovs gun. No idea who is going to use it, could be Guts, Puck or maybe even Casca. Maybe Guts will do it to gain the power to kill Griffith but that seems unlikely. Maybe Guts dies and Puck or Casca uses it to revive Guts somehow?

But whoever isn't using it is going to get sacrificed. Farnese, Serpico, Isidoro, Schierke they are pretty much guaranteed to be sacrificed, and it will be awful.

Guts cannot use the behelit since he has the brand. Same for Casca.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
People who have the brand cannot be sacrificed again.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

EimiYoshikawa posted:

If anyone was, Donald would be Guts.

Griffith would be Mickey, or, allowing for a less prominent character, Gladstone Gander.

Daisy as Casca.

Edit: Scrooge as Void

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
It's from the same artist and he made it partly so that his assistants can hone their skills with it. Berserk updates so slowly that there might as well be discussion about this one as well. If you actually bothered to read it you'd see it's a pretty good fantasy adventure story.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
nudity =/= sexual

hth

Edit: To clarify, I know nudity is a really big taboo in the U.S. of A, but it is not necessarily so in other parts of the world and it doesn't always carry sexual connotations.

Laputanmachine fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 13, 2019

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Ruflux posted:

That said, when you can literally tell the author of a piece was writing/planning/storyboarding art featuring underage nudity one handed, you can probably be justified in arguing that it indeed qualifies sexualization and also is not a good thing

I don't know if this is you projecting or if you're just watched too much bad anime/read manga so that it's broken you but Duranki doesn't really have that kind of vibe. Sure there are sexual tones, but it's in the vein of "protagonist trying to find their identity" rather than "the reader is supposed to want to gently caress all these kids".

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

bob human being posted:

I've heard this many times and not argued in an attempt to agree and I never have.

So you have a taboo and you're uncomfortable with nudity. That's fair.

bob human being posted:

It has the exact same tone as "negima's crush forgets to wear panties during a fight with the bad guy"

This however is really weird. Negima and other harem series like it are sexual fantasies for the reader where the protagonist is by design the most generic, milquetoast empty vessel so that the reader can project themselves on him. Duranki's protagonist is not that and as I said, the sexual tone that the series has is about the exploration of sexual identity, not about finding as many sex partners as possible.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I'd wager the reaction to Duranki comes mainly from two places. One is how nudity is a quite strong taboo in many western cultures and is usually automatically linked to sexual intercourse. The other is the amount of fanservice almost every popular shonen manga and anime has. Combine these two and it's very easy to have an knee-jerk reaction to any nudity in manga or anime, no matter the context.

Edit: changed the first sentence a bit for emphasis.

Laputanmachine fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
One thing that really bugs me here is how every critic here instantly and automatically draws parallels between Duranki and every fanservice/hentai series out there. I'm not an expert on art or communicating through images but even I can see a definite discrepancy between this series and, say, Negima for the sake of example since it was already mentioned. In Negima almost every shot of any girl (= member of the protag's harem), especially in the more ecchi scenes, is explicitly meant to titillate; the scenes more or less forcefully expose the character, especially for the protagonist (who is very much meant to be the reader's avatar), the angles, the framing, it all serves that one purpose only.

In Duranki, the reader's view is more of an observer; we see how Usumgallu is trying to come to terms with who they are and is unsure how their new friends are going to react if/when they find out. In the bath scene where they join their friends we see the reaction of one of the boys but even that is not the usual anime blush/nosebleed or whatever. The boy is unsure of his reaction and it serves to bring more tension to the story and to the group dynamic. I'm as white and nerdy and cis as a goon can be and I think it's great there's a manga from a high-profile artist that tackles this. Could it be told with less bare butts? Yeah, but the situation underlines the reactions the characters have and as I said, the point of view here is different. There is way less male gaze here, or at least it's in a different form than in your regular fanservice crap.

Of course, there's still plenty of opportunities for Miura to gently caress this all up spectacularly, but up to this point Duranki looks like a pretty good adventure story with a non-binary protagonist.

And finally, if any of you really have a problem with this and don't want to talk about it, go tell the mods about it and then shut up. Don't go rubbing your ego by crowing how morally superior you are in some other part of the forums. It just shows how insecure you are about all of this and maybe you should talk about it to someone professional.