Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ccs posted:

Purists over at SK.net are raging at it not starting with volume 1 and following the manga completely faithfully but personally I believe it'll be better off this way.

I think there's a good page worth of discussion going on over there about the size of Griffith's cuffs seen in the movie stills in relation to how it looks in the manga.

Never mind how good the animation looks so far and the fact that we're finally (hopefully) going to see Berserk get a decent adaptation, their clothes aren't perfect, drat it. Clearly a lack of respect for the source material :argh:

Also, apparently another quote from Miura himself:

quote:

I never imagined I'd receive such a great blessing again: to have the manga animated. The previous animation of Berserk served as a momentum to make it known to people.

It's been 14 years since the first one. I think this animation will be done, as a movie, well enough to gain the sympathy of many people as well as that of the fans.

14 years ago, my skill wasn't good enough so I fully concentrated myself on the serialization (I was really absorbed!). Besides, back then, we didn't have Amazon and not many people had Internet in our country. A debutant mangaka had almost no means to get data about armors or European Middle-Ages history. So I used a pamphlet of the movie "Excalibur" until it was ragged.

Time has passed and now we live in the Information Age, not to mention we have CG technology! I'm sure that we'll see images beyond the expectations that I had at the time.
And, I had a chance to visit STUDIO 4°C, known for its craftsmanship and to first meet the director Kubooka and then the other staff. Seeing their over-passioned tenacity about the project (they're out of their minds <3), I can trust them deeply, and I can't do anything but wish that nobody dies of overwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

A teaser trailer

Christ that looks awesome.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

TooManyUzukis posted:

I really don't understand the hate for the anime, as everything it cut out it didn't need in the first place. The anime was only ever the Golden Age Arc, so characters like Skull Knight and that apostle from Volume 11 were superfluous with respect to the story the anime was trying to tell. The Golden Age Arc wasn't even an Arc in the anime, it was the WHOLE story. The story of a rise to power and a fall from grace, and the depths that would cause someone to sink to.

What I never understood is how certain people claim it wasn't made the way Miura wanted it to be. All I remember hearing is how all of the cuts made to it were under the supervision and approval of Miura and it how it was never intended to go beyond 25 episodes (granted it's been a long time since I looked up anything about the original show).

In fact, he even said "The previous animation of Berserk served as a momentum to make it known to people." I would imagine that part of the reason it was adapted was to simply introduce the basic story to new audiences (especially international ones, as the success in Europe and North America has shown) and get more people reading the manga.

I guess that's a rational way of looking at it, as opposed to some of the people on Skullknight posting about how blasphemous the original show was to the creator\source material and acting shocked that it had so much material cut from it. There wasn't any intent in the first place to give it a "proper" adaptation, IIRC.

Still, it's kind of hard to even focus squarely on the relationship between Guts\Griffith without touching the supernatural parts which is something that definitely worked against the ending of the first series. Wasn't really shocking, just confusing as all hell.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ccs posted:

I am so looking forward to these movies. The purists over at SkullKnight.net (read: the mods) have been hating on the movie because images came out where Griffith's costume isn't exactly right! Or Gut's sword isn't as detailed as it should be! Goddamn, you'd think these people have never heard of simplifying designs for animation. Geezus. It's Studio 4C, we all know it'll look amazing in motion. And motion is what animation is all about.

Anyway I really hope these movies do well, or at least in DVD/Bluray sales. That's what will really decide if they keep going with them.

There's a post in their movie thread that reads like this:

":qq: Miura if you vist SK.net and read this you must know that your fans are not happy!"

Because you know he's the one making the film.

I browse that thread every so often just to see if there's any news or new trailers or anything like that and their entire community basically wants a loving perfect, flawless, 1:1 conversion from the manga across all three movies. No one seems willing to accept the fact that Studio 4C is in the business of making movies, so making cuts and truncating certain details are guaranteed to happen. Even the smallest, cosmetic changes are an affront to the entire fanbase and an insult to glorious Mirua-san! ("The Band of the Hawk logo is improperly proportioned in the film! How can you be so careless, Studio 4C!" :arghfist::spergin:)

I'm curious as to how to them it's COMPLETELY ABSURD to alter the assassination sequence so that Guts covers his face and uses a sword that isn't easy to recognize later on, but I'm afraid I would get a wall of text about it. Is it unreasonable to think, being someone who grew up in loving war zones and poo poo, he would have at least a small idea as to how assassinations work?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I'm so glad that they're doing something about this. It's always seemed a little ridiculous that Guts somehow managed to avoid all blame after that fiasco.

Yeah changes like this I honestly think are for the better. IIRC they complained that it would go against the way Guts is - brash, hot-headed, etc. - but I'm pretty sure if Griffith of all people tells him "I need you murder the gently caress out of this really important dude and you can't be seen doing it, make it quick," shouldn't automatically equal "WELP, BROADSWORD CHARGIN TIME." From a narrative standpoint it doesn't make much sense to me, seeing how he always uses a giant broadsword that, you know, no one else ever loving uses and all it takes is one person to make the connection.

The only other thing I'm a bit surprised people are yelling about is how the 90 minute run time somehow means that Guts' childhood is going to get cut.

Now I'll admit I'd be really surprised and disappointed if it didn't make at least the first film, but has anyone tried reading those chapters again? I thumbed through them today out of curiosity and it seemed like I was through him being found by Shisu and Gambino all the way up to killing the poo poo out of Basuzo's face in just a few minutes. Didn't the anime get through it in 10 minutes or some poo poo?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

A.S.H. posted:

Are we referring to THE assassination where Guts kills the King of Midland's brother and his son?

Yeah, when he kills Julius and accidentally kills Adonis. (spoiler tag in case we've got some new fans in here, I guess?)

quote:

I always found it interesting that on the second dispatch Guts does for Griffith, he wears a fancy feather cap and uses a different, lighter sword, the same one he defeats Griffith with. I really loved that new sword. Of course his other sword was broken after the One Hundred Man Battle, and the duel with Boscogne, so there are plenty of good story explanations for these things.

This is probably the only thing in the trailer I found odd. It shows the duel between Guts and Griffith, but Guts still has the sword that Boscogne breaks in battle. I'm not too concerned with him just getting back the same sword, but the one he kills the rogues and defeats Griffith with is just loving cool looking.

quote:

It's nice to know that they are taking an approach towards sense when it comes to changing things, instead of just shoving junk in for the sake of having something to look at.

On the other hand...

"SK.net sperglords posted:

that's what I don't understand - what change in the storyline can lead to a different Hawks logo? And they also showed the usual one with the wing pattern... And also that feather, just what is that for?

quote:

I hate the fact that they're changing existing material for no reason. What was the reason behind moving Guts's and Casca's conversation to the middle of a bunch of ruins?

quote:

Devil's in the detail. Botching the emblem on the main characters' chests is not a reassuring sign, and actually it does clearly show the limits of the production's attention to detail. Not that it's anything new, as we've had ample proof that they weren't being meticulous since the very first footage we saw, but it's just plain sloppy, no matter how you look at it.

Two minutes of scrolling through it and I just had to stop myself. I can't wait to see what kind of whining and nitpicking the next trailer will bring. :allears:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Niccy Bones posted:

It's a rehash (somewhat) of the same sort of whinging A Song of Ice and Fire fans had over HBO's Game of Thrones.

True, given how crazy people can be about anything though when it comes to anime and manga it always seems like people can get especially angry over even the most trivial changes to the source material.

The SK.net community is convinced that these movies aren't being made for a general audience, but rather it's going to be beamed directly into only the most devoted fans brains and think that if the most hardcore spergiest fans don't like it, everyone at Studio 4C will cancel the entire project, write an apology in their own blood, and commit seppuku.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ccs posted:

Check out these actual film clips from the movie. Anyone who speaks Japanese will also get to hear some insight about what the voice actors think about their characters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8KM9y89OfY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MwqJ5s3MdEY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2FRIpn3Nqk&feature=related

...Holy gently caress the animation looks great. :fap:

Can't believe I'm getting this excited over a loving anime movie, but god drat I can't wait for this poo poo to be out.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

WickedIcon posted:

I hope they put some of the first couple volumes in the movies. The fight against the Count is crazy badass and ends with one of my favorite moments in the entire series, so it'd be a shame if the movies completely ignored that.

From what's been out there, it doesn't look like the fight with the Count or the Snake Baron dude will be in it, which is unfortunate but given that the movies are apparently focusing squarely on the Golden Age, it isn't too bad.

I'm hoping they still keep in Guts childhood, as I'd imagine it would only take a few minutes out of the movie to get through. Would be kind of weird if they moved it to another film.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mr. Deathy posted:

I think we can safely assume the rear end rape wont be in the movie at least!

I figure they would probably just do it similar to the TV series (I mean, really, his life is hosed up enough anyway without the rape), but to remove everything would be a really strange move.

How else could it start? With Basuzo?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

More scenes from the movie, including Zodd's first transformation when he gets hit by Guts:

Charlotte
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAS44bcn05Y

Rickert
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0r-iTgxhcg

Zodd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QToPJ0hhRFg

Judo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X1yiVvdyTs

Apparently, Gambino and Donovan will be in the film, but will be handled in a quick flashback not unlike the anime.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I don't know, that Zodd scene looks pretty loving good. Kind of hoping I'll have the chance to see it on the big screen over here. (though I really doubt it)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Uh, well...holy gently caress:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHDVGT2AD5Y

Kind of a faux music video for one of the movie's theme songs with a good amount of new footage from the Bazuso fight and the ambush on Guts.

Normally I'm plugging my ears when J-pop style stuff kicks on, but I genuinely like that song and feel it fits the film instead of some hyperactive bullshit, and jesus god drat the animation just looks better and better (some awkward CG here and there notwithstanding).

Oh and we have another fandom meltdown. This time? An advertisement. Not even anything from the movie itself. :suicide:

quote:

Franchising opportunities. This, my friends, is more depressing than if Miura announced a five year break. This is the lowest point in the history of Berserk. Guts and Griffith munching on snacks. For cash. On the fields of Naboo.

quote:

As Bill Hicks famously said, "By the way, if anyone here is in advertising, or marketing: kill yourself." That poster makes me ill.

quote:

I wonder if Miura knows about these ads, and if he does, how does he feel about them?

quote:

Wouldn't they need Mr. Miuras consent in order to make them ?

:qq: my animes needs monies to pay its production staff and they engage in odd\silly advertising why wont anyone think of glorious miura-san :qq:

I mean it really is a strange ad to have, given the content of the movie series in general, but god drat, is it really that terrible? I need to start blocking Skullknight's forums out of my brain, I can't even look at it and laugh anymore.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

You guys, theres a battle scene. One that isn't just a sidescroll over a still image with flames overtop. A real battle scene.

Honestly, I'm happier that Zodd actually has a roar now. In the original anime, the Japanese version just had an old guy going "RRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAA*hackkkkkk*" at the top of his lungs. Definitely wasn't intimidating at all, and sounded like the poor guy was going to have a loving heart attack. :ohdear:

This is one of the only things that was superior in the dub, because IIRC they actually added a kind of roaring\yelling sound effect to the voiceover.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNZNCd62XLc

Short featurette with a bunch of new footage from the movie. It's going to be one long wait for this to come out over here. :(

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

A few more interviews have been posted online with cast members, nothing too special (they even gave one for Pippin and Gaston), but one that caught my eye was the footage in the interview with the actor voicing Corkus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d86TfJgQpv8&feature=related

The shading, the leaves falling, the detail looks outstanding. I'd loving kill to see this on the big screen at this point.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Vengarr posted:

Bit late, but when I read people talking about "Berserk music" I instantly thought of the theme from the PS2 game.

Man, I really wish they had localized that, it looked cool as hell in the trailers. Closest we ever got was Guts' sword in Samurai Western, unfortunately. Might be a good game to LP someday.

I honestly thought it was pretty strange that they didn't localize it. Guts' Rage came out when there was even less awareness about the series in North America and IIRC it sold decently and even had a fair share of good reviews.

The PS2 game was (again) an entertaining hack and slash with, for its time, pretty good graphics and impressive cutscenes. Sure it wouldn't have been a runaway success but I was genuinely surprised that it was completely passed on, even as a limited release. The game definitely wasn't perfect and shared a few problems here and there with Yuke's first try (problematic camera, repetitive gameplay) but it's still fun as hell and the atmosphere nailed the look, feel, and sound of Berserk.

I mean, poo poo, they went the extra mile for Guts' Rage getting some pretty fantastic voice actors for the English cast, too.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ccs posted:

Hey guys, check this out.

http://youtu.be/Q4yMGeUX0LU

Well...uh, holy poo poo.

All of the different art, all from different periods in the storyline. Granted, I know having a standard opening for a planned series is usually par for the course, but given the sheer scope of the story and the fact they have all of Guts' Bros in the opening shows, to me, a lot of confidence in this project from everyone involved.

:iia:

It would be cool if Warner Bros. promoted the gently caress out of its international release at some point

Added: The other end credits theme was put up along with a ton of new footage, it's worth it only to see a few seconds of Guts fighting his way out during the assassination mission, which looks unbelievably kick rear end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NDDzEeNAI

Double Edit:

First 10 minutes uploaded to Youtube in lovely but watchable quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEgcHdTb8t4

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 5, 2012

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I'm kind of worried now, since I doubt that the enthusiasm will last long enough to make it past the golden age.

They're going to factor in things like DVD\Blu-ray sales and, according to the producers, the whole project is being handled with an international audience in mind. I wouldn't be too worried about it at this point, not just yet anyway. Considering it's been out for, what, two or three days now?

I really doubt they would have to pull a Big O to get the series finished.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mr. Deathy posted:

Opening weekend performance here if anyone cares:

http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/?yr=2012&wk=5&p=.htm

93 screens, I guess it got kind of a limited release over there anyway?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Guyver posted:

Even in Japan most anime is really niche.

Yeah I figured as much (I was thinking in terms of comparing it to standard movie releases). Interesting numbers though (a billion for Arrietty, holy poo poo), I'm far more interested in seeing how the Berserk movies do on DVD\Blu-ray there and internationally.

Berserk is such an awesome property, I hope WB promotes it well overseas.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ok, the hosts in this video are annoying as poo poo but this has a whole bunch of behind-the-scenes info and a crash course in Berserk, and it's entirely in english:

(linked to the relevant start of the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJo9HtK10oM&t=4m14s

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ccs posted:

I'm not seeing a problem with it. For example when Griffith raises his arm with the sword in it on top of the castle, the body is 3D at 12 fps. But it doesn't look weird at all, makes it look more like traditional animation.

Yeah, they talked about it in the video, where his body was essentially done in CGI and a 2D face was drawn on. It's a really simply shot, but the animation looks really impressive.

I've been trying to pay attention to the editing of the film in regards to jumping from CGI to 2D animation and it's pretty cool to see what works and what is a bit odd looking. There's a simple shot of Guts putting on his helmet as Corkus and the other Hawks attempt their ambush that demonstrates how simple actions look great with this technique. (A CGI Guts prepares himself, putting his helmet on, but it cuts to a closeup of Guts face as he finishes putting it on in traditional animation, and the transition is really smooth)

Small details like this end up looking really good and flow well. The initial fight between Guts and Bazuso still looks a little too jerky though.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The DVD\Blu-ray release for the first movie will be May 23 in Japan. Guess we just have to wait for fansubs until the eventual international release.

Also, if anyone's still interested, the remastered version of the original Berserk series was released and the quality is pretty drat impressive (even for a relatively low budget series from the 90's).

Original
Blu-ray

Not sure how Media Blasters is doing these days, but I wouldn't mind getting it if it came out over here. Although it's pretty dated, it was always a good way of introducing people to the series, which I'm sure was Miura's stated intentions of the series in the first place - a crash course introduction to build interest for the manga.

edit: why the gently caress did I use "pretty" so much

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 10, 2012

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mr. Deathy posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHyYarEe3os&feature=player_embedded

Trailer for the second movie.

Looks like it goes pretty drat far...trailer has scenes of the King whipping Griffith in prison.

Dunno what they'll be cutting to get this far, but gives me hope that the Wyald stuff will make it into the third movie.

CGI looks improved

also gently caress yeah, 100 man fight

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ccs posted:

Haha sorry, it's more due to my interest in animation techniques and less due to my enjoyment of Berserk. I nitpick, but I'm still really happy with how this looks.

It's not that bad, at least you're not spending pages discussing why the animators decided to put OMFG FEATHERS on a character's armor, and also asking people who have seen the movie if there's an explanation in the movie as to why they're wearing said feathers.

Basic concepts like motifs and artistic liberties must be foreign to these people I guess.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

First movie will be out in North America this fall: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-04-07/viz-media-licenses-berserk-film-trilogy

I don't really keep track of anime all that much, but isn't Viz pretty decent as far as handling this poo poo goes?

Didn't they completely gently caress up Monster and only one DVD set was released or some poo poo? (which would be pretty loving criminal, it's an amazing show and deserves a lot better)

Also Miura apparently provided some custom artwork for the Blu-ray release:

Pretty awesome.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hatter106 posted:

When's it hitting stores in Japan? When can we expect to see it as :filez:

May, I believe.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hatter106 posted:

I'm shuddering at the thought of a new wave of "Gattsu & Gurifisu" translations...

Christ, that poo poo annoys me to no end. I think the best part is when they started putting small character profiles at the beginning of each volume using the correct spellings (Guts, Griffith, etc.) and one scanlator put in a rant about how the publisher or whatever was obviously wrong, but he was going to use their spellings anyway.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Niccy Bones posted:

Are you serious?

Are you loving SERIOUS?

Pretty sure it was Band of the Hawk or some other group, but I definitely remember seeing it. I'll have to see if I can track it down. They sounded irked as hell that they weren't going to get away with writing dumb poo poo like Gurisfu or whatever the gently caress glorious nippon poo poo.

EDIT: ahahaha found it

The bios (note the names):

And this:

:qq:

double edit: And jesus I was just typing poo poo in google hoping to find those images and one of the first results is this forum post from skullknight

quote:

This pretty much sums up what I think of the hawks and Evil Genius. Full of loving idiots (not to mention stealing), but the scans are quite useful to me (just like a girl and a dildo), especially since I dont want to buy Japanese Berserk volumes that I cant understand.

:wtc:

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 28, 2012

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

coathat posted:

Pretty easy to see why the movie didn't sell at all.

And this is based on...?

(No really, this poo poo hasn't been released anywhere outside of Japan, and people are already claiming it's a bust?)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Broke down and watched one of the rips online with subs. Couple initial thoughts:

-I really don't understand why so many Berserk fans are frothing at the mouth and hating on this thing. It seems like a lot of the narrative changes were done to make the entire thing flow more like a movie should. The pacing is a little too quick, but honestly, it feels like roughly the same speed I've read through scenes in the manga which is pretty fast.

-Removing the first raid is one of the only changes I don't agree with. That could have taken, what, less than 10 minutes going by how the production team is handling things? Definitely would give the audience a better sense of just how ridiculously calculating Griffith is and pad out some of the other Hawks perhaps, and the celebration afterwards would have added a bit more to Guts' bonding with everyone instead "Three Years Later: We're All Awesome Friends, Moving on..."

-I've seen complaints about removing the initial raid against Adon's camp, but really, was there really much point to that in the end? Adon doesn't even come in contact with anyone, IIRC. All it does is introduce him as a coward, but that can be easily taken care of with poo poo in the next film, but, you know, precious Miura, can't have any changes to my animes, :qq: etc. etc.

-The animation is weird, mainly because there are long stretches where it's god drat beautiful and fluid (even the CGI will look good) and then there are a few brief moments where I'm loving laughing my rear end off at how bad it is. Example, the animation in this shot:

:laffo: Seriously, who the gently caress thought this segment was good? If I get a chance I'm going to make this into a gif, because it looks so drat stiff and out of place, a screen cap just doesn't do it justice.

-The assassination was god drat spectacular. Seriously, lots of little subtle changes here and there really ramp up the tension. Guts reaction after Julius dies, where he briefly panics, clearly thinking how the gently caress to get out of there, and then making sure to wipe his sword on the banner on the wall - little touches like that. Of course it helps that him wrecking people's poo poo on the battlements was loving :black101: with some really awesome animation to go along with everything.

-The score definitely lost a lot of personality without having Hirasawa, but it's still pretty good. A lot of parts seem like Generic Hollywood Fantasy Soundtrack, but it works.

-Are there people seriously pissed Zodd wasn't in the movie more? gently caress he's in the original TV show for, what, fifteen minutes? He's in an hour long movie for about five or six minutes? That might actually be proportional in some odd way.

-I'm sure the new voice will grow on me after a while, but I still miss the old voice actor for Guts. Dude had an awesome voice.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

e: double post

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The big problem with them moving everyone except Guts, Griffith and Caska into the periphery is that it'll lesson the impact of Griffith's betrayal later on. When I first watched the original series I knew and liked all the named Hawks and their deaths hit me hard. In the movies anyone who doesn't already know who there are isn't going to care at all, unless they have a lot more dedicated time in the next two. Hell, I don't think they even bothered introducing Pipin by name.

Caska asks Pippin for more wine or something like that near the end of the movie, but I don't think Rickert's name is even spoken. I think there's a decent chance they give some of the other characters more exposure in the next two movies, but I'm not holding my breath. I think most people that are already familiar with Berserk are just waiting for the stuff past the Eclipse anyway, as, for all of its faults, the original TV show handled the Golden Age pretty well overall.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Three movies within a year is pretty awesome I'd say, and Miura apparently asked them about doing the Black Swordsman arc next. I'd loving love to see the Count fight and the Guts\Femto confrontation animated.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

Do we have actual figures and responses to those figure from the first movie? Because if they are bad we aren't gonna go anywhere, cheap production or not. Each movie is going to bring in diminishing returns.

Given that the production team has stated they'll be putting plenty of focus on the overseas market, we might have to wait until global sales numbers start rolling in before jumping to any conclusions about what the ultimate fate of the series will be.

I don't think they're expecting it to make a huge amount of bank, necessarily. This is an adaptation of an ultra-violent manga full of nudity and ridiculous amounts of gore and weird poo poo, after all.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Some new info from the :japan: neck of the woods again on the second movie. God, why do I torture myself:

Apparently, Zodd's appearance during Doldrey has been cut. I can see a bunch of changes for obvious film-making reasons, but really? Taking out Zodd? A simple, ten second thing that adds an interesting dynamic to him and his relationship with Guts? The gently caress is the point? How the hell does Boscogn get his poo poo ruined? That's anticlimactic as gently caress if Guts just offs him with his broadsword, him using Zodd's sword was pretty loving boss. Not that big of a loss, but that was a pretty awesome scene that turned out great even in the original anime.

The bar scene with Guts, Judeau, and Corkus is gone. Another removal I don't agree with (along with the initial raid in the first one), as it's something that could have been handled in a few minutes and gotten a little development in. At this point I think they just want to get to the post-Golden Age chapters as quickly as possible because that's what fans haven't seen animated yet.

And apparently the Bonfire of Dreams chapter has been compressed into the chat Guts has with Caska on the balcony of the ball, which sounds like it actually works out.

Puck, Farnese, and Serpico all make cameos of some sort, the latter two at the ball, Puck randomly I think. Naturally this has people grabbing their internet pitchforks and torches. (But they'll buy the Blu-ray when it comes out, of course. :allears:)

Forgot spoiler tags, ughhhh

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 25, 2012

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Unacknowledged posted:

Will there only be 3 movies? Or are more planned but not announced?

From what I've seen, they certainly have their eyes set on slowly adapting the entire series. It would be really nice, but it's likely we'll have to wait for international sales numbers to get an idea of where they're going.

I'm kind of hoping that all these Golden Age cuts aren't setting precedent for later adaptations if they happen (but that's likely the case). If those bastards gently caress up the fight with Grunbeld or any more backstory...:arghfist::spergin:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lotish posted:

The games did a pretty good job of continuing that trend. I'm looking forward to learning more about some of the apostles rocking out in Griffith's army.

Niko's story in the Dreamcast game is loving depressing as poo poo. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Viz announced the dubbing cast yesterday on their facebook page. Surprisingly they got back basically everyone from the original dub, even going so far as getting Sean Schemmel to voice all one or two of Gaston's lines. Wasn't it Schemmel who helped direct the dubbing of the original series?

The guys who voiced Zodd and Adon in the original dub were pretty entertaining, but I'm not sure how I feel about getting the exact cast back. Perhaps they've improved and with better direction it could turn out good, not unlike Funimation's work with DBZ Kai I guess. Have to wait and see I guess.