Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is Guts suppose to be German?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I thought I remembered hearing something like that. In the Berserk world, would you say that Guts is from that world's Germany?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Didn't Miura say once that he wanted to make 100 volumes?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I just imagined Berserk in the style of Jojo, and it is all kinds of ridiculous.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Which came out first: Jojo or Berserk?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I think a very poignant point in the Lost Children arc is the ending, when Guts is telling the little girl to stay away from the darkness. I'd post those pages, but I can't right now.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

What actors would you want to play the characters in live action? I can see them having Peter Dinklage play one of the God Hand. Ubik I think?

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 6, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Torquemadras posted:

It's seriously impressive that no character is truly forgotten in this series, and every "unimportant" side character stays involved. Hell, many of the king's generals are still around, like the guy who checked on the ongoing plague, and who almost recognized Guts as a member of the Hawks. I fully expect Ganeshka's wizard to gently caress things up somewhere down the line. Waaaaaay down the line.

What about the daughter of the Apostle near the beginning of the series?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Rickert builds Guts a motorcycle metal stead to ride into battle.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Literally The Worst posted:

where were you when the boat stopped sailing on that november day

I was reading threads on SA, as usual.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Did they say the flow of time on the island was faster or slower than the rest of the world?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

I believe it was faster, i.e. we are getting some sort of time skip by the time Guts and crew leave the island. There'd be no real consequence/change if it were slower, they'd just leave at close to the time they'd arrive. Presumably this is so Rickert can catch up with them quicker.

I think you got that mixed-up. I was talking about island time.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Berserk - Surprisingly has a better schedule than H X H

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Should I watch the original Berserk anime?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I heard from a friend that I should skip the first episode of the anime. Said that it messed up the rest of the series. Any merit to that claim?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

skasion posted:

Only if you're a Berserk virgin and are going into it expecting it to be a gritty realistic drama about medieval mercenaries or something.

Yeah, friend assumed that I did not know anything about the series. Since I read the manga already, I don't need to worry about "spoilers" or anything. Now I just need to find the series.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

There's still the Idea of Evil there to explain things to new God Hand members.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

I sort of agree, with the catch being that I prefer Sign II to the normal.

I have a problem with that version of Sign. It sounds like there's a rubber band being played and I can't not hear that every time I listen to this version.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I've been re-reading this series and I've got to say that chapter 117 is still my favorite chapter.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Jedah posted:

We're all sacrifices for the production company, and their CEO is a poorly animated Apostle.

But then who's the Idea of Evil?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

What about Starz?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Begemot posted:

The old anime starts with one episode of Black Swordsman stuff (he kills the slug count but doesn't meet the God Hand, iirc), and then at the end cuts off the eclipse just before Guts and Casca get rescued. It just shows black swordsman Guts alive somehow, walking off after his season-long flashback.

I thought he killed the snake guy in that episode and the slug count didn't appear in the anime.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

The Skull Knight would be voiced by James Earl Jones. As for who plays him, could be anyone big enough.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I decided to listen to some Berserk music that I haven't heard in a long time, got to Sign-2, and I am just wondering what that instrument playing throughout the song is. It kinda sounded like a rubber band.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Hearing Berserk and high school together is making me think about SMT.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Unfortunately, if I'm going to think of someone stuck on a boat, I'm inevitably going to think of Rurouni Kenshin.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I wonder if someone will try and sell 3D printed knockoffs.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

If Griffith is represented by the hawk(/falcon, not sure which) and Guts by the beast, then what do you think Casca will have?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

My personal favorite chapter is 117 in volume 16.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I would say Guts is in the middle between Jack and Kenshiro.

EDIT: Bit off-topic, but I'm suddenly wondering how violent a crossover between Violence Jack and Fist of the North Star would be.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 20, 2018

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Agreed! His performance in Candyman makes me believe he would make a drat fine Skull Knight.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I think part of the reason for the confusion is the fact that the numbering doesn't start until after 16 chapters, so that means chapter "1" is actually chapter 17.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Ccs posted:

Guts has a lot of issues around sex given what he’s witnessed and experienced. Using sex to trap an apostle, as well as making him super vulnerable, seems wildly out of character.

I imagine if Miura could redo it, he'd have some other normal guy having sex, the apostle transforms and almost eats him, and then Guts suddenly appears when he shoves his arm into the apostle's mouth and blows it up, and the normal guy is freaking out.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Reminds me of another crossover.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I sure hope that when it's time to cast Skull Knight for your live action Berserk, you choose Tony Todd as his voice.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

The whole Fantasia thing is caused by the World Tree spreading throughout the realms and merging them. Clearly the best solution to undoing everything is to chop that tree down, and luckily we know someone who would make an excellent lumberjack.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Maybe if Guts wears a mask it won't be so bad.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

How racist are we talking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I know people feel uncomfortable about all the butt shots, but I think that's only part of what puts people off. There's something about the design of the kids, they feel more realistic than most anime kids. For example, you see ribs showing on their skinny bodies.