Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hi, just caught up.
Holy gently caress did I choose the perfect time to marathon this :aaaaa:

skasion posted:

Guts strangled her and tried to rape her right after they first set out for Elfhelm

he also did this halfway through their first time. and then she insisted that they keep going. she knew guts was a broken, damaged person with deep-seeded trauma and felt empathy towards him.

Augus fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

An unusual artistic direction to be sure but one that is surely for the best

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think the thorns represent the emotional scars more than anything. Getting her "heart" back could also cause her even more pain as she now has to live and cope with the knowledge of what happened to her..

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah on a second reading you're right that it was explicitly called a hex, but considering the nature of magic in Berserk that...probably isn't actually all that different.
It like has the same nature as the Beast of Darkness, but will act very differently in its effects. Casca didn't react to the eclipse with pure rage and hate like Guts did.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

That’s hardly incompatible with her being swung around by Guts while she’s doing that.

casca does this while being swung around:

if Griffith gets killed its his own fault

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

technically she already did, incidentally

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nuebot posted:

You can sacrifice concepts, I guess? Like how that one guy sacrificed the world or whatever. Maybe she could sacrifice Griffith. Or like, the idea of Griffith.

That guy sacrificed himself, didn't he? His wish was for the world to be transformed.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

please don't go on hiatus this is too much I need to see what happens next :negative:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

on the other hands, goons are weirdo nerds too so really it's 50/50

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ccs posted:

But it's the opposite of that, he's trying to emulate Gustav Dore's engraving style. Which is so much better than photorealism but a bit absurd to do in a comic series.

"a bit"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Billzasilver posted:

90s berserk anime removed skull knight, my favorite character. It also removed Puck, who has told at least three funny jokes iirc. I would definitely start from the beginning.

I makes sense that they didn't introduce Puck when you consider that he would've only been in that one episode plus maybe a single scene later on.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Puck is essential to counter the darkness of certain arcs of Berserk. Like he's pure comic relief now, sure, but there are points in the story where he's basically the audience surrogate while Guts goes completely off the deep end.

Especially during the Lost Children arc he was an absolutely essential part of the storytelling.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

temple posted:

start from the golden age arc, skip back to the black swordsman. thank me later.

this is a bad idea

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

My Cuck Dad posted:

https://twitter.com/MangaMagJapon/status/983598417732558848

New chapter is due to release April 27th.

Woe to ye of little faith. I never lost hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhx8yVvmM5k

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

If even now, that chapter...
Is in your eyes more dazzling than anything...
Then pile it up, take all you have left...
Chant the words "I sacrifice" in your heart...
And you shall be granted raven-black wings...
Upon which you shall soar in the heavens, far above any hiatus.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bisse posted:

At the moment it is not canon. Miura removed it because he felt it was a bad moment to introduce such a concept. It may come back later, but until it does just assume it won't. Apparently the way Miura has planned story the has changed a lot since then, so it might no longer have a place.

Wait what?
Well that's a bit confusing but I guess revealing the "man behind the curtain" in what was essentially still the first act of the story was a bit much.

Augus fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 16, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't magic in Berserk still follow that principle? Trolls and unicorns exist because humans came up with them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Professor Wayne posted:

Lost Children is still what I consider peak Berserk, even though it has very little plot relevance. Kind of weird.

Who needs plot relevance when you have thematic relevance?

Oh yeah that chapter is incredible.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gaston actually survived the eclipse, his fashion line has taken the world by storm and his mercantile empire is challenging Griffith's rule!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

literally me right now:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

or its a deliberate move to keep the audience in suspense

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

While we're back with Griffith again, can we take a moment to talk about what everyone thinks his end goal is for all of this? He has his kingdom and has merged the worlds together, but he's still playing the dashing messiah and the apostles are still making nice with the humans.What is the reason for him and the Godhand going through with the whole song and dance of what he's doing, when he and his monster army could probably just sweeps over everything and either destroy or enslave whatever they want?

Or is Griffith a legitimately nice person now, protecting his subjects and fighting evil trolls out of the goodness of his heart?

pretty sure most of Griffith's people are going to hell when they die since he's a member of the godhand and all
like they even had that scene where he was passing their souls on to the other side
except he never clarified what that "other side" was

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Thread page count is catching up to the Berserk chapter count!

Haha if you expected resolution of the Casca story already. With all the buildup, he's probably still trying to figure out what to include. Meanwhile he has to show that Griffith is returning to his pre-slap self, perhaps in order to bring all the characters back together for the final... afternoon tea.

Or, you know, he's doing that "cliffhanger" thing that is cool with the kids these days

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

When you're in Falconia and you go too far with your shitposting Griffith gives you a Ban of the Hawk

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The “Guts banging a demon” thing is especially weird given all his past traumas and resultant hang-ups we end up learning about

The Lost Children Arc really did a lot to present post-eclipse Guts with more depth and humanity despite the fact that he’s at his absolute most brutal

Augus fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 18, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

All of this will probably read well and flow quite well when we're 30 chapters down the line from here.

berserk.txt

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

We should have seen it coming.

i mean the story begins by telling you it's gonna happen

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ccs posted:

The live action trailer Young Animal released for Berserk's newest volume will really spoil any appetite for an adaption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm5T5Ok2Gms

The first 7 seconds are decent, but then...

It becomes amazing?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

That doesn't explain the weird-as-gently caress leer at the end.

It’s a japanese singer and the ad is literally a joke

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Seems like they should pay lots of money if they want it removed, then use it as advertising material. It sure seems like it would be covered as a "derivative work", though some of the single frames may be infringing. Copyright is localized though, and those chapters are splattered all over the place on manga reading sites with no copyright notices, so it seems unenforceable.

This is really incorrect lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Diabetic posted:

He pretty much does the entire thing on his own. He draws huge sweeping landscapes featuring Griffith, and every soldier has their own individual armor. That being said, we all wish he'd hurry the gently caress up. I've followed this since 1998 and they just got off the drat boat.

They got off the boat 3 and a half years ago lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Void speaks, pointing at the vision of Elfhelm
“lf even now, that castle...
Is in your eyes more dazzling than anything...
Then pile it up, take all you have left...
Chant the words "I sacrifice" in your heart...
And you shall be granted raven-black wings...
Upon which you shall soar in the heavens, far above any mountain.”

At this point Guts finally reaches the top of the spire and shouts
”PUCK!”

Puck turns to him and smiles warmly
“Yes...
Amongst the thousands of comrades,
And the tens of thousands of enemies...
There was only one man...
You were the only one
Who ever made me forget my dream.”

“I sacrifice.”

Guts:
“Ah poo poo not again.”

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 5, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wyald is unnecessary and the story flows better without him as is clearly demonstrated by the adaptations that removed him.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

call it whatever you want, new Berserk WOOOOO!!!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The_White_Crane posted:

Next chapter is April 26th, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhx8yVvmM5k

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

quote:

- In any case, it would be nice if the adaptation into a film could be done.
Try to become president of the company until then.
- Or, as this interview will be read in Europe, maybe someone will grab this film project?
Could we ask Guillermo del Toro?
- While we're at it, we might as well aim high.
!!!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the end of this chapter seems like a logical point to circle back around to Guts's crew.
Maybe. Hopefully? Please!?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it says “produced by” Miura, doesn’t that imply he’s not actually the one writing/drawing it?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ya kinda need to just take their word for it that Casca is more or less at the level she was pre-eclipse. Miura’s action art has evolved so much since the last time we saw Casca fight that in comparison she looks like she somehow achieved super saiyan at some point during her time as a vegetable. What a badass tho.

But boy are things gonna be heavy moving forward :smith:

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 22, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zeruel posted:

SHE WANTED TO SEE HIM AAAA
Guts...... :smith:

It would’ve been less painful if she just didn’t want anything to do with him :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

racism is stored in the balls, just like piss