Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«529 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Wutasumi
Apr 25, 2006

AG: 8ut I was such a confused kid! I didn't know anything a8out what killing really means.

Markson

John feels the bone go through the top of his shoulder, just missing his collar bone, and rather then give out a scream of pain, or something one might expect from someone who had just had a loving BONE go through their SHOULDER, John simply goes blank and slack at that point, his mind retreating to a place where things are perfectly fine and dandy, and there are no horrible flesh monsters that make Frankensteins look like a child's play toy.

John sees himself back in the Battle Creek library, innocently shelving books away, at the same time pocketing a few "good ones" to borrow for a few days. A perk of the job he thinks to himself.

Then, his mind making sure to put him in a truely happy place so he can forget about the days events, Neil Stephenson and the ghost of Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle come into the library randomly, and...


John is just staring blankly ahead, doing absoultely nothing or responding in any way, seemingly ignoring the large gash on his shoulder.


ST 9
DX 11
IQ 14
HT 9
HP 6
Will 11
Per 14
FP 6
Basic Move 6
Post-Combat shakes.

Wutasumi fucked around with this message at Jul 11, 2007 around 03:33

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rehab
Jul 8, 2005



Mike O'Neill

Mike sits still in the car, the acrid smell of gunsmoke lingering in his nostrils as he struggles to control himself.

Don't cry, don't cry, you're a grown-rear end man, don't loving cry.

His mind can't fully comprehend what's just happened. The horror that seems to have overtaken the world. The thing, the rough beast from his mother's poem, that had chased them, the eyeless freaks that wanted them to see with them, the thing on the back of the car - its almost too much, but he tries hard to remain in control.

He tries to hide his hands from the others so they can't see how much they are shaking.

code:
ST	11	
DX	10	
IQ 	10	
HT 	12	

HP   	10/11	
Will 	10
Per  	10
FP   	8/12

Post-Combat Shakes

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Jacob

Jacob can't believe he made it out of town. Sweat streaming off of him he finaly is able to take a few breaths and to who ever is in the front passenger seat, "Please get that thing out of the car RIGHT NOW!"

He just drives a few minutes until he finds an opening or turn off from the road and pulls over the car. "We need to check the car and decide what to do." Jacob gets out and starts looking over the car.

Jacob will check over the car as others get out or what ever to assess the damage and if anything can be done about it with what they have on hand.

code:
ST:  10    DX: 12
HP: 10     FP: 8
BS:  5.5
Dodge: 8   BM:	5
Mechanic (Automobile) 10

Captain Rehab
Jul 8, 2005



Mike O'Neill

Mike sits on the side of the road as Jacob checks the car, tired in every sense. The only way he can stop thinking about what has happened is by talking, and so he does.

"Guys, the way I see it we've got two options. One, we keep on going to Battle Creek. Two, we head east and try to find those guys."

His hand moves almost involuntarily to the gouges he'd received on his shoulder previously.

"Battle Creek's a good sized place. That could mean there's people there, I mean real loving people, not those eyeless freaks. On the other hand, at the road stop there was one freak, back there there was a dozen and Christ knows what else, so, and correct my lovely math here, that means there could be a loving hell of a lot more in Battle Creek."

He eyes the radio and then looks east.

"Those guys back there, though, I thought the guy in the bookstore said they were military. He wasn't the nicest guy around, but he sure as gently caress didn't look like he was going to gouge me or Markson's eyes out, either. And if they're military, I don't know - maybe Jacob could give them the loving secret soldier's handshake or something? Depending on how much range that radio's got, we might still be able to get them on it."

He stands up and stretches his legs a little.

"Anyway, I've said my piece. I'll go along with whatever you guys want to do, but I'm going to be a hell of a lot more careful about it than I was back there."

Thinking of back there makes him think of Markson, and looking over at him sees the wound on his shoulder.

"gently caress, gimme a look at that, buddy" he says.

First Aid 12, unless somebody with better skill wants to do it.

Can we also assume that the back windshield's blown out from the shotgun blast?

Captain Rehab fucked around with this message at Jul 11, 2007 around 07:00

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


John takes another hit point of damage from bleeding. Mike staunches the bleeding, and between him and Brandon, they will be able to bandage one hit point of damage.

The back windshield of the Taurus is essentially toast save for some broken-up edging glass and frayed wires which had been built into it for the rear defrost system. The tires are essentially bald now, with significantly reduced grip. Dashboard damage has screwed up the A/C pathway to the driver's seat. There has been damage to the suspension--nothing too serious right now, but it can easily become a slippery slope. The trunk has deep gashes where the steel has been peeled up in a series of metal curls. The exposed surface beneath has begun to rust.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Jacob

Jacob pulls out an unused poncho and a roll of ducttape. He sets to work knocking the glass out of the rear window so it at least won't fall on those in the backseat then takes the poncho and tapes it over the opening. He'll use more than just is needed to hold it there trying to make it as strong as possible. He will also cover the holes in the trunklid with ducttape. "Well I don't know how long that will last if we get hit with the acid rain but at least it should give us a few extra moments to find cover."

"From what I can tell we only have about 140 to 150 miles of gas left so we need to come up with a direction or make sure we find some more gas. We also need to find some water and food. I like the idea of at least trying to talk with those guys again so we can get some information. But we have only been out of the bunker a few days. We have no idea if this is isolated or wide spread. I guess in the end we know there are noninfected people to the east but we don't know how friendly. My vote is to try that way."

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004


Evan Douglas

"I agree wholeheartedly, Jacob. We need help. We don't have a clue what those things were back there. All we know is that they were trying to hurt us. So far these military guys, or whatever they are, haven't done that, so I think they're our best bet."

Evan gets out the walkie talkie and starts listening for radio chatter. Tuning it back to the CB frequency they'd spoken to the soldiers on earlier, he says, "This is Evan Douglas of Markson's group, does anyone copy?"

If he can't get anyone on the radio, he'll try to MacGuyver it into the Taurus' antenna to boost the gain.

code:
HP 10/10
Will 13
Per 11
FP 7/10  

15 - Electronics Operation: Comm IQ/Avg
15 - Engineer: Electronics IQ/Hard

Zenaida fucked around with this message at Jul 12, 2007 around 08:25

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Evan attempts to radio the previous frequency, but receives no response, and hears no further radio chatter. Scanning through the frequencies does not produce further signals either.

In an effort to boost the signal gain, Evan works with the Taurus's antenna, albeit with a great deal more difficulty than he originally anticipated. When what he -has- managed is rigged up, no further signals are found even still--and it is brought to attention that the antenna for the Taurus is, at this point, nearly entirely rusted through.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004


Evan Douglas

"Nothing on the radio guys. I guess our only chance is to head East and look for them."

Evan checks the GPS to see what towns lie in the direction the militia types drove off in.

"We need to find some other survivors. Someone who can tell us what these things are and what's going on. I think information is our biggest weakness right now. Food and water would be great, but I think those things will get us before hunger or thirst will. We have to find some way to learn about them."

Thinking about it, Evan digs out the Geiger counter and measures the radiation levels of the bone and the scratches in the trunk, compared with ambient levels.

code:
HP 10/10
Will 13
Per 11
FP 7/10

Zenaida fucked around with this message at Jul 12, 2007 around 08:25

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


The Geiger counter reports a significantly higher radiation level in comparison to the ambient ratings. The GPS unit is somewhat limited in just what it displays, but if the trio of vehicles were heading to the next population center east, it would put them roughly thirty five miles from your present position.

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

REDHEADS WILL BE MY DOWNFALL!

Raymond

Out of curiosity, Raymond seeks further to the east on the GPS unit, looking to see if their might be any manner of military installations in that direction, perhaps the origin of these survivors who seemed to know what they were doing.

"I d-d-d-don't know if we e-even can learn about them. Em-m-mpericism can only be applied to the natural world. Th-th-that thing was n-not natural. It was, w-well, s-something else.

I th-think our primary concern is g-going to be shelter, for now. I-i-if we get caught in another downpour l-like last night, then being t-torn to shreds is the least of our worries."

Wutasumi
Apr 25, 2006

AG: 8ut I was such a confused kid! I didn't know anything a8out what killing really means.

Markson

Markson begins to snap out of his post-combat delusions while he's being bandaged, looking around woozily, semblances of the world returning to him.

"Neil? I can't find Snow Crash anywhere, it's a real shame because I... wait... what... This isn't the library... Oh God... this wasn't a nightmare..." Markson then looks around, attempting to reorient himself, figuring out what's happened since he slipped into his dream-state.

"We need to do something to make us more able to fight... That library dream gave me an idea. I read a bunch of books on castles while in there, and they always had arrow slits. Think we could do something similar so we could fire outside the car while it's raining without risking acid rain getting everyone? That's just a tempoary solution though... the only way we're taking care of something that horrible is if we find a large band of survivors."

Markson then can't find it in himself to act calmly, instead dropping to the ground, muttering to himself, feeling his sanity slowly eroding in the face of this brave new world. Years of reading books havn't prepared him to face real horrors, especially not on this scale.

Oh God, how did things ever get like this... what happened? Was it us? Was it just part of a devine plan? What kind of loving devine plan is this?! I know I didn't do anything to deserve this! Did Brandon?! Did Mike!? What the hell kind of rear end in a top hat would just take a bunch of innocent people and have them face something that looks like what would happen if I frankenstiened a bunch of frankenstiens!

Captain Rehab
Jul 8, 2005



Mike O'Neill

Mike watches Markson for a while, unsure what to do or what to say to him. He wants to give him a reassuring clap on the back, but then Markson will feel how much his own hands are shaking and it might upset him further.

He stares back in the direction of the town they just left.

"Guys, we'd probably better get going. Try to hit that town east of here before it gets dark. We can sort out fortifying the car tomorrow, or better yet find a new one to soup up that isn't as damaged as this. But like Ray said, we'd better find a place to hole up for the night first. You happy to keep driving, Jacob? Seems like you're pretty loving good at it."

As he walks back towards the car he turns to Markson and, seeing his distraught face, says with sincerity, "That's a good idea about the car, buddy. loving castle on wheels, huh? Cool."

------
My posts might be a little few and far between over the next few days because my brother's in town and, well, we're going on a bender. But I'll be back, minus a few braincells.

Captain Rehab fucked around with this message at Jul 12, 2007 around 02:52

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Jacob

"Yea no problem. Anyone familiar with this area that knows the roads to head east so we don't get lost or take a dead end? Can the GPS show us?" Jacob crawls back in the car and waits for someone to tell him which way to go.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Blackbird Dreams - (Chapter 1)

June 21st, 5:21 P.M.

The portable GPS, hardly a photographic aerial view, does not reveal the presence of any particularly private locations as you scan around further areas upon it. It will take a few side roads to get there, but you ought to be able to arrive at where you believe the others went by nightfall.

In the aftermath of the earlier downpour, the road remains groggily slick for quite some time. Silence hangs in the humid air, broken only by the rumble of the Taurus' engine and your own actions. No birdsong, no insects, seemingly nothing else beyond your vehicle's confines.

Some thirty four miles of driving in a little over an hour--not bad time, but the road had been kinder on you than before in this trip. The last vestiges of day are a gloomy overcast, gray dullness hanging in the sky. No sign remains for the city ahead of you now--the main road into the west side of town, however, is blocked off by several police barricades in the gap of a tall brick wall. They appear to have been put into place recently. Scrawled on the nearby wall is "DANGER: STAY AWAY!" accompanied by a slew of posters which have been eroded incomprehensible by the elements.

South a ways a large broad pit has been dug; piled up in the center is an immense mound of charred and blackened corpses, burnt together--there must be at least forty bodies. From where you are, looking into town, you can see larger structures 'downtown', similar to how things had been in Brady Heights. In particular, here, you can see a large Wal-Mart sprawl built further uphill to the north; the entire city seems to have been built along the contour of a valley's floor.

The Taurus remains in driving condition, but will provide a degree of difficulty increase for driving rolls should the need for them arise down the line.

Edit: Ugh, particularly tired right now, excuse some of the formatting here.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at Jul 12, 2007 around 04:00

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.


Brandon Gray

Brandon has been largely quiet since the immediate danger of the attacking creatures from Brady Heights has ceased. Part of it is the fact that the group has started to move into areas of the state with which he is closely familiar, and the gravity of what has taken place in the year they were underground has truly begin to sink in, but mostly it is adrenaline-soaked exhaustion.

He supposed he had a few things to be thankful for. The subterranean humanoid creatures that had attacked the group in Brady Heights had looked and behaved more or less exactly as they had in the nightmare he had experienced the night before. He hadn't experienced shock or even any fear beyond what one might typically experience when facing a dangerous wild animal. Jesus, he thinks to himself, with as much as Raymond used to talk about his nightmares, wouldn't it be ridiculous if mine turned out to be prophetic?

His spirits rise when he catches a glimpse of the massive Wal-Mart in the distance, however. "There's bound to be something left for us in that Wal-Mart, food and water, and possibly even some guns or ammunition scavengers might have overlooked." He begins to massage his temples in a probably futile attempt to stave off a sudden, but thankfully mild, headache. "Let's press on, but carefully. If any of those militia types are still in the town, we don't want to startle them into ambushing us. Or anything else, for that matter."

Wutasumi
Apr 25, 2006

AG: 8ut I was such a confused kid! I didn't know anything a8out what killing really means.

Markson

Markson, still depressed from the days excursions, and shoulder still hurting like hell, perks up a bit upon hearing they'll be entering another city. Sure, the last one was a clusterfuck of infinite proportions, but being without the buildings reminds him of home, which considering how he was treated for years, still manages to strike him as worse.


"Well, last time we got a pretty good warning before the serious stuff went down. Let's all go as a group this time though, I think it'll be less troublesome..."

Markson then looks at his "staff" then his shoulder, and decides to state the obvious.

"I'm going to have trouble with the fine motions of controlling this thing with my shoulder in the pain it is. Could I have the rifle back? After seeing that... thing... (Markson visibly shudders at thinking about it) I'd feel safer with it."


ST 9
DX 11
IQ 14
HT 9
HP 6
Will 11
Per 14
FP 6
Basic Move 6

Wutasumi fucked around with this message at Jul 12, 2007 around 08:56

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004


Evan Douglas

Hearing Markson's ideas on defense, Evan's mind starts working. His eyes glaze over as he starts dreaming up ways to defend the Taurus against all kind of attacks. I wonder if we could get leaded glass somewhere to help resist radiation. Of course, we'd need to shape it to fit the windshield...I'd have to learn glassblowing...

When they reach the town, Evan seems nervous, "I'm not sure about this, guys. That sign gives me a bad feeling. As much as I'd love some bulk Pringles and generic sodas right now, I think we should err on the side of caution. Maybe we should try the radio again?"

code:
HP 10/10
Will 13
Per 11
FP 7/10

Zenaida fucked around with this message at Jul 13, 2007 around 17:02

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Please take a moment to re-check any consumables/munitions which have been expended as a party, to get an idea of current available resources. This city is larger than Brady Heights, but larger portions appear to have been ravaged and demolished.

Scrutiny will note several locations in current sight where small explosions seem to have gone off, with scorching of the nearby concrete surfaces. Little that isn't concrete remains intact for most of the structures nearest to you--it looks more like a miniature warzone at this entrance to town.

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

REDHEADS WILL BE MY DOWNFALL!

Raymond

"I-i-it doesn't look like th-this place is going to be any b-better, gentlemen. Evan's right, we sh-sh-should hit the radio and see if a-anyone is out there in that mess."

He looks out the window, smeared with melted paint from the roof of the car. This place is dead. Just like everything else.

"The only d-d-decent idea I have would be trying to find some undamaged w-water heaters, and restock our d-d-d-drinking supply. Otherwise, I'd b-be happy to leave s-soon."

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Jacob

"Okay where did that big truck go? Do we go through here or try and find another way around?" Jacob takes a drink of the water, "Raymond's right we need to get more water soon. Out in the woods I would try and find a water spring of some kind. Natural sources of water should still be okay since it is being filtered before coming to the surface. In towns it is going to be hard to find water that hasn't gone bad unless we canfind a warehouse or something that hasn't been ransacked."

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

REDHEADS WILL BE MY DOWNFALL!

Raymond

"B-b-but wouldn't this acid r-rain also be able to p-percolate down into the water table? I w-wouldn't trust any external water s-s-supply unless we have the means to t-t-test it, or d-distill it or something to that n-nature."

Looking at the Taurus, he sees that the tread is almost gone on the tears, and what's left looks to have been smeared somewhat. One more rain and the things would probably burst like party balloons.

"B-but we need new t-tires and f-fuel, or a d-different ride, too... W-whats the news on that r-radio?"

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Blackbird Dreams - (Chapter 1)

June 21st, 5:51 P.M.

Above the sky slowly bleeds over into a reddish orange swell, the sun beginning to set off along the western horizon. Soon it will be nightfall, the nature of the 'civilized' sprawl before you up to debate. Then, something most curious draws your collective attentions.

First, you hear a faint noise slowly wafting through the air. It's coming from the Wal-Mart's parking lot. It's... music? Listening more carefully, you can make out a particular 'tried and true' classic playing over the outdoor speakers to the building--'Ave Maria'. And as the sun continues to set, another wonder--there is light coming from the front of the building, aglow behind the entryway from within.

At an intersection again, you catch glimpse of a small cat wandering across the street slowly. A touch startling, at the turn of the hour the bells of the church begin to droll and ring, echoing across the still dusk air. Something is beginning to stir deeper within the city.

The radio crackles to life, but only static emanates.

Wutasumi
Apr 25, 2006

AG: 8ut I was such a confused kid! I didn't know anything a8out what killing really means.

Markson looks around curiously as he hears the music, uncertain at first to what it could possibly be, then, when he realizes it, looks to the others to make sure he's not hallucinating. When he's pretty sure that everyone else is hearing it, looks down at the Wal*Mart.

"..." Markson begins, but his jaws shut as soon as he tries to say something. This is the last thing on the planet he was expecting. A UFO landing on the Tarus couldn't have unsettled him more. John raises his rangefinders to look at the building, absolutely enthralled.

Then the Church bells ring, and snap him out of his enthrallment. He continues looking at the building, but can finally bring himself to speak, even if he is getting pretty choked up.

"There... there's something I was never expecting to hear again. We... we have to check it out. It could be dangerous... but.... goddamn."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Blackbird Dreams - (Chapter 1)

June 21st, 6:01 P.M.

Looking through the range-finder binoculars, John notes something else at the front of the building at Wal-Mart--there is a large, albeit rather sullied looking white banner, in the middle of which is a red cross. Along the face of the building, where shopping carts might ordinarily be stowed, there is the framework for several long tents. Their canopies, however, seem to have been battered by the elements.

The parking lot to the place is a veritable vehicular graveyard--more than a hundred rusted out husks, many of which are in legitimate parking spots, but the bulk of which seem to have been abandoned every-which-way in some long-passed rush. As the static continues to drone over your radios, something very faint crackles and pops in the midst of the white noise. Straining to hear it, you can scarcely make it out.

"...help me..."

Wutasumi
Apr 25, 2006

AG: 8ut I was such a confused kid! I didn't know anything a8out what killing really means.

Markson

"Guys? I think I see the remains of a relief shelter down there. I see a bunch of tents, and a Red Cross banner. I really, really think we should check this out."

When John hears the radio crackle, and the words "help me" come out, he looks to see if he wasn't just hearing things THIS time. Once again, his hearing appears to be validated, and John simply repeats that we should really, really check this out.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Jacob

Jacob begins steering the car to the WalMart parking lot, "I agree Markson, keep your eyes open for.. well anything and lets take a look."

Wutasumi
Apr 25, 2006

AG: 8ut I was such a confused kid! I didn't know anything a8out what killing really means.

Markson

"Glad you agree." Markson begins as the car turns towards the building, Markson reclaims his rifle at this point, and rolls down the window, attempting to figure out a good way to steady the rifle on the open window while at the same time, keeping everyone else fairly comfortable, and giving himself a decent view.

"God I hope this dosn't turn out like the last town. At least it's not raining. We can acctually easily shoot back." At the idea of shooting one of those... monstrosities, Markson begins sweating, and closing his eyes for a moment.

I can only hope we never run into those things again. Markson thinks to himself. Tis only by the greatest of luck that we got away last time. Hell, even Rasputin couldn't have done much better.


ST 9
DX 11
IQ 14
HT 9
HP 6
Will 11
Per 14
FP 6
Basic Move 6

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Blackbird Dreams - Sordid Soliloquy(Chapter 1)

June 21st, 6:06 P.M.

Ave Maria, Gratia plena

Maneuvering around another broken and scattered roadblock, you begin to navigate the rowed aisles of derelicts. A layer of grime and filth seems to cling to the rusted wrecks up close--as if the rain had done little to cleanse what had been countless tons of automotive assembly. Nearer to the entrance, vehicles have been tightly packed to form a half-circle around the front of the Wal-Mart building; while it had appeared a wild rush from a distance, it becomes clear that someone must have gone out of their way to reposition them this way.

Maria, gratia plena, Maria, gratia plena

Music continues to crackle free from the store's outdoor loudspeakers. One blares drearily on--the quality not particular--from atop the well-rusted lamp post nearest to the Taurus--a small blue box partway up the metal shaft labeling this as the 'B' section of the parking lot. Some one hundred feet away from the building yet, and you're forced to stop the vehicle--several rows of spike strips have been laid out across the parking lot's pavement down this main aisle, a wall of vehicles crammed together three deep to either side. This, it would seem, is someone's sanctuary.

Ave, ave dominus, Dominus tecum

Spread across the hood nearby of what may have been a truck is the sun-dried remains of a woman--what organic mass remains on her has become leathery and dried out. She's dressed in a well-worn business casual attire, and a pair of 'chucks' sharply contrast the rest of her outfit, the laces on one dangling untied and forgotten. Judging by the hole in her blouse and the dark stain around it, she was shot from a distance. Down the aisle, you can spot at two other bodies, one collapsed on the pavement, on their back--another, nestled into a cracked and broken windshield.

Benedicta tu in mulieribus, Et benedictus

Nearer to the building as you are, the static crackling over your radios intensifies. "...please...oh God please...don't leave me..." Over the crest of the entry awning, perched amidst the Wal-Mart letters, more than a dozen blackbirds watch you keenly with dark eyes, all of them abjectly silent. The sun dips lower on the horizon, casting crimson designs across the dusky sky. It's hot, you notice again rather suddenly--sweltering, even. The smell of rust, old rubber, and decay assaults your senses. Behind you, the city appears warped as if a part of a heat mirage. Had the others really come through this city?

Et benedictus fructus ventris, Ventris tuae, Jesus.

The glass has long been removed from the many doors of Wal-Mart's entrance. In its place, chain link covers the openings, intertwined with copious amounts of what appears to be barbed wire. The two center-most doors are wedged open, and dozens of shopping carts are strewn about filled with large lumpy garbage bags, torrents of flies whirling and buzzing around them. Stench...enough to turn your stomachs. Not far inside of the building ahead, you can see what look like a series of floodlights setup to keep the interior lit. Power, somehow. Perhaps a generator or two.

Ave Maria



You're hungry, and will need to eat soon, lest your bodies suffer some of the consequences. You're all also down three additional fatigue points, road-weary and exhausted--remember, this is the same day in which you'd dealt with Jack and plenty of other adrenaline-drenching moments. You're worn out.

The triage of vehicles -must- have passed through the city here. I am giving the benefit of the doubt that folks moved the outside barricades in order to drive the Taurus into town--they would not have been hindered from doing so. However, if the others you had seen driving in this direction had passed through, then they must have replaced the barricades after passing. They may have had something to do with the graffiti outside of town, as it looked fairly recent.

I will preemptively note that the Geiger counter clicks softly, slightly above-average radiation levels near the Wal-Mart.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Jacob

Warily Jacob approaches the building, "Hello? Is anyone around? HELLO?" Jacob keeps his eyes scanning including the roof line as they approach. Whispering, "Keep the weapons low so we don't look agressive."

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004


Evan Douglas

"Hold on a minute guys, I'm getting something here."

Evan speaks into the radio saying, "What is your position? Are you inside?"

As they approach the store, Evan notes the Geiger counter's elevated readings. "Radiation's a bit higher here. Could mean more of those things, they seem to be radioactive, based on the bone that clipped John."

Evan's stomach growls audibly and he says, "It might be worth the risk though, just to get a roof over our head and for the chance of some decent food. They've got the power on. Somebody must be maintaining that, and I don't think anyone in Jack's condition would be capable."

code:
HP 10/10
Will 13
Per 11
FP 4/10

Zenaida fucked around with this message at Jul 13, 2007 around 23:25

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


There is no response to Jacob's yelled inquiries inside, though his voice does echo for a short ways. Some of the blackbirds shift positions and ruffle feathers as they re-seat themselves above.

"..someone's th*static*? Hello?! Hel*static*u've got to *static* Please!"

"I'm held" In the background, you heart metal hinges shriek "NO!" the sound of a loud drill fires up, and the radio cuts out to nothing but static once more.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Jacob

Jacob begins moving more quickly towards the doorway. He will look at the junk blocking the front doors and try to figure out the easiest way to gain entrance. Once he has an idea he will put on the leather gloves and start dismantling the blockade. "The signal is getting clearer, it's gota be close by. Help me with this."

code:
ST:  10    DX: 12
HP: 10     FP: 7
BS:  5.5
Dodge: 8   BM:	5
 Forced Entry: 13

Tindjin fucked around with this message at Jul 13, 2007 around 19:43

Wutasumi
Apr 25, 2006

AG: 8ut I was such a confused kid! I didn't know anything a8out what killing really means.

Markson

"On it" Markson replies, attempting to help out with the movement, but knowing that he's not very strong, and thus probably not too helpful. "I hope we arn't too late. It sounds like a survivor suddenly snapped or something."

ST 9
DX 11
IQ 14
HT 9
HP 6
Will 11
Per 14
FP 6
Basic Move 6

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

REDHEADS WILL BE MY DOWNFALL!

Raymond

Seeing the multitute of dead bodies during their approach leaves Raymond distant, withdrawn in a world of his own, too a place of ugliness, but at least one with which he's more familiar, almost comfortable at this point. A memory of something seen years ago returns to himas the vehicle approaches the Wal-Mart, a special on the Discovery Channel, on deep sea life, which had inspired a nighmare, and a short story.

The Angler Fish uses light to attract and mesmorize its prey, visible from a great distance in the blackness of the abyss. Small fish are drawn close, before being swallowed in an instant.

And here, in the darkest situation, there seems to be a glimmer of hope. I don't trust it.


"W-w-w-w-w-wait, doesn't it seem suspicious to anyone that this place is s-s-s-s-still in such good sh-sh-shape? H-h-h-how is that spearker w-w-working after b-being outside? W-w-where are those c-c-c-crows c-c-coming from, and h-how are they surviving?

I th-think this p-place is a trap!"

code:
ST: 10  DX: 10
IQ: 12  HT: 10
HP: 10/10  FP: 5/10
Per: 12    Will: 12
BM:5

Pertinent stuff: Necrophobia (12)

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.


Brandon Gray

Brandon lags a bit behind the others, his vision transfixed on the flock of blackbirds sitting on the top of the store, silently watching them. He has a sudden recollection of a blackbird's caw, alerting him to danger, and then the sudden burning pain of his arm being torn from its socket. Of stumbling through the acid rain, slowly bleeding to death, while the blackbirds watched, as if they were saying, you should have listened.

He speaks up suddenly after a long period of silence. "Ray's right. This is loving ridiculous. I can't believe we're even seriously considering going in there after what we've seen. We don't even know if whatever's sending out that radio signal, assuming it isn't some sort of trap, is inside this store."

He looks at the others pleadingly. "We need to just keep going. There has to be easier ways to find food and shelter than this. If the militiamen from earlier passed this place up there's no way in hell we're equipped to handle what's in there. And I know it's going to sound stupid, but these blackbirds," he waves a hand toward the birds perched on top of the Wal-Mart's facade, still staring blankly down at them, "they only show up when something's dangerous. Or that's the way it seems to me. And there's a lot of them there. We need to just get the hell out of here, move the rest of the roadblocks out of the way and just move on. If we go in there, we're going to die, I can feel it."

code:
HP: 10/10
FP: 9/12
Will 12 / Perception 12

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Jacob

Jacob loses it. Throwing the part of a shopping cart he was pulling off the pile into the wall nearby. "What do we do then? Tell me. Right now finding food and going back to the bunker and locking myself back inside for another year is about the only thing I can think of. Today has completely loving sucked. From finding out that the rain I used to love walking through will now kill us to seeing what looks like zombies and worse walking around and to top it all off having to put Reggie down, what exactly should we do then?" Jacob isn't approaching anyone or acting threatening but his tone is on the edge of either being screams or breaking altogether.

"All day it's been, lets do this, no this, back and forth. There has been no time to think or even contimplate what the hell is going on. We have a building here that has electricity and maybe someone that we can talk to, or it's a big trap. Do we leave with hopes of finding someplace else to stay the night? I'm done, just done." Jacob takes off the leather gloves stalking back to the car and leans against the hood.

"Well what the hell do you people want to do. We cannot keep wasting resources and energy like this. Lets make some kind of plan and follow through with it. We need food and water, there is no doubt there. Other than bottled water or maybe the idea of water from some hot water heaters I'm not sure where we are going to find a source in the city that isn't contaminated. Food? Maybe find a regular neighborhood and start ransacking houses hoping people left things behind that would keep for a year. What ideas do you guys have because we need to pull together and do something."

If at anytime the voice comes over the radio again Jacob will yell at it to shut the hell up, not actually getting the radio but just yelling at the transmission itself.

code:
IQ: 10
Per: 14
Scrounging: 16
Urban Survival: 14

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.


Brandon

Brandon holds his hands up defensively. "You've got to calm down, man. We've all been through a lot, and you more than any of us. But we can't just go running off doing insanely dangerous poo poo just because we don't really have a plan."

"Look, I'm not trying to boss anyone around here. I just don't want any of us to get killed. Already we've been in some incredibly dangerous situations, and it's likely that the only reason none of us have died so far is luck. We just have to be more careful."

Brandon hesitates for a second. "I'll head in there if everyone else decides to. And I mean, I guess you're right. This is the first sign we've seen of electricity. I guess we have to investigate it. But I'm telling you, this place is extremely dangerous. I can loving feel it. We need to just take it slow. If we move into here, let's do it cautiously. If there's booby traps in here or some other kind of hosed up creatures, we can't afford to let it get the drop on us."

"One way or the other, once we've found out what's going on here or decided to leave, I agree, we need to sit down and decide as a group what we're trying to do here, beyond just surviving."

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004


Evan Douglas

"I don't think we can do much beyond just surviving right now. What we need to figure out is how to do that. We need food and water for sure, better yet a steady supply of both. After that we need to find out what the hell is going on. The world seems to have changed a helluva lot since we went in, and I don't think we're going to stand much chance unless we can find someone to explain to us what those changes are and how to survive them."

code:
HP 10/10
Will 13
Per 11
FP 4/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Jacob

"Okay sorry about that, it is just so drat frustrating. What about the idea of finding a housing development and seeing if we can scavenge some supplies from there? I think in the panic people may have concentrated on the stores and maybe left houses pretty much alone. Plus that would give us hopefully a bed to sleep in and garage to keep the car."

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«529 »