Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I might put some sort of platform up there to better protect his feet. Like a piece of plywood or cutting board or whatever under the blanket material

Is the cage structurally sound for him to clamber up there and lounge? Maybe put a little bed or hut up there for him to chill in. Idk

Thumbtacks posted:

i feel like if they land on their feet rabbits are designed to deal with falls far higher than six feet so im sure he would have been fine, but still yeah i have no idea what the plan was

Somewhat correct, but they can still break and damage limbs/digits, stress connective tissue and muscles, etc by landing wrong or on the wrong surface. Same as any other mammal.

I’ve also seen rabbits faceplant out of people’s arms and suffer facial/cranial injuries, and spinal/pelvic injuries from landing hard and cartwheeling over topside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
It's well put together and can hold the weight, plus that tile distributes the heavy things well. It's not difficult for him to get up there so there's no worry that he'll not be able to make it up or anything. it's all the same kind of wire so there are some gaps but they're smaller than his feet so his feet won't get caught, plus i triple layered blankets so he doesn't even stress the wire. if it seems like it's a problem i might get a thin sheet of something, maybe linoleum idk, put it up there so he has space. honestly putting a bed up there isn't a bad idea, i might consider doing that.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I was eating salt and vinegar chips and one of my rabbits came up and sniffed my hand. He then turned around and ran like he’d seen a ghost. I had no idea they hated the smell of vinegar so much.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Deadite posted:

I was eating salt and vinegar chips and one of my rabbits came up and sniffed my hand. He then turned around and ran like he’d seen a ghost. I had no idea they hated the smell of vinegar so much.

I used to spray it on the exposed wood of the big $650 Leith cage to keep the three knuckleheads from eating it.

Bad, bad material to make a cage out of. But metal’s so fugly, heavy, and expensive.

Were I ever to do it again I’d fabricate my own out of metal tho.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Lil hates all cooking smells, especially garlic and onion. She thumps the whole time, it's irritating as poo poo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Thump back

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Our rabbits freak out if we cook lamb. Anything else is fine, any other meat is fine, but we made lamb meatballs twice and they lost their stupid little minds.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

This little furry demon, when presented with a garden full of lettuce, clover, parsley and other tasty delights, made a beeline for my $30 plant and ate it in 10 minutes

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Rabbits don't have opposable digits, so Harriet has to find other ways of flipping you off.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

That's the total philosophy behind Harriet's actions in life. At least she loves my wife more than me and is super well behaved with her.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Crossposting myself from the Herp/Reptile Thread

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is there a Pet Island/Heavy Petting discord lifeboat? Goons in the fish thread were posting other fish/tank forums and discussing their merits, and I figured it might be worth making one if we don't already have it

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I know GWS has a discord so I'ma ssuming if one doesn't already exist it probably will soon.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

There's a bunch of Discords floating around yeah. If anyone is interested I can link a very chill one that's already welcoming a lot of refugees while we settle the current situation. (disclosure: it's full of birds)

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Someone in a discord I'm in made an emoji of my bun.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

So yesterday I decided to go to a rabbit shelter and try and bond my rabbit. They had 5 (female) rabbits that were potential candidates and he beat the poo poo out of each one of them (pulled tufts of fur out of each one when they were put in the enclosure).

I'm guessing there was a better method of seeing which bun was a likely candidate than simply putting them into the enclosure? Or is my bun just an rear end in a top hat who doesn't want company?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
thats pretty much the only way to do it as far as i know

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I am not good at bonding, but putting both rabbits in a totally neutral space is key, and it sounds like that is not what was done.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
it does sound like he was convinced it was his space but im not sure there's a better way to deal with that tbh

i know when we adopted ajax they had us put him in a bigger enclosure so we could sit down and hang out with him and he completely ignored us and started picking a fight with the litter box because it smelled like other rabbits, and once we took that out he was basically fine. there might have been something with the space they used where he felt either threatened or possessive, hard to say. the shelter's the one that hosed up there probably.

i've thought about getting a bonded mate for him because it would be nice to have a rabbit in the house that isn't insane and tempermental but also i dont want to go through the process of finding a good one because i know how he is and he's 100% not going to share ANYTHING with another rabbit

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

The woman set up an exercise pen and let Aemon (our rabbit) chill out after the drive. Then she put in each rabbit and he basically chased and attacked each one.

One of the lops was able to chill with him for 5 or so minutes and then she went over to him and he attacked her.

I'm not sure if he was just stressed out from the drive (he was shaking the whole trip over and back) and that made things worse or the female rabbits they had were just not a good fit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Bonding, as I know it, is not a one-and-done process that’s over in a day.

Jareth and Spock were fine in the rescue’s neutral space and then Jareth got aggressive once they were cohabitating.

Bonding takes multiple weeks of slowly breaking down a rabbit’s apprehensions. Also you might need to try some force bonding, but that’s a somewhat controversial topic and left for another day.

It’s very hard to tell if a pair is a “good fit” from their interactions at the shelter. Yes, you’re mostly determining that they won’t attack each other outright (which your bun seems to have failed) but like you mention, it’s hardly a fair assessment.

Lots of rabbits will be scared and angry and on edge in that environment. There’s a school of thought in rabbit bonding that says that you should pick a rabbit that works well with you, the human, and whose personality you think will work well in your arrangement. Then bring it home, and then work on bonding it with your existing bun.

However that school also generally contends that some attempted pairings will just never optimally work out and that some rabbits just don’t do well with bonding for any number of reasons, or that you might need to try a couple of suitors.

That’s obviously very difficult to do if you’re not in your rescue’s inner circle/foster pool, as trying rabbits in your home and then bringing them back weeks later is generally frowned upon for your average adopter. But many rescues are also happy to try it if it means also temporarily offloading some of their rabbits with the potential for one to end up in a forever home.

Tldr- get the rabbit that you want for you, Shinji! Then work on slowly and gently bonding them with Ajax. They may need a long time (like 2-3+ weeks) of scent acclimation and cage swaps and supervised time together for him to chill the gently caress out. But also it might not work out and you should work with a rescue that will let you return the bun in 1-2 months if it becomes intractable and you’re not ok with having two separate rabbit tenants.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 1, 2020

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
My boy Carrots.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

BAE OF PIGS posted:

My boy Carrots.

That is an adorable rabbit.

Is anyone else's rabbit not particularly bothered by fireworks? People have been popping them off lately and Ms. Pepper doesn't seem to give much of a poo poo. I was worried because I've heard horror stories from other people with pets, but thunder/fireworks don't seem to evoke much of a response at all.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

JerikTelorian posted:

Is anyone else's rabbit not particularly bothered by fireworks? People have been popping them off lately and Ms. Pepper doesn't seem to give much of a poo poo. I was worried because I've heard horror stories from other people with pets, but thunder/fireworks don't seem to evoke much of a response at all.

Thanks. He's a cutie, when he's not being terrible.

Carrots doesn't seem to be bothered by much of anything like that. He's pretty fine with loud noises. My last rabbit never had an issue with them either.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

JerikTelorian posted:

My old trio used to thump at them, but they also spent a year living by what became an active construction site, so they got very used to thumping back at loud boomy poo poo

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Is anyone else following the news about RHDV2 (rabbit hemmorrhagic virus)? Fortunately, there are no reported cases in VA yet, but that also means that it's not legal to import the vaccine.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
We’re planning a long car ride tomorrow and I’m a little worried about how Ajax will do. We have a decently sized carrier and I think he’ll be fine but I know extreme stress is the biggest factor of stasis and I don’t want to literally kill him from the car ride

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Update: he was a very good boy. He didn’t stress much at all, he drank water when we gave it to him but otherwise he mainly slept and shot me death glares. Now he has a new house to explore for a week and he seems to be enjoying it, he’s finally learning how stairs work which is worrying.

Here he is with his angry hat from his temper tantrum when he realized he was in a cage.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

Update: he was a very good boy. He didn’t stress much at all, he drank water when we gave it to him but otherwise he mainly slept and shot me death glares. Now he has a new house to explore for a week and he seems to be enjoying it, he’s finally learning how stairs work which is worrying.

Here he is with his angry hat from his temper tantrum when he realized he was in a cage.

rad!

I was gonna say give him lots of treats, but then you often end up with a grumpy bun who also has diarrhea.

Lots of hay and a tiny bowl of pellets is good road food tho.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
He wouldn't drink water for a while so i would just soak lettuce in cold water and make him eat it and that was fine, but even if he didn't eat or drink it's only six hours so it's not the worst thing in the world. He spent last night running around chinning and stomping at various furniture (probably because my family's dogs were here a few months ago and he might still smell them) but this morning he resumed his usual activity of annoying us while we try to work and then flopping in the kitchen because the tiles are cooler. The only thing that kind of sucks is that this is a cabin in the mountains so there's no A/C because it usually doesn't get too hot up here, but it's been like 80ish the last few days. I've made sure he has lots of water and put a frozen water bottle in his cage but it's only that hot for a few hours so he's fine. he sleeps most of the day anyway.

this is also his first encounter with stairs and i don't think he likes them. he's at odds with his natural desire to be high up to see things, and his desire to not get stuck somewhere high up. he's doing great though, i'm very proud of him.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

He wouldn't drink water for a while so i would just soak lettuce in cold water and make him eat it and that was fine, but even if he didn't eat or drink it's only six hours so it's not the worst thing in the world. He spent last night running around chinning and stomping at various furniture (probably because my family's dogs were here a few months ago and he might still smell them) but this morning he resumed his usual activity of annoying us while we try to work and then flopping in the kitchen because the tiles are cooler. The only thing that kind of sucks is that this is a cabin in the mountains so there's no A/C because it usually doesn't get too hot up here, but it's been like 80ish the last few days. I've made sure he has lots of water and put a frozen water bottle in his cage but it's only that hot for a few hours so he's fine. he sleeps most of the day anyway.

this is also his first encounter with stairs and i don't think he likes them. he's at odds with his natural desire to be high up to see things, and his desire to not get stuck somewhere high up. he's doing great though, i'm very proud of him.

If you can afford it and you’re gonna be there a long time every year/often, make the investment and get something like a Pinguino. There’s a bunch of different sizes at churchCostco last I saw.

Yes portable A/Cs are crap compared to central or window for efficiency, but if it’s a cabin that isn’t permanently occupied then I could see the benefit of having something that only gets wheeled out for a few weeks every summer, maybe just in a room or part of the cabin, and then goes into a closet when you leave and you lock up.

Makes all the difference for the fuzzbutts. Domestic buns aren’t made for climate change.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you can afford it and you’re gonna be there a long time every year/often, make the investment and get something like a Pinguino. There’s a bunch of different sizes at churchCostco last I saw.

Yes portable A/Cs are crap compared to central or window for efficiency, but if it’s a cabin that isn’t permanently occupied then I could see the benefit of having something that only gets wheeled out for a few weeks every summer, maybe just in a room or part of the cabin, and then goes into a closet when you leave and you lock up.

Makes all the difference for the fuzzbutts. Domestic buns aren’t made for climate change.

We're only here for like eight more days, which was also some of my hesitation in coming because I dont think he's going to enjoy a new location for a week and then going right back home, but we didn't want to board him so whatever. He's fine, he'll manage.

We have a box fan that's across the room pointed at a corner of his cage so if he wants the air he can have it, that seems to help a bit too.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That being said I'm definitely going to just go get a portable AC tomorrow because the temperature is going to spike a LOT and I don't want to deal with that, we've already had him nearly overheat once when our AC broke. Granted, we lived in the desert and it was like 100 in our house. But still.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

That being said I'm definitely going to just go get a portable AC tomorrow because the temperature is going to spike a LOT and I don't want to deal with that, we've already had him nearly overheat once when our AC broke. Granted, we lived in the desert and it was like 100 in our house. But still.

Eh, is it a family-owned place? Consider it a gift to the family for letting you stay. Also a gift to the rabbit and yourselves. If you end up dropping $200 on an A/C it’s the cost of 2 nights in an Airbnb or 2-star hotel where a/c would be expected to be included.

My extended family has a vacation condo between like 5 family units and the tradition has always been to purchase a small upgrade (kitchen item, tv, Bluetooth speaker, anything to make the place more livable, my parents recently replaced the mattresses for the first time in 3 decades) every year that you go

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Yeah, that’s not a terrible idea. I’m going to pick one up today, I think.

He almost bit me this morning when I let him out if his cage so I think there’s clearly something he doesn’t like about where it is. Maybe there’s a breeze, idk. I keep second guessing bringing him here but he’s already here and also he flopped a bunch yesterday so I guess he’s happy

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

Yeah, that’s not a terrible idea. I’m going to pick one up today, I think.

He almost bit me this morning when I let him out if his cage so I think there’s clearly something he doesn’t like about where it is. Maybe there’s a breeze, idk. I keep second guessing bringing him here but he’s already here and also he flopped a bunch yesterday so I guess he’s happy

Get him $10 worth of whole-head lettuce (I like the cheap Costco 5-packs) and other veg at Costco when you get the A/C. Give him lots of water in a bowl if possible (I hate bottles, tbh- I always used a $15 reservoir bowl and the rabs loooved it and drank 100% more water and got 100% fewer bowel issues), he’ll want that regardless of temp if he’s stressed (as all travelers do, everybody gets hella dehydrated when they travel), but the fresh veg will add lots of necessary water, calories, nutrition like vitamins, enrichment (for bonus get it nice and wet but maybe put it on a piece of cardboard or plate or whatever so it doesn’t get super dirty).

Advice for future travel- bring something that smells like home (litter, blanket, hide, cardboard castle, box, cardboard sheets/cut up box, etc) for him to get comfy with in the new/temp space.

It can be as simple as a box or piece of blanket that he plays in for a few days/weeks before the trip. You can then also cut up some of the cardboard to line his cage (or blanket, if he doesn’t eat it) during the ride for comfort too.

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008

:)

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
we caught him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYx_X0j02WA

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Flashing my buns.

https://youtu.be/gqfV9EofEsY

Halloween Jack