Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Adorable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Harriet has a big bald spot on her back. Also she's always limping now thanks to the arthritis. I'm worried about her and i think her time is near. She's an old girl.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harriet has a big bald spot on her back. Also she's always limping now thanks to the arthritis. I'm worried about her and i think her time is near. She's an old girl.

All that's left is to transplant her brain into a robot body so she is finally physically able to put her evil schemes into motion. Think what she could do with opposable thumbs.

All joking aside, that's rough man. How old is she now? Lil is probably about 5 or 6 and I know they can live a lot longer than that but I also know that her risk of just spontaneously kicking off gets higher every year now.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

RichterIX posted:

All that's left is to transplant her brain into a robot body so she is finally physically able to put her evil schemes into motion. Think what she could do with opposable thumbs.

All joking aside, that's rough man. How old is she now? Lil is probably about 5 or 6 and I know they can live a lot longer than that but I also know that her risk of just spontaneously kicking off gets higher every year now.

Man if i could i would. Keep my fluff forever.

She's about 9 years old now

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bunnyofdoom posted:

Man if i could i would. Keep my fluff forever.

She's about 9 years old now

She seems the type to keep living into a grand old age out of sheer spite to me.

:ohdear:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

The tiny dumb idiot contracted stasis again and had to spend a week at the clinic.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Anyone have any tips on finding a vet willing to do in home euthanasia for a rabbit? I didn't expect it to be this hard to find someone. Trying to get this ironed out before things get dire.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

When I was waking my dog I spotted this solid black bunny that looked like someone it dumped on the side of the road. I tried to get a hold of it by slowly approaching but it wouldn't let me get within 3 feet. Does anyone know of a rabbit rescue in the Charlotte area that would come trap it safely? Its been hanging out at this corner for about a day now

Edit: I've tried looking for rabbit focused reacues here, the closest ones were either hours away or not answering their phones. Left a couple messages, asked my local vet whos about a tenth of a mile from the bunny and a different vet if they knew of a reacue to come get it they had no ideas. Would animal control come out to get it as a last resort?

Stravag fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 15, 2020

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Go out and sit down near it for an hour or so, lure it with some fruit, take a pet carrier with you and stuff it in that. It will bite and claw you. Make sure to get it on the first try. Domesticated rabbits are dead meat outdoors, you are absolutely doing it a favor.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I managed to touch it tonight, hopefully tomorrow it will let me grab it. Dont have a pet carrier so Ill have to figure out something with a plastic tote or cardboard box or something

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://giant.gfycat.com/WigglyValuableCatfish.mp4

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Stravag posted:

I managed to touch it tonight, hopefully tomorrow it will let me grab it. Dont have a pet carrier so Ill have to figure out something with a plastic tote or cardboard box or something

I once spent a couple of hours chasing an escaped bunny down my street. (Coming back from work so wearing a full suit and tie) It was past 10pm so not too busy fortunately. :shobon:

You can try and lure it with fruits or some fragrant greens like dill or fennel but ultimately it’s unlikely it will just let you grab it easily, even if this one seems docile. A big cardboard box is a good option, if the bunny is hopping away from you you can try to slowly corner it to put it in the box.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

The key to catching a bunny is do not chase it. If you chase it, it runs. Domestics are already used to humans, you make the rabbit come to you. That's why I say sit down and lure with deliciousness and the promise of pettins. Pet the bun head, don't just immediately go for the pickup. Let it get close to you a few times. You only get one shot at the pickup, so you have to be patient.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah chasing was probably not the right word. (ESL) Running after a bun is indeed counterproductive.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Oh, my bad. :shobon:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I do think you’re asking for trouble if you don’t have a carrier.

Also most domestic rabbits are microchipped so a vet should be able to figure out who the owner is. Also what’s your plan once you yoink it? Can’t keep it in a carrier forever.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Thumbtacks posted:

Also most domestic rabbits are microchipped so a vet should be able to figure out who the owner is.

This is definitely not true in my neck of the woods, and we have a really strong rabbit rescue/foster network here.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ikea sells these collapsible carriers that are easy to keep in your trunk in case of emergency.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

Anyone have any tips on finding a vet willing to do in home euthanasia for a rabbit? I didn't expect it to be this hard to find someone. Trying to get this ironed out before things get dire.

:sigh: judging by the lack of responses I guess the answer is no. Their is a service for home euthanasia around here but their vet isn't comfortable with rabbits. Getting a little desperate.

edit: Local HRS chapter was no help either

edit#2: There is nothing my rabbit has communicated to me more than he does not like being picked up or handled or put in a carrier or otherwise bothered. I was really hoping to be able to get him euthanized at home but it's starting to look like that's not in the cards :(

RICKON WALNUTSBANE fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 16, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

:sigh: judging by the lack of responses I guess the answer is no. Their is a service for home euthanasia around here but their vet isn't comfortable with rabbits. Getting a little desperate.

edit: Local HRS chapter was no help either

edit#2: There is nothing my rabbit has communicated to me more than he does not like being picked up or handled or put in a carrier or otherwise bothered. I was really hoping to be able to get him euthanized at home but it's starting to look like that's not in the cards :(

Why does your rabbit need to be euthanized, if you don’t mind me asking?

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

Why does your rabbit need to be euthanized, if you don’t mind me asking?

He's at least 9 years old and was just diagnosed with giant cell sarcoma that's destroying one of his hind legs. He also has a chest mass (thymoma vs other cancer) that's probably a separate process. If it was one thing or the other I would be willing to do amputation or radiation but I don't think he would tolerate either very well and the vet said at best I would get another year out of him. He's still eating & drinking normally and getting himself around including to his litter box. He was diagnosed with arthritis in that limb about a year ago so the limp was "normal" for him until I found the changes in his foot last week, the diagnostic cascade followed.

The first vet said it would be reasonable to euthanize him immediately. It was probably selfish but I couldn't agree. He still likes to explore my apartment and lounge around like normal :(

If I thought he was acutely in pain I would of course take him somewhere to be put down but as it stands I'd be thrilled to throw money at some vet to come to my place to do it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

He's at least 9 years old and was just diagnosed with giant cell sarcoma that's destroying one of his hind legs. He also has a chest mass (thymoma vs other cancer) that's probably a separate process. If it was one thing or the other I would be willing to do amputation or radiation but I don't think he would tolerate either very well and the vet said at best I would get another year out of him. He's still eating & drinking normally and getting himself around including to his litter box. He was diagnosed with arthritis in that limb about a year ago so the limp was "normal" for him until I found the changes in his foot last week, the diagnostic cascade followed.

The first vet said it would be reasonable to euthanize him immediately. It was probably selfish but I couldn't agree. He still likes to explore my apartment and lounge around like normal :(

If I thought he was acutely in pain I would of course take him somewhere to be put down but as it stands I'd be thrilled to throw money at some vet to come to my place to do it.

I’m sorry your little dude is going through that.

Definitely don’t do anything invasive, imo. From experience, he wouldn’t understand it and it would probably traumatize him for whatever time he’d have left if he pulled through.

Can you get him painkillers, or would that require a vet visit? Does he have a scrip from when he got diagnosed? Can you get in touch with that vet and see if you can get him some good rabbit hospice drugs?

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

He's getting daily PO meloxicam from me which itself is kind of traumatic (not kidding about him not wanting to be bothered) but I figure is necessary. I just don't know how many more "good" days he has left. Going to see if I can offer to compensate the Lap of Love vet for the time they would need to spend reading about rabbits to be comfortable before euthanizing him. There's also one mobile vet in my area I haven't heard from yet but I'm not holding my breath. I'm happy to spend a lot of money on this but no one will let me.

Edit: I wonder if one of the vets who are offering in-clinic euthanasia would let me premedicate him at home before bringing him in. I'm comfortable giving him subcutaneous injections, the first vet sent me home w/ a few days of subcutaneous buprenorphine. Maybe that's my best option.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 16, 2020

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

He got PO buprenorphine before being euthanized in the vet's office this morning. Good but my sweet, grumpy bunny. I'm sorry I couldn't do more for you.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

He got PO buprenorphine before being euthanized in the vet's office this morning. Good but my sweet, grumpy bunny. I'm sorry I couldn't do more for you.

I’m really sorry for your loss. It sounds like you did plenty, and certainly more than most could or would.

He was able to grow old and receive ongoing medical support during his illness, and then was given an exit ramp when things got too bad. Better than most humans get. Be proud of yourself that you did right by him.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Someone deployed a trap for the bunny so i dumped the treats i had bought to try and lure it to me into the back of the trap. Bunny should be in a new home soon hopefully

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Stravag posted:

Someone deployed a trap for the bunny so i dumped the treats i had bought to try and lure it to me into the back of the trap. Bunny should be in a new home soon hopefully

I hope your neighbor enjoys the raccoon that you will inevitably catch in that trap

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m really sorry for your loss. It sounds like you did plenty, and certainly more than most could or would.

He was able to grow old and receive ongoing medical support during his illness, and then was given an exit ramp when things got too bad. Better than most humans get. Be proud of yourself that you did right by him.

I regret not doing it sooner. I was selfish but I can't take it back. I swore he would be my last one but now there's a rabbit-sized hole in my heart and I'm getting tempted to jump back in.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I would say give it some time, but I am definitely not speaking from experience. I got Sidney, like, two weeks or less after I lost Tobias. It worked out, though, he's the sweetest bun.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I thought I loved my rabbit but she has suddenly started "grooming" my beard and I now would give her however many years of my life it would take to make it so that we died at the exact same time

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
from a purely technical standpoint that's entirely possible although it will be unpleasant for both of you

we have to board ajax for almost a month in october and not only is it like $25/day at the only place we feel comfortable boarding him, there's apparently a rabbit murder disease going around in southern california so i need to get him vaccinated first. he's nothing but trouble, i swear

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, don't risk RHV.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just got home from the vet. Bad news, she has sciatica. Good news, we caught it early enough, hasn't been muscle loss, have been given a new medication for her, a series of exercises and massages, and a follow up in a week.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Took the rabbits outside for a brushing and was able to get a rare in-focus shot of them

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Got him his vaccine, he's a grumpy boy but otherwise he's doing great.

He's somehow managed to EXACTLY maintain his weight down to the decimal point since the last time he had a checkup at that location which was like November. I have no idea how but clearly I'm doing things correctly.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Abject terror weekend for me. When I got home Friday night Pepper was hiding in a box and wasn't terribly interested in coming out; her ears were awfully cold too. I even shook a treat bag and she wasn't very enthusiastic (she usually tries to climb me to get to the bag) and when she took the treat she just dropped it. I tried all sorts of food: dandelion, pellets, alfalfa hay, oat hay, timothy hay, carrot sticks, treats, you name it, but no interest. I eventually got her to nibble an Oxbow Cranberry treat, but she only ate about 1/3 of it. I ended up giving her about 0.6mL of 20mg/mL oral children's simethicone and while she didn't love the process she eventually licked it down. It was really hard to keep hold of her but I was able to massage her abdomen for about 7 minute before she bolted. I did grab some fresh poops from Friday night and there was a bit of brownish mucus, but that seemed to be gone in later poops.

Fortunately by morning she ate most of what I left laying out and when I gave her a new treat she gobbled it down like her usual self; she then had a nice breakfast of some fresh greens and ate lots of the timothy hay I had laid out for her. When I called the vet they said it sounded like she rounded the corner, but I've been panicking over every ear twitch since Friday. Has anyone seen a transient event like this? Does it happen every now and again? Could it be a symptom of some underlying condition? Of course it had to happen over a long holiday weekend.

One potential culprit could have been her litter. I had to get a different type than usual; I usually have Yesterday's News or something similar but I had to get a slightly different brand, "Exquisicat" which also has some Zeolite aluminum salts. From some looking it seems that they are generally nontoxic but they are an adsorbent and I wonder if it got her dehydrated which messed things up. When I did see her Friday night she was drinking a lot more than usual. I switched out the litter to the stuff I normally use (finally sound some) and that only has the paper and baking soda. Might be worth steering clear of this litter if you can avoid it.

Anyway, here she is feeling much better (it seems) last night climbing all over the couch, and then this morning lounging in her favorite spot.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I'm glad your bun is doing better!

We use wood pellets for our litter. It's a little tip the people at the humane society told us about; not to use the wood pellet or paper pellet stuff that is designed to be used as litter, but stuff used to be used in wood pellet stoves. It's just plain wood pellets with no additives and it's only like 5 bucks for a 40 pound bag.

Something like this
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/wise-wood-wood-pellet-fuel-40-lb-bag

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That looks WAY too much like food pellets for my comfort, I guarantee those would be eaten instantly.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

JerikTelorian posted:

Bunny tummy issues

I had the same thing happen with Nancy yesterday, except there didn't seem to be any apparent/stand out culprits. She was fine in the morning but come the afternoon when I brought her her salad (which she'll usually sit in the living room waiting for, and then run around/binky when I start getting her pumped), she showed no interest in it, nor some of the dried fruit we give her as treats (she was also cold). After holding her down and force feeding her some Critical Care food mix, reglan, and simethicone, this brought her back quickly, which she demonstrated with finishing her salad that night, and being more curious about everything than usual.

This happened for the first time on March 20th, also with no discernible reason, after being completely fine in the morning and early afternoon, so I assume she just had some gas and her rabbit death prone genes started kicking in to die by fart, judging by the quick recoveries post-meds.

I assume this is the first time you experienced this? I took a similar approach as you did in March, trying to coax her into eating, and didn't force feed her immediately as she was eating (though very little), but I think getting our idiots to just get their digestive systems to start going again with the help of food/meds asap works best the moment you notice they won't accept even their favorite treats (if they're also able to struggle when you try to hold them down, also a good sign probably). I'm told reglan and simethicone is also mild enough that it absolutely can't hurt to give it to a bun immediately upon signs of possible death farts, and seems like they'll recover quick enough if that was the issue to start, so glad Pepper is doing better and hope it's less scary in the future!

Here are some pictures of my idiot, the day of/day before her two incidents:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Honestly it's a relief to hear that someone else has experienced it. It was the first time I've had something like this -- she's about a year and 4 months old (estimated), and I've had her for 11 months or so and we've had no other health issues. Before getting a rabbit I spent a ton of time reading about health and care, so seeing this trigger ultimate panic mode, but I think now having some success and knowing what to look for I'll feel a bit more confident going into the next one.

Nancy is adorable, I'm glad she bounced back too! Boop that snoot.

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I'm glad your bun is doing better!

We use wood pellets for our litter. It's a little tip the people at the humane society told us about; not to use the wood pellet or paper pellet stuff that is designed to be used as litter, but stuff used to be used in wood pellet stoves. It's just plain wood pellets with no additives and it's only like 5 bucks for a 40 pound bag.

Something like this
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/wise-wood-wood-pellet-fuel-40-lb-bag

That's pretty clever, and cheap as hell. Honestly for that price I'll try it just to see how it works. The only thing I'd worry about is if it's softwood, would the oils be a concern if she nibbles them?