Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

You could just get some carpet or carpet tile. Maybe get a second rabbit if you feel like yours isn’t getting adequate enrichment or enjoyment.

To me it seems like the biggest potential benefits to rehoming your bun are the space and the potential of bonding your rabbit to your parents’ rabbit.

Beyond that I just don’t know that I’d ever take a house rabbit outside on trips to the yard enough to make that feature really worthwhile. And if your parents are older are they really going to be taking your rabbit outside every single day for exercise, enough that the rabbit would really get comfortably used to “walkies”?

Any rabbit is going to spend the first five minutes in an unfamiliar wide open expanse like that nervously looking for predators. A novel and enriching environment, to be sure, but make sure that you’re planning this with a/your rabbit’s best interest in mind, and not what you imagine they’d prefer based on how, like, dogs or cats use space.

Plus I find that bonded rabbits tend to move around less/be way less skittish in general. They spend a lot more time grooming/being groomed, paying attention to the other rabbit, waiting for the other rabbit before moving elsewhere, and just generally chilling and lying down with the other rabbit instead of exploring the poo poo out of everything. They become way less dependent on the owner for attention.

Anyway rabbits are like cats, where adding a second one only marginally increases the relative expense and work vs having one.

To answer your question, yes she would have access to the yard every day with the other rabbit so it would make a big difference for her. I’ve also considered adopting a second bun but that seems like a high risk proposition, they may not get along as easily and the lack of proper space would be exacerbated.

I could also move to a nicer place I guess. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Themata posted:

For some feel good, here's pictures of Nancy relaxing, despite how skittish she is:

Also a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFwNBO8gap8
Do you know what breed she is? I love her weird little pattern.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Does everyone's rabbit dig before they flop? Ajax does it 100% of the time.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

FactsAreUseless posted:

Do you know what breed she is? I love her weird little pattern.

Our vet before we moved said she's a Harlequin/white dwarf mix. You can definitely see the former on the black and brown patches on her back. Her ear patterns in particular have almost always been the first thing people comment on when they've seen her/her pictures.

Thumbtacks posted:

Does everyone's rabbit dig before they flop? Ajax does it 100% of the time.

It certainly seems common. Nancy seems to dig to 'break in' a flop spot, sometimes digging it a day or two in advance before eventually flopping, which has helped in predicting when/where it'll happen. Licking after flopping occurs more frequently than digging for her.

edit: also, happy holidays! I turned her into a meme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCrFWL9KjXA

Themata fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 25, 2020

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Eat my rear end, dude, it was clearly a joke

A joke? Oh....

*puts away the friccassee*

I totally knew that

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I will say this on Harriet. Since she met my wife( a month after we started dating) she has mellowed out. She literally has stopped beind so upset. She wants cuddles. She is happy. This is actually how i knew my wife is the one because Harriet loved her from first sniff.

Of course, true to form, today during daily cuddles, Harriet peed on my lap.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
My boy ain't too bright.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPWc7i7crqA

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

What are you talking about? Rabbits love playing with hanging fabric like this. :3:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

What are you talking about? Rabbits love playing with hanging fabric like this. :3:

When we did this for Cilantro, we called it a bunnel.

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008

Sleepy....:keke:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can't give mine a box or they'll never leave it.

Gams

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Is there a shortage on Critical Care? I can't find it in stock anywhere

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Deadite posted:

Is there a shortage on Critical Care? I can't find it in stock anywhere

yes, most of Congress went into GI stasis following the events of last Wednesday

feds commandeered the national commercial supply, per the Congressional Veterinary Drugs Provisioning Act of 2007, in order to keep everybody regular

I hear Dick Durbin goes through as much as a barrel a day, poor guy :(

(check with your local vet offices/clinics, they often have it in stock and can sell it to you OTC/as scrip, esp if they have their own pharmacy)

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
My vet's office ended up having a few bags, but they said it's been hard to get ahold of lately and they were almost out of it too

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bun I love your boops
And I'll miss your boops
But I gotta do the scoops
It's time
It's time
It's time
I'm stealin all your poops.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i dont know what the gently caress ajax's problem is but for the last few days he's been dedicated to trying to put bald spots into the carpet. he keeps oding it, I block his access and he gets angry and goes to do it somewhere else. I hope it's just a phase.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Mine will just randomly try to do that every now and then despite having plenty of stuff to chew on and scratch at.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Thumbtacks posted:

i dont know what the gently caress ajax's problem is but for the last few days he's been dedicated to trying to put bald spots into the carpet. he keeps oding it, I block his access and he gets angry and goes to do it somewhere else. I hope it's just a phase.

It's not uncommon for rabbits to get fixated on this sort of thing. If you keep chasing him off while he's digging he'll eventually stop.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

He’s claimed those spots as good den locations and he will not be deterred. How is his enclosure? Does he have access to it all the time when he’s out? Does he like it/want to go back in if you take him out and let him wander long enough?

One of the arguments for why rabbits fixate on digging in their enclosure is that they feel insecure or unhappy with it (they’re trying to make it bigger and/or more subterranean, or if they’re digging out their litter box it’s because they’re trying to get all of the dirty litter out of their “den”), and when they dig outside of their enclosure it’s because they can’t get back “home” to where they feel safe.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Oh he has free reign over our apartment, he goes where he wants. But in his chosen spots where he spends like 90% of his time he's started ripping carpet up. I bugged him about it enough that he starts getting mad at me when I walk towards him when he's in those spots, but he's stopped ripping carpet up so I consider that a win.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

First post on this site. Our bun is a good boy. That is all.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Justa Dandelion posted:

Proof. :colbert:

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Thumbtacks posted:

Oh he has free reign over our apartment, he goes where he wants. But in his chosen spots where he spends like 90% of his time he's started ripping carpet up. I bugged him about it enough that he starts getting mad at me when I walk towards him when he's in those spots, but he's stopped ripping carpet up so I consider that a win.

Does he have any tunnels (long cardboard boxes) he can use? We have a house that's entirely too big so our little dude has his own room with cardboard tunnels and little nooks he can chill in. That seems to have satisfied his need to be underground. Might also help that his room is half underground with a window he can see above ground out of. He has free access to the rest of the house during the daytime but mostly stays down in his room unless he hears us hanging out, then it's bunny party time.

Idk, maybe give him some little nooks and hiding spaces around his chosen place? Might help.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Justa Dandelion posted:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
YouTube seems to think that I am at least guinea pig-curious with all of my past rabbit and small animal content consumption

I know fuckall about guinea pigs but they appear to be smaller, less mobile, more vocal rabbit-like little dudes, possibly more agreeable and space efficient in a solo living/apartment situation than rabbits have been for me.

Has anybody here ever kept them? My dad used to have them back when he was a kid in South America. His were pets but apparently people would often keep ‘em for food in his neighborhood.

Anyway they’re adorable and if they’re as good as buns or better then I might see guinea pigs in my future.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 11, 2021

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

YouTube seems to think that I am at least guinea pig-curious with all of my past rabbit and small animal content consumption

I know fuckall about guinea pigs but they appear to be smaller, less mobile, more vocal rabbit-like little dudes, possibly more agreeable and space efficient in a solo living/apartment situation than rabbits have been for me.

Has anybody here ever kept them? My dad used to have them back when he was a kid in South America. His were pets but apparently people would often keep ‘em for food in his neighborhood.

Anyway they’re adorable and if they’re as good as buns or better then I might see guinea pigs in my future.

Pigs are definitely adorable. They do tolerate smaller spaces better than rabbits; a big rodent cage is enough for them when alone (assuming you give them some outside exercise too!). They're also big Timothy Hay eaters, so if you have buns you can share that part of their diet. They do need a source of Vitamin C or can get scurvy, so that diet bit is different.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
They're real cute but do they have much personality? I've never seen a guinea pig do anything but stare at me blandly. Of course, I imagine most rabbits would do that to someone they didn't know too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
PI has a thread for miscellaneous rodent pets, including guinea pigs, that you should probably check.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

thanks!

Edit: huh that thread isn't as active or as good as the rabbit thread, guess that's because rats have their own thread. Are guinea pigs really that intellectually uncomplex compared to rats and rabbits (yes, I know that rats are generally thought to be way smarter than buns too. Although quantifying animal intelligence in some simple way is a silly exercise)? They seem pretty interesting in their group dynamics and social behavior.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Thinking about finally getting a dog when we move to a bigger house. I THINK if we get a puppy, Ajax will learn to not be an rear end in a top hat. I hope.

Any thoughts on that? I have no idea how you train a rabbit and dog to hang out without hating each other.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

Thinking about finally getting a dog when we move to a bigger house. I THINK if we get a puppy, Ajax will learn to not be an rear end in a top hat. I hope.

Any thoughts on that? I have no idea how you train a rabbit and dog to hang out without hating each other.

A lot of people ITT (most people?) will tell you that you don’t.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

Prey should not live with predator

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

clear eyes full farts posted:

Prey should not live with predator

to elaborate- the key issue here is that dogs are hardwired to play and become excited/triggered in a way that's fundamentally incompatible with the wiring of rabbits.

Think of how an energized dog reacts to a new individual who makes them happy, now think about how a rabbit is going to react to that. Then think about how a dog with prey drive might respond to that. Even if the dog doesn't wind up chasing and/or mauling your bolting rabbit out of sheer instinct, it could tackle and try to roughhouse with them. Rabbits aren't built to roughhouse on their backs, and they will not consent to it, you've got tons of potential injuries for both animals there.

And even if the dog doesn't physically harm the rabbit, or vice versa, you've got a nervous and scared- and possibly bolting- rabbit. Long term fear is bad enough for the rabbit's quality of life-- there are stories of people who lived above/below/next door to dogs and whose rabbits were constantly on edge because they could smell and hear predators around (plenty of stories of rabbits who got used to it or didn't seem to care/know).

If the rabbit bolts in your home, or worse-- gets chased by the dog-- enough times it'll probably injure itself. Either it'll trip/slip/get a toe caught/fall/crash/etc into items, slippery surfaces, furniture, corners, stairs,etc. They can easily break toes or limbs that way, but I've also heard frequent enough accounts of bolting rabbits breaking their little faces, poking/scratching their eyes, horribly burning themselves getting wedged under working radiators, causing kitchen accidents, and so on.

Don't put an animal that's wired and built to run away in a house with an animal that's wired and built to chase and catch it.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

an excellent post there

our netherland dwarf had a single interaction with a cat that came in through a window, the cat wasn't even chasing but the rabbit bolted and needed emergency treatment to not die from the resulting stress induced gut stasis

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

I've seen / heard stories of it being OK, but I think that situation is very much the exception and not the rule. Like people here are saying, many rabbits bolt if exposed to a predator. Ms. Pepper will actually panic run if I so much as pet a dog because she can smell it on my hands.

Bun tax. Someone here suggested using shredded paper for her digging instincts and let me tell you, Pepper loves the springfill. She loves to dig it out of the box, push it around, throw it all over the place, burrow under it, and jump around it. I got mine from Staples, $20 for a 10lb box and it's been great.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 12, 2021

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Jumping in on the dogs and rabbits talk. We just got our first rabbit last year, but we’ve had dogs forever.

The rabbit gets a large area that is completely cut off from the dogs via puppy play pens.

One of our dogs is a senior and she has massive prey drive whenever the rabbit binkies. Probably impossible to train out.

The other is a 4 year old deaf dog who gets along with everyone. He will lay back to back with the rabbit (fence in between). I’ve also seen the rabbit lick his ears through the puppy play pen fence.
They might have a chance together supervised one day, but I’m not sure I’m willing to risk it.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
that's a pretty good point. i've wanted a corgi forever and i dont think they're exactly predator animals but i can see it potentially being a problem, might just have to wait until after.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

that's a pretty good point. i've wanted a corgi forever and i dont think they're exactly predator animals but i can see it potentially being a problem, might just have to wait until after.

corgis were literally bred to be terriers what are you talking about

like literally born and bred to chase rabbits on sight and drag them out of their nests for the benefit and amusement of their human owners

“hello mister bun bun, how are you this fine morning? Allow me to introduce you to your new roommate, Th’Umbt a’acks. They’re a Jem’Hadar! Now I know what you’re thinking, but I’m not one to judge a book by his cover. I hear they’re quite disciplined, you know—“

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 12, 2021

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
I imagine housing a dog and rabbit together would be like me living with a scolopendrid centipede twice my size. Even if you told me it wouldn't hurt me and other humans lived peacefully with their 10 feet long 4 feet wide scuttlers, my life expectancy would drop several decades just being in the same building.

In similar news, we took Nancy speed dating and she quickly picked a mini rex (renamed Teddy) from the shelter we started volunteering at. Of course upon going home, she immediately decided she wanted him dead, and we're now in the process of working them up to accept each other in (un)familiar territory. We got to where she is less intent on finding ways to bite him through his cage and barriers. Unfortunately for her, his only interest is eating. I know different rabbits take different times to fully show the true extent of their personalities, but he made me realize just how much is going on all the time in Nancy's noggin. She truly has an enriched and complicated world in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I would settle for another rabbit that would let me pick him up and cuddle him but I don't think Ajax would do well with another rabbit, which is why I thought maybe a dog would be better but idk.