Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Halloween Jack posted:

He's eating, drinking, and pooping normally so I haven't given him critical care. The vet didn't prescribe any Metacam either. The trip to the vet, and trying to feed him medicine, is bothering him a lot more than the infection.

I took them both and Bert was crying in the pet carrier :(

Do you give him the meds before/right after feeding? Just trying to think of ways to

1) minimize the number of perceived negative disruptive events in the day

2) distract him with food/reward and couple getting meds to his hedonic reward loop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm sorry about your bun, but it sounds like he will be fine 💖

Ok Comboomer posted:

did he get painkillers? Jareth quickly figured out that narcotics relieved pain and/or were potentially habit-forming when he had a bad ear infection, and became uncharacteristically cooperative WRT undergoing a 3x daily dosing/feeding regimen

Junkie bunny giving me a giggle

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I should have done some reading before I tried it the first time. I'm going to burrito him tonight when I give him his second dose.

He had a sneezing fit earlier but seems alright. He's always sneezed and face-washed more than Bert, but I never saw any discharge around his nose or anything wrong with his mouth and teeth.

He'll be fine. This is just especially upsetting because my rooster, who I raised from an egg, died last Friday.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The easiest method (in my experience) is to get a small little bit of applesauce and mix the syringe into it. I had to syringe feed Ajax pain meds a year or two ago and I found some little resealable applesauce packages and used a tiny bowl and mixed it in and he would always eat all of it immediately.

Then again he hates getting burritoed so that might be a better option if Ernie can do it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Junkie bunny giving me a giggle

a shameful, drug-seeking bun using the people who care about him, a fuzzbutt proving his relationships are merely transactional :3:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Just left the rescue and its kinda sad how worried they are about me picking a bunny to pair Delilah with.

Like, I love the critters, find her the friend that makes both of them happiest. My strong preferences are just the practical ones I mentioned(gotta be big enough to deal with my cat, can't be a super high maintenance model like an angora or toothless), stop worrying.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
worried in what way?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thumbtacks posted:

worried in what way?

oh they seem worried that I am just gonna hate whoever they pair Delilah with, which is unlikely.

Found out today that she was the reason she didn't pair with the french lop I loved :qq:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any kind UK goons here? We are looking to get some new Ice Pods but nowhere in North America sells them anymore. I'd love to pay someone a fee for their time to order like 10 of them from https://scratchandnewton.com/products/ice-pod and send them here to Canada. If this is something you can help out with please let me know :)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I don't know anything about those but they have a lot of cute bunny pictures on the product page

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lots of cute bunnies and one slightly weird looking bunny.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

The Walrus posted:

Are there any kind UK goons here? We are looking to get some new Ice Pods but nowhere in North America sells them anymore. I'd love to pay someone a fee for their time to order like 10 of them from https://scratchandnewton.com/products/ice-pod and send them here to Canada. If this is something you can help out with please let me know :)

I am in Canada too and can I piggyback on this so that Harriet can be appeased?

Also on Harriet note, i bought her one of those fake log things. She has, no joke, been chewing it constantly. I timed her*. She chewed it for 45 minutes straight, took a break, then came back and started chewing again.

*my home office is also the bunny room. So, she is always next to me when I work.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
It's very kind of Harriet to allow you in to her warren. You should be very grateful.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
What’s the longest you guys would drive with your rabbit in a cage in the car with you? We have a fairly large carrier and we do trips that are like 6-8 hours fairly frequently, but we’re looking into moving fairly soon and it’s like 16 hours. Easiest option is 10 then 6, but idk if 10 is too long.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

What’s the longest you guys would drive with your rabbit in a cage in the car with you? We have a fairly large carrier and we do trips that are like 6-8 hours fairly frequently, but we’re looking into moving fairly soon and it’s like 16 hours. Easiest option is 10 then 6, but idk if 10 is too long.

if 8 is fine then 10 is probably fine

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I did not expect the way this bunny shakes her head and charges towards me for attention when she sees me :kimchi:

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.

Thumbtacks posted:

We moved our buns across the country in 10ish hour chunks. Vet told us longer drive for the sake of longer stop (10 drive / 14 stop) was better than stopping a bunch for them to eat and drink. Also prescribed us some emergency meds just in case and told us to get Horse Quencher in case they didn’t want to drink. Went fine all in all.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've never driven more than 6 hours with my rabbits, but there's been a lot of discussion ITT about what to do when you have to move rabbits cross country. Some people carry a portable pen so they can give them some outside time and not keep them in a carrier the whole way. (Personally I wouldn't put my rabbits outside right now due to RHV, but in any case you'll find some advice if you read back.)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I've never driven more than 6 hours with my rabbits, but there's been a lot of discussion ITT about what to do when you have to move rabbits cross country. Some people carry a portable pen so they can give them some outside time and not keep them in a carrier the whole way. (Personally I wouldn't put my rabbits outside right now due to RHV, but in any case you'll find some advice if you read back.)

love to watch my rabbit go into liver failure and bleed to death from its holes thanks to a virus it picked up at the highway rest stop

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
or better yet, it picks up SPV and slowly turns into a Cronenbergian nightmare with giant keratinous horns coming out of its face

rabbits get the best environmental diseases

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
My rabbit keeping has very different goals from all y’all’s so I haven’t posted here historically but I do have experience with RHDV2 so I will share that just for your info. Forgive me if I already shared all of this and forgot.

My rabbits are in an outdoor colony and caught it right after a huge blizzard in March. There were no wild rabbit tracks anywhere near the colony during that time so I think the germs were carried by the local doves or the feral cat that used the drifts to jump over the 6’ fence into the colony. One day I found one dead rabbit, the next day there were 3, and then one was sick, and another, etc. until we lost 7 of the 12. No rabbits bled from the nose. The only symptoms we saw were lethargy and heavy breathing. The 5 remaining rabbits are still healthy and haven’t shown any signs of disease. As far as I know my rabbits are the only domestic case in my county but the next county over has had one also. There have been many, many wild rabbit cases here so the germs are everywhere :(

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i made sure ajax got vaccinated for rhdv2 almost immediately, so i think he's pretty much covered there. also, because he is an rear end in a top hat and impossible to pick up, he does not have "get out of the car" privileges, and just has to sit in his carrier. we give him water and lettuce but he can't get out. it's big enough that he can move around a little bit so it's not torture, but i doubt he particularly enjoys it. i think he can handle 10 hours though.

i've yet to see him go into stasis or refuse to eat or drink so that's a good sign

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I talked to my vet about it again today and she said the research out of CSU is still showing that the vaccine isn’t very effective, so please do take what precautions you can to avoid the virus.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Do you mind telling us what state you're in? I'm just curious because I'm in VA and haven't heard of any cases on the East Coast besides one animal hospital in NY. I'm not taking any chances regardless.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Wyoming.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I know its active here in colorado, but fortunately the shelter I am adopting from vaccinates as a matter of course. I do worry about the wild ones who live in the field outside, but not much I can do about them

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Do you mind telling us what state you're in? I'm just curious because I'm in VA and haven't heard of any cases on the East Coast besides one animal hospital in NY. I'm not taking any chances regardless.

Florida had one in Jan.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Yay! I'm bringing home my bunnies to stay!

Delilah and Dajour

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
My turn for a question: I’m meeting with a breeder this week who produces, among other types, dutches, lionheads, and English spots. I may be getting a rabbit or two through her. Not sure yet.

My previous trio that I had for several years with an ex (they ended up living at her mom’s long term, which was always our “divorce contingency”, and doing quite well, last I heard) included a lionhead and an English spot.

The spot was our original bun that she brought to the relationship, a total sweetheart with an eager stomach and chill, albeit timid, personality. Super good with holding, pats, etc.

The lionhead was essentially the opposite in every way, and aside from the time that he briefly became a junkie as detailed in a post from a few weeks ago, he never really became a particularly warm or relaxed or attention seeking rabbit to humans. That said, he wasn’t bitey or impossible to hold or groom, etc. and he was good with treats, etc. He was also a super close and attentive bondmate. Just way more aloof to humans and much more aggressive and prone to angering/stress by....everything and everybody except maybe his wife.

So anyway—are all lionheads like this? From research and my experience in the hobby and meeting people it seems like lionheads are sort of known for being temperamentally more challenging and less friendly in general. Words like “timid” and “willful” seem to be commonly associated.

However there seems to be some disagreement about whether that’s an inborn breed trait, whether it’s that dwarf breeds are smaller and therefore can become more easily scared/be more sensitive to things like noise/vibration/shadow, or whether it’s a circumstantial thing as a result of lionheads being too cute for their own good.

Jareth The Goblin King and Marfa, his primary bondmate who we adopted with him, were gorgeous for shelter buns and everybody’s hunch was that they’d belonged to a home with kids.

The story I always hear about lionheads is that kids (and lovely adults) find them irresistible which leads to traumatizing experiences, which leads to an aggressive, easily stressed bun. An animal that looks like a stuffed toy is more likely to be grabbed, treated, and coveted like one, etc. Then it eventually gets dumped at a shelter until somebody fosters/adopts it and writes a forum post about their mean lionhead rabbit.

But I also know stories of people who’ve raised babies/had them in good, calm environments and apparently still gotten adult rabbits that were aggressive to them and other buns.

And in this very thread I can’t remember a single lionhead that wasn’t at least jokingly referred to as a “terror” or “evil” or “domineering” or something of that ilk.

In terms of aesthetics, I like the Spot look, but I’d really love to come out of this with a Dutch and maybe a second Dutch or a lionhead (siblings are often sold together in established pairs/trios and she tries to bond individuals of different litters/breeds as well and sell them that way too).

However, I really don’t miss Jareth’s personality and I’d really rather not deliberately increase my chances of having to deal with that kind of situation again if I can avoid it. Ultimately personality trumps look or preference for a particular breed.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 24, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

the lionheads we got at the shelter were usually pretty aloof at best, yeah. I wouldn't say its just a trait, because there were one or two sweethearts. Bambi, the orange and black I may have posted under the name Banana, is a super sweetheart and everyone loves her, and she is twice rescued(we know as far back as someone getting her from a humane society, then abandoning her on their neighbor who just left her in the backyard) so she was a little timid but quickly grew out of it. I had her for 3 weeks and she ended up being put in an end cage because she would run to people and say hi

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

K so, Harriet, of thread fame and infamy, is a lionhead.

Yes she has been aloof and antisocial.

Until my wife entered our lives.

Since then, 4 years ago, she has become super socialable. For instance, today alone, Harriet spent a solid hour in my lap getting pets and cuddles.

It all depends on how you interact and treat them.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Lol what did you post to get that av Electric Bugaloo?

In my experience (2 lionheads) they are either a mix of friendly but aloof or completely evil, and that experience has been 100% young kids free.

I wish she was less terrified of being picked up but I can always just lay on the carpet to play with her. :3:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Lol what did you post to get that av Electric Bugaloo?

In my experience (2 lionheads) they are either a mix of friendly but aloof or completely evil, and that experience has been 100% young kids free.

I wish she was less terrified of being picked up but I can always just lay on the carpet to play with her. :3:

Literally nothing, there’s some secret unhinged D&Der or CSPAMmer who’s been tagging all of their posting enemies with it.

The one post I have on the matter was going after some jabroni who was straight up “both sides”-ing the situation but it would be weird for them to then go and use that Av unless they were like a legit bloodthirsty chud merely trolling, which I didn’t perceive (the post I criticized was more of your bog-standard “centrist” “I agree that what the IDF is doing is bad, but Hamas doesn’t have to retaliate with rockets! That just makes the Palestinians terrorists!” horseshit jive).

My only suspicion is that it’s somebody in the wannabe-TaintRunner cult, maybe the same brain genius who gave me three Kyle Rittenhouse Avs because I said that I was gonna vote for Joe Biden and goons weren’t gonna change my mind (yeah literally).

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The bonding goes well 💖💖💖

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

The bonding goes well 💖💖💖

:swoon:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Holy poo poo, I almost lost Harriet today. When we woke up and went in to give her meds, we found her fallen over unable to standup.

Called her usual vet, they weren't open so we rushed her to the e-vet other side of town. The vets there had no experience with bunnies so they saw she had a lowered heart rate and body temp. They finally got hold of usual vet who said "Bring her to us immediately".

So we rushed her there. They found out she had low blood sugar, gave her applesauce and critical care and within 15 minutes she started her first escape attempt.

So we got to bring her home with a big bag of critical care. She has lost about 30% of her weight over the last 6 months. We had noticed but jt didn't seem that bad. :s

Anyways bunny has eaten about 2 cups of applesauce mixed with cc and is currently napping after running round her enclosure

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Harriet's gone. She passed away in my wife's arms.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harriet's gone. She passed away in my wife's arms.

Condolences, dude. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
aw gently caress dude i'm sorry. that sucks.

at least you gave her a good life, she looked like she was loved