Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

I came home from work today to find a completely stiff bunny corpse. His eyes were glazed over and his mouth was soaked in blood. I have absolutely no idea what happened. Everything in the cage was pretty wet, including the fur around his head that had bits of hay all stuck in it. I guess it was mostly urine that was ejected after he died.

My best guess is that I had to suddenly switch him from timothy to alfalfa hay because the pet store ran out and he had a bad reaction to the new stuff? But that was two days ago and I don't know why that would put blood on his face.

Did he hate his cage so much that he started bashing his head against the bars trying to get out? This is really sad. :smith: I studied so much. I was committed to being the best bunnykeeper in the world, and I killed my rabbit just a few weeks after adoption. We never even got to be friends.

Sorry to hear that, I can only imagine it's an awful experience :smith:

Is there a possibility of loud/sudden/scary noises where the rabbit was? Rabbits can break their backs with a frightful jump; perhaps he jumped, hit his head hard, and that was that. Sometimes our rabbit will get startled and bowl through her indoor pen cage, so perhaps that could be a cause too. I'm sure that if you really wanted to know the cause, a vet would look at him.

Really sorry to read this; I wish there was something I could do :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

How about pet rats? Are those cool?

My girlfriend and I have a bunny and two rats. Never seen and problems. Sometimes the bunny likes to sit under their cage, and the rodents go wild trying to sniff her out, but nobody ever seems scared or defensive.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Abe Frohman posted:

I have three kids, two rabbits, five rats, a turtle and some fish. I'm not keeping lists of anything.

Sounds like my girlfriend. Two rats, two hamsters, one turtle, one parakeet, one rabbit.
Rats are super good pets and I recommend them to everyone thinking of getting hamsters or gerbils.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

So, I'm thinking of adopting an adult rabbit from a local rescue. I have cared for a rabbit before (my ex had a rabbit and I lived with her for a few years) so I have experience with their needs. I'm considering a setup and would like to know what you folks think of it.

The setup would be composed of two parts -- a pet cage, and a playpen.

The cage is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KB4C1QS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
The Pen is this one (and ultimately maybe two to make more space): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075898NLN/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm seeing the cage as a sort of "safe" spot for the bun; a comfy area with the litter pan and a bunch of hay and a water bowl. I might even look into getting some kind of lid/topper for it so the bun can hide in there, or maybe I'll just get a box or something to put on one side to hide in. Then, the pen would wrap around that cage to give open playspace. I see the rabbit being in the playspace during the day (and night) when I'm not around to babysit, and otherwise can come out and explore the house when I'm around. I'm thinking the total size of the playspace, including the cage, would be 4x8 feet.

I know the cage alone is definitely too small as permanent housing for the bun, but I am thinking would be more of a warren for the bun and a safe place to keep the bun when I need to clean or if there is some work being done in the house.

Thoughts?

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 23, 2019

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Thanks for the advice! I'll get looking for a different cage. I am in the US so I'll consider Leith, but yikes, those are not cheap.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

This is Pepper. She has been here for a few hours, and she has already chosen her throne and has been issuing edicts.

The edicts call for bananas and greens.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

So, I have some cage-shui questions. This is the setup currently:

If you're playing Find The Bun, she is hiding behind the crate door; she found her way under there this morning.

She's urinating in the litter pan, but not defecating, so much. The foster told me that she doesn't seem to like eating hay direct from the litterbox (I guess she prefers it clean!), so I put a bowl of pellet in there. She's defecating mostly in the crate, which is great, and I was told she is still pretty young (< 6 months) so her toilet habits are probably still forming, but I want to make sure I set up an environment that will be conducive to forming good habits.

I'm definitely not using the crate space very well, so I'm trying to think of some ways to improve that. I think I might go get a bigger litter pan today to fill in more of the crate space, and I think I'm going to push the crate all the way back against the wall. I'm also gonna make another cereal box feeder for her near the litter pan, as well as move the lixit over there so she has full food access in the box without getting hey hay mixed with the litter.

Any suggestions on arrangement issues that could help me get a better experience here?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Thanks for the advice!

I ended up taking a chance on the wall because the foster said that she didn't chew during the three-ish weeks she was with her. I do think I'll get a second expen to run around the back just in case, though. Ultimately, my hope is to allow her to free roam within that room, so I'll be keeping a close eye on her.

I also backed the crate away from one of the walls to get some more space in there, but clearance along the other wall is going to need to wait till the second expen arrives.

I might also run out to Walmart today to see if I can find a rugged 3' runner rug I can run under the whole playspace, as well as a bigger litter box. I'll take a look at the hay feeders they have but I'm always a bit worried about the grid ones giving enough space for the bun to actually pull hay out easily, which is why I made the cereal box one.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ms. Pepper has been settling in well. She's excited and friendly and surprisingly well behaved -- no chewing, and only one small accident (she peed on the couch, but it was right after she was running around the room at lightspeed and binkying up a storm and I'm thinking she was just so wound up she forgot she had to pee?).

Her absolute favorite green so far is cilantro, but she is also partial to arugula, romaine, and ecarole.

Also, thanks to SheGuevara for the tip on stacking cups; apparently buns hate it when nesting cups are nested and they absolutely must throw them to every corner of the room as quickly and violently as possible.

Amazing.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

it's funny to me that i originally wasn't super on board about getting a rabbit because i assumed they would just be boring and now im at the "i would die for you" stage

he's just so loving cute i can't

When I first met my ex's pet rabbit years ago, I figured the bun would be a quiet docile prey animal. Then she bit me.

It did not take long to learn that the bun is always at the top of the hierarchy. (the bun and I became very good friends after that).

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Miss Pepper has been doing well so far, but we are having the occasional toilet issue. For the most part, she is great, and only goes in her litter box. I'll find the occasional turd elsewhere, but nothing to really be concerned about.

That said, she seems to like going to the bathroom on the couch. I'll often find poops there, especially when she has been running around like crazy. She has also peed on it a handful of times. When she has, I've been quick to hit it with Nature's Miracle (the enzymatic stuff) to try to dissuade her, but it doesn't seem to do the trick. I don't get it. She also loves to lick the couch; whenever I am in there and sitting on it, she will jump up and just lick the over and over in different patches.

Any idea what might be going on here? She is still pretty young (5-6 months) and she has been spayed. Honestly, when she pees on the couch it doesn't smell that bad - last time I could only tell it was pee and not a licking patch because when I blotted it it came up with a hint of yellow. The couch is pretty old and in mediocre shape, so I'm not desperate to protect it, but I would like to make sure I can trust her elsewhere in the house eventually.

Halloween Jack posted:

That is a beautiful rabbit.

Thanks! :)

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Yeah the poops don't bother me, but I do get more worried about the urine.

So, Ms Pepper ended up chewing on a coax cable today. I think she was trying to chew at the door to dig out of the room. This is the first cable she has chewed since I brought her home (a few weeks, now), so I was a bit surprised because I was feeling more confident leaving her unattended in the room.

It's hard to tell from the looks of it, but I think she probably ingested some of the rubber. I don't think she ingested any copper shielding, but you never know. I am now panicking that she will be dead from intestinal perforations before the week is out. Right now she is flopped over and napping after eating a bunch of pellet, and before she was ripping up a cardboard box. She doesn't seem to be acting strangely but I know rabbits hide signs of pain and illness. What things should I be looking for to make sure she is OK (or, to tell when we need a vet visit asap).

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Thanks for the assurance. I repaired the cable and covered it with a length of PVC. She's still eating and pooping like normal, so I'll keep an eye on her, but I'm much less worried than I was.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

With COVID making it smart to stay indoors, does anyone have suggestions for rabbit veggies? Ms. Pepper likes dandelion and I have been cutting it and keeping it in water so it doesn't wilt, but fresh veg still is hard to keep available.

I've got enough hay to survive the apocalypse, and I grabbed some extra bags of pellet so I'm good there, but I'm worried about her veg diet.

Edit: Pepperpic

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 12, 2020

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Your rabbit will survive without fresh veg if you really think it's too much of a risk to go to the store. They'll just be grumpy about it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Are you currently presenting flu-like symptoms?

Have you been in direct close physical contact with someone with flu-like symptoms, coughing in your face or shaking your hand?

Do you live with a senior citizen, or someone who has respiratory or immunodeficiency issues?

If the answer is no, go about your normal life and don't worry too much. Wash your hands a bit more often, maybe.

Public events are getting cancelled because a thousand+ people crammed into a location for hours or days is functionally a viral hotbox for something contagious, and just ONE infected person (even if they're asymptomatic) will yield probably like a couple-dozen-odd more once the event leaves. Encouraging isolation is not about not getting infected, because it's generally REALLY mild for most and you'll be fine in a few days. It's about preventing the disease getting to people it WILL kill, because there is no vaccine or herd immunity to this thing.

Thanks. I did get a bunch of dandelion, and I'm keeping it in water so it won't get wilty. That'll get me a good while before I need to make another trip.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

BAE OF PIGS posted:

My boy Carrots.

That is an adorable rabbit.

Is anyone else's rabbit not particularly bothered by fireworks? People have been popping them off lately and Ms. Pepper doesn't seem to give much of a poo poo. I was worried because I've heard horror stories from other people with pets, but thunder/fireworks don't seem to evoke much of a response at all.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Abject terror weekend for me. When I got home Friday night Pepper was hiding in a box and wasn't terribly interested in coming out; her ears were awfully cold too. I even shook a treat bag and she wasn't very enthusiastic (she usually tries to climb me to get to the bag) and when she took the treat she just dropped it. I tried all sorts of food: dandelion, pellets, alfalfa hay, oat hay, timothy hay, carrot sticks, treats, you name it, but no interest. I eventually got her to nibble an Oxbow Cranberry treat, but she only ate about 1/3 of it. I ended up giving her about 0.6mL of 20mg/mL oral children's simethicone and while she didn't love the process she eventually licked it down. It was really hard to keep hold of her but I was able to massage her abdomen for about 7 minute before she bolted. I did grab some fresh poops from Friday night and there was a bit of brownish mucus, but that seemed to be gone in later poops.

Fortunately by morning she ate most of what I left laying out and when I gave her a new treat she gobbled it down like her usual self; she then had a nice breakfast of some fresh greens and ate lots of the timothy hay I had laid out for her. When I called the vet they said it sounded like she rounded the corner, but I've been panicking over every ear twitch since Friday. Has anyone seen a transient event like this? Does it happen every now and again? Could it be a symptom of some underlying condition? Of course it had to happen over a long holiday weekend.

One potential culprit could have been her litter. I had to get a different type than usual; I usually have Yesterday's News or something similar but I had to get a slightly different brand, "Exquisicat" which also has some Zeolite aluminum salts. From some looking it seems that they are generally nontoxic but they are an adsorbent and I wonder if it got her dehydrated which messed things up. When I did see her Friday night she was drinking a lot more than usual. I switched out the litter to the stuff I normally use (finally sound some) and that only has the paper and baking soda. Might be worth steering clear of this litter if you can avoid it.

Anyway, here she is feeling much better (it seems) last night climbing all over the couch, and then this morning lounging in her favorite spot.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Honestly it's a relief to hear that someone else has experienced it. It was the first time I've had something like this -- she's about a year and 4 months old (estimated), and I've had her for 11 months or so and we've had no other health issues. Before getting a rabbit I spent a ton of time reading about health and care, so seeing this trigger ultimate panic mode, but I think now having some success and knowing what to look for I'll feel a bit more confident going into the next one.

Nancy is adorable, I'm glad she bounced back too! Boop that snoot.

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I'm glad your bun is doing better!

We use wood pellets for our litter. It's a little tip the people at the humane society told us about; not to use the wood pellet or paper pellet stuff that is designed to be used as litter, but stuff used to be used in wood pellet stoves. It's just plain wood pellets with no additives and it's only like 5 bucks for a 40 pound bag.

Something like this
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/wise-wood-wood-pellet-fuel-40-lb-bag

That's pretty clever, and cheap as hell. Honestly for that price I'll try it just to see how it works. The only thing I'd worry about is if it's softwood, would the oils be a concern if she nibbles them?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Somebunny has been up to trouble.

Has anyone dealt with something like this? What is your solution? I could get a couch cover but I feel like she would just chew through it.

This couch was ratty to begin with which is why I risked putting it in the room with Pepper anyway but it is a nice place to sit with her in there.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

The Walrus posted:

Is she spayed? That seems like it goes beyond normal chewing destructiveness and into false pregnancy/nesting behaviour

She is spayed.

It's happened before, but it doesn't happen often. It's not like she doesn't have other toys to play with; I just got a cool new dig toy from Small Pet Select.

I'm going to go to Joann's and get some cotton batting and stick it in a cardboard box for her dig into and have fun and see if that gives her an outlet.

Oh my lord that nose

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

quote is not edit

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

YouTube seems to think that I am at least guinea pig-curious with all of my past rabbit and small animal content consumption

I know fuckall about guinea pigs but they appear to be smaller, less mobile, more vocal rabbit-like little dudes, possibly more agreeable and space efficient in a solo living/apartment situation than rabbits have been for me.

Has anybody here ever kept them? My dad used to have them back when he was a kid in South America. His were pets but apparently people would often keep ‘em for food in his neighborhood.

Anyway they’re adorable and if they’re as good as buns or better then I might see guinea pigs in my future.

Pigs are definitely adorable. They do tolerate smaller spaces better than rabbits; a big rodent cage is enough for them when alone (assuming you give them some outside exercise too!). They're also big Timothy Hay eaters, so if you have buns you can share that part of their diet. They do need a source of Vitamin C or can get scurvy, so that diet bit is different.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

Thinking about finally getting a dog when we move to a bigger house. I THINK if we get a puppy, Ajax will learn to not be an rear end in a top hat. I hope.

Any thoughts on that? I have no idea how you train a rabbit and dog to hang out without hating each other.

I've seen / heard stories of it being OK, but I think that situation is very much the exception and not the rule. Like people here are saying, many rabbits bolt if exposed to a predator. Ms. Pepper will actually panic run if I so much as pet a dog because she can smell it on my hands.

Bun tax. Someone here suggested using shredded paper for her digging instincts and let me tell you, Pepper loves the springfill. She loves to dig it out of the box, push it around, throw it all over the place, burrow under it, and jump around it. I got mine from Staples, $20 for a 10lb box and it's been great.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

What are people's favorite solutions for flooring? My rabbit loves to dig/shred carpet. I don't care about the damage/cost, but I do worry a lot about her ingesting some of the material. I currently have her on a sacrificial rug on top of hardwood. The rug has a pretty tight weave but she managed to get to it anyway. I've read some people like jute/sissal/seagrass rugs but she loves to chew that stuff too so I'm afraid that would get obliterated and leave her sliding around on the hardwood.