Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

My bunny Pixel-pon.

Bun-loaf!

Chillin' out, maxin' and relaxin' all cool

She has this weird patch on her back, at first I thought it was her winter coat growing out, but it's been there forever. I duno what it is, but she's cute nonetheless.

(The cookie box is closed, she's sniffing my hand.)

okiecompy fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 19, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Haven't been around here in a while, but here are some new pictures and videos of Pixel-Pon! Enjoy!
She has a harness and loves going outside to eat fresh grass!

As you can see, she still has her funny batman-like cape shape on her back! Her tail reminds me of a Totoro tail.

This is her most favorite toy, it's a cat toy but she totally plays with it!

Here's a link to a vid of her playing with it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=h1oAlW8c5Zk
Destroying my mom's papers...

Here she is with some tasty hay!

Standing up for an apple treat...

She loves being pet, despite the evil glare in her eye...

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

NMR posted:

Maybe the skin has a smell to it that rabbits don't like?

This seems likely, we have this spray called "Bitter Apple" that we use to keep Pixel from biting anything and everything, and the first time we used it she got really annoyed and stomped around all day.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

They can definitely still live long lives without being bonded. I've had a few who were fine alone and a few who were bonded. I did have one who died of loneliness when her bondee had to move away, that was the saddest thing ever. She just stopped eating and passed away. My current bun Pixel-pon is just fine by herself and when we tried to introduce a new bun she tore him a new one. Some buns are just independent I think.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

I think the rhinestones on her harness/leash combo may have given her a fat head. You're lucky if you're permitted to pet her, if she so wishes. I think that the best bonded pairs happen when the buns are already together, or at least that's been my experience.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

If it is the case that they're so much much much happier bonded, how can I hope to bond Pixel-pon when she rips the fur out of anything that comes near her? Is it just a trial and error until I find the perfect bun?

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Well this sucks :< Now I really want to get a buddy for Pix but I already know my mom definitely doesn't want another bun, and she absolutely will not buy a second cage. Should I push her to try it anyways?

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Does he stay in a cage? I've heard that the bars at the bottom can hurt their feet. Pixel-pon always has some random cardboard bits that she likes to sit/lay on. Once we got her this strange blue litterbox filling and it was so soft that she'd sleep in her litterbox and go to the bathroom elsewhere. We had to change the litter obviously. It seems weird though, that he dumps the hay and such out and just lays in the empty box... :psyduck:

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Internets are srs business and all but can you guys take it to PM or something? I like to read about bunnies, not personal vendettas.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Dude, go threadshit somewhere else. No one agrees with you here.

Back to the point of this thread-
Pixel-Pon is being a massive bitch and I have no idea why. She growls when I reach down to pet her and is pooing everywhere. She has/had? a usual spot where she went but now she's just going everywhere. Yesterday I was watching a movie in the living room and came back to the den to watch tv and found a nice huge pile of poo right where I like to sit usually. Is she specifically angry at me, because thats how it seems. I haven't done anything different recently... what could be the problem?

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

She's fixed. I said earlier that she doesn't have a bonded buddy, shes a loner. My mom refuses to get another bunny, maybe she's lonely? We let her out for hours each day and she has free run of the den, dining room and living room. People are around when she's running about and we talk to her and pet her when she lets us. I guess she might be PMSing :< My mom wants to keep her in all day as punishment, but I don't know if this will just make her worse.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Well the only change really is me, she stays at my mom's house while I'm at college, and I was home for about a week for the holidays. Is she angry at me because I leave her? She did leave the pile exactly where I usually sit on the futon.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

I know girl bunnies have a dewlap and they use the extra fur there to build nests.. maybe guys grow the same sort of thing to help out?

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Deceptor101 posted:

Be aware of head humping, if the humpee is unhappy it can be very dangerous as genitals can be bitten.

I'm in a bit of a pickle, to put it mildly. Somehow, Annie (I know it was her, she's the chewer) got behind the computer desk today. SOMEHOW, although as far as i can tell, it's literally impossible. She ate through my speaker cord, my webcam cord, my mic cord, my HQ gaming mouse cord and a miniusb cable. If I can't get these fixed, the speakers alone were 150$. I literally cannot afford this. I'm sad, but right now they're making me think if they're practical in life. I really don't want to give them up, but I spend hours and hours bunny proofing everything, and then they somehow get through steel bars anyways and cause hundreds of dollars in damage. Ben is still antisocial mostly, although I tell myself he's gotten better, Annie is a sweetheart, but when it comes down to it, I just dont have that cash to burn. Help me think of reasons to keep them, other than that I'd be a bad person. :(((((((((

Those things are all really pretty easy to fix with a wire stripper and some electrical tape. I've also had unfortunate bunny chewing up computer things experiences, just be glad that she didn't try the power cord! You can get pretty hard plastic tubing to keep the wires inside, I think it's tough enough that the buns wouldn't mess with it.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

GoodApollo posted:

... she gave us a thump, which she also has never done...

My bunny must be the hugest brat then, she thumps all the time when she doesn't get her way. My sister has even been thumped at for not opening the cage immediately when she got home. Not a thump in the cage, after she was let out and my sister was resting on the sofa, Pixel came over and gave her a stink eye, and when my sister didn't notice she was being stared at, Pixel thumped at her. What a brat! She also thumps if she doesn't think she's received enough food.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Such lucky buns! You're not worried about the carpet?

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

http://www.rabbit.org/fun/net-bunnies.html

Totally cute bun photos! I could sit here for hours and never get bored.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Tonks? If I had my choice I would name him Floof. It seems appropriate.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Melicious posted:

The beards require more nutrients!
I love the "stupid bunnies only" house, I'll have to make one of those for Pixel but hers would say "fat bratty bunnies only" :D

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

justFaye posted:

We just got a new bun today! She is the lovebun for Godewyn, my first bun. She isn't named yet, so we're currently brainstorming. She is a lionhead (or at least part-lionhead?) and Godewyn is half Holland lop and half mini rex. He's a little bigger than her, but not tremendously.

Godewyn is about three years old, and the little girl is of unknown age... but the rabbit rescue guesses about six months old.

We worked with them for about 30 minutes today for bonding and it was going pretty well until the end I think they were getting a bit tired and grumpy and there was a little nipping going on, so we decided they'd had enough for tonight.

Pictures!

Godewyn (before he lost a little weight... the vet says he is now at a good weight whereas before he was about 1/2-1/3 lb overweight):

[timg]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2038/3562410354_2536a4de99.jpg][/timg]

New Baby Girl:

She is mostly white/cream with medium grey points and and light grey spots on her lower back.

Ahhh I love her hair! Lionheads are so goofy looking in an adorable way. I would vote for Einstein but that's a boy's name :/

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

rushivywithglocks posted:

Pompom had his first outdoor adventure today thanks to a recently acquired roll of wire and some wonderful weather. At first he was a bit scared and tried to climb my back - clearly a superb hiding spot.

Then he had fun and cleaned himself a lot. Because the outdoors is dirty.

Click here for the full 758x579 image.

Click here for the full 655x569 image.

And we shared a snack :3:

Click here for the full 825x611 image.

Click here for the full 702x581 image.

Adorbs! The first time I took Pixel-pon outside and a car drove by she scrambled up into my lap and wouldn't leave. Now she strains against her harness and loves to play tag.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

There are some airlines that will fly buns, you just have to type it in to Google and figure it out. Last time I checked it was going to run me about 125 bucks 1 way.

Continental posted:

Continental allows domesticated cats, dogs, pet rabbits and household birds to be carried in the aircraft cabin on most U.S. flights within the U.S. An in-cabin pet may be carried in lieu of a carry-on bag and is subject to a $125.00 service charge each way ($250.00 for round trip travel).

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

CampingCarl posted:

And an odd story. There is a patch of ripped carpet where my room meets the hallway. One day he comes up and starts digging at it. I yell at him and he pauses but keeps going. I get up to move him and he dances away with that bouncing sideways head waving thing. He ends up doing this a couple more times until Im standing next to the patch. He comes back, creeps slowly up to it, and looking right at me starts digging. I move and he dances away. He comes back, looking at me, and slowly moves his paw to dig again. Before he touches it and before I even move he dances away to his cage. I have a weird rabbit.

My bun Pixel totally does this with my mom. Pixel 'owns' the den area and there's a futon in there for watching tv and such, and Pix will wait until she sees my mom walk past the den to hop up on the futon, and every time she does so my mom will yell at her and Pixel even has enough sass to wiggle her tail while peeking over her shoulder when she runs off. She's such a little brat and she knows it :p

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

lookin 4 sk8r boi posted:

I just went on a 5 day long trip and my boyfriend's stupid rear end sister had to watch my rabbit.

He is usually extremely energetic and happy, but when I came home he seemed really lethargic. His eyes seem swollen and kind of red, not alert like they usually are. Almost like he is worried.

He seems really tired- I may be overreacting and I'll wait a day or two because he doesn't seem like he'll drop dead any second, I'm still worried though. And when I try to play with him he just lays down and closes his eyes. He keeps stretching out and closing them.

I also noticed he ate a LOT of wood off of the door frame by his cage. Can this kill him? He has eaten a little before but we always tell him NO and he stops. He obviously didn't get supervised correctly. :sigh:

He is eating and pooping normal as I can see. Poops are big like always and no poops are stuck to him. His tummy doesn't seem swollen or anything.

Could he just be chilly (it is cold here) or depressed from not having me around?

Please please please take your bun to the vet ASAP! Rabbits are prey animals and will hide pain and illness for as long as possible to not seem vulnerable to predators, so if he's showing any kind of weirdness that is a very bad sign. Rabbits get sick and can die very very quickly, so even if it *seems* to you like he might not die tomorrow, he very well could. Please take him to the vet!

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Jhael posted:

Of course, here are obligatory cute pictures.

She loves looking at herself in the mirror, it's weird.

Sorry I don't have any advice but I just wanted to say your pictures are adorable! Pixel loves her mirror too, she thinks it's another bun and tries her hardest to out-flop and out-binky the mirrorbun :)

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

SO. I recently adopted a little terror black lionhead and named him S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe pronounced Sammy for short). He's really adorable but not so bright. He eats random crap off of the floor to make me nervous, and this past week escaped from his cage 3 times.

Here he is burning down a house:

Here's a shot of his cage that I originally built for him:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

and his new cage:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Since he escaped from his cage a few times, his nose looks kind of strange, like he possibly cut it while escaping. Should I do anything about it? I know it's probably not safe to put neosporin on it but is there any sort of organic type of thing I could safely put on his nose?

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

luscious posted:

I have some of the CUTEST movies of the rabbits that I can't wait to upload and get on here. There's one of Paterson where he's playing with a pamphlet with my boyfriend, grabs it out of his hand, notices the camera and stops mid-chew to stare at the camera. MID CHEW!
I don't think he likes being filmed. There's another one where he licks my boyfriend's pants, too, which sucks because he hardly even lets me touch him but he loves the manpants.

SAMe really loves my roomie's pajamma pants and sweatshirts that she tends to wear to bed, I think it's cuz they're probably kind of sweaty (ick) and that makes them smell more like the person and less like detergent.

I sewed this little dress for her for easter!

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Blakles posted:

I've noticed for a few days now Cosmo has had this patch of fur on his front, right leg that looked like it was wet. At first I thought he just spilled some water on himself from his bowl or bottle, but it's still there. I held him down today and tried to look at it. The fur is hard and he flinches when I touched it (of course he was flinching a lot no matter what).

Is this a pee-burn? I don't understand how he could get a pee-burn on the way on the upper part of his front leg, but I don't know what else it could be. If that is what it is, how do you treat it?

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Also, he's been scratching his ears a lot lately. I read online that could be ear mites. :( Poor little guy. Any remedies we should do in addition to the store-bought ear mite drops?

It looks like there might be some snot there under his nose, which isn't good. When samE was sneezing a lot I looked up a bunch of stuff online and I remember reading something that said when they have crusties on their feet from wiping their faces a lot it's not a great sign. You should probably take him to the vet if this is the case.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Blakles posted:

Hmmm, well I tried to take some more pictures to get a better look. This what came from trying to view his chin/mouth...I hate that he's sick, but this picture is hilarious to me. He had just drank water out of his bowl so some of the hairs are wet, but other than that I don't see anything unusual.

Click here for the full 1024x1365 image.

Gumby Orgy - I'm not sure it's ear mites, that was just the only thing I came across when searching about the problem online. I tired to get as good a look as possible at his ears tonight and they look pretty normal to me, but I've only had a bunny for a little over 1 month and 1/2. I tried to take a close up photo, maybe you see something I don't. We don't have any other pets and he's a 13 months old.

Click here for the full 1118x1094 image.

EDIT: Also, I've never heard him sneeze and he's not acting the slightest bit different. I know bunnies try to hide their illnesses, but he still eats tons of food, drinks tons of water, and runs around like crazy, pushes boxes around, etc. I would think there would be some slight indication that he wasn't feeling well.

After that picture I am less worried, it doesn't appear that anything is coming out of his nose. I thought those weird bits under his mouth were boogers previously. I'm not sure about pee-burns, I thought they mostly got those on their back legs :/

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

PumpkinPirate posted:

I heard spinach could be potentially harmful if fed too frequently because of the iron content.

Update on my buns:

Emily no longer has poop build up on her butt. She seems to be cleaning it so fingers crossed with that. They really love their veggies but they don't really like the apples. That's good I guess because of the sugar content in apples.

Pics:
Emily

Gordy

Oh man the disapproval from Emily is palpable. Good thing my room mate isn't here to hear me making crazy noises at cute bunny pictures on the internet!

Here's an updated pic of SAM-bam-thankyoumam, which is my favorite new nickname for her. I love her silly butt-fluffs

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Blakles posted:

Dang, that is a cute bunny. Is that a lionhead?..If so, how old is he? I have a lionhead bun that's over 1 year old and all he has left of his mane is some fluff on top of his head...which is why we named him Cosmo, after Kramer from Seinfeld.

Yep, SAMe's a lionhead. She has tons of mane and those funny butt-flaps that you can see on the back and that's all. She's about 6 and a half months old now. I love when SAMe's mane gets all static-y after she's run around on the carpet for a long time, she looks like a crazy koosh-ball-bunny.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

NancyPants posted:

I tried real hard to read through this thing but it's kinda long. Please forgive me.

I know that if a rabbit gives you permission to groom it, that's a sign it accepts you. What's mine doing?

When I lie on the floor, she hops over to me and gets her face all up in my grill. She'll nudge my face and sniff my mouth, then she'll put her chin right on the floor. Generally by this time I have moved in some way, and then she'll form a bunny loaf and put her chin directly on the floor. Is this permission to groom her? If I rub her face she doesn't appear to care. She's drat hard to read.

She definitely wants you to pet her head, and you probably should, lest you offend the bunny princess :P This is the best resource I've found for deciphering rabbit-speak.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

SAMe went on a picnic yesterday! Here are photos!

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

HJHJGKGHSGK that rabbit is loving awesome. And where does one find bunny clothes?!?

They're just XS doggie clothes :)

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

NancyPants posted:

Well that bunny looks like a fancy little lady. I sure hope that's a lady bunny or you're gonna give it a complex.

SAM-bam is a lady. It's funny how she always washes herself after I pet her like I've made her so dirty or something.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

SlippyHat posted:

Yeah, I don't think the cage is big enough for him. It's not small, to be sure, but we may have to employ some engineering to make it bigger.

This rabbit is a tremendous rear end in a top hat. My girlfriend's had rabbits all her life, and has never come across such a spiteful jerk. That may be part of it, too. :(

My bun SAMe used to upturn her litter box and food dish all the time, so I got a heavy ceramic food bowl that she can't lift and these things that are sort of like metal clampy clothespins and clamped the litter box to the side of the cage. She has baby rings that she likes to toss around now.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Foaming Chicken posted:

Except when they remember they are rabbits and start tearing out the carpet :mad: I just lined his cage with an area mat and now he's pouting.

Don't they pout about the doofiest things? I made SAMe's condo 33% bigger and how does she repay me? By trying to escape out the roof, the front door, and then by rattling the cage when I've got all the other escape routs closed off. Sigh, buns.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Sunday is International Rabbit Day!

HRS posted:

International Rabbit Day is an international day which promotes the protection and care of rabbits both domestic and wild. International Rabbit Day is held on the fourth Saturday or Sunday of September; in 2010 it will be held on September 26.

Here's an event I made on Facebook, feel free to invite anyone you know who loves buns!

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

SAMe's spay was only $90, but that was at the second place I visited. The first place quoted about $450 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Pictures of SAMe!! She has funny brown fur on her face that makes it look like she's always just gotten into some chocolate.