Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Meanwhile, Harriet is a patriot who supports the Prime Minister.

"How DARE you cast aspersions on my political leanings, HUMAN." God, I love Harriet.

I don't have buns, and I probably never will (majorly allergic to hay of all types). Thank you, goons, for giving me a bun fix as well as keeping me aware of what it really takes to watch over such a small and delicate animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Sorry for the double post, but Harriet has teeth spurs, and hates the metacam

How can you tell that it's the metacam and not general hatred of the universe?

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harriet teeth update.

Teeth spur on left side of mouth has been worn down some. Needs more wearing down, but it's improving. Gums on both sides no longer inflamed, and are now healthy pink. On right side, one molar is bigger than the others. So, she's still getting the metacam and all the poo poo she can chew.

Please respond when the human skeleton you've tossed her is nothing but splinters.

I wish alucinor posted more. I've been watching videos from a Holland Lop rabbitry run by an 18 year old and wincing because she says that spaying/neutering is completely optional and that wire-floored cages are more sanitary and safer for your bunnies.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I'm so sorry, The Walrus. I love the photos you posted, and I hope they help you remember all the best things about Grace.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Here thread, have a erm...palate cleanser.

so photogenic. so regal. he'd eat you right up if he could.

What breed is he? He's so pretty!

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I'm so sorry. I don't own any rabbits but this thread is super supportive and wonderful. If you want to talk about her, you can always message me or tell us in here!

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Yossarian-22 posted:

No, I'm trying my best to heed everyone's advice and not log off despite everything being hurled at me. But it's hard when the warnings against cohabitation have come part and parcel with personal attacks, and despite having seen conflicting information within this very thread, none of which warned me against getting non-terrier breeds of dogs before I ultimately did. Again the single, solitary post in this thread addressing other breeds before I adopted my poodle said the following: "This is a really bad idea, for all animals involved. If your house/garden is big enough rather look at a bigger cuddly dog like a Labrador that doesn't have several hundred years of rabbit-killing bred into it. This has the added bonus of you owning a cool and awesome dog rather than a stupid yappy one."

I saw that post and figured, "Well, I guess some non-terrier breeds are fine then" because I saw nothing in here or on the internet stating otherwise prior to actually getting the poodle. As far as I could tell, nobody was warning me against getting other breeds. So when I did actually get another breed and various posters blew up at me for my impulsiveness, well, that kind of felt really lovely.

The consensus against cohabitation has been within this thread that literally has the title containing the words "bunny fanatics." Everything else I've seen around the internet has essentially said to proceed with caution, in effect that yes, all dogs have prey drives, but some more than others and some to a manageable degree.

I'm managing a difficult situation and I'm trying to consider all of the facts here. I wish people put a little bit more stock in that

You've gotten facts, and you've basically said "welp, whatever, PUPPY". The people offering advice in this thread are essentially bunny professionals and the people in the puppy thread are the same for dogs. If the consensus is the same in both places, and you're still forging ahead, perhaps it is the wrong thing to do.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Yossarian-22 posted:

I only got one response in the other thread to my poodle/bun dilemma.

And was it the same response as this thread? Then you're the problem.

Here, I found this with literally 2 seconds of Google:https://rabbit.org/journal/1/dogs.html It basically says "maybe, but are you prepared to never allow them alone together even for a second?"

gamingCaffeinator fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 7, 2018

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Yossarian-22 posted:

You're actually taking me literally? lol. But get it through your thick loving skull that I might not take any of the good advice in this thread because you're an abusive bully who uses your laughable position of power and suspicious amount of free time (nice 48,000 posts, chap) to gaslight me and tell me to "seek help," something that I've already had to do in spades. Why do you think I wanted a dog? Why does my sister have six cats? Goddamn you are an insensitive rear end in a top hat.

I'm sorry if I was mean or abusive to anyone else in this thread because clearly you are the loving problem

I don't think gaslight means what you think it means. Good luck, chum.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Jesus loving christ dude. What kind of psychopath are you?

One who likes to cherrypick.

Do you have any new photos of our Dark Lady Harriet, bunnyofdoom? It feels like awhile since you've posted any!

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yes. 100%. But do your research and get well-educated on the matter first or the tough guy chads of the House Bunny Thread will come down on you and reckonize.

And this is exactly why I read this thread and try to learn, even if I don't have bunnies yet. I want to make sure that I never gently caress it up as badly as that guy.

Electric Bugaloo and Cythereal are not afraid to read you to filth, and I love that about them (and PI in general).

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I don't even own buns, I just lurk in this thread and others for the cute photos. :shobon: That guy's attitude just ticked me off that much and I did a little research plus listening to what everyone in this and the puppy thread had to say.

Have a couple of cute non-pet bun photos from the wildlife photography thread.

I read your posts in the venting about students thread too ;) and I appreciate you.

Thank you bunnyofdoom! Harriet is definitely one of my favorite rabbits ever, and I commend all of you bunny goons for the love and care you give your buns.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harriet has arthritis. So, she loves med time. Enough that she is letting us train her. This is weird. She'll hop right into my lap, sit and stare at us until we medicate her

On one hand, sad news about the arthritis. On the other hand, I think she's actually training you.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Cool cool, gotta make sure Broussette never finds out about this thread.

She already knows, friend. She already knows.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

GoingPostal posted:

Dear god. Harriet with a hare-apparent. That's all we need, more Harriets spreading their horrible, fuzzy influence around the world.

I dunno about you, but that's EXACTLY what I want. Hail Harriet, Dark Lady and Mistress of Destruction.

Also, one of my coworkers just got a bunny of her own as an emotional support animal in training. She's a fuzzy Holland Lop, and especially cute. Thanks to this thread, I've been talking to her and she's a really good pet owner (and her bun is loving adorable). I'll ask if I can post some of the photos she sends me.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Holland Lops are very sweet rabbits, one of my old ones was a Holland/Mini Rex mix and he was great.

I got to meet the little one once already, and she loves pets and being around people in general! She also apparently loooooves cilantro, but I haven't gotten to see that yet.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Marfa is a fuzzy lop. I miss my old buns but I honestly do not miss cleaning up after them

Hope your friend is diligent about grooming and brushing

How often would you suggest brushing, and what tool do you suggest? I know she's shaved/trimmed the bunny (Nutmeg) at least 3 times in the last 3 months because she gets really floofed out.

As I've mentioned before, I'm not a bunny owner. I follow this thread to get info and see cute photos, and I will defer to the experienced bunny owners in this thread. You all have such good information and tips!

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah this, I ain’t writing that poo poo again 🤷🏻‍♂️

There’s a lot of good info online. People show rabbits, and a fair amount of cat tips apply to rabbits too.

It’s very important that you brush at MINIMUM once or twice a week (some people do daily- at least in summer, many do every other day or every 3 days) or she will get mats and hair knots. Also, the more brushing you do (to a point) the faster and better and more comfortable the brushing is for everyone. A rabbit that gets rarely brushed/groomed is a rabbit that has/gives an absolute hell of a time on the occasions when it does get it.

Trimming hair for a fuzzy lop (esp around the eyes a wee bit, or else they have difficulty seeing and it can make them stressed/prone to injury) is also a good practice. Summer is awful for them without it and I mentioned the bit about eyes. Be careful and use the right clippers if you’re gonna clip. Learn best practices before you attempt to use an electric hair cutting device on your animal. Learn how to cup their bits, etc. DO NOT WING IT LIKE A MORHERFUCKER. Also it’s important to trim out knots and mats from tum and skirt hairs. There are stories of angoras and fuzzy lops getting their feet caught in knots/mats and tearing their skin. Otherwise easy peasy lemon squeezy

I will probably send her the information you added here. She grooms Nutmeg 3x a week and gives her a good full-body trim about once a month, it sounds like.

Speaking of, this is Nutmeg! I got permission to post any photos she gives me, so if it's okay (since she's not my pet, she's my coworker's), I will post the occasional one :3:

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :swoon:

get that bun a spouse!!!!! so adorbs!!!!!

Funny you should mention this. She has a husbun-in-waiting, but both of them need to be desexed and her husbun (Bart, who is a Holland Lop as well... I think they call his pattern a charlie?) needs to get over his nasal infection.

This is Bart burrito'd and getting his meds. I cannot get over this face.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

D’awww. If he’s getting super sweetened syrupy meds with kickin painkillers like Jareth got for an ear infection one time then he probably loves it.

Veterinary meds often have unacceptable-for-humans levels of additives and adulterants to make them palatable to animals.

Apparently he is very angry about taking his meds, but once he's all wrapped up, he's calmed down. He's such a little grump!

Also! This is an older photo of Nutmeg (and my coworker, Amber). I can assure you all that the car is stopped and parked safely, and that after this Nutmeg was placed safely in her carrier. She just really loves to perch!

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Has anyone here ever heard of the streamer Mopgarden? She has a super cute bunny named Buster, and earlier this week she did an ASMR stream that ended with her bringing him out to chill.

Buster is apparently a very vocal bunny.

https://twitter.com/MopGarden/status/1153761159645974528

Have any of you ever had a bunny that honks when it gets pets? I watched the ~30 minutes before this, and he was literally just sitting in her lap (and occasionally getting offered carrot, which he refused). He just honks a lot.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

It's been awhile since I posted about my coworker's bunnies, but she put up a post on reddit with this picture. Nutmeg and Bart are both speutered, and Amber is beginning the bonding process!

Both are Holland Lops. Bart is on the left, Nutmeg on the right.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

One of my coworker's bunnies was acting lethargic and not eating, so she left early to take him into the vet. He was in stasis :( but they caught it early. Poor little guy. She thinks it's the move from her boyfriend's house to her own to begin the bonding process in earnest that stressed him out.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

How is this even possible? I saw this earlier and just could not stop watching.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

My friend's buns are fully bonded. I love this picture so much! Nutmeg is clearly top bunny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harriet has spring fever and is digging up her enclosure again. Time to build a dig box while in isolation. I can't use our precious toilet paper. Thoughts?

Phone books? Printer paper? The bones of her enemies?