Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Wife went out for a couple hours on Saturday and came back with a surprise. We've talked about getting a bun before, but I never expected this. Meet Zuba (name pending)! She's about 2 1/2, freshly spayed, litter trained. She was the first one my wife look at (she looked at all the buns and piggies at the Human Society), and the most stressed out there, to the point where she's actually losing hair.

Zuba is now out of the old Pack and Play and into a nice big cage. Really enjoys being out, the cats are tolerating her very well. More curious than anything. Wife has sent me several pics this morning, bunbun is getting lots of snuggles.

So far, she loves hopping around the living room and up onto and off of the couch, snuggling my wife and mother-in-law. She likes pets from me, but not snuggles.

EDIT: Better pics I just got from wifey:

Little poo poo's flipped her litterbox 3 times. Prefers pooping on her straw mat toy she got last night.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

clear eyes full farts posted:

What an adorable bun!! I tend to move litter trays to where the rabbits decide they want to go and just roll with it

Incidentally, where the mat was is where she's decided to leave her box and hasn't pooped outside of it since.

Someone was giving me and the wife butts and snuggles last night. It's especially cute when we're watching The Bachelor and she has our new (tuxedo) cat Princess curled up between her legs and the bun at her side getting pets.

EDIT: She moved her litterbox aside specifically to poop on the blankets on the floor of her cage.

She also spent most of last night binkying around the living room and scaring 2 out of 3 cats. The other cat just couldn't care less.

The remainder of the time she was out was spent snuggling between me and my wife. There's something loving adorable about having a bunny come across the couch and periscope next to you for pets. :kimchi:

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 26, 2017

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Harriet is like the polar opposite of Zuba.

After a week at home, Zuba's finally moved her litterbox to a place she'll consistently use it. Her cage is almost always open, she goes between it and the area rug/couch in the living room. She binkies a lot during the day and night. Loves playing with her keys and ball :3:

She's also a loving snugglebug. After the kids go to sleep, she comes out of her cage and snuggles up next to my wife. Or on my wife. She loves pets and tries to climb onto your shoulder for them. Snugglebun is goodbun.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Zuba is a loving anomaly as far as rabbits go. This past week, when my wife was bed/bathroom-ridden with a nasty bug, she texted me that she wanted the bun, so I brought Zuba in and put her on the bed, where she promptly laid down practically on my wife and napped with her for an hour :kimchi: She's so loving snuggly for a bun! We love it!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Zuba spent a good half hour as a bunloaf on the floor yesterday, ears back, getting love from the 4-year-old and the 19-month-old just sitting there, petting her, talking to her.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

We got Zuzu a friend, Avery, over the weekend. Avery's an altered male, Zu an altered female. My wife was holding Avery in her lap and had me get Zu out and put her on the couch; almost right away, she started grooming Avery. Then she tried to hop over him and he attacked and they've been on bad terms ever since.

Zuzu is the aggressor of the pair; when he's out and hopping around, she doesn't like him being around her cage, or if she's out and he's in his cage, she tries to get to him. The aggression is getting less and less with each day though.

I guess my question is this: Why would Zuzu groom him and then suddenly be aggressive?

EDIT: Butthead finally let me get a good picture.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 2, 2017

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Avery is turning out to be a total loving nutjob. We have mostly laminate flooring in our house, and while Zuba won't go off the carpeting, Avery has zero fear and one of his favorite spots to sit is on top of the cats' litterbox. In the foyer. Halfway across the house from his cage. He just putters around the house whenever he's out, sniffing at anything and everything and occasionally popcorning and headbutting for pets. :kimchi:

Also, brought Zuba in to spend time with my pregnancy-exhausted wife on Saturday and they ended up napping together for a while. Total Mommy's girl!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

So since I've been away from here (LOA at work because of complicated pregnancy), we've added another bun. My wife went to fer a little bunny named Clink from the Humane Society but she got adopted as my wife got there. Instead, she ended up with Joy, a big big white girl with jackrabbit ears.

She's even more fearless than Avery and explores the whole house. Our bedroom, kids' room, mother in law's room. She also bullrushes the cats and tries to ear their dry food. She's a good bun and a total lovebug.

Zuba comes back to our room every night now for Mommy and Daddy snuggles. Mostly ends up napping for an hour while my wife plays Candy Crush before bed.

However, I'm getting mighty ducking tired of litterbox flipping.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

also, sometimes inducing the rabbits to groom one-another by smushing some fruit on their heads can help.

My wife refuses to try this with Avery and Subs no matter how often I suggest it. You've been wanting to bond them for almost a year, let's try to expedite it.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

In a fit of madness, my wife brought home a kitten on Saturday.

And with him, she brought home Agatha to foster as part of the Humane Society's Home for the Holidays program. Her face looks like she's wearing a Rorschach mask and she's a dalmatian bun with a penchant for crazy antics (like leaping from the floor to my wife to me to the floor in bed) and chewing...everything.

I think she's found her forever home. :3:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Aggir is officially ours! And all set to devour some carrots while she watches Nite Owl and Silk Spectre fight mooks.

Edit: Goddammit my phone is a potato. Apparently so am I since I didn't realize it wasn't Awful making the image a timg automatically.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 5, 2018

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Speaking of binkying, Jojo is an explorer, and the one place she's never allowed is my mother-in-law's room. Last week, we had a plumber out and her door was open since the plumber was in her bathroom. Jojo was binkying like a drat fool around the whole room. :3:

Also, Agatha seems to have formed a love affair with our new kitten, Katten. They were nose-to-nose nuzzling last night.

EDIT: I try to get pics! I was just barely getting in the room when Aggie decided it was time to tear-rear end through the living room again and eat the trim around the closet doors.

I swear to God, these loving bunnies ignore the litterbox and chews in favor of a minefield of Turd-o Puffs and mangled baseboards!

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 15, 2018

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Avery chews on the door to his cage like it's made out of rosemary-and-alfalfa-encrusted carrots. Even if he literally JUST hopped back in after hours out and we shut his cage to give one of the other buns time out, he starts chewing on it. He also likes to bat at his water bottle like it's trying to fight him. Him and his one floppy fuckin' ear I can't even take seriously.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Imagine my absolute loving HORROR when I find Zuba's coat to be scraggly-looking and her cage full of hair.

Thank you, Zubias, for allowing Daddy to panic over your winter molt! Scared the poo poo out of me when I pulled chunks of fur out like they were just sitting on your skin.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

I haven't posted here in a while, so let me just sum it up.

October 2018, we rescued 25 rabbits (!!!) from a breeder. Our porch was jam-packed. Gave us a total of 28 when you added in our 3 that we already had. Couldn't let the breeder sell them as meat or dog bait. Then we rescued 2 more from bad situations, for a total of 30 at once. We lost three, gave one to the Humane Society to adopt out, we've adopted out about half a dozen ourselves, and we gave half a dozen to a nearby sister rescue to adopt out.

Not a one of them was fixed, and until we had a local Humane Society volunteer help us out, we had boys in with girls. Most were a year or under but we had a couple of older ones.

Now, almost a year and a half later, we decided to keep one of the later rescues, for a total of 4-5 (we haven't quite decided on one of them yet) to keep and 7-8 more to adopt out. Oh, and we found a wild baby bunny next to the road that had been jumped by a dog (not injured) that was in shock. It rode home in my wife's cleavage and she took it to a wild animal rescue, and at that rescue got to meet a capybara and made friends with the owners.

What a wild loving journey this has been. Thank God for Oxbow donating 5 cases (yes, cases of Garden Select adult rabbit food, a total of like 150 pounds), and Kaytee donating a dozen bowls and water bottles, along with all the support we've received and continue to receive on GoFundMe.

No longer do we buy bedding and hay from Walmart, or even online. Sometimes we go to Tractor Supply for bedding and Standlee hay, but more often than not lately I've been going to a mom-and-pop feed store near my work for bales and bedding. Little more expensive but they're local. I don't even want to think about how much loving money we've spent on hay and bedding.

I'd post pics but I don't have a good phone for it anymore.

EDIT: gently caress it, I'll at least list the current rescues.
Henry: Dwarf Hotot. Horny as gently caress. Humps the poo poo out of his teddy - my 5 year old giggles because "Henry is jumping up and down really fast".
Pongo: English Spot. Lazy and hungry.
Maya, Angie, Cleo, Silvie: Havana/Silver Fox mixes - more Havana than Silver Fox. All skittish and don't like their cages cleaned. Silvie is named for Sil, one of the bunnies we lost and who we're pretty sure is the girls' father.
Jobie: Our biggest, a New Zealand. He won't let anyone but me pet him, and he's come around majorly since he came here. Unfortunately, he hasn't been quite the same since Sil died; they were caged together in the beginning and lived near each other after.
Nathaniel (a.k.a. Nae Nae, or Shanaenae): Dutch. One of the latter rescues, a high-energy sweetheart.
Perdita: English Spot. Used to have a cagemate named Penny (a Rex), who I found dying one morning when I woke up. She died in my arms, and we're not quite sure why; she had a small nosebleed but that was it. Perdita hasn't been the same since either. Deety used to lay on top of Penny, then they'd groom each other; they were best friends and it made me so sad to lose Penny.

We used to have Onyx, a Havana. One night when I did her cage, I noticed she was down in the back. No emergency vets that saw rabbits, so by the time we were on our way to the vet the next day, she died in my arms in the car. She was the first we lost.

Shortly after she passed, I noticed that Sil (full name Silvio) was down in the back as well - he was caged next to her. We got him to the vet in time and he had a bad ear mite infestation, but they weren't quite sure why he was having the paresis. With lots of supportive care (sub Q fluids, Critical Care,etc.), he pulled through, started eating and gaining weight again. Still had ear mite problems even after curing the infection; but eventually he succumbed too. He died in my wife's arms two months after his first vet visit.

Oh, and after Sil passed, I noticed that one of our bunnies from before (an English Spot named Agatha) was having major discharge from her right eye. We ended up spending over a grand in vet bills over the next month and a half only to find out her top teeth were growing backwards; the X-rays were awful. Twice a day, I sucked her nose clean of discharge and gave her a topical eye solution and eye drops to help the eye infection. We have her sub Q fluids for a week while she was having a lot of trouble eating and drinking, but with metacam and Baytril, it helped.

We had to get her to a vet 2 hours away near the end, so I packed an Igloo cooler with a small litterbox, hay, and water for my wife to take her. One of my favorite - and the saddest - pictures of her is on the way home, when Agatha has her front paws up on the side and is looking out the window. When she got home, she was hopping around like nothing ever happened. That was the last good day. She passed the next evening while I was petting her; I came out of the bathroom and my wife came to me and told me Agatha was dying. After she passed, our youngest cat laid next to her for hours and wouldn't let us move her.

I still have such a hard time dealing with Agatha. Sil and Onyx and Penny sucked, but...Agatha was ours.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 4, 2020

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

The Walrus posted:

oh my goodness. thank you. it breaks my heart to think of all the neglected or abused rabbits out there. so many people do it not out of cruelty but stupidity or ignorance. all those little basements buns sitting by themselves in their cages forever and ever. makes me want to cry.

They were in worse shape. They were in stacked wire-walled and wire-floor cages with J feeders, in with two dozen chickens. We had to pretend we wanted them for meat and breeding because she didn't want to sell to a rescue. So here we were, packing two dozen bunnies into eighteen cardboard carriers from the Humane Society, pretending we weren't horrified. It loving sucked.

One of the most rewarding things though was when we went to pick up Mr. Bunny (the surrendering couple named him, not us). We had to turn his hutch on its side to fit in our Traverse, so I had to get him out to ride in a hamster cage on my lap. They said he wouldn't let anyone touch him or get near him.

He let me pet him and pick him up with no issues. :gbsmith:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

The Walrus posted:

switching from Oxbow to Small Pet Select hay is the best thing I've done for my rabbit in ages. she LOVES this stuff and has gone from 50% pellets 30% greens 20% hay to 60% hay 20% pellets 20% greens

Mine get a quarter cup of pellets in the morning, a handful of greens in the evening, and unlimited hay.

I get my hay locally, it's fresh and loving amazing quality and really reasonably priced. Less than $30 for a 50-pound bale. See if you have any farm supply stores nearby; even Tractor Supply has Standlee compressed bales for like $20 for a 50-pound bale - though the quality has gone to poo poo of late.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

"Hi, Daddy! I'm a cute rex-lionhead mix and you should love me even though I make it a point to pee UNDER my litterbox instead of in it!"

See? I'm even letting your tiny human monster pet me!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

We rearranged the house this weekend. As previously said, we have about a dozen rabbits left from October of '18.

As it stood, we had 2 cages on either side of the entertainment center, 4 in the dining room, and 4 behind the couch. After getting our new couch on Saturday, we decided we wanted our loving living room back.

So now, as I work at the dining room table, I have my back to 4 additional cages. I can feel big bunny eyes on me, including Jobie's New Zealand red eyes :tinfoil: At least we have our living room back, but drat if I'm not loving sick of nasty bedding, hay and pooballs all over the loving house, and being petrified every morning of waking up to another random Penny-esque death/near-death bunny.

We have a couple of local rescues willing to help out but they don't have space right now; they're our first choice because they vet prospective adopters. It's a lot for anyone to do this. I'm sorry to vent...but it's really loving frustrating and nasty and I don't want to know how many thousands we've put into these loving rabbits over the last year and a half. I love them all so loving much but I'm almost considering letting the Humane Society take a few, even if it means not knowing what happens.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Those are some pissed-off-looking lops. What'd you do, steal their poops?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

A few-pound bag of a quality food should get you through. Make sure it's timothy-based - alfalfa-based is extremely rich for their little systems. A goodly supply of timothy hay as well - they're supposed to have unlimited access to hay. (That's how I piss through a 50-pound bale of hay in 2 weeks with my 12.) I have 12 rabbits and it takes about 2-3 weeks to go through a 55-liter bale of pine bedding (would rather use paper but :10bux:), so take of that what you will. I'd use paper, or if you have equine pelletized bedding at a nearby feed store, that's the cleanest poo poo I've ever used.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Make sure there are no exposed cables he can eat, because he probably will. Or food, or anything bad. My idiot ate an entire candle in about 30 seconds, nothing is safe.

I can vouch for this poo poo. All 3 of our Havana/Silver Fox mix girls regularly munch their litterboxes even when they have hay and chews available. It's a miracle none of them have died from eating loving plastic. Jobie also ate the insulation off an extension running near his cage.

Deadite posted:

If you have baseboards in the rabbit’s room keep an eye on them. When my rabbit was younger she loved to chew on those

Also this. Jojo and Agatha both loved baseboards and door frames before they passed.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Smoky doesn't look super fluffy like an Angora or anything, but you should brush him from time to time so he doesn't shed all over the place. More importantly, he'll like you more because it cements you being his bitch :v:

ftfy

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

I hate to admit that we've sort of neglected loving on our remaining pre-mass-rescue buns since we picked the 25 rescues up. However, Zuba (the Original Bun) has been getting out every night (no free-roam because insane loving children) for snuggles, and she will happily let me plop her right onto my wife's chest, where she will happily sit for an hour before hopping off to visit with me and grandma. Last night, she snuggled my head for a while and little whisker tickles on my ears were superb. :neckbeard:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

I think you need to start mass-bonding your rabbits. You need to get to the point where you can have a herd of them running around making a giant cuddlepuddle for everybody’s benefit.

If we weren't trying to adopt out 8 of them (fat chance right now), we would. We don't want to bond unless we're sure; Jobie hasn't been the same since Sil died, and Perdita hasn't been right since Penny died. A stuffie does not replace their partner.

In this time of crisis, let us turn to Pongo, Henry, and Naenae for a reminder of what is important: humping the poo poo out of your stuffed animals around the clock. I don't want to know how much bunny :gizz: is in my washing machine. :barf:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Fellow rescuer friend of my wife's had someone from her church donate a shitton of greens, so she passed some on to us. Most of it was in lovely shape but out of 4 giant (think foodservice) bags of spring mix and 5 of arugula, I managed to get 8 days' worth of arugula. These are some happy drat buns and we thank her :unsmith:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Sorry, bunns! I know its not snuggle time but we track your weight!

Made the switch from pine (money reasons, metric assload of rabbits) to pelletized bedding. Never going back. :getin: In all seriousness, being down to 5 from 31 is a huge change and makes things much easier. Especially considering the shop vac and pump sprayer filled with quat sanitizer (since its effective against E. cuniculi and we suspect we've lost more than one of the rescues to that insidious little bastard), primed to spray out any sawdust that stays behind.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Oreo likes to piss her nasty girlbun pheromone-piss on the couch and dig every last bit of pellets out of her litterbox so she can shiss on the plastic, but other than that, all 5 are well-behaved. Especially Deets, in her favorite position in her bed.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Doom room

Sup Oxbow Garden Variety buddy :hfive: After Oxbow sent us like 100 pounds of the stuff free of charge because we did a 27-rabbit rescue, we became loyalists. They love it, we love it, and a 25-pound bag lasts forever with the 5 we have.

They certainly blow through Standlee timothy though!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

That is one chunky Dutchie, I love it.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Carrots and zuko seem to be getting along.

https://i.imgur.com/e42DPOD.gifv

"Motherfucker, go binky somewhere else that doesn't involve tail-floofing my face."

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

One or two of ours love the byproduct of my Bob Ross chia pet. They get fresh herbs (and I get a few pieces too!) and I get to tend to something ridiculously simple that doesn't die as soon as I look at it :3:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

You got off lucky, friendo. We had a handful of the buns from the massive rescue go that route.

- Onyx was the first. Hind-end paresis started, we did not have the Google-fu we have now or the money to take her to an emergency ($$$) exotic ($$$) vet like 2 hours away. We got her in at a local vet that does livestocky stuff the next day and she passed maybe 10 minutes away from the vet in my arms.
- She put us on alert, so when Silvio started exhibiting many of the same symptoms, we got him immediately to the vet. There was never an official diagnosis, just a whole lot of care. He never recovered the use of his back legs, but he got around just fine on his butt and forehocks for a while. Snuggles every night, all the best veggies, for a month or two until a nasty ear mite infestation did him in. Apparently they can infiltrate the brain or some poo poo.

We suspect, based on coloration and the source of these rescues, that Silvio (a silver fox) and Onyx (a Havana) were the parents of Nixie, Maya, Angie, Cleo, and Silvie. All five of them were dark like Onyx with the classical black/brown coloration of a Havana, while also displaying the silvering of a silver fox.

Both Maya and Cleo went down the same route as Sil and Onyx, only much faster. They both passed within an hour or two of going down in the back. Nixie is happy at her forever home with her husbun, and Angie is slowly being socialized at a local rescue. Silvie has found her forever home with us and is sitting in her cage silently judging my shitposting as I write this.

We have never been entirely sure what the gently caress happened. We supect E. cunniculi based on the symptoms and speed. Apparently that little fucker can hit hard and fast. And it makes sense. Onyx was next to Sil before she passed, in a large dog crate - piss could have splashed. Maya and Cleo were next to each other in medium crates - again, piss could have splashed. E. cunniculi is passed in urine, so...it scares us.

I'm glad Delilah is okay :unsmith:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Vet said 80% of bunnies test positive for it, which is actively terrifying

A lot of them are carriers, but not all of them fall prey to it. It's one of those weird loving things. It is absolutely not surprising that what happened to them happened, because despite the care they were receiving with us, they were rescued from a situation in which they were living in lovely wire cages within pecking range of a dozen rear end in a top hat chickens. The floor grates (ugh) were a quarter inch away from the shitpiss sludge in their trays, they had nothing but lovely alfalfa fatten-me-up pellets in J feeders and dirty algae-y water to drink. Their health was suffering and we had to pose as breeders/meat-rabbit-folks for the lady to sell to us.

Every loving penny of the probably thousands we have spent on those 27 rabbits over the 3 1/2 years since rescuing them - in food, hay, bedding, cages, litterboxes, vet bills - has been loving worth it. Of the ones that passed, they all knew love and affection before they died, and the taste of timothy, romaine, kale, spinach, carrots, bananas, all the loving everything we could do for them.

...I didn't mean to rant. The situation has just been on my heart lately for some reason.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Does bunbun have more than one litterbox available? I'm assuming the cage is open when she's out, but yes, it sounds like she was never litter trained. I don't think it's too late to start trying to work with her on that; maybe see if your friend has any rescues in the area that might be able to at least offer some training advice.

London routinely scatters his box everywhere; most of the pellets stay in the box but the hay goes everywhere and then he starts making a mess of it.

Avery, Silvie, Oreo, and Perdita are diggers, so their box contents go everywhere. Zuba is our only bunny that is 100% reliable up to a couple of hours out. After that point she might void on the couch while hopping around, and she also rarely goes on her cage floor.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Female buns can also be very territorial and buns piss and poo poo to mark territory. A backhanded compliment of sorts, perhaps :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Thanks. Thanks, Zuba. You had Mommy to pet you, I had simply fallen asleep on the couch.

You did not need to hop on my chest and piss on my loving neck. Hell of a loving way to wake up.