Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

what can I say, I’m an empty husk of a man with nothing better going on :imunfunny: 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hey no need to apologize man, I’m always looking forward to your advice. ;) (Not to import any E/N stuff here but I hope things get better for you, you deserve it)

Anyway, Broussette doesn’t destroy stuff, like at all. I know some rabbits do that but it’s not her kink. It’s really just the litter training I’m pulling my hair with. I’ll try completely sanding down the remaining stains, spray vinegar over them and setting up a small pen outside her cage like you advised. Put food near the litter box as well, that should help. Will report back. (hopefully with some good results)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Cool cool, gotta make sure Broussette never finds out about this thread.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I worry about Ludo's teeth sometimes because he just...doesn't chew stuff that isn't his food. I give him chew sticks and toys and he just doesn't seem to care. But his teeth look fine to me.

Don't worry, contrary to a widespread belief rabbits don't need to chew on hard stuff to grind down their teeth and it can actually be bad for them. Chewing is more down to personality and environment, if he doesn't like to destroy stuff to be happy then all the better for you. :)

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Update on Broussette's bladder: yesterday she looked me dead in the eye before peeing all over my Denon receiver.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

She already knows, friend. She already knows.

:tinfoil:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You guys are being really loving dumb. I'm sorry. But you free range your rabbit despite the fact that she's peeing all over the place and now doing hundreds of dollars worth of damage to your stuff. You sanded your floors. No rabbit's perceived "freedom" is worth that. They are dumb, dumb animals and they will never be able to conceptualize- much less appreciate- you greatly inconveniencing yourself for their sake. Also, consider yourself lucky that the receiver didn't grenade itself or start an electrical fire.

Put down plastic sheeting/liner, buy a cheap 8x6/6x6/4x6 rug off of the internet or craigslist and pop 1-2 ex-pens linked together on top of it. Or forego the rug if the idea of tossing it in a year bugs you and use interlocking gym floor tiles or, better yet, a big rubber/plastic floor mat if you don't mind the aesthetics.

Also- have you checked her health out? Incontinence/holding and purging/greatly destabilized urination behavior can be a sign of injury or illness. Maybe she picked up a UTI from your parents' house?

Edit: there are a variety of hard and flexible flooring options out there for dog kennels (decking, mats, tiles, etc). That's probably the best covering material if it's available to you.

Double fantasy edit: also rabbits hate wood floors because their whole system of locomotion requires them to get a good grip when hipping and hopping about. my old trio were way happier on carpeted or rubber floors.

Dude don't freak out, the receiver is fine. (faintly smells of vinegar now) :D
The TV bench was part of the enclosure since I don't have a dedicated pen yet. I no longer let her out unless I can supervise her, hence why I noticed immediately what she was doing and put her back in bunny jail.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

How often would you suggest brushing, and what tool do you suggest? I know she's shaved/trimmed the bunny (Nutmeg) at least 3 times in the last 3 months because she gets really floofed out.

As I've mentioned before, I'm not a bunny owner. I follow this thread to get info and see cute photos, and I will defer to the experienced bunny owners in this thread. You all have such good information and tips!

If you look up Bugaloo’s post history there’s some good info. (I remember asking him the same thing some time ago)
I use a Furminator S, a deshedding glove and a metal tooth slicker. Broussette hates the furminator because it pulls hairs a bit so I generally use it last. The glove is much more tolerable but it’s not super efficient for a small rabbit and the brush is probably the best compromise but I have to be careful not to hurt her skin. I typically do glove > brush > furminator when she sheds and just use the brush or furminator otherwise.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Funny you should mention this. She has a husbun-in-waiting, but both of them need to be desexed and her husbun (Bart, who is a Holland Lop as well... I think they call his pattern a charlie?) needs to get over his nasal infection.

This is Bart burrito'd and getting his meds. I cannot get over this face.

Please feel free to post more. :3:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Good news everyone, Broussette is finally back to her clean self! :toot:
I suspect a big part of it was moving her hay rack back next to her litter box and I feel real dumb for not thinking about it sooner.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Our Himalayan follows the vacuum cleaner around to try and figure out whether it's the boss or he is.

At home the established bun-hierarchy goes like this: me > bunny > other people > roomba. Poor roomba used to be at the top but she eventually figured out it was all bark and no bite.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Also I didn't remember seeing pictures of the Himalayan so I checked and...

FactsAreUseless posted:

Here is rabbit.

Just lol. That's some trust right there, you've got a great bun. :allears:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Can you provide him with a box he’s allowed to dig in maybe?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Putty posted:

- I work 9 to 5 and sometimes get stuck in overtime up to 8pm or sooner. The rabbit would be alone for possibly 12 hours at a time and I don't know if that's detrimental to a social animal.

- It's very possible to rabbit-proof my home, but I get nervous at the idea that the rabbit would find some way to endanger itself anyway. I would like it to free-roam even when I am not in the house.

- Do they smell? Does the large amount of hay they eat smell? Do I smell?

For reference, the only other animal I've had as a pet is a small dog.

Welcome !

Can't reply to everything but here are some general tips:

- Rabbits are actually a good match for your average 9 to 5 schedule because they are most active in the morning when you wake up and in the evening when you come home. They spend the rest of their time chilling, sleeping, and generally laying about. (see FAU's post on the previous page) Most pet rabbits I've had were alone and that did not cause any issue, although of course I made sure to play with them regularly. Their toys are cheap:

:allears:

- Free roam is doable with a bit of experience and bunny proofing but still very much depends on your rabbit's temperament. In terms of breeds I would probably recommend a Holland lop? They are friendly and usually pretty cuddly, even if a bit stubborn. I think they can be prone to certain hereditary problems though. (specifically: skull malformations leading to teeth misalignment)

- Rabbits don't really smell -especially females- they are clean pets. (just watch them groom the moment you're done petting them, it never fails) However certain foods like endives can make their urine smell. Just make sure to empty their litter box frequently. Cleaning it regularly will also help you notice if they stop pooping entirely, rabbits have very fragile digestive systems and apathy/lack of appetite should be cause for immediate concern. (google "stasis")

Also please never buy those flashy bags of "mix" food available everywhere:
https://www.consoanimo.com/avis-mix-lapins-nains-cereales-riga.html

These are mostly garbage, your bunny will only eat half of it and might develop deficiencies. Hay, fresh vegetables and water should be its main source of food. Good pellets should look like these: https://www.zoomalia.com/animalerie/versele-laga-cuni-complete-pour-rongeurs-adultes-p-16089.html

Lastly, if your only previous experience was with dogs, maybe adopt a flemmish, they're quite big. :D (don't do it)

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

shame on an IGA posted:

Bun poop is one of the most remarkably scentless substances on earth

I use it as fertilizer for my plants.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Yeah, seems fine. Eating like normal here at the hotel. So that's one less thing to worry about on what has been an extremely long few days. 1300 miles left to go!
:negative:

You type "moving" and as a euro goon I read "somewhere that's a 20/30 minutes drive away from where I currently live, no big deal". Holy smokes, I guess moving in the US can really suck.

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Update. Day one of the drive. He's doing ok. Doesn't seem to love the car, won't eat anything while I'm driving or while we're stopped and I put things in front of him.

That's to be expected, none my rabbits enjoyed eating while on the move even when presented with their favorite food. Hopefully he'll settle in a bit.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harriet is being very helpful in the garden. She will hop onto the patio stones and eat the weeds growing between them. She also offered to help our neighbour. By pulling apart the fence and half climbing through it before I noticed and grabbed her.

Is your neighbour aware he’s living next to a class 5 weapon owner?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Remora posted:

Or you're so lazy you just devote a bedroom to rabbit use.

Be like me and move in your rabbits apartment. I hope she doesn’t kick me out some day.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Themata posted:

- In the mornings, it's impossible to wake up and not do anything other than immediately go back to sleep. If it's before 6 AM, she won't react to me doing something like checking my phone for the time. After that though... if she hears even the slightest hint of me being awake, she bolts over to the second story of her cage and stares 'directly' at me. Then she'll do some head twists and run over to where I unlock the cage, attempting to help me open it. Then she'll sit there and wait for me to pet her for a few minutes.

I've trained Broussette to hop my bedside when I wake up and call her in the morning, it's the cutest thing. :3: (Yes, I know it's because I give her some parsley for it)

Nan-chan seems like an A+ bun'. Regarding the bladder issue, fixing them goes a long way but is not a 100% guarantee. Most of the time they do it to express discontent, affirm their spot in the household hierarchy, or when they feel their territory is being threatened. Broussette never attacked my bed (thank god) but she used to consider the couch as the iron throne. -or rather cocoa puff throne- A bunch of bunny jail sentences set her straight eventually.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

my dumb idiot broke his leg (probably) tripping while trying to jump out of a box yesterday. he doesn't seem to be in much pain although it's hard to tell with rabbits. he'll put pressure on the leg while he's standing still or bending odown to drink/eat but otherwise he's keeping it up off the ground. i'm trying to take him to the vet but he refuses to let us put him in a carrier. it's hard normally, it's IMPOSSIBLE with him hurt like this

do you think a vet would be annoyed if i show up with him in his litter box and the whole thing is inside a laundry basket like a russian stacking doll of rabbit accessories

Even putting him butt first in the carrier doesn't work ? At this point I'd say whatever lets you bring him to the vet flies. A matriochka of bunny accessories sounds pretty cute tbh.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

Plus rabbit poop is basically dirt and dust, it's like the least offensive poop of any animal.

It’s free fertilizer ! :nexus:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Sorry Ehud, I'll give Broussette a hug for you when I come home. I mean, another hug.
I went through your post history to find more pictures of that cutie (no luck unfortunately) and it's obvious you took really good care of your bun, so props to you for that. Most bunnies don't get that luck unfortunately.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

That reminds me I took a cute video the other day, this is often the first thing I do when I wake up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPghTPVtF0k

(sorry, portrait mode I know!)

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

The Walrus posted:

long shot but would any us folks be able to buy a few of these and ship to Canada for Cleo? Finding it impossible to find an equivalent product that I can buy here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00416I40M

edit: I can of course throw you some cash to make it worth your time

Silly question but wouldn't a regular ice pack achieve the same general purpose ?

Anyway, pictures:

A moment of respite. A chance to steel oneself against the coming horrors.

Towering, fierce, terrible. Nightmare made material!

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I mean they do look like 2 little ninjas. Conspicuous clouds of smoke should be your cue that they're sneaking around.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I dug up some old pictures and this one just cracks me up:

Was my mom's rabbit, looks a bit like Cleo now that I think about it. (just more french obviously :allears:)

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

There's a bunch of Discords floating around yeah. If anyone is interested I can link a very chill one that's already welcoming a lot of refugees while we settle the current situation. (disclosure: it's full of birds)

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Flashing my buns.

https://youtu.be/gqfV9EofEsY

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Stravag posted:

I managed to touch it tonight, hopefully tomorrow it will let me grab it. Dont have a pet carrier so Ill have to figure out something with a plastic tote or cardboard box or something

I once spent a couple of hours chasing an escaped bunny down my street. (Coming back from work so wearing a full suit and tie) It was past 10pm so not too busy fortunately. :shobon:

You can try and lure it with fruits or some fragrant greens like dill or fennel but ultimately it’s unlikely it will just let you grab it easily, even if this one seems docile. A big cardboard box is a good option, if the bunny is hopping away from you you can try to slowly corner it to put it in the box.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah chasing was probably not the right word. (ESL) Running after a bun is indeed counterproductive.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I’m currently visiting my parents for Christmas and I’ve had on the back of my mind for a while now that my bunny would be much happier if she lived with them. :(

I live in a tiny apartment with a slippery wooden floor that she can’t run on (I’ve bought carpets but still) while they have a big house and a nice garden. They have a super friendly rabbit of their own that she gets along with very well so they keep each other company. I just feel like a selfish piece of poo poo every time I have to bring her back with me. She’s 5 now but it feels like she’s always been a part of my life and I love that rabbit more than anything. I just see as she’s getting a little older that I don’t provide her with the best quality of life she could have and it honestly fucks me up.

I know my mom would love to care for her and we’ve touched on it in the past, I’m probably going to break the news to her tomorrow. I just hope this is the right decision.

Please hug your buns for me. :smith:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

You could just get some carpet or carpet tile. Maybe get a second rabbit if you feel like yours isn’t getting adequate enrichment or enjoyment.

To me it seems like the biggest potential benefits to rehoming your bun are the space and the potential of bonding your rabbit to your parents’ rabbit.

Beyond that I just don’t know that I’d ever take a house rabbit outside on trips to the yard enough to make that feature really worthwhile. And if your parents are older are they really going to be taking your rabbit outside every single day for exercise, enough that the rabbit would really get comfortably used to “walkies”?

Any rabbit is going to spend the first five minutes in an unfamiliar wide open expanse like that nervously looking for predators. A novel and enriching environment, to be sure, but make sure that you’re planning this with a/your rabbit’s best interest in mind, and not what you imagine they’d prefer based on how, like, dogs or cats use space.

Plus I find that bonded rabbits tend to move around less/be way less skittish in general. They spend a lot more time grooming/being groomed, paying attention to the other rabbit, waiting for the other rabbit before moving elsewhere, and just generally chilling and lying down with the other rabbit instead of exploring the poo poo out of everything. They become way less dependent on the owner for attention.

Anyway rabbits are like cats, where adding a second one only marginally increases the relative expense and work vs having one.

To answer your question, yes she would have access to the yard every day with the other rabbit so it would make a big difference for her. I’ve also considered adopting a second bun but that seems like a high risk proposition, they may not get along as easily and the lack of proper space would be exacerbated.

I could also move to a nicer place I guess. :v:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

What are you talking about? Rabbits love playing with hanging fabric like this. :3:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Justa Dandelion posted:

First post on this site. Our bun is a good boy. That is all.

Proof. :colbert:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Deadite posted:

I wish I could find a vacuum attachment with a blade in it that would mulch long pieces of hay. The worst part of vacuuming up after my rabbits is stopping to unclog the vacuum hose.

Holy crap, this. I set up all her hay in a cardboard box now so at least that's faster to clean up

(modular bunny box/toy/anti-hooman shelter/hay rack/attack dummy pictured in the background)

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Reading that horror story I feel happy that my families' rabbits never gave a poo poo about each other.
Anyway, time to post bunny ASMR to lighten the mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woE0ZJUzbsY

replay at 0.25 speed for maximum effect

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

Huh, thats the advice I've gotten from the vets who come in specifically for the rabbits, and that they actually seem to enjoy it.

It's a debated topic but general consensus is it's very stressful for the animal and you should avoid it whenever possible. I've gotten used to do claws and butt baths without it now, my rabbit is pretty compliant in that regard though.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

Related, but different: I've been lead to believe all rabbits dislike being picked up, the only real question is to what degree the dislike it. last night I was reading a guide in lionheads that said they do actually enjoy it.

I guess Broussette didn't get the memo. :(

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

former outdoor rabbits are usually pretty chill with cats and raccoons and other small mammals of the night, in my experience

I used to have a rescue who terrorized the poor neighborhood cats who dared intrude on her backyard. She would just run straight at them until they left in a panic. (not necessarily relevant to this specific context obv but god it was hilarious)

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Lol what did you post to get that av Electric Bugaloo?

In my experience (2 lionheads) they are either a mix of friendly but aloof or completely evil, and that experience has been 100% young kids free.

I wish she was less terrified of being picked up but I can always just lay on the carpet to play with her. :3:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

The bonding goes well 💖💖💖

:swoon:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Rest in peace Harriet. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Terraforming your living room into a warren of cocoa puffs and hay. The way it's meant to be. :3: