Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
So it's been almost a year and a half since I lost Chompsky, and this next Wednesday we're going to look at getting another rabbit. My girlfriend has fallen in love with one on the humane society website who is currently being fostored, his name is Carrots and he's a brown and white dutch that's 9 months old. He has a blocked tear duct, so his eyes need to be wiped twice daily, but I'm getting very excited about this. I've missed having a little bun around the house.

https://www.giveshelter.org/index.php?option=com_animaldetail&view=animaldetails&id=37098047&tmpl=component

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
We will be getting Carrots from her foster mom on Sunday. I'm so excited!!!

I love his color. The grey mixed in with the orange is so pretty. He's 9 months old now, but already has 7 kids. Settle down, Carrots!

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Sounds like he would really thrive with a bondmate (and probably some sterilization first). He’s clearly sociable enough.

He's been neutered since becoming a dad. I'm not opposed to getting him a friend but I think we want to get all settled with Carrots first. It's probably be easier if they were both new and Carrots didn't have a territory to claim, but I still think we're just going to hold off for now.

There's a Valentine thing coming up at the humane society for bunny dating called hippy hour where you can bring in your buns for speed dating. We might look into that.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Organza Quiz posted:

Surely it must be hoppy hour.

bingo

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Carrots took to our apartment very quickly. He's already found some hangouts that he likes and spends a lot of his down time there. He's basically a cat, but he binkies A LOT. He also loves to sprint around our apartment, and he has no problem jumping from the floor, up over the couch cushions, up to the top of the couch in a single leap while we're sitting on the couch.

BAE OF PIGS fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 14, 2018

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Carrots deciding to jump to the top of the couch while I'm laying down.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

You bunny is missing an ear, please fix.

As I was posting this, the little fucker jumped from the top of a cat tree to an end table, and when I tried shooing him off, he knocked over a big plant display with his hind legs.

edit:

While I was asleep, Carrots decided to become an instagram whore

BAE OF PIGS fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 20, 2018

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Carrots eats more than any creature I've ever seen. He'll go through his entire hay manager while we're at work, and act like we're starving him when we go to feed him.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
If the issue with a smaller bin is the garbage bags (which I'm assuming it is) just have a smaller waste bin for your rabbit rubbish, and when it's full take it out to the trash and flip it upside down into the dumpster or whatever, and leave the same bag in there. It's what the cleaners at work do and the same bag ends up staying in the trash can for weeks sometimes as long as the bags integrity isn't compromised or something gross got all over the bag.

Also, your bun is beautiful.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Could you dump it in a giant Rubbermaid bin that seals tight so the smell doesn't get out, and keep it outside or somewhere out of the way, and then take it somewhere to dump once it gets full? Somewhere you're legally allowed to dump it that isn't a landfill and it will be allowed to breakdown?

Do places like CSAs let people do that? Or farms that want free fertilizer? He'll, maybe even make a post on Craigslist or something stating it's all ecologically friendly stuff that could be added to their own composting bin.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Carrots has found a new favorite spot to lounge during the day.

He was also not very happy to be at the vet the other day. He ran all over the counter and knocked everything over. The vet tech was able to hold him for a minute while they got his temp.

"You're going to put that thermometer WHERE?"

BAE OF PIGS fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 25, 2018

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Carrots has discovered that making an incredibly loud ruckus at 6 am will get him breakfast. We try not to give in, but holy gently caress dude stop throwing poo poo around in your cage and digging.

If we leave him with extra food, I'm sure he'll just eat it all right away at night. We also leave with with plenty of hay, which he will devour, but he doesn't want that for breakfast. That's for snacking throughout the day I guess.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
We cover him each night. He's fine until about 6 am, and then he turns into a monster until he gets breakfast.

I think it's due to the fact that that's usually when I get up during the week, and he's expecting it, so on weekends when we sleep in a little more, he gets pissed that he hasn't been fed.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
An auto feeder isn't a bad idea, but carrots is pretty tiny, 4.2 lbs. You would think he was a lot more by the way he ravishes any food placed in front of him. We usually give him 1/8th of a cup of pellets in the morning and another 1/8th at night. That's usually followed with a bunch of lettuce and with some of whatever other veggies we happen to have on hand.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I'm sorry man. :(

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I took a video of carrots devouring his dinner.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg7ebYMlbHV/?taken-by=carrots.a.day

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
get outta here balloogan. You'll probably get better answers to your rabbit murder questions in the trump thread anyway.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

RichterIX posted:

I've grown up with dogs so I'm no stranger to animals acting like you haven't fed them in three years every single time you feed them, but does anyone else's rabbit get way too buck when it's feeding time? Our bun never escapes her cage EXCEPT if you walk within 5 feet of her with lettuce, at which point she either violently careens off the sides of her pen or leaps out of her 5ft tall pen in a single bound and then acts really confused about how she ended up locked out of her own house.

Carrots will grunt at me like a total dick if my hand gets too close while he's eating, but that's about it.

He grunts at loving everything, but he's all bark and no bite.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

FactsAreUseless posted:

Our older rabbit chews on the bars of his cage door when he wants out, which has made our younger rabbit start doing it. Except the young rabbit has no incisors, so he just persistently gums at the bars. He's not very bright.

Carrots does this too, except sometimes he'll do it after we open the door, and then he'll realize "Oh, it's open!" and happily jump out.

Just a lazy saturday laying on the couch.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Carrots is the worst.

We came home from work and let him out of his cage, and we gave him dinner right when we let him out like we usually do. Normally he inhales his food, but this time he went to one of his hang out spots and just sort of chilled. He's done it before, but it's not normal. Then after a while, we kept trying to nudge him towards eating, but he wouldn't. We noticed he was laying down a lot, and he would move around frequently and then lay down in a new position all stretched out for a minute, readjust, and do the same thing. I kept trying to coax him in to eating, offering him his favorites, but he just wouldn't eat anything. I was able to pick him up completely, and that's how I knew he really needed to see a vet. He never lets us even get two hands on him.

We called the vet, but they weren't able to get him in until tomorrow afternoon, but we asked for a recommendation for an emergency vet which they gave us. After we got in, the vet tech looked him over, said he did seem sort of lethargic, and had a somewhat low temp, but not terribly so. She told us to wait for the vet to come in. While we were waiting, we gave him a few pellets. He didn't seem too interested, but he did end up eating one. By the time the vet got in, though, he had started eating a bunch of them. They sent us home with some critical care, and now he's sitting in his cage inhaling pellets and lettuce.

Hope you like that $117 bag of critical care, you dick.

(Honestly, it sounds like it was the beginning of stasis, and the vet said it seems like we caught it early/quickly, and I'm really glad he's ok because I've been really stressed with work lately and I would have lost it if something happened to him. We've really been bonding lately and giving him head rubs has really been soothing for both of us.)

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I know, I was just thinking the other day that I wish I had some around from my experience with my previous bun.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

The Walrus posted:

fyi my gf follows carrots on instagram and loves him also

Aw, thanks! I've been slacking on posting pictures of him.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Carrots is such a con man.

Girlfriend and I went on a day long hike yesterday that wiped us out. We're normally up pretty early, and Carrots normally gets fed early. This morning around 6, he was making a ruckus in his cage and wouldn't stop, so I went downstairs, fed him, and climbed back in to bed. He woke me up a few more times by making a ruckus, but I was tired and just went back to bed. At some point, he woke my girlfriend up, and she went down and fed him again and went back to sleep.

Around 10, he was making a lot of noise, again, and woke us both up. As my girlfriend got up, I told her to not feed him because I already gave him pellets, and then she told me she already gave him pellets.

Little food monster.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Electric Bugaloo posted:

lol, they do that- but try to give him hay if he doesn’t have it. Too many pellets are gonna make him obese and that ain’t good on rabbit legs, although it’s adorable as all hell. If he’s begging, give him (1-2) treats at a time or fruit/vegetable chunks, and maybe try feeding him pellets/veg twice per day and/or readdressing how much he’s getting now- especially if he still has some growing to do.

Yeah, he has access to hay all the time. We give him 1/8th of a cup of pellets in the morning and another 1/8th at night. He was just double dipping today. We also give him about 2 cups of leafy green veggies each time we feed him. Vet says he's at a healthy weight (~4.5 lbs) and to keep doing what we've been doing food-wise.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Carrots did that a few weeks ago. Something suddenly got his attention and he just kept thumping and running around freaking out. Eventually we could hear some dogs in the distance that at first we couldn't, but he must have. We think that was it.

Also, when we turned on the ceiling fan for the first time since he moved in with us, he went absolutely ape. There may have just been some kind of sound that your bun picked up that you didn't that freaked him the gently caress out.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Took Carrots in to the bunny spa today to be boarded while we take a trip to Seattle. Funny how he is Mr. Tough Guy around the house but once he gets in his cage out of the house he's a total wuss.

I felt really bad when we were leaving him, I had to pet him a bunch and coo him to get him to stop shaking. :( Even then he didn't stop.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Carrots gave us a scare this weekend. He jumped right out of his cage like he normally does, and started wolfing down his pellets, but after like 10 seconds he stopped eating them. This isn't totally unusual, he'll sometimes eat for a brief period and come back to food later, but this time he didn't. He wouldn't eat his pellets, or his veggies that we offered him, and then he picked at some critical care, but didn't eat much, and the same with some banana. That's when we knew something was wrong. He hates being picked up, and the only time I had been able to in the past was when he had to take him to the vet because he was extremely lethargic.

Well, he fought me and fought me, but I finally was able to corral him. Scratched the poo poo out of my arms. I was able to wrap him in a towel and syringe feed him some critical care. He didn't eat a ton, he kept holding it in his mouth and then spitting it out when I let go of him, but he ate enough I guess.

Eventually, he perked up and started binkying all over the place, and has been eating normally. But ever since I had to man handle him and wrap him in a blanket, he's been extremely friendly towards me. He's been jumping up on the couch to hang out next to me, which he rarely did before. He's also been jumping on to the top of the couch and sitting behind me. He's been doing it the whole time I typed this out. I even leaned back a little, and he like started grooming me (if you can call chewing on my hair grooming me.)

:3:

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Watch him for bowel obstructions over the next few days.

I've been keeping an eye on his litter box and it looks like he's making GBS threads a ton, like usual.

After the first wrestling match, he did go hide in the corner a bunch, and we counted a good dozen or so poops that kept appearing in the corner, so we were kind of thinking it was some sort of obstruction that we perhaps knocked loose or something. He also seemed to get better after I chased him around for a good 10 to 15 minutes in an attempt to pick him up and feed him again.

None of his poops seemed to be overly sized or misshaped or anything though.

Last time this happened we took him to the emergency vet and and they poked and prodded him for a while, and after the vet left the room for a few minutes to go look into something, he just decided he felt better and started eating everything in site.

He's just a weirdo.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Also, not a dig on what you did (honestly, if there was some kind of mass then getting liquid into his GI tract probably helped out a bit) but I'd wait a while before going straight to the force-feeding next time. Like a few hours probably. Rabbits can't vomit so if they've got an upset tum it's best to wait a while to allow it to pass, and if they have an obstruction you don't just want to pile food on top of it. Also a good idea to really water down the first syringe of critical care so you get him hydrated and soften/break up whatever might be in his gut.

No worries. I know you're looking out for his well being. I did make the critical care pretty watery and I did wait a good hour and a half to make sure he was actually being a lethargic bun before I went to the force feeding. He's so anti-being picked up that I usually wait it out first.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Carrots sometimes climbs on top of the couch while I'm laying down watching tv, and he'll run over to me and basically beg for head rubs.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

I love when he sits like that. It looks like he's wearing pants and white shoes.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
We rearranged our living room, including the placement of Carrots' cage, and he's not having it.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Carrots has been very adventurous with standing up and reaching for things. I had my cell phone on a coaster on our coffee table, and the coaster was just slightly hanging over the edge. He stood up and grabbed on to the edge of the coaster with his mouth and pulled it off the table, causing my phone to come crashing down on top of him.

I think his ego was hurt more than anything.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Goondolences Fart Johnson. Letting go of my Chompsky was one of the hardest things I ever did. Be happy knowing you provided her with a good, long life.

Question for the thread, though I'm not too hopeful. At work my shifts alternate from week to week (usually). Some weeks I don't have to go in to work until either 10 or 11 am, and then other weeks I either have to be in by 6 or 7 am. On the weeks when I have to go in early, I usually wake up around 4 or 5, and just sort of drink coffee, read the forums/news, etc. before getting ready. However, when carrots sees/hears anyone awake, he immediately thinks it's eating time and if I don't feed him, he starts throwing a huge fit in his cage. Normally I would just say gently caress it, it's not food time and you can chill until it is, but we live in a lofted apartment and he tends to wake up my girlfriend who is still asleep, so I eventually cave and give him his pellets. Of course once he gets low on pellets he usually loudly throws his bowl because why not.

Is there any way to discourage this kind of behavior? We usually cover his cage at night with a blanket but he can still hear me and see the light come on when I get up.

Bonus pic of the rear end in a top hat at the vet.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvAdOvQFUhX/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

BAE OF PIGS fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 27, 2019

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Rabbits should get pellets at feeding times but they should have access to timothy hay and water ad libitum. Beyond keeping him entertained and sated (no bun is going to get obese on all-you-can-eat hay) it prevents GI stasis, as in the wild/on a farm he’d be grazing nonstop.

If you or your gf walk by Carrots’ cage and he doesn’t have hay in the manger then it’s time to put another handful of hay in it- this is why hang-on mangers are great and they’re relatively easy to make if you don’t want to buy one/it isn’t big enough.

For the thread, more broadly- if buying bags of Oxbow hay at Petco/Petsfart at $30 a pop becomes prohibitive (when I had 3 buns it got wicked expensive fast), you can get amounts in sizes like 8lb bushels and 50lb boxes for exponentially less money from online stores. The best, though, is if you can find a hay farmer or farming supply/feed store locally where you can buy bushels as needed. I hear craigslist is good for finding said farms but I ain’t driving out to NH for hay savings.

My ex and I used to go through about 75lbs of hay a year and we’d order it in a 50lb box from Drs Foster and Smith for like $70 I think. It’s a real pain in the rear end to deal with that much hay in an apartment, let me tell you, but it beats dropping like $60 a month on the bags.

Next time I do it with a bun or two of my own I think I’ll split the difference and go with something like 8 or 25lbs. Just get a lidded bin of some kind and make sure you have the hay accessible so you can just shove it into the manger as you go about your day.

Also- Make sure it is Timothy Hay, all other hay is inferior for sweet soft rabs

We always make sure he has plenty oh hay. Hes just a dick

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
My girlfriend moved here from washington a few years ago to be with me, but left her cat behind with her mom. Her mom is now selling her house to move in with her boyfriend, so the cat is being flown out here next week to live with us. We're both a little worried about how the rabbit and cat are going to get along, but I'm sure they'll be fine. We'll just have to pay super close attention when carrots is out of his cage for a while.

The cat only has one eye, and our bun has a malformed tear duct so it always looks like he's crying. We collect pets with eye problems I guess.

Anyone have any tips or experience with introducing a cat and a rabbit to one another?

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
So far carrots and the cat seem to be getting along. Carrots is curious and the cat, zuko, seems much more timid. Any time carrots approaches him he scurries away. Zuko prefers to watch from a distance, but has gone up to him a few times.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Here are the idiots.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

FactsAreUseless posted:

Smug-rear end cat.

Probably how he lost an eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
God damnit, carrots just loving loves to stop eating, act uncomfortable, hide, and act scared until we get him to the emergency vet and they start running tests on him. Then he suddenly decides he is all better and wants to eat everything.

This is the second time this has happened. We had to take him in last night at 10 pm (and I had to wake up at 5 am to work an 11 hour shift). They checked him out and ran blood tests on him. While the blood tests were being run, I offered him a treat, like I had dozens of times already that night, and he gobbled it up.

At least I know his glucose, creatinine, and ALT levels are all excellent.

...... really didnt need an emergency vet bill either. Buuuut I guess I'm glad he's ok.