Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

We recently moved into a new apartment. We used to live in a basement with little sun, but our new place has lots of sun. Gracie loves it.

I told her she should be a model in the next edition of american bunparel but she only gave me the disdainful look she reserves for the worst bunny related jokes. Still though, I caught her later cleaning herself off in case more photo opportunities presented. Grace is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

my rabbit gets that look too but I always think its more spiteful than guilty.

just wait until you find that hole I chewed in the carpet, you fucker

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

So we're in the process of trying to book a vet appointment for Gracie tonight, but in the meantime and in the event nothing's available, any advice would be appreciated.

Over the course of this weekend Gracie's behaviour has changed pretty much 100%. She's always been a somewhat reticent bun but over the four years I've owned her I've turned her from an unfriendly little demon into a lovely if occasionally cranky bun that will even show some affection from time to time.

However, since saturday she's been behaving very oddly. Her usual patterns have changed completely; rather than sit on the couch with us watching TV she now holes up underneath the couch and won't come out for hours. When she's in her cage she refuses to go up to the upper levels, instead sitting motionless in the bottom, sometimes facing the back of her cage. When she's like this she won't even really move when picked up or prodded, which is really worrying as typically her cage is her area and she doesn't like hands in there.

Usually when she hears the crinkle of her bag of dried apricots she comes running - if she's in her cage she goes right up to the entrance and places her paws up on the rim of the exit in a begging posture. Now, you can coax her into taking a piece, but she doesn't move muchfrom the back of her cage and scurrys back as soon as she's got the treat.

She's still eating hay and drinking water, but it doesn't seem like she's eating or drinking much.

Her stomach seems to be its normal somewhat chubby self, it doesn't seem disdended or anything, and all other visible signs seem to check out alright.

They were doing fire alarm testing in my building on friday while I was at work, and it was when I got home that I first noticed she was behaving oddly, so I worry that perhaps she was frightened by the noise and this is psychological? She's been there for previous tests, so I wouldn't think this would have scared her that much but the change is so sudden I'm considering every possibility, and since I wasn't there for the test I don't know exactly how loud or how long, and if it was different from the previous ones.

Please help

edit: she's seven and a half and unspayed

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

Prawned posted:

Just asking cause you didn't specifically say (or I am blind) but is she pooping normally?

Yesterday her poops were very small and misshapen. Today however while still a bit smaller and less consistent than normal they're much improved.

And so is my rabbit, happily enough.

We took her to the vet (High Park Animal Clinic in Toronto) and he diagnosed her with some moderate GI issues. She got two different medications to stimulate appetite and to get her innards working again. She also got some painkillers, which resulted in a pretty much immediate improvement. She's still much more reticent than usual, but she's at least moving around rather than sitting in a corner and sulking for hours at a time.

The doctor gave us enough medicine to last 7 days, but considering the speed with which it seems to have taken effect, if this improvement continues are we safe to save 3 days or so of the medicine for use if these symptoms ever appear again?

It was Gracie's first trip to the vet, so it was also just a good experience as it gave me some peace of mind on other issues we don't have visibility to even as conscientious bun owners. We learned her teeth have slight spurring but are in no position to cause her pain any time soon. We also learned that she has a mass, likely a tumour on her reproductive organs. She's nearly 8 and unspayed, when we got her at the age of 4 we were under the impression that was too late to spay her so we were resigned to the fact that she would probably develop cancer sooner than later. So it's really great news that not only can we still spay her, the cancer (against odds) does not seem to be so far along that it won't be able to be excised easily along with the ovaries.

As an added bonus hopefully she'll be a bit more of a cuddlebun rather than her current state of trying her best to never let on that she actually has some affection for her humans.

Thanks all for your advice and concern. Here's a picture of Gracie being beautiful.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

Gracie is going in to get spayed tomorrow, she's seven and a half years old. Does anyone have any experience with spaying a rabbit that's a bit older? I have to say I'm extremely nervous about it. She has a mass on her cervix that will be coming out, but we declined the pre-op xray that would see if the possible cancer had moved anywhere else in her body. Our reasoning was that she needs to have the operation regardless because of the mass, whether it was cancerous or a blood clot or whatever, so there was no point in spending 300 bucks on an xray that would just tell us the risks on a surgery we absolutely *must* give her.

So yeah, I'm very worried. She seems to be in perfect health besides the mass on her cervix, none of the signs that cancer has moved to her lungs (wheezing, sniffling, shortness of breath, etc).

I also am really worried about leaving her in a strange place for a whole day.. I wish I could be there with her when she wakes up. I wouldn't have thought that I would ever care about a creature that's not a dog this much but drat if this little cuddly hateball hasn't just become a part of my family the last four years.

edit: well, not a hateball anymore. maybe when we got her. now she's a begrudging loveball.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 4, 2013

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

Grace made it through her surgery and is home resting. She apparently did very very well for a rabbit her age; they said she was very rambunctious even just a half hour after her surgery, so I think she's really only calming down since she got home. As a result, she's super exhausted. She's been nibbling at greens but we're hoping after a nap she wakes up and fills her belly.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

Just checking in to say that Gracie is well on the path to recovery from her spay. The histology came back negative as well, and the vet estimates that barring anything completely out of left field Grace could well live as long as 12-14 years. This makes me very very happy.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

I'm going to squeeze Gracie harder than she'll appreciate tonight. Condolences to all who lost a bun. It really is amazing what big presences they can have as such tiny little creatures.

Grace has pretty much mastered the 'grab and toss' strategy..

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 24, 2013

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

Does anyone have any experience with mites on rabbits? We were out of town for 7 days, and had a friend come visit with Gracie every couple of days. We got back to find that she had some pretty big patches of spotty fur on her back. At first I attributed this to fur plucking due to boredom, but after some research it looked like it might be mites. The visiting friend has a cat, so it could well have been transmitted that way.

However, it's not a 100% diagnosis since there's zero flaking or dandruff (in fact, she already has some adorable and super soft fuzz growing back in), and she hasn't been itching at all.

We just spent more than a grand on vet bills for her so I'd really rather avoid the vet if at all possible.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

Youthful Spinster posted:

Hi everyone, I need advice on what to do right now. My rabbit Raina is lying down flat on the bottom of her cage and won't even lift up her head. She stopped eating regularly two days ago and has barely poop and what she does looks mostly like cecal. I took her to the vet yesterday and they thought she was starting statis. They gave me Oxbow critical care, cisapride solution for her stomach and metacam for her pain. She seemed a little better last night and when I stopped by to give her food at noon she was eating a little hay and ate all of her lettuce I gave her. I need any advice I can get to keep her going until I can get her to vet tomorrow morning.

my bun went through the same thing a few months back. if she doesn't eat lettuce, try kale or basil. Little (seriously tiny, head of pin) bits of dried apricot along with the greens. Keep offering her fresh stuff and also make sure whatever it is is thoroughly saturated in water for any possible extra hydration. If she ate the lettuce it sounds like she's getting better though, that's definitely a good sign. She's not going to get better overnight, just keep giving her her meds at the prescribed dosage and she'll keep improving, most likely. you did the right thing taking her to the vet and by the sounds of it you saved your little bun. her behaviour right now is a bit worrying, she won't stir at all no matter what you do? She might just be resting. If she's not huddling in her corner it's a good sign if she's anything like gracie

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

Youthful Spinster posted:

I offered her Kale also - she wasn't interested. I pick her up to move her to a better position to give her a meds (she was due again when I got home) but she flopped right back down. She hasn't moved from where I placed her in the front of cage which was likely an hour ago. I've tried to give her some of the critical care with the syringe but it doesn't seem like she is swallowing.

keep at it with the syringe feeding for sure, in my experience if they're not swallowing it's pretty easy to tell as it dribbles all out their mouth if you see her tongue move she's definitely swallowed it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

rabbits lying down <3 <3 <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjNnd1i3p0I

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

Chu Chu posted:

Rabbits ripping up phone books <3 <3 <3

http://twitpic.com/ctyso8

(Apologies, this was back when I didn't understand how to turn my stupid phone the correct way to take video)

Gracie loves christmas for this reason

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

rabbits in sunlight are so beautiful

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

Does anyone know any recipes for fried rabbit?

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 9, 2014

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

No, not in my experience. But Grace has a mat right outside her cage which is 'hers' and she pretty much only poops on that or in her cage generally.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

more pictures of gracie being beautiful. does anyone know what sort of breed she might be? we've been looking at pictures and have no idea at all. the only rabbit I've seen that looks just like her is a wild one in a park in british columbia. she's a sweet girl, sort of. she's bossy and doesn't like strangers, but her beauty always wins everyone over. she's nine years old too which means she's wiser than most people I know

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 25, 2015

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 13, 2015

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

Remora posted:

I'm so afraid for those cords

though it does look like gracie is plotting cord destruction, all those cords are pretty well put away. anyway, her taste is much more towards chewing on grace, sorry, baseboards

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

poster: 'hey look at my beautiful rabbit'
thread: 'who knows what evil lurks beneath the fur'

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

we got her spayed late in life, so since gracie's dewlap deflated she likes to find other ways to prop her head up while sleeping

edit:

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 2, 2015

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

e:

FactsAreUseless posted:

However, if you have a rabbit named Coffee: please feed your rabbit Coffee.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

I would definitely get some carefresh bedding for her to lie down and bathroom on in her cage. Also that hay doesnt look like timothy. A buns diet should be ideally about 80 percent hay, 15 pellets and 5 greens. Make sure you are giving her timothy hay, not straw or alfalfa hay. Also dont be too forceful about pets or holding her. The best way to get in with a bun is to just sit or lie on the ground and let them approach you on their own. If they settle down next to you they are up for some petting.

Get some mats and or blocks made of timothy for her to get her chewing instinct out on. For food get pellets with as little added sugars etc as possible. If you can get oxbow in aus it is a good choice, the organic variety is even better. For treats they go crazy for dried fruit, just be sure to give tiny tiny amounts. One dried apricot is like 40 small pieces.

For maintenance its just brushing and nail clipping.

Enjoy having a bun they are just the best.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

no worries. But if youre gonna take one thing from my post take the tim hay part, not the treat part

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

is bun hass spayed? destructive behavior like that can often be helped a lot by the procedure if she's not.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

reb

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

he's a major cutie and it sounds like you gave him a really good life. whatever happens know that you've been a good human and don'tbeat yourself up if you need to make a tough decision

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

that is a solid rabbit.

here's gracie. I've posted her before in here. She's ten. Doing well. loves: kale. hates: sudden movements

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

same. my bun would be dead of cancer years ago had she not been spayed.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

Gracie has been limping around the last couple of days - last night she was diagnosed with a mass of some sort under her left leg. They're doing a biopsy but it seems pretty likely that it's a cancerous mass. Grace is 11. Anyone got any experience in this sort of thing? She's still behaving happily enough but I'm worried about what the future holds for her.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Play it by ear I suppose? 11’s pretty old for a rabbit under great circumstances so I’m not sure that she’d suffer for very long, or that she might even live to see the cancer progress that far. Alternatively, she may wind up living to 14 regardless, either happily or unhappily.

I wouldn’t try to treat her at 11 beyond removing the mass if it’s impeding her movement, but if her behavior seems positive I wouldn’t be in a rush to euthanize her either. She sounds like she’s had a good long life so far.

Thanks. It's been diagnosed as a fibrosarcoma, in the connective tissue of her shoulder. in other words, it's going to grow quick and cause her a lot of pain. She's clearly in discomfort right now, even with the meds, but she still seems happy. The one time she was sick with GI issues she let us know, just withdrew completely. Right now she's just as happy as ever (maybe even a little happier with the pain meds), but she does have a bit of trouble getting around and getting comfortable when she lies down.

So yeah. We're just going to enjoy our time with our beautiful rabbit as best we can. Give your buns an unwelcome squeeze today.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's a gorgeous rabbit.

gracie says "tell me something I don't know!"

I say "thanks"

in other news the pain meds appear to be working well

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

bigger picture of cow rabbit please

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

gracie keeps falling over cause she tries to support herself with her cancer leg. its really sad but also kind of funny because whenever it happens little poop pellets just go flying everywhere.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

Gracie is doing really well considering. She's adjusting to her new level of mobility. The vet gave us some critical care to give her daily, but feeding it to her is a struggle. She will eat it off of a plate once it starts to lose moisture though, so that's a win. She also gets her pain meds applied to treats 12 hours in advance so she doesn't need to deal with syringes there. She's a feisty one. She's still eating a ton of greens every day and actually gained 30g between visits to the vet (we've been giving her basically as much greens as she wants and many more treats than usual). So things aren't all bad. They are pessimistic at the vet 'book another visit between a week and a month from now depending on her condition' but I'm anticipating her very much enjoying her QOL for the next couple of months at least.

since we set up her new pen area (she can't hop into her cage as much) our floor has become a poop floor. its fine.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

That looks like a great spot for her and if she's eating all her treats and greens she must be feeling pretty good too (all things considering).

Oh that's not her main spot, that's just one of her spots to chill in during the day. the entire living room is covered in poop. again, its fine.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

grace continues to Make It Work

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

grace was struggling a bit the last couple days... but it's amazing what an extra .5mg of meloxicam can do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

grace is still loving life, I'm happy to report. we booked a 3 week vacation in september assuming she'd be gone by then but nothing fuels a rabbit like spite. I don't think we're going on that vacation. at least i hope not. we probably are though

«3 »