Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Zilon
Jan 9, 2007

No one will ever know it's me!

ElecHeadMatt posted:

EDIT: Also, I'd like to point out that 9 times out of 10 (and this is in my own opinion) any kind of Game Design major is complete and utter bullshit waste of your time.

I've been hearing this a lot, and it makes me concerned. I'm not actually interested in game design, but I'm in a "game design"-esque major because I couldn't find anything better in-state for what I actually want to do, which is animation (2D or 3D, but 2D preferred), special effects, production design, etc. in my state of Texas. I visited the Art Institute of Houston once, and was not impressed. Thus, I go to the University of Texas at Dallas and study Arts and Technology.

Nearly any time that isn't used for eating/sleeping/studying is put forward to improving my skills and portfolio. However, I'm increasingly worried that I'm in the wrong spot, or that I'm not getting programs that compliment and help me develop skill.

How much is where you attended school valued versus your portfolio? Say, an ace portfolio from Small Name Art College versus a slightly less than ace portfolio from Ringling or SCAD?

Does anyone know of a reputable art school close to/around the Texas area or in the South? Something that's respected within the industry, I mean. Both Ringling and SCAD I've heard good things about, but being so far away sort of makes me uncomfortable, honestly.

Not Zilon fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 29, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU