Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

as this blessed evening falls don't forget the alcohol
This is for Same or anyone that can offer their thoughts or advice really. I'm a senior computer technology major in college. There's two branches of the major - tech and design. Tech focuses on networking and whatnot whereas design is more web focused (between database stuff, creating/designing/coding sites, and some programming here and there). I'm in the design option and some of the courses have overlapped with the graphic design major and really got me interested in the whole idea of graphic design. The courses in graphic design that I took (typography, designing for the web, etc) I found that I did very well in because I was very interested in them and put a lot of work into them. That said, come May when I graduate I'm probably going to get into doing some web stuff in terms of a job but the idea is I'm going to back to school and complete the graphic design program (between loans and other circumstance it's not really an option to stay another year or two right now).

So here's my question: what advice can you give someone in my position? Anything from where to start, how to build a good portfolio, or what I can do on my own time to brush up and get good experience/practice while I wait to go back to school? What's it like getting into the field, etc? Anything at all would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

Mansurus posted:

What is the general consensus on the Art Institutes? How good are their schools? I'm looking to go into photography, and there's a campus where i'm looking to move (Philadelphia).

I'm a bit biased against chain schools; they just seem really shady and greedy, and i've heard that employers don't look highly upon it. However, they do have the largest number of courses for photography of all the schools i've checked into.

My buddy is about to finish up his program there doing 3D animation and he's done some pretty crazy poo poo. He's currently doing an internship for some company doing 3D models of trucks for them and it's some really awesome stuff. I can't say from experience but he seems to have liked it there. On the other hand it is a chain school and one of the administrators I work with here has worked at the Philadelphia Art institute and his personal opinion of it is that "Hey, it's a chain school. They get you in, they get you out, they get your money." - his point being that they don't really care to offer the kind of personal attention you might get in a university setting. Like I said, I can't say anything about this from experience either but I just thought I'd offer those points of view.

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

Anyone have anything they can recommend for learning more about typography? I took a class on it but I want to really get into it and get all that good stuff down perfectly. I've been reading "Thinking with type" by Ellen Lupton but I want to know if there's any other books or sites or whatever I should check out to help me out.

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

Adversary posted:

The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst is arguably the bible of typography. If you can only get one book, I'd seriously recommend picking it up. "Grid Systems" by Joseph Muller Brockman is another text that's certainly worth getting your hands on, although it doesn't deal solely with type. There's also tons of good typography resources on the net.

Thanks, I'll check these out.

Zurich posted:

I have a txt somewhere of all the books I've read at the library and whatnot, I'll try and hunt that down for you.

Have you seen Helvetica?

Thanks, I'd definitely appreciate that. You can PM me the list if you find it. And yeah, we watched it in the typography class I took. I loved the class and the professor was great and definitely helped me get a good understanding of typography but I want to learn a hell of a lot more about it so I'm trying to find more reading to do.