Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Hey everyone, wondering if I could get some feedback on my portfolio and resume. It's time to start looking for a new job and I need some more feedback on the stuff I'm handing out to people.

resume:
http://www.mcthrill.com/downloads/gerritt_mcgill_resume.pdf

portfolio:
http://www.mcthrill.com/downloads/gerritt_mcgill_portfolio.pdf

For the resume I mainly need feedback on the content and writing, the layout is only temporary and will not be the final layout. As far as the portfolio, are there any projects that should be taken out? What about the order of the projects?

If anyone has time to take a look, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Thanks everybody, those responses were a big help. I'm making changes as we speak, I'll update when the next version is done.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
It's always been explained to me that your cover letter should basically tell the employer why you would be the best candidate for the job, so I wouldn't assume that mentioning deficiencies would be part of that. Basically, I've heard from people that it should complement your resume, and tell the employer why you want to work for them and what benefits you will bring to the company. Go into detail and give the employer some details that they wouldn't know just from your resume.

Unfortunately I don't have any examples of cover letters right now except for one that I wrote. I might as well post it here too, because I'm sure it needs some help as well.

quote:

Dear Mr. Olsen,

I am writing in reference to the posting for Senior Visual Designer that you placed on the Behance network. I currently have 5 years of professional experience and believe that I would be a perfect fit for the job.

I am impressed by Hot Studio's desire to create beautiful, well-designed experiences, whether they are fully interactive applications or a simple logo. I am no stranger to creating engaging experiences, having worked in the educational game industry for the last 5 years. The work that I have created has to keep the attention of one of the toughest audiences around, middle school teenagers. Several of the projects I've been involved with, including Science Pirates: the curse of Brownbeard, have released nationally and been adopted into the science curriculum of local middle schools. Our mutual desire to create engaging, beautiful experiences is the main reason that I am applying for this position.

My current employment is in a small studio with tight deadlines, so I am no stranger to working under pressure. I do whatever it takes to get the job done and exceed the client's expectations. Good communication is necessary to create a good product, and I make it my top priority to ensure that everyone on my team knows exactly what is expected of them and me, as I know that any fault in communication can increase the workload of the entire team. While working on Treadsylvania, I found our team entering production crunch time with one less project leader than planned and two brand-new student artists as our production team. It could have been a disaster, but thanks to an organized work environment and my own experience as a Flash instructor, the new artists were up to speed and creating professional artwork in a matter of hours.

I put my best into everything I create, and inspire everyone to do their best as well. I have the skills, the know-how, and the work ethic necessary to succeed at Hot Studio. My resume is attached to this email, and you may view my portfolio online at http://behance.net/McThrill. I look forward to hearing back from you to set up an interview or to answer any questions you may have.

Writing cover letters gets easier the more you do it. One thing I would recommend is writing a cover letter, then proofreading it the next day before you send it off again. Also, this may not apply to you, but write a new cover letter for each place oyu send to, tailor it specifically to the studio and the job posting. It also helps to find the name of the person who will be reviewing your application.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

quote:

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am writing to apply for the position of Graduate CAD Trainee. X is a true British institution that for decades has designed and manufactured some of the most beautiful cars in the world. It is because of this I have aspired to join a company that I have admired for years, to both fulfil my potential as a designer and make my mark in such a prestigious company.

As a recent graduate of Coventry University, who have produced some of the country’s top automotive designers, I bring the energy and innovative thinking necessary to prosper within X.

I am extremely motivated and very tenacious when it comes to problem solving. As well as my current extensive skills catalogue, I am always looking for new techniques and programs to learn so that I may further myself, and my employer. I thrive in a team based environment but am also happy to take on work myself and accept responsibility for the result.

I am excited about the opportunity to join the X team and I thank you for your time and consideration. Please find enclosed my CV and portfolio for further information.

Sincerely,

The biggest problem I see with this letter is that it only talks about how you will benefit from the position. You want to tell the employer how THEY will benefit from hiring YOU. Take out everything about how you will prosper and what you want to do in the company and replace it with how the company will prosper from you. Put in some details about projects you've worked on or specifics on why you would be so awesome for this company to hire.

Also, I've heard that it's best to break the letter down like so:

1st paragraph: explain how you heard about the position and why you chose to apply - did you hear about it through a friend? Teacher? Website? Which website?

2nd paragraph: explain why you want to work for the company. Talk about tehri reuptation/ things they have made, and sell yourself as the guy who knows he can meet their standards. Talk about some specific points from the job posting.

3rd paragraph: talk about how some of the experience on your resume makes you a good candidate. Try to give some details about things that are on your resume / in your portfolio that they can't get from either of those. Relate those to responsibilities or qualifications in the job posting.

4th paragraph: one more sell, let them know what is attached to the email (or what will be enclosed in the envelope, if this is snail mail) and what your next course of action will be (i.e., "I look forward to hearing back from you to set up an interview or answer any questions you might have").

Sign with your name, and contact info.

Keep in mind, I have yet to actually get a job from this, I am solely going off of advice other people have given me so take my advice with a grain of salt. However, one of the things that I have heard over and over again is to emphasize what the company will gain from hiring you, and make no mention of what you will gain from being hired. The company already knows that you are getting a lot out of this (insurance, benefits, prestige, salary, etc). Also, don't start with "Sir or madam," call and find the name of the person who will be reviewing your application. If you can't find out, put "hiring manager" or some more official sounding position.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

A5H posted:

Their names is Val so I'm not sure if they're male or female. Dammit.
Thanks for the advice. This is really difficult.

Can you not call the company and ask the receptionist? I've done that with different companies I've applied to, and the receptionist has always given me any information I've asked for regarding who looks over the applications.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Alright, I changed my resume text around, gave it a new design, and removed 90% of the text from my portfolio. Anyone care to give me some feedback?

http://www.mcthrill.com/downloads/gerritt_mcgill_resume2.pdf

http://www.mcthrill.com/downloads/gerritt_mcgill_portfolio2.pdf

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

A5H posted:

Can anyone help me get a 40mb PDF down to 3mb?!

what program are you making it in?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

A5H posted:

I built the pages in PS then exported them as jpegs and then build the pdf in adobe indesign.

You could get smaller sizes if you only make the graphics in Photoshop and use InDesign for all your text placement (I am assuming that your PDF has images and text on the pages, if it's just images ignore this part).

Under file - export, choose PDF and click save. Once the settings page comes up, click on the compression option and change all the numbers to 150. This forces indesign to downsample the images from whatever resolution they were imported as to 150 DPI, which means a smaller file size. The downside to this is that it won't print very well. If it's still to large, you can try 72 DPI but your viewer won't be able to zoom in without getting pixelated images.

Also, I wouldn't export JPGS from photoshop for this - save your pages as a lossless, print-ready format like TIFF or PSD and let InDesign handle all the compression at the end. The big thing is to use indesign for what it was made for - laying out text and graphics together, don't use photoshop for text.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Operation Juicebox posted:

So this being the school advice thread and all, are there any UK goons who could possibly answer some questions? Essentially, I'd like to get better with my illustration. I've been drawing for ten years now and I really feel like I've hit the absolute peak of what I can learn on my own. I am dyspraxic and dyslexic and I do not learn very well from the 'read tutorials online' approach. It's been been mentioned to me before but I am seriously interested in going back to school for an illustration course, but I don't know where to begin. There are so many things I do not know, not just about the technical side of drawing (I just cannot figure out how to digitally paint, my anatomy is out to lunch unless I'm drawing breasts, I avoid lighting because I just don't understand how it works) but about the academic side too.

My main concern at the moment would be to whether it would be as huge a benefit to me as I think (so for those goons who went to study art and/or illustration, do you really feel it made a life-changing difference for you?) and of course, money. I do not have a lot of money. I have no idea how the UK system for getting on a course is like or where I should even begin.

Thank you in advance goons.

The way I see it, there's two definite advantages to taking classes - one is that you can learn from someone who is (hopefully) more accomplished than you, which will help you unlearn bad habits and avoid forming new ones, and the other is that classes force you to dedicating time and effort to completing projects. If you're not motivated to put in time or willing to listen to what the instructor has you do, then you won't really gain anything from class.

I have a question. I recently (about a week and a half ago) completed an art test for a potential employer. I have not heard back from them yet, and while I realize that it may take some time, I would at least like to know if they received my files (NOTE: I have checked my sent folder and the files did indeed make it out of my outbox). Would it be in poor form to send a thank-you note to the art director, who gave me the test? I realize it's customary to send thank-you letters for job interviews, but I don't know if it's appropriate here as we have only talked via e-mail. Should I send a thank-you e-mail or just keep waiting?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I don't have any hard statistics but I know of at least a couple people who got hired on long-term after doing freelance work for studios. If you really want to work at the studio, I would say take the freelance gig and prove that you can do good work. About a third of the design positions I looked at on Craigslist while I was looking for a job said "Freelance with the opportunity for full-time employment" somewhere in the description.

A studio that is contracting out freelance work might be unnofficially looking for new hires without announcing a position until they have a good idea of who they want to offer the position to, or is so swamped with work that they will be looking for new hires soon.

Not saying that any of the above is true, maybe they just need a one-time quick fix but it seems to me that you have nothing to lose by taking the freelance gig from the studio.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

SleeplessInEngland posted:

Will I not be looked down upon by future employees/universities if I walk out of an 'apprenticeship' only two months in? I really hate this but it's giving me work for my portfolio and something to put on my CV and I'm worried if I leave then it'll be a 'black mark' on my CV.

Go talk to the dean of your department, and let them know what is going on with tihs company ASAP. Specifically, that you:
  • do not have anyone to apprentice under
  • are being given full-time work and the responsiblities of a full-time designer, with no compensation or direction
  • your concerns have been so far ignored by everyone at the company, while your workload has increased
  • that your grades and coursework will start to suffer soon due to the stress of working full-time for less than minimum wage with unrealiztic deadlines (You might not believe this, but it will happen. Soon.)

In the creative world many, many people try to game the system and get something for nothing. As a graphic designer, your skills have a very specific market value, and this company knows this and is taking advantage of your inexperience to get work for pennies. If you don't stick it out, you will not be blacklisted after you graduate. You don't even have to list this on your resume. No one from the college that you decide to use as references will tell anything bad about this either, when potential employers call them. You know why? Because leaving a company that is knowingly taking advantage of you is NOT A BAD THING. It is a smart thing. There are other internships available, and other design jobs available as well that will pay you MORE than minimum wage, even as a student. Have some pride in your work, you're worth more than this and if you don't stand up to this now, people are going to be lowballing you for the rest of your career.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I thought about adding a car analogy to my post but I'm glad I didn't, it wouldn't have been nearly as good as Mutata's.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Fortis posted:

The thing is, I have no idea where to start. I have been doing art for the past four years but it hasn't been 'professionally'. I'm worried that I've screwed myself over by not getting into any kind of creative field shortly after school. I also have no idea where to begin, or how to start actually networking. I don't know if my portfolio is any good, or how to make new portfolio pieces if I'm not actually getting any work. I'm completely overwhelmed, and I am going to read through the thread but if anyone has advice about my situation specifically I'm sure it would be very, very helpful.

For reference, this is my portfolio:
http://www.zackcorcoran.com

This is what I know is wrong with my portfolio: It's woefully out of date, and I need to integrate the two project I've worked on in my spare time into it (a webcomic and a pixel art blog), but I also want to update the Illustrations section, but have no idea how to begin making new portfolio pieces; aside from the latest one, everything in there was a school assignment.
Any critique of it is welcome, as I'm sure it's not the ideal site format for a portfolio. I've never been great at that.

Talking about your portfolio site here: make sure that whenever I click on anything, I'm greeted with images. It's super annoying to click on a section, only to be greeted with an empty box saying "click here for images." I already clicked on something for images, don't make me click twice to get to the pictures. Speaking of the thumbnails, I HATE when I'm given a thumbnail image that is so small and cropped that I can't even tell what the full image is.

Take a look at this guy's site: http://www.frankstockton.com/

It's not fancy, but when you first load the site you're greeted with the dude's artwork. You should always greet people with your strongest work, and whenever they click anywhere on the site they should be greeted with more of your work.

As for the illustration section in particular, the last few illustrations (from food fight on) look more like half-finished roughs than finished illustrations. Make sure that you're only showcasing the best of your work. Provide some context for each one, too - if it was classwork, what was the assignment? What parameters did you have to follow? If it was personal work, say that. Give each image some place. You misspelled San Francisco as "San Franciso" in every image title.

As far as networking, I have less specific advice, I'm afraid. Keep putting yourself out there, and if you don't have any paid projects, do one for yourself. Pick an article and do an illustration for it, redesign a character for a game, basically do personal projects where you act like you're getting paid and keep putting yourself out there.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

pipes! posted:

You mean like Adobe Muse? :laugh:

Uh, I think he means Flash, the end-all/be-all of interactive design programs :rolleyes:

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Bring a portfolio with you. Preferably in a format they can read ( :downs: ) - I had an interview once for a print job where I brought in my portfolio on a thumb drive, and they weren't allowed to use it on work computers for security reasons. My experience with design and illustration jobs is that your portfolio is the most important thing, you personality is a close second, and technical knowledge of programs, etc. is a distant third. People mainly want someone who they feel will deliver stuff on time and work well with the team.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
It's hard to get experience in your industry of choice if it doesn't exist where you live. Most things TV and movie related (from my understanding), you have to be able to physically show up to a place on short notice as well as network face-to-face and hustle pretty hard-core in order to start getting work.

You make it sound like she just came up with this idea to move cross-country out of the blue, how sudden is her desire to be a TV writer?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Waverhouse posted:

I haven't given tech writing much serious thought to be honest. I have an acquaintance that works as a tech writer and when I asked him about he said he liked it well enough, but the work he described seemed not too much more interesting than what I'm doing now. I dunno if maybe there are 'degrees' of tech writing I don't know about, but I'd be interested what someone else might have to say about it.

In any creative field, whether it's writing, music, illustration, or whatever, the type of work that pays the bills is almost never the type of work you'd prefer to be doing. Switching to being a freelancer doesn't mean you get to spend your days doing what you want and getting paid for it, it means you get to do varying degrees of what you love for clients who may or may not have an appreciation for the amount of work that goes into what you do.

As far as getting published, that's a whole other ballgame in and of itself. I'd recommend reading Query Shark for a little bit of an insight into what it takes to get something published - there's an expected form to follow, and you're also competing against 100's of 1000's of other people who have the same idea as you - that you can just "be a writer" and make a living off it. The number of writers who make a living solely off of novel sales is very tiny. The number of those who made it big on their first novel and first foray into writing is a tiny fraction of that. I'm not making this point to discourage you but you seem to be really, really, really underestimating the amount of work and time it will take to make a career out of writing the way you want.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Doredrin posted:

I haven't really done anything in a while that is worth showing. Right now I am working on making a 3d animation of "loss.jpg" that I will hopefully complete in the next few months.

I don't mean to take the air out of your sails or anything but,

kedo posted:

This probably won't get you a job.

Try and do some work that stands on its own and isn't based on a niche internet meme, you'll get more mileage out of it. To put it another way, I don't know that there's any place in a professional portfolio for work that exists solely to make fun of another creative professional's work, no matter how much the work in question deserves to be made fun of.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
A good live example of your web design work is your portfolio, how does that site look and how much work have you put into the design of it?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

mutata posted:

If "live" just means "usable on the Internet" then it's time to get some hosting and domains and put your projects up where you can control them.

I was coming back to say this. If you still have the source code for all your web design work, give each one a subdomain on your portfolio site and host a couple sample pages (with all legally-required stuff removed). You could also do a skin for something like https://www.csszengarden.com the HTML and CSS files are open source and would be a good place to show off your web design chops without any legal problems hosting it as your own work.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Like above, I thought the intro and the outro looked like a preset you would find in iMovie. The ice effect and fire effect on the virtus.pro logo was confusing to me - are the two logo variations what you are shocasing in this emo reel, or did you create the fire and ice motion graphics treatment for a client and THAT is what you are showcasing here? if the former, consider changing the ice, as it suffers from the same preset problem as your intro/outro.

I can't tell exactly what you're showcasing here. Are you responsible for the logo design, the motion graphics, the t-shirt designs, or what? Why do you have a clip of T-shirts just sliding into place? If you're showcasing the motion graphics you did, that section is really unimpressive. If you're showcasing the t-shirt designs, they're too small to see and also not that interesting to look at. There's also a lot of direct capture footage of a game where there's not much evidence of your involvement, I would stick to the shots where you integrated text or other graphical elements into the footage.

Overall the general feeling I walk away with is confusion. I don't know exactly what you're responsible for creating in each project, and aside from Fragadelphia I don't know which clients you worked for or the scope of your involvement on a project.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

To be clear on the Pseudonym thing, I meant I was considering using one for my personal art and using my real name for any freelance work I'd pick up. Not the other way around. It's corny but I have always kind of wanted to use one, but if it's a really bad idea I'm not married to it.

I guess one other big question I have, is how do I go about figuring out what to charge?

Oh, and how to steer my focus towards specific types of work. maybe that's a stupid question because my portfolio should do that for me, but say you get offers for work and you know you wouldn't be the right person for the job. Is it ok to just politely decline or does that make you look bad as an artist? For example I don't consider myself very good at landscapes and I would not hire myself to do a landscape. But there is a decent range of stuff that I think I do well (portraits, realism, cartoonish stuff...) I personally don't think I'd be cut out for something like Video game concept art for example, which a lot of freelancers seem to find work in. I know the best answer is so improve where I am weak as an artist, but in the meantime...

Almost all of my freelance work has come from friends, or former coworkers. Talk to everyone you know even tangentially related to your field an let them know you're looking for work. If there are meetups or conferences in your area start heading to those and talking to people in person. Personal networking.

Of course you should decline work that's not in your field of expertise. If I said "yes" to every person who wanted me to do web design my portfolio would be full of crappy websites and unhappy customers. Learning to say "no" to work not suited to you, or to a customer you know is going to be a problem, is one of the most important lessons you can learn as a freelancer.

In regards to what to charge, that is the eternal question that freelancers always seem to ask themselves. The answer is really pretty complicated, an something that you'll have to figure out on your own as you go. A lot of it depends on where you live, an illustrator/graphic designer in New York, NY will make, on average, a lot more than one located in Boseman, MT. Talk to some other creative types in your area and see what they usually charge. Personally, I have a target hourly rate and try to budget projects around that. Most clients will rather pay a flat fee instead of an hourly rate, so there's a lot of estimation on your end for about how many hours a thing will take, plus time for revisions. No matter what you end up charging, I'd recommend putting in the contract an up-front fee, and incremental payments at different stages rather than one lump sum. If you or the client has to bail, you at least have payment for the work you've on up to that point.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I was extra stupid and decided to start my freelance illustration career right as I moved to a foreign country with a different language, the only way I was able to successfully do that was because I had some business contacts in the US who were able to give me a solid 20 hours/week of work on some long-term projects. I still don't know if successful is the word to describe my situation, but between my wife and I we're able to pay the bills and we're welcoming a child into our lives later on so I suppose we're OK. The big nerve-wracking things about freelance, though, are A. inconsistent income from month to month, and B. taxes and lack of paid time off (at least if you're stateside, we get some tax breaks and paid parental leave where I am).

About a third of my income comes from graphic design, and of the illustration gigs I have about 70% of them are for things I don't have an interest in or have a huge passion for. The big thing to keep in mind before going the freelance route is that projects that excite you, and that are really fun to work on, aren't a given. Most of the time, especially in the beginning, your bills will be paid by the illustration equivalent of being a cubicle worker. You have to be OK with that beforehand, or you'll be hugely disappointed in the long run.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Neon Noodle posted:

C. Motherfucking health insurance. :supaburn: I can't remember who it was who noticed the big indie comics community in Canada being made possible by glorious :canada: single payer. Thank your lucky stars daily if you are not an American!

Ahh. Right, that one should have been up at the front of my list. One of the only reasons I'm able to do freelance for a living is that I live in a country that isn't actively trying to kill people below the poverty line.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

ijyt posted:

I got banned and forgot to reply, but I've gone part-time at my current job because my bosses are great and understanding, so I'm currently hopping between Schoolism, Scott Robertson and Proko videos, about 4 hours a day + weekends. In terms of what art, :shrug:. It's too early for me to know what I want, but I think creature design might be fun, animation too.

Super cool that your employer is being supportive of your goals. I've had employers like that in the past, and I am so incredibly grateful to them for giving me the opportunities to flex my skills.

As far as what you want to do, you should try to figure that out sooner rather than later. There's a lot of overlap in skills for visual creative jobs, but each one also requires specialization and the longer you wait to dive into the specifics (the things each job needs besides "knowing how to draw") the harder it will be to stand out. The two jobs you mentioned, animator and creature design, are really different, with totally different skillsets and even working hours/conditions, especially depending if you are talking about 2D animation, 3D animation, movies, TV, or games. It would do you good to learn more about the working conditions and job security present in the fields you're interested in, lots of people think animation sounds cool but don't realize that an animation job usually comes with tons of overtime, burnout is incredibly high among animators.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Nessa posted:

So, it looks like unpaid internships in my province are only legal if they are part of a school program, otherwise interns must be paid minimum wage.

If I were to gain more experience freelancing, to build my portfolio with real projects, what would be a good way to do that? I have a profile on some freelancing websites and just recently signed up for Upwork. Are there any other avenues i could try to get freelance work?

So uh, not to burst your bubble a second time around but: sites like Upwork, Freelancer, etc. are generally pretty lovely for getting work if you live in an industrialized nation and don't have some kind of advantage. They are populated with the type of clients who turn to anonymous websites to get their work done (read: clients who do not know enough about what they want to talk with a real designer, clients who want something done as cheaply as possible with no other consideration etc.). You are also competing to undercut your fellow graphic designers, which ultimately only devalues your own profession. Finally, unless you have some hidden advantage you will be routinely outbid by designers in India or China who will gladly work for 1/10th of what you can afford. These sites can be OK to get $50 to $100 bucks to cover a shortfall every month, but overall they are just populated by a ton of people racing to the bottom of the barrel.

My advice for finding work on Upwork, etc.:
Search for "identity design," "branding," "brand design," an similar terms instead of "logo design." This will at least put you in touch with clients who understand a bit more about business and marketing than your average client..

Find some advantage that would make people hire you over a cheaper 2nd- or 3rd-world designer. My wife has several regular customers from Upwork, simply because she speaks German and searches out German-language ads. The ease of dealing with a German speaking designer instead of both speaking a second language trumps the other savings for them.

My advice for finding work outside of the freelance website hellhole:
Network, network, network - over 90% of my freelance work has come from friends, former/current co-workers, or other professionals in my industry. Go to meetups, hang out on forums, join slack channels, whatever you can do to get yourself out there.

If you find yourself with downtime and no paid work, do a small project pro bono. Find a non-profit you support and offer a certain amount of your time and skills for a project, you can write a bill for this detailing the monetary value of your donated time, and get a proportional tax benefit. This is not calling up a company and offering to work for free, you are legally recording time you donate with the expectation that you'll get a tax break from the government later on. (Note: I have never personally gone this route, I have only had a couple acquaintances do this in the US. YMMV)

For entry or near entry level positions, go ahead and have a couple of your best school projects in there.

gmc9987 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 13, 2017

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Nessa posted:

I was looking at other jobs as well, but those admin jobs with minor graphic design roles all seem to want degrees in administration and at least 5 years experience in an administrative position (but they still want you to be a MASTER of all Adobe products). Looking at a variety of other entry level positions, they all seem to require highly specialized training and experience that I simply don't have.

I went back to school because working retail was depressing and I needed to escape. My resume is just retail, freelance comic colouring, freelance graphic design (what little I've done over the years) and freelance illustration.

I specialized in web design while in school, so I know HTML5, CSS3, some JavaScript and how to build responsive websites. I figured that would give me a leg up on getting hired somewhere since I have experience with both print and web. Is there anything worthwhile that I can do with these skills?

Many of the more intimidating-sounding job requirements (X years of experience, master in Photoshop, etc.) are more to help keep completely unqualified people from wasting HR's time than actual requirements for the job. For example, many jobs being offered at startups in the SF Bay area say they require 5 years of experience in technology that is less than 2 years old. Granted, there's a lot of bay area tech-startup hubris involved as well, but the point still stands. If you feel you could reasonably do the job advertised but you only have 3 years experience instead of 5, apply anyway. The only hard and fast thing that should keep you are if they require certifications. Also, network network network. Knowing someone who works at a company will do wonders for helping to get an interview.

EDIT: Also, welcome to being a graphic designer/creative in the midst of the booming gig/sharing economy. It's a blast.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Nessa posted:

I'm wondering if it's expected to work on site in this kind of role, or if working remotely is more common, with meetings with clients as necessary.

These seem like good starting questions, if they weren't addressed in the original job posting. If you are expected to work on-site, I'd also ask about what sort of workstation they provide, or if you'd have to schlep your computer back and forth.

Other good question subjects include chain of command (who will you be reporting to and working with), payment rate and frequency, what sort of materials or perks they offer for their workers (even if you're working from home, they may have a corporate Adobe account that gives you access to the most up to date versions of software), and if you will be interacting directly with clients or not. Good luck on the second interview!

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

So I'm having a pretty big dilemma right now and I'm looking for all sorts of advice. Might as well try here.

Years ago I tried going to college to get a degree in Marine Biology which didn't work out at all. Despite really wanting to work in that field I don't feel I'm cut out for it. With no clear direction, I dropped out of college and decided to instead try building up some work experience just taking any job I could get at home. That's all well and good, but I do want to do something with my life that I actually enjoy. So I'm turning to the one other thing I really have a passion for; art.

I always wanted to be an artist but around High School I dismissed it as an unrealistic fantasy and stopped pursuing it. I thought that even if you put in the time and got a good education in an Art field, it was no guarantee of any sort of job. A risky career field that is unlikely to go well. I have no idea how much truth there really is to that; its based pretty much on second-hand accounts of the starving artist. I definitely feel like I have the motivation to learn and succeed in college art courses, but what's the point in doing them if it won't actually lead to a job?

I guess I'm trying to quantify the value of an art degree in the modern job market. Right now I'm looking at taking community college courses while working part-time. The college I'm planning on attending has a lot of art programs but I need to know if pursuing them would even go anywhere. Obviously I'm gonna try and learn more from the college itself but I figure it couldn't hurt to see if anyone here has relevant input.

Saying, "I want to get a job in art," is too general for any real practical advice. It's like saying you want to get a job driving vehicles - do you want to be a long-haul trucker? A delivery person for UPS or Fedex? A tank navigator in the army? A NASCAR driver? The types of jobs available may all build on the same base skills but they all specialize heavily, requiring you to pick a discipline and stick with it for a while (both in school and after) until you've achieved a skill level high enough to make a living on it.

As such, here is the best advice I can give you based on your general desire to make a living from art:
  • the number of fine artists (painters, sculptors, and other "traditional" mediums) who are able to make a living solely based off making whatever they want and then selling it is super tiny. Like, miniscule. Fractions of a percent. If this is what being an artist means to you, you will most likely be making all your living off of a day job for the rest of your life.
  • If you're looking to go into graphic design or illustration: Unless the company deals primarily in products that require extensive design work, most positions in this field are short-term and contract based. You'll need to be continually looking for more clients and work, and there will be months when you won't get any work at all.
  • Animation and video game art is not quite so short-term, but still not long-term (note: this refers mainly to AAA titles). Most animators and artists I know in this field get hired on for development of a game or season, and once that is completed they have to find more work. Hours are long and grueling as well - think 60+ hour weeks with strict deadlines, working over weekends, etc.
  • Regardless of your chosen field, the projects that will make you the most money and the most reliable living are going to be boring, not-fun-at-all, and frustrating. I've had the opportunity to work on some really amazing, fun projects in my career - games that are proven to increase science literacy in middle school children, available free of charge to teachers; ancient-egypt-themed-card games, and more. About 90% of my money comes from creating Disney Princess-branded sticker sets and coloring books using an abundance of pink and purple and ready-made stock art. It's not fun, but it pays the bills. Don't get any ideas in your head that making a living in art is anything other than work like any other job.

If there's a specific field you want to enter we can give you some better advice but above is what I would tell anyone looking to enter a career in art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I dunno, do you already have an audience or following on YouTube? What are your savings like? How long can you survive before you have to turn a profit or starve? Do you know what would make people excite about your videos, or what your "hook" is?

If you want any sort of detailed answer you need to provide a little more info my friend, but my opinion is - whether I would say yes or no depends on how well prepared you are and how much research you've done into both careers, and how prepared you are (in terms of youtube) to take a year or more where you don't generate that much money an build up your audience (this is assuming that you're starting from scratch, and don't already have a popular channel that makes you money).