Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck Party
Feb 26, 2013

There ain't no Party like a Duck Party

ijyt posted:

Is there any advice for someone in their late 20s that took far too long to realise what they want to do in life and now have to try and self study art while working?

I've been working full time and I found it almost impossible to study along side that, I'm taking a 50% pay cut and going part-time to give myself more time to study. I'm just worried about making up lost time and standing out in an industry that seems to be having more and more freakishly talented 18 year olds.

I know a guy in his late 40's that just started in the animation industry after a career in the marines. You aren't too old. He actually had an advantage when he started because his seemingly unrelated work experience made him easier to work with than some of these younguns who never had a real job before and have no idea how to act in a professional environment. My advice is to stay positive, do the art you want to get hired for making, and put yourself out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck Party
Feb 26, 2013

If you are interested in animation you should try making some animation to submit to loopdeloop. There's a bunch of goons over in the animation mega thread who have done them. You can participate no matter your skill level. There are some crazy good ones, but there are plenty that are a lot more basic. You won't know if animation is what you want to do until you do some anyway.

Duck Party
Feb 26, 2013

In my career (I work in animation at places like Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon) it always comes down to who you know, your portfolio, and how you test. They post jobs but they are usually filled by someone suggested by the recruiter, or someone people on the team have worked with before. I don't know if it works that way elsewhere, but if companies have recruiters make sure they see your portfolio. They will shop you around if they think you are good.