Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vile Pilot
Jan 19, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Should I take the safer route and try to get a CG related job, or try to make a living off Youtube?

Vile Pilot fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vile Pilot
Jan 19, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

gmc9987 posted:

I dunno, do you already have an audience or following on YouTube?

I only have about 350 subscribers, but one of my videos got 230,000 views. The only thing is it took me a year to make.

gmc9987 posted:

What are your savings like? How long can you survive before you have to turn a profit or starve?

I've been living with my parents for the past 10 years and can do so indefinitely. The problem is that it has gotten, and will probably continue to get, a little boring and redundant.

gmc9987 posted:

Do you know what would make people excite about your videos, or what your "hook" is?

My plan would be to do an ongoing GBS thread asking for ideas. I can come up with alright ideas on my own, but not with daily or near daily consistency.

gmc9987 posted:

and how prepared you are (in terms of youtube) to take a year or more where you don't generate that much money an build up your audience (this is assuming that you're starting from scratch, and don't already have a popular channel that makes you money).

I honestly expect it to take more like 10-20 years before I'm good enough to make a living off Youtube, if ever.

*edit*after putting more thought into it, I think it's just better if I focus on trying to get a job. Making a living off Youtube would be so incredibly difficult.

Vile Pilot fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 23, 2018