Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d00kie
Feb 22, 2003

You must have been the Dance Commander.. giving out the orders for fun.
OFFER: Graphic Design position in Southern California

COME SEE AND WORK WITH SOME BAD rear end poo poo! We here at Sideshow Collectibles do cool stuff for Marvel, Star Wars, The Lord of The Rings, Terminator, Predator, Aliens, Buffy and more.

Description:
Full-time mid to senior-level Graphic Designer (print) needed for a fast paced Thousand Oaks based collectibles company. We’re looking for a creative mind, with the technical skills to turn concepts into reality, and the ability to take a leading role within the department. Must have expert knowledge of Mac OS X.4 along with the standard graphic software suite (Adobe CS3: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.) and a working knowledge of the MS Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is a plus. Full range package design experience (from concept sketch, to execution, to 4-color offset printing) are ideal. Talent and personality are key in our award-winning design team. Please email resume, salary history and any links to online portfolios and include “Graphics” in the subject line to evolve555 at hotmail dot com or PM me.

We are looking for a mid to senior-level graphic designer for our Graphic Arts Department with a creative mind, willing to learn and expand their horizons, and work within a team environment. The department is responsible for all product packaging, marketing collateral, trade show graphics, print product accessories, annual book, and more.

The designer should be fluent with the Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. Additional knowledge of the MS Office suite is helpful. Knowledge of 4C offset printing, flexograph printing, pre-press, color manipulation and product photography are preferred. The designer should also be comfortable in a Mac OS 10 environment and familiar with PCs. Creative ability is essential, technical skills are important, but personality is key.

Sideshow offers medical benefits, a 401K plan and an extraordinary work environment.

Qualifications:
Adobe CS: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
Microsoft Office: Entourage, Word, Excel
Excellent design sense
Able to work in a team environment
Able to effectively give direction and mentor, while also being able to take direction
Organized and efficient

Hours Per Week: 40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d00kie
Feb 22, 2003

You must have been the Dance Commander.. giving out the orders for fun.

pipes! posted:

In my experience, a lot of the so-called agency "prestige" is affection developed as a way of feeling better as what is usually just straight-up exploitative work environments.

After leaving a packaging job for a manufacturer that I really liked, for $7000 more a year and 60 miles shaved off my daily commute for an agency that was right around the corner, I thought it was the right thing.
I thought "Yay more money! Less commute! I'll get to learn a lot!"
It was great at first.. working on video game packaging, some design, primarily production. Then it turned into 12 hour days, then some days I'd be there from 8am until 4am fixing work that the egotistical art directors hosed up and rushed so they could go home on time, that was due the next day. Combined with the megalomaniac personalities a lot of agency owners have, it is definitely an exploitative work environment, you nailed it on the head. You get so caught up in the "culture" that is at the agency. The late night dinners, and they seem to do their best to make you feel like you're an important spoke in the wheel with sweet talk, or that you're a piece of poo poo and should count your lucky stars that you're employed by them, when it comes to raise time.
I have been unemployed for a week, and I am looking at going back to my old job for less money, and I couldn't be happier. There's definitely something to be said about quality of life, and most of the time an agency won't afford you that. I have heard the same story echoed over and over by friends at other agencies. I'd rather make less and go home on time, and not feel like poo poo at the end of the day.