Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skelezoid
Mar 30, 2003

"I looked in her eyes and realised how rare it is to find someone willing to have sex with me."

mka posted:

What kind of a job market is there in creative CG industry for very technical people with some artistic talent? I'm graduating with Masters in computer science at some point and I'm considering specializing in some rendering/shading algorithm stuff etc. (this kind of thing) because I find it quite fascinating compared to the usual code monkey database maintenance web2.0 stuff. I've been doing 3D and other graphics stuff for ages but mostly as a hobby (e.g. here's something I put together last week). I haven't really considered it as a career option for a while because obviously I'm not in art school, but lately I've been thinking that combining my CG hobby with my technical background might be very interesting and (perhaps?) appealing to employers too.

So anyway, I don't really know much about the field. What kind of jobs are there for this kind of people and what kind of companies should I be looking at? Is there reasonable demand for this kind of work and how competitive is it? What kind of things would they be looking for in a candidate? Any useful links or other resources?

There are a TON of options out there for you. I would encourage you to apply to some film and video game companies, look under something like "technical artist" and you shouldn't have much problem at all getting a great position with that kind of talent and experience in programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skelezoid
Mar 30, 2003

"I looked in her eyes and realised how rare it is to find someone willing to have sex with me."
Sounds like you have a dick of a boss like a lot of people. I'd be looking for another job if you aren't already.

I've had one or two managers who didn't know much about design yet insisted that their word was final. I don't know if I'd recommend butting heads with this guy over any design issue, it sounds like he's looking for an excuse to fire you probably because business is slow and the store (i.e. him) isn't making much money. Make sure you get another job lined up as soon as you can.

Skelezoid
Mar 30, 2003

Zurich posted:

How do you deal with wanting to be good at everything (or at least being able to bluff your way around most things) vs. spreading yourself too thin?
You sound a lot like me. I started out in college pursuing a studio art BFA with emphasis and Graphic Design and Interface Design (Web). I was self-taught HTML/CSS/Flash at this point, but didn't get too into actionscript. After 2 years into the degree, I switch into an interdisciplinary degree that focused a lot more on 3D technologies; I was aiming to get into the film or games industry when I graduated. I never neglected my Graphic Design skills since that's the foundation for nearly every design field I explored.

It was a mixed blessing for me, mostly. I always wanted to learn something new, but my scatter-shot approach never allowed me to measured up to the amazing portfolios of people who dedicated their time to one specific area.

I studied lighting, texturing, polygon modelling and a multitude of other things not directly related to graphic design. I also learned PHP, SQL, actionscript and flash to keep up my development skills. However, the one common thread in my studies and exploration was "what does this do for communication and design?" I think it's important to use the technology as a tool and apply it where best appropriate. Companies will want to hire artists and designers who are more than just modelers or button-pushers. The more you can demonstrate your ability to use the technology effectively the better off you're going to be.

Right now, I'm up in Vancouver working on the sequel to a best-selling next-gen console game as an interface artist. I work mostly in Flash and rely heavily on my graphic design and art background. Before that, I was working as a 3D generalist for a small company doing scientific visualization. Both jobs are challenging and both had perks and drawbacks. The video game work is definitely a focused area. One hard lesson for me was to resist the urge to write actionscript for my own screens. Whenever I worked on Flash before this job, I was 100% responsible for all aspects of its design and execution, spending at least two-thirds of my time writing and debugging code. Because I can't dedicate 40 hours a week to code here, I'm not going to be as efficient as the guy next to me who can dedicate the time. So far I'm happy with that workflow but I still have side projects: my ongoing 3D car model and flash game I'm developing.

If I had to get another job in the next few months, I'd probably be best suited for flash and interface design. Because I can't devote 40 hrs a week to my 3D stuff, I'd probably be looking at an entry-level 3D artist position if I went into that area, even if I was able to spend the next few months really polishing my 3D portfolio.

Skelezoid
Mar 30, 2003

Octagon N posted:

Well hey there goons.
So, if possible, I'd like some advice from people who may have been in my predicament...

I was in a similar situation to yourself back in 2005 after I graduated with a BS in Virtual Technology & Design. I concentrated in 3D design with the ultimate goal of getting into film or game work. At the end of the program, I had a pretty mediocre portfolio that really needed some polish. After graduation, I moved back home and picked up my old job doing web design and development for about 6 months. In the mean time I worked on polishing up my portfolio every so often. I had one really good project now that I focused my portfolio around, but most importantly I had an array of other work that demonstrated I wasn't just a modeler or designer.

With this, I moved a couple hours away to Boise, Idaho mostly to move out of my parent's house. I got a job right away doing 3D animation, modeling, design and DVD/Flash presentation. The other guys I worked with were mostly CAD modelers with 3D animation experience so I was basically the art and creative input for the team. This allowed me to focus most of my work on presentation and the design process itself.

After spending 2 years in Boise, I moved up the Vancouver, BC in January this year. If you know someone in Vancouver, I'd highly recommend sending out a resume and portfolio to the major companies up here. I got a job after only a month of looking (spent most of that month finishing up my updated portfolio) with a big game studio doing interface art and design. Two things got me this job: previous work experience in design and demonstrated knowledge of Flash and Photoshop. Even though I had never worked in the games industry and the position I applied for wasn't exactly entry-level, I was able to talk to my interviewers in the same language they use every day. The more you can connect in an interview the better. There is no 3D work for the position I was applying for but my portfolio was 3D heavy. However, it did show an attention to detail and creativity; enough to land me an interview.

Throughout this whole process, laziness was my constant struggle. I'd put everything off when it was my free time. gently caress I'm still doing it. I need to put together a mockup tonight for a new game idea being pitched and I don't even have Photoshop open yet. I'm not sure if any of this has helped much; I'd recommend getting a polished portfolio together if you're getting ready to move and apply to some major studios. If your portfolio isn't ready, then don't fool yourself into thinking you'll be getting a job at a major studio, you won't. I'd see if you can get a job at a smaller place and getting work experience. Grad school is going to be a waste of money unless you want to teach. Work experience is king in this industry and you get paid to acquire it. Start small and work your way up.

Skelezoid fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 10, 2008

Skelezoid
Mar 30, 2003

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

WOOO Lost my job today, in part due to the Economy, and that the production manager didn't like me too much.

So, while I'm applying for new jobs, I started wondering about maybe Canada. Does anyone know how I can find jobs there?

I'm also thinking South Korea, because I have two friends ( ones a goon) who just got accepted to go there.

Lastly, anyone in Phoenix know of anyone who needs a Print Designer??

I'm an American working in Canada. Short answer: you find jobs here just like you do in the states, look for them. The web is probably your best bet. Put a portfolio together, polish it up as much as you can, and fire it off to as many places as you find and hope someone bites. Companies will only hire outside of Canada (by law) if they cannot find any qualified Canadian applicants. You either have to be really good at what you do or the company has to be in a pinch. There's quite a bit of paperwork involved on the company's end so most smaller places aren't too inclined to make the extra effort unless it's worth it. If you do get a job offer, then you're in the clear for 6 months, the duration of the work visa. If the company doesn't extend your contract for another 6 months and you don't find another place willing to hire you, then you've got to leave the country the day your work visa expires. I believe if the company likes you enough, they can "sponsor" you for landed immigrant status (or something like that) which allows you to apply for residency and eventually citizenship. It's probably harder to get a job here than it is in the states, but you'll never know unless you try.

Skelezoid
Mar 30, 2003

Liselle posted:

Planning on applying to only two colleges, because I don't want to go / live anywhere else. If I fail miserably, and can't get into either Emily Carr University of Art & Design, or Pacific Northwest College of Art, I really don't know what the hell I will do with my life.
Whoa, slow down there. You don't have to go to art school to pursue a career in design. Hell I went to the University of Idaho, graduated 3 years ago, and now I work for a major game developer (in Vancouver no less) as an Interface Artist. I can't speak for how difficult it is to get into art school (it's not terribly hard from what I've heard) but I'd apply to some more backup schools that offer a BFA program in studio art just in case. Make sure it's a 4-year university and there are more than 50 students in the art department. It doesn't need to be "the best" school money can buy, that's only important if you're going to be a banker, lawyer, or doctor. The portfolio you have at the end of your stint at university will be a thousand times more valuable than your degree.

quote:

Why the hell I am so convicted about going to college for art:
Because I am, damnit.
My entire life it has been my silent passion, and something that kept me going through the worst times.
I have a desire to end up working with the internet. Somewhere that could intertwine what I love most, art, and the internet. So graphic design, or whatever these schools call it, I am planning in majoring in.
When I asked myself what was more important, money or passion, I decided that I'd rather go to college for something I LOVE rather than something that would make my life financially easier.
I made the same decision to get into art, almost to a T. I went to an in-state school to get my basics out of the way and ended up staying for the full degree. I never picked graphic/interface design because I thought it would make me rich, I picked it because I wanted master the ability to blend art with technology and be in the forefront of how we can use art with computers.

quote:

[*]How do I put together my portfolio?
[*]Specifically, physically, how do I make it? What do I make it? What do I need in it?
[*]I was thinking (since I am only making 2), taking really great quality photos of my traditional medium work (generally 18"x16")and then printing them and mounting them in a sleek black portfolio on black pages. What did you do, how do I do this better?
You can't go wrong with this as long as it's well constructed. Make sure there's not a single thing "off" about your layout or any stray glue anywhere. If you can, get your artwork photographed professionally and get slides made (my application required slides of my work). This will make future prints of your work much easier, should the need ever arise.
However, this could be a place where you have a chance to show off your creativity. One of the coolest portfolios I saw was from a tattoo artist who mounted pictures of his pieces on corrugated cardboard that was bound together by some metal pieces and two bolts. Don't feel you have to use the standard black pages approach, but getting creative here can be frustrating and you might not have enough time to get it all together how you want it.

Skelezoid
Mar 30, 2003

Probably not. It all boils down to your portfolio, not your degree. I'd say you're perfectly fine with your BA unless you're looking to teach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skelezoid
Mar 30, 2003

I'd like to chime in and echo what Jabe has to say.

Think of it this way: 99% of the time, the portfolio is the only impression you get make on the people who may hire you. If you rushed it or didn't spend some serious time researching and iterating on it, then you've done yourself a huge disservice. For reference I spent about 2 months (mostly evenings) researching how I needed to communicate myself, what work I should be showing, how I should talk about it. Actually writing the HTML and getting my work together was probably 25% of my effort.